114 replies to this topic

#1 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:56 AM

When you sleep your brain shuts off the signals from your brain to your muscles therefore you don't get up and act out your dreams. For people with sleep paralysis, you come into consciousness before your brain returns control of your muscles which in turn makes your feel paralyzed and gives you the symptoms that sometimes are very frightening and realistic.

A few months  ago I was going to bed after a ruff day. I went to bed about 3am. I couldn't fall asleep but i was exhausted. then I kinda fell asleep. I woke up and felt as if someone was pushing me then as if someone picked me up and carried me I knre I was going threw some kinda sleep Paralysis but a few time I had questioned myself I didn't look because i was afraid I might see something. I couldn't move my body just my head. I couldn't talk. I could hear things kida like I was under water with some pops. I remember the wind blowing the window blinds and it making a big banging noise. then i felt as if someone was pouring a bucket of cold water on me. all of this happened in less then a minut but it felt like hours.

heres some stuff on sleep Paralysis
http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html

Waterloo Webpage
Be Good!

#2 chad1989

chad1989

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Hmmm, my interest eh?....
    Well i love loadsa things i love the paranormal i love gohsts and reading about them looking at pics and ocasionally taking pictures of them to! but im more interested in vampires, fairies, giants, were-wolfs, parralell dimensions, and loadza othr fantasy things, i do a lot of research into them, it is interesting reading myths of ancient civ's. I also love music all different kinds but mainly ROCK!!!! i love rock throughout the ages and have a huge collection of music which spans from the 60's to present.....I am interested in all world mythology, cryptozoology and mystiology......i do alot of reaserch and some things which i have found are real interesting.......
    Well that is all really if ye wanna talk to me jus add me on messanger!

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:32 AM

WoW thats weird........you sure you went into a sleep paralasyse? or could it of been a ghost/

huh.gif

#3 IsisoftheGarden

IsisoftheGarden

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 01:00 PM

This topic freaks me out.  I would not be able to handle it!

#4 Darklighter

Darklighter

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:At the moment my main interests are photography, ghost hunting, sight seeing, reading, and scrapbooking.

After emerging from my bout with a debilitating illness (Latin name Isuckus Muchhardus) relatively unscathed I've resumed haunting the boards.

Now mobile and armed with a camera and a taperecorder (among other tools) I'm up for investigating any ghostly happenings and haunted sights in the UK and Ireland.

Contact me at Darklighter_Solo@hotmail.com if you want to go on a ghost hunting jaunt.

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(chad1989 @ Oct 25 2004, 08:32 PM)
WoW thats weird........you sure you went into a sleep paralasyse? or could it of been a ghost/

huh.gif

The whole point of sleep paralysis is that many mistake it for ghostly occurances.
It's a normal, albeit scary, occurance that happens to many people throughout their lives.
It scared me so hard the first time it happened to me that I couldn't sleep in my room for about 1 year.  For the first 6 months I slept in my mum's room either because I ran in there in the middle of the night, or I just refused to sleep in there at all.
The next 6 months I'd spend maybe 5 out of 7 nights in my mum's room for the same reasons.

It's scary, but it's not a ghost, no matter how convinced you are of it.

Posted Image
"And I, of ladies most dejected and wretched,
...O, woe is me
T'have seen what I have seen, see what I see."

#5 Guest_Believer_*

Guest_Believer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:41 PM

My friend in Oregon says that there's a ghost in her house, and, one night, it sat right on her chest and she couldn't breathe.  She also couldn't move, of course.  I think she even said it lifted her from her bed a few inches.  

Yikes!  I even visited her house, believe it or not.  But, I don't have anything to report.

:angry:

#6 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:15 PM

I've had sleep paralysis off and on for most of my life.  None of my experiences, creepy as they were, seemed to be paranormal.  I think mine were physiological as opposed to ghostly.  (Not to say all SP cases are like this.  Some people's may have a supernatural component, while others' might not.)

Almost all of my experiences begin with a very vivid and life-like dream involving a sinister man in a black hat and trench coat who comes into the room where I am "sleeping" and touches my shoulder.  When I actually do wake up from this dream, I can't move and I feel an icy tingling radiating out from where he touched me.  I also hear a strange buzzing/humming in my head.  It takes a few seconds to go away and it's very unnerving!

But I don't think the man is a ghost.  He's more like a symbolic figure.  Symbolizing what, I don't know...

I'm not afraid of my SP.  Not like I look forward to it, because it IS unsettling, but it's also intriguing.  It's been a while since I had it, but it comes and goes.  At least I'm not the only one who goes through it!

Kate

#7 Darktania

Darktania

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:28 PM

I agree with Darklighter. Sleep Paralysis is very convincing. My GF had her first experience a couple of months ago. She became mad at me because she said I was on the computer ignoring the fact that something was holding her down. Scared the daylights out of her.

I'm a chronic sleepwalker so I think that rules me out for ever getting one. But I do have Wake Dreams which is the same thing minus the paralysis. During these dreams I feel I'm wide awake (just like in Sleep Paralysis) and I often see things like Shadow People, blobs, and dark clouds.

It's believed that everyone will have a Sleep Paralysis episode at least once in their life. It is also believed that Sleep Paralysis is the culprit behind all the alleged Alien Abductions.

Darktania
Dont be afraid of the Dark. Be afraid of what's in it.

#8 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:31 PM

I've suffered from sleep paralysis for years. Let me tell you it's not something that I would wish on anybody!! It's a very frightening experience, and when it happens, when I wake up, sleep for me the rest of the night is out of the question!

#9 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:36 PM

yeah i felt like i was floating it was scary
Be Good!

#10 My Nightmare Continues

My Nightmare Continues

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:31 AM

It happened to me only once so for thos of you that it has happened on several occasions I am sorry becuase it is frightening.

I had what seemed like a short dream in which the front door to my house was open and then shut that was it, I woke up a layed on my side not facing the door to my room.  I could then hear footsteps coming up my stairs, and then those foot steps making that familiar sound when walking over plush carpet, towards my bed.  At this point I am doing all I can to breath, I feel a slight pressure on my shoulder followed by a sharp pain and a forcefull pushing down on my side, my eyes were wide open and I could not move, talk or breath at all for what seemed like 2 to 3 minutes.  I then mustered up what ever strength I could and reached my other hand to my shoulder to push what ever it was away and there was nothing there.

Not sure if that is sleep paralysis or not but it was scary.

#11 spacemonkey

spacemonkey

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:51 AM

Although i haven't had sleep paralysis recently i've had several expereinces.  None of the times i've had any paranormal encounters but the first time i had it i did think i was dying.   I could hear everything and could move my eyes to see things around me.  I was 16 or 17 and had fallen asleep on the couch in the basement(watching The View).  I assumed at the time that there was a gas leak,  it was only thing i could think of to explain my inability to move.  Anyways, i didn't die and did some research and came to the conclusion it was sleep paralysis.  Now when i experience it I just try and go back to sleep. cool.gif

Edited by spacemonkey, 26 October 2004 - 02:52 AM.

#12 Darklighter

Darklighter

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:At the moment my main interests are photography, ghost hunting, sight seeing, reading, and scrapbooking.

After emerging from my bout with a debilitating illness (Latin name Isuckus Muchhardus) relatively unscathed I've resumed haunting the boards.

Now mobile and armed with a camera and a taperecorder (among other tools) I'm up for investigating any ghostly happenings and haunted sights in the UK and Ireland.

Contact me at Darklighter_Solo@hotmail.com if you want to go on a ghost hunting jaunt.

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE(Believer @ Oct 26 2004, 02:41 AM)
My friend in Oregon says that there's a ghost in her house, and, one night, it sat right on her chest and she couldn't breathe.  She also couldn't move, of course.  I think she even said it lifted her from her bed a few inches. 

Yikes!  I even visited her house, believe it or not.  But, I don't have anything to report.

mad.gif
View Post

Sounds like classic sleep paralysis.  I'd say that if this is the only indication of a ghost in her house, that she's probably mistaken. :-/

QUOTE(Kate518 @ Oct 26 2004, 03:15 AM)
I've had sleep paralysis off and on for most of my life.  None of my experiences, creepy as they were, seemed to be paranormal.  I think mine were physiological as opposed to ghostly.  (Not to say all SP cases are like this.  Some people's may have a supernatural component, while others' might not.)

Almost all of my experiences begin with a very vivid and life-like dream involving a sinister man in a black hat and trench coat who comes into the room where I am "sleeping" and touches my shoulder.  When I actually do wake up from this dream, I can't move and I feel an icy tingling radiating out from where he touched me.  I also hear a strange buzzing/humming in my head.  It takes a few seconds to go away and it's very unnerving!

But I don't think the man is a ghost.  He's more like a symbolic figure.  Symbolizing what, I don't know...

I'm not afraid of my SP.  Not like I look forward to it, because it IS unsettling, but it's also intriguing.  It's been a while since I had it, but it comes and goes.  At least I'm not the only one who goes through it!
Kate
View Post

This is classic for sleep paralysis.

QUOTE(Darktania @ Oct 26 2004, 03:28 AM)
I agree with Darklighter. Sleep Paralysis is very convincing. My GF had her first experience a couple of months ago. She became mad at me because she said I was on the computer ignoring the fact that something was holding her down. Scared the daylights out of her.

I'm a chronic sleepwalker so I think that rules me out for ever getting one. But I do have Wake Dreams which is the same thing minus the paralysis. During these dreams I feel I'm wide awake (just like in Sleep Paralysis) and I often see things like Shadow People, blobs, and dark clouds.

It's believed that everyone will have a Sleep Paralysis episode at least once in their life. It is also believed that Sleep Paralysis is the culprit behind all the alleged Alien Abductions.

Darktania
Dont be afraid of the Dark. Be afraid of what's in it.
View Post

I've had waking dreams too. I can't decide which is more unsettling. :-/ I'm usually a very restful sleeper, I have deep, lucid dreams.  I can control them, and I remember them the next day, quite perfectly.  But sometimes I get SP or WD and it freaks me out. I hate it. sad.gif

QUOTE(My Nightmare Continues @ Oct 26 2004, 11:31 AM)
It happened to me only once so for thos of you that it has happened on several occasions I am sorry becuase it is frightening.

I had what seemed like a short dream in which the front door to my house was open and then shut that was it, I woke up a layed on my side not facing the door to my room.  I could then hear footsteps coming up my stairs, and then those foot steps making that familiar sound when walking over plush carpet, towards my bed.  At this point I am doing all I can to breath, I feel a slight pressure on my shoulder followed by a sharp pain and a forcefull pushing down on my side, my eyes were wide open and I could not move, talk or breath at all for what seemed like 2 to 3 minutes.  I then mustered up what ever strength I could and reached my other hand to my shoulder to push what ever it was away and there was nothing there.

Not sure if that is sleep paralysis or not but it was scary.
View Post

That sounds like classic sleep paralysis to me.  When I've had it I was always lying on my back, but I haven't heard anything that says it can't happen on someone's side.

Posted Image
...O, woe is me

#13 CarriesGhost

CarriesGhost

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife rehabilitation of orphaned and injured animals....
    Paranormal photography, pursuing ghosts & investigating haunted locations around my neighborhood and parts of Connecticut.
    Skiing, hiking, nature walks and generally experiencing nature as often as possible.

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:13 AM

dry.gif
Sleep paralysis!  Very scary...
I have not had it in years....Thank God...but it used to happen all of the time...
I would try and wake up, I could open my eyes a tiny crack, but was totally paralyzed, it felt like I was being held back and pushed into a trance or something, I tried to thrash around, scream, do whatever I could to get out of it, I swore that I was flailing around.....then I would just let it take over, I felt like I was floating around the room, then I would gently wake up about 5 or 10 minutes later, I had not moved a muscle, my cats would be alseep on my arm or leg, totally undisturbed. ohmy.gif
I read, some years later, in a Sylvia Browne book that sleep paralysis is actually when you have been astral traveling in your sleep and you have not properly aligned while you are trying to come back in your body, like waking up before you are done traveling, so thats why you can't move....I don't know, it sort of made sense to me and help me not be so afraid....she wrote that the panic and fear is because its your body's natural response at the time.
Why I don't have it any more I don't know...I DO get the clapping/snapping/cracking noise just as I am falling into a deep sleep, which is also supposed to be a sign of leaving the body for astral travel...maybe I am just getting better at traveling... wink.gif  biggrin.gif  smile.gif who knows???
rolleyes.gif CarriesGhost
Posted Image"Nature is the Art of God"...Dante
We are a part of nature, not apart.
http://www.thearkpetsupply.com/
-CARRIESGHOST

#14 Darklighter

Darklighter

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE(CarriesGhost @ Oct 26 2004, 02:13 PM)
dry.gif
Sleep paralysis!  Very scary...
I have not had it in years....Thank God...but it used to happen all of the time...
I would try and wake up, I could open my eyes a tiny crack, but was totally paralyzed, it felt like I was being held back and pushed into a trance or something, I tried to thrash around, scream, do whatever I could to get out of it, I swore that I was flailing around.....then I would just let it take over, I felt like I was floating around the room, then I would gently wake up about 5 or 10 minutes later, I had not moved a muscle, my cats would be alseep on my arm or leg, totally undisturbed. ohmy.gif
I read, some years later, in a Sylvia Browne book that sleep paralysis is actually when you have been astral traveling in your sleep and you have not properly aligned while you are trying to come back in your body, like waking up before you are done traveling, so thats why you can't move....I don't know, it sort of made sense to me and help me not be so afraid....she wrote that the panic and fear is because its your body's natural response at the time.
Why I don't have it any more I don't know...I DO get the clapping/snapping/cracking noise just as I am falling into a deep sleep, which is also supposed to be a sign of leaving the body for astral travel...maybe I am just getting better at traveling... wink.gif  biggrin.gif  smile.gif who knows???
rolleyes.gif CarriesGhost
View Post

Well, I don't know if I always believe these theories that we astrally travel when we sleep, but I like the idea.
Though it does seem that people have all sorts of ideas about how things that happen when we're asleep are because we're astrally travelling...and that's a bit suspicious to me. But I hope it's the case. Because I have lucid dreams, and I'd like to think I'm astrally travelling. However, the dream state can be explained by those who are experts in the field. And I wonder what they'd say about astral travel.
Anyway...I hope that's the real reason. smile.gif

Posted Image
...O, woe is me

#15 Coliss

Coliss

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:58 PM

As I posted on the first board, I had an experience with sleep paralysis myself. I did not know what it was until I researched later. My eyes were open because I could see my room. There was a tingling and then I could envision a large dark evil figure over the bed. It proceeded to sit on my chest and I was gasping for air. I knew I was going to die.

I kept praying but didn't dare move or look. I heard what was like a very loud banging noise on the walls. Finally the figure left and I woke up, but I was not scared too much and I fell asleep. my husband did not report anything the next morning, so I assumed all was well. I think I had it again, because I had a tingling more recently, but I was able to stop the dream before anything else began. The first experience was in May of this year, I believe or thereabouts.

#16 Darklighter

Darklighter

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE(Coliss @ Oct 26 2004, 10:58 PM)
My eyes were open because I could see my room. There was a tingling and then I could envision a large dark evil figure over the bed. It proceeded to sit on my chest and I was gasping for air. I knew I was going to die.
View Post

Classic SP experience. I wonder why this happens, and why, as it happens, we feel an evil presence and feel it sit on our chest, to feel like we can't breathe...*ponders*

Posted Image
...O, woe is me

#17 REDRUM

REDRUM

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal of course. Why else would I be here? ;)

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:47 AM

Hey Gang,

Sleep paralysis is kind of a touchy yet passionate problem for me.  I've also suffered for years and have suffered many different forms.  Things have pretty much subsided latley to the point that I only suffer the tingly paralysis which then veers off in to that floaty feeling, about once a month.

Due to dealing with this condition and researching, I've developed a few thoughts and theories.  It seemed to be at it's worst while here in TN not that long ago.  And for those of you that don't know, there was a lot of activity going on here.  Activity that my brain's still having a hard time grasping.  I've been told by people that have been able to tap in to what's been going on around here, that I had an earthbound spirit that died at the hands of a not so nice man.  She was drawn to me 'cause I was in tune and she was scared and confused.

Due to my religious beliefs, I'm having a hard time grasping demonic presences in that name alone but I do believe that all of us can fall to either good forces or bad forces.  We have Guides on both sides of the fences and it's all about our choices as to whom we decide to follow.  My friend that was earthbound, had lost her Guides due to her confusion.  Her killer, (whom had also passed) left more of his dark forces behind to contend with those issues as those were the Guides he choosed to follow.  The more I delved in to what was going on around here, the more I seemed to stir up this dark force.  He wasn't happy about losing control and having someone nose in to his business.

Mainly it all started with these very lucid, recurring dreams about a green car that was seen just off our property line, smashed in to a tree with severe front impact.   There were later dreams of barns and a house.  Unfortunately, this dark presence really made himself known when I later found all the above mentioned things for real.  I believe that all these things were related and tied in together.  My eathbound having been in a car accident, possibly being held captive at this house and later met her demise and I feel is quite possibly buried at one of those barns.  Were these out of body experiences?  If not, I find it an awful odd coincidence that they appeared as they did in my "dreams" and the times I found them, I had no intention of going in the direction I ended up.  It was like something was guiding me and I let it.

Right after I discovered my barns, I had a not so nice sleep paralysis encounter where this dark force involved decided I was getting a little too close for his comfort.  It happened in the afternoon and I awoke basically (to make a long, strange story short) to him on my wall.  Swirling black mass with a very red face and even redder eyes that seemed to glow from within.  With him, he had a grayish, blobby mass at the end of my bed.  The best I could describe him would be a child's crude-like drawing of a ghost/monster.

With my paranormal SP (sleep paralysis) encounters, even though I feel the usual tingly, paralysed sensation but I also got these feelings that I've learned to associate with my ghostly visitations; muddled brain, bodily heaviness, slowed reflexes, also a tingling sensation but usually more localized to one area, crackly energy and of course, that feeling that you're not alone.  Neeless to say, I've learned to trust my gut instince because too many times have I second guessed and been let down.  Something we all need to start doing.

Not being able to think too clearly, I was trying to figure out what I had posted on the wall there that was red.  Right about the time I figured out there was nothing, (took me a bit due to my poor muddled brain) I knew I was in trouble.  

He then launched himself off the wall at me.  Here's where it breaks the usual SP mode.  I wasn't fully paralysed and was able to lift my head in order to look at the wall.  When he launched himself at me, my head got slammed back to the bed.  In my fight, usually wiggling extremities will help break the SP.  I was able to lift my arms and once I did that, they then got slammed back down.  With immense strength and a few choice words, I was finally able to fight him off.  How many people do you know that suffer extreme body aches and pains due to a bout of SP?  

This is why the subject's so touchy for me.  This is just one of the many bouts of SP I've had, majority regular but definately quite a few with paranormal undercurrents.  I do believe in the scientific fact that the brain shuts the body down in order to keep us from acting out our dreams and upon waking, there's a misfire that forgets to turn our body back on.  Sleepwalker's also fall in to this category only the opposite happens and the misfire forgets to turn the body off.  If one seriously researches the SP phenomenon, you'll notice that the vast majority of sufferers are prone or on their back.  I've had them in all positions.  The majority experience that chest heaviness and a smothering effect.  This has been one of the minimal side effects for me.  Most experience that all over body tingle.  Mine's mostly in one area at a time.  They also last usually no more than a minute.  I've never been able to time mine but I can guarantee you, they last much longer than that.

Now tell me, does that fit the regular sleep paralysis bill?

A theory I've come up with is while we're having our SP attacks, we're somehow more susceptible to the paranormal.  Think about it... it's a very unsettling situation so we give off massive amounts of energy, right?  Think about how tired you feel after a good scare or a good cry or temper tantrum?  Once the adrenaline wears off, we're pretty drained, right?  There's their source of fuel, our energy!  Also, throw in the fact that we're paralysed and totally at their mercy, what perfect opportunity we present them with.

I somehow believe that those of us that are more sensitive to the goings on with the paranormal, we're giving them the open door that they need.

Sorry if I seem a little defensive but I've just heard far too many people try to lump me in to the scientific explanation.  To me it seems odd that my SP bouts were at their peak when my extreme activity around here was as well.  Also worth noting, I might have a bout once a month now.  They're all the nice, floaty, tingly sensation bouts.

SP doesn't scare me now when I feel these regular symptoms.  It's when I feel the more intense ones that I really start to get my guard up, as you can well imagine.   Which I haven't felt since I've been able to help my earthbound "friend" cross over, might I add.  

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow

#18 Wraith

Wraith

GhostStudy Photo Analyst

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(CarriesGhost @ Oct 26 2004, 08:13 AM)
I DO get the clapping/snapping/cracking noise just as I am falling into a deep sleep, which is also supposed to be a sign of leaving the body for astral travel.
View Post

Thanks, CarrieGhost, it's good to know that I am not the only one who is experiencing this. Over time, the popping sounds should get quieter and happen less often. BTW: Have you ever seen a flash of white light when the sound occurs?

EDIT: Deleted previous post. Misunderstood experience quoted by another post.

Edited by Wraith, 28 October 2004 - 12:42 AM.

#19 Darklighter

Darklighter

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE(REDRUM @ Oct 27 2004, 06:47 PM)
Hey Gang,

Sleep paralysis is kind of a touchy yet passionate problem for me.  I've also suffered for years and have suffered many different forms.  Things have pretty much subsided latley to the point that I only suffer the tingly paralysis which then veers off in to that floaty feeling, about once a month.

Due to dealing with this condition and researching, I've developed a few thoughts and theories.  It seemed to be at it's worst while here in TN not that long ago.  And for those of you that don't know, there was a lot of activity going on here.  Activity that my brain's still having a hard time grasping.  I've been told by people that have been able to tap in to what's been going on around here, that I had an earthbound spirit that died at the hands of a not so nice man.  She was drawn to me 'cause I was in tune and she was scared and confused.

Due to my religious beliefs, I'm having a hard time grasping demonic presences in that name alone but I do believe that all of us can fall to either good forces or bad forces.  We have Guides on both sides of the fences and it's all about our choices as to whom we decide to follow.  My friend that was earthbound, had lost her Guides due to her confusion.  Her killer, (whom had also passed) left more of his dark forces behind to contend with those issues as those were the Guides he choosed to follow.  The more I delved in to what was going on around here, the more I seemed to stir up this dark force.  He wasn't happy about losing control and having someone nose in to his business.

Mainly it all started with these very lucid, recurring dreams about a green car that was seen just off our property line, smashed in to a tree with severe front impact.   There were later dreams of barns and a house.  Unfortunately, this dark presence really made himself known when I later found all the above mentioned things for real.  I believe that all these things were related and tied in together.  My eathbound having been in a car accident, possibly being held captive at this house and later met her demise and I feel is quite possibly buried at one of those barns.  Were these out of body experiences?  If not, I find it an awful odd coincidence that they appeared as they did in my "dreams" and the times I found them, I had no intention of going in the direction I ended up.  It was like something was guiding me and I let it.

Right after I discovered my barns, I had a not so nice sleep paralysis encounter where this dark force involved decided I was getting a little too close for his comfort.  It happened in the afternoon and I awoke basically (to make a long, strange story short) to him on my wall.  Swirling black mass with a very red face and even redder eyes that seemed to glow from within.  With him, he had a grayish, blobby mass at the end of my bed.  The best I could describe him would be a child's crude-like drawing of a ghost/monster.

With my paranormal SP (sleep paralysis) encounters, even though I feel the usual tingly, paralysed sensation but I also got these feelings that I've learned to associate with my ghostly visitations; muddled brain, bodily heaviness, slowed reflexes, also a tingling sensation but usually more localized to one area, crackly energy and of course, that feeling that you're not alone.  Neeless to say, I've learned to trust my gut instince because too many times have I second guessed and been let down.  Something we all need to start doing.

Not being able to think too clearly, I was trying to figure out what I had posted on the wall there that was red.  Right about the time I figured out there was nothing, (took me a bit due to my poor muddled brain) I knew I was in trouble. 

He then launched himself off the wall at me.  Here's where it breaks the usual SP mode.  I wasn't fully paralysed and was able to lift my head in order to look at the wall.  When he launched himself at me, my head got slammed back to the bed.  In my fight, usually wiggling extremities will help break the SP.  I was able to lift my arms and once I did that, they then got slammed back down.  With immense strength and a few choice words, I was finally able to fight him off.  How many people do you know that suffer extreme body aches and pains due to a bout of SP? 

This is why the subject's so touchy for me.  This is just one of the many bouts of SP I've had, majority regular but definately quite a few with paranormal undercurrents.  I do believe in the scientific fact that the brain shuts the body down in order to keep us from acting out our dreams and upon waking, there's a misfire that forgets to turn our body back on.  Sleepwalker's also fall in to this category only the opposite happens and the misfire forgets to turn the body off.  If one seriously researches the SP phenomenon, you'll notice that the vast majority of sufferers are prone or on their back.  I've had them in all positions.  The majority experience that chest heaviness and a smothering effect.  This has been one of the minimal side effects for me.  Most experience that all over body tingle.  Mine's mostly in one area at a time.  They also last usually no more than a minute.  I've never been able to time mine but I can guarantee you, they last much longer than that.

Now tell me, does that fit the regular sleep paralysis bill?

A theory I've come up with is while we're having our SP attacks, we're somehow more susceptible to the paranormal.  Think about it... it's a very unsettling situation so we give off massive amounts of energy, right?  Think about how tired you feel after a good scare or a good cry or temper tantrum?  Once the adrenaline wears off, we're pretty drained, right?  There's their source of fuel, our energy!  Also, throw in the fact that we're paralysed and totally at their mercy, what perfect opportunity we present them with.

I somehow believe that those of us that are more sensitive to the goings on with the paranormal, we're giving them the open door that they need.

Sorry if I seem a little defensive but I've just heard far too many people try to lump me in to the scientific explanation.  To me it seems odd that my SP bouts were at their peak when my extreme activity around here was as well.  Also worth noting, I might have a bout once a month now.  They're all the nice, floaty, tingly sensation bouts.

SP doesn't scare me now when I feel these regular symptoms.  It's when I feel the more intense ones that I really start to get my guard up, as you can well imagine.   Which I haven't felt since I've been able to help my earthbound "friend" cross over, might I add.   

View Post

I can understand your defensiveness. If this had happened to me I wouldn't want to be lumped in with other cases of SP either.  This doesn't sound like classic SP as the rest of the stories in this thread do.
In fact, while some of your experiences may have been true SP (brought on by stress of the haunting? who knows) it seems that the most dramatic scene you just described wasn't characteristic of SP at all.
At least, I wouldn't call it that. :-/  I'm glad these episodes have all but stopped. I'd wet my pants if it happened to me. :-/

Wraith, since I reply via e-mail I read your full original post...I don't understand why you removed it, as it answered my question perfectly.

Posted Image
...O, woe is me

#20 Andrea

Andrea

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, genealogy

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:46 AM

When I was maybe around 13, I had this occur and it is the only time it has ever happened.  It freaked me out really bad.  I remember not being able to move at all.  I tried to scream out but no sound came out.  I remember seeing flashing almost like a darn strobe light but it was behind a person or things face.  I chalked the experience up to messing around with the paranormal with my best friend at the time.  Obviously that is not so.  I am glad it has not happened since that and I feel for those of you who still have to deal with it.