114 replies to this topic

#21 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:11 AM

Its very scary you can hear things ten times better and time seems like its faster but most encounters are just a few minutes
Be Good!

#22 Guest_ladyghosthunter_*

Guest_ladyghosthunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:07 PM

This can be a very scary experience for someone who doesn't know whats going on. I had sleep paralysis a few years ago. It was awful. I couldn't hear or scream. It felt like something was taking control of me! ohmy.gif

#23 Wraith

Wraith

GhostStudy Photo Analyst

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(Darklighter @ Oct 28 2004, 10:29 AM)
Wraith, since I reply via e-mail I read your full original post...I don't understand why you removed it, as it answered my question perfectly.
View Post
Sorry Darklighter,

I know that you were speaking in general when you addressed your questions, but I had not read all of Coliss's post (the example that you used) and didn't want to give the impression that my answers applied to it. Even though it may have explained some of it, and most of the posts on this thread, it didn't explain it all. And, like REDRUM mentioned, I didn't want to lump everyone into one scientific explanation.

Having read and re-read all the posts on this thread, and trying to relate them to my own experiences and others that I've read, I believe that we could be discussing at least three different states of mind -- body and plane included. While most experienced sleep paralysis, some had out-of-body experiences, and others experienced a state between the two. I don't remember what it's called, if in fact it has a name at all, but it's the most frightening of the three. Like REDRUM, Robert Monroe (author of Jouneys Out of the Body) had visited this realm, but learned to avoid it.

That being the case, I didn't feel that I should generalize, so I removed my earlier post. I am glad that you got to read it though... It took a while to write. cool.gif

EDIT: If you want to use it, then please feel free to do so. I was afraid of offending those of whom it didn't apply. tongue.gif

Edited by Wraith, 29 October 2004 - 01:51 AM.

#24 Darklighter

Darklighter

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:At the moment my main interests are photography, ghost hunting, sight seeing, reading, and scrapbooking.

After emerging from my bout with a debilitating illness (Latin name Isuckus Muchhardus) relatively unscathed I've resumed haunting the boards.

Now mobile and armed with a camera and a taperecorder (among other tools) I'm up for investigating any ghostly happenings and haunted sights in the UK and Ireland.

Contact me at Darklighter_Solo@hotmail.com if you want to go on a ghost hunting jaunt.

Posted 29 October 2004 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE(Wraith @ Oct 29 2004, 08:16 AM)
Sorry Darklighter,

I know that you were speaking in general when you addressed your questions, but I had not read all of Coliss's post (the example that you used) and didn't want to give the impression that my answers applied to it. Even though it may have explained some of it, and most of the posts on this thread, it didn't explain it all. And, like REDRUM mentioned, I didn't want to lump everyone into one scientific explanation.

Having read and re-read all the posts on this thread, and trying to relate them to my own experiences and others that I've read, I believe that we could be discussing at least three different states of mind -- body and plane included. While most experienced sleep paralysis, some had out-of-body experiences, and others experienced a state between the two. I don't remember what it's called, if in fact it has a name at all, but it's the most frightening of the three. Like REDRUM, Robert Monroe (author of Jouneys Out of the Body) had visited this realm, but learned to avoid it.

That being the case, I didn't feel that I should generalize, so I removed my earlier post. I am glad that you got to read it though... It took a while to write. cool.gif

EDIT: If you want to use it, then please feel free to do so. I was afraid of offending those of whom it didn't apply. tongue.gif
View Post

It strikes me as interesting. I'd say your explanation of applies to true SP, while the other two categories are completely different.
I had a few OBEs but every time I realised I wasn't in my body I freaked out and snapped right back down.
I have lucid dreams though, and some people claim that's a way of astrally projecting while asleep...
I'm working on projecting while awake however. I can start to get out of my body, feel myself start to leave, but I always get scared and snap back. It's unnerving at first.
But I get better and better each time I try.

Posted Image
"And I, of ladies most dejected and wretched,
...O, woe is me
T'have seen what I have seen, see what I see."

#25 Wraith

Wraith

GhostStudy Photo Analyst

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(Darklighter @ Oct 29 2004, 06:49 AM)
It strikes me as interesting. I'd say your explanation of applies to true SP, while the other two categories are completely different.
View Post
Thanks, but I believe physical paralysis is a prerequisite for all three stages. Coliss's experience, like some others, was more than a classic SP. (I don't mean to pick on Coliss, but only to use her post as an example. smile.gif )

She stated that there was a "tingling". While the physical body is paralyzed, most physical sensations are cut off. However, a tingling sensation is common when full or partial separation from the physical body occurs.

When Coliss stated that she "didn't dare move or look", she implies that movement at that time may have been possible if so desired. Furthermore, the ability to "not look" is not an option during SP. While it is possible to concentrate on a specific area within one's periphial vision, during SP, physical head, eye, and eyelid movement are not.

When the situation presented itself again, Coliss stated that she "was able to stop the dream". While everything in the real world is still real at this stage, she knows that it may be infested with hallucinations, archetypes, and dream-like creatures. Note that she did not "see" the large dark evil figure, but "envisioned" it. During SP, most everything appears as it would during normal waking hours, except for the inability to move.

While it is possible that Coliss's physical eyes were open, it doesn't mean that she was using them or using them for the entire time. They could have just as well been closed. Without an eye-witness, it is difficult to determine if eyelids are actually open or closed.

Judging from her post, I would venture to guess that Coliss may have had a life-altering experience (e.g., accident, injury, poison, sickness, surgery, trauma, etc.).

Edited by Wraith, 29 October 2004 - 08:38 AM.

#26 KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Many things including, music, writing, video gaming, movies, anime, computers, paranormal, and many more. Feel free to ask me questions if you have any.

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE(Wraith @ Nov 1 2004, 01:36 AM)
Unfortunately, not everything works in sequential order.
View Post

I've only had a few incidents of SP while in the process of going to sleep. As far as the darkness that i see quite often, it would be difficult for me to say that i'm in a hypnogogic state of mind because i often interact with it. And by interact i mean, i put my hand over my face, stare at particular light sources in my room, last night i even went as far as turning on a lamp in the room next to me. Some of my room lit up. But as i looked over to the darkest part of my room i still saw the darkness. It's really difficult to explain. I guess it's just darker than it should be, and only occurs for a period of time. It's doesn't happen everynight, but recently i've noticed it happening more and more.

FYI : about the interaction with darkness. usally when i don't see the darkness and i place my hand over my face i can see it. Even though it's only shadow like i can still see it. When i do it during darkness, i can't see it. Light sources which are usally piercing in the dark, tend to lose the glow they usally achieve in a regular dark room. The darkness seems to swallow up the  glowing affect of the light source. Be it, the cable box, or alarm clock. Lamps from other rooms corner it, since the lamp can only enter through a door and only light up visible areas many areas in the room remain dark. And when i look toward those areas the darkness is there. Any great source of light directly in the room, make it disappear completely.

As far as my SP is concerned. I've guess i have mostly had them while sleeping in on my back, but i constantly move in my sleep. Now the only doubts I have concerning SP are the experience i've had where it felt as if i was being held down with my comforter. As if something was pulling it down around my bed not allowing me to move. I've even had the experience or sensation of my comforter being used to smother me. I don't know if this is a common occurance, but it's happenend to me a few times.
user posted image

#27 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(answer_seeker @ Oct 31 2004, 06:20 PM)
I have something strange happen to me once in a while. It terrifies me and infact it happened yesterday. I don't know if stress brings it on but I had got myself all worked up and scared over the pics on this site. blink.gif

When I am asleep I feel like I am so full of energy and feel I could move things from the power of it. It is hard to explain. I feel like this energy is so very strong and I can make it stronger by pushing the energy out. When I wake up my muscles are sore. It does not happen on a regular basis.  It must be just a dream but very strange.
View Post

Sounds like it could be restless leg syndrome. I know that my dad suffers from it. Basically, you sleep, but your legs keep moving. The whole scary pic feeling eventually goes away. I know that when I first started to visit this site, I lost a few nights sleep. Still happens once in awhile, when someone posts something uber scary, like the Amittyville pic, but very rarely.
Have you seen a doctor about what has happened to you?

#28 Wraith

Wraith

GhostStudy Photo Analyst

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE( by KorbenDallas: )
Well i thought about that, but the only problem with that is that it only happens to me when i'm in my room any laying in bed. And as far as the SP, well this is going to sound strange, but they were always accompanied by dreams, the same dream. Where there was an individual sitting behind my bed, trying to convince me that he was a good person, that everything that was taught to me about him were lies. I won't go into great details, cause there were too many dreams, but the last dream i had, included a woman kissing me on the lips she uttered, "we'll come back when your ready." Since then i haven't had the dream, or experienced any SP. The last dream occured few days prior to me confronting whatever it was that i felt could be causing anything. To behonest with you, i haven't taken an eye examine in awhile, cause i've never had a problem. But i will take one to try and rule out other possiblities. Does night blindness only occur at night?
View Post

Yes, or during low levels of light. The cones in your eyes are used during the day, and the rods are used at night. About 30 to 45 minutes after you go to bed, the cones shut down and the rods take over. The rods become 10,000 times more sensitive than they do during the day. If the rods in your eyes are not functioning properly, you will see a large dark spot in the center. I'm not saying that you have night-blindness, but I am saying that you should have a complete eye exam. You may want to see your family doctor, also. Do you drive at night?

Edited by Wraith, 02 November 2004 - 09:18 AM.

#29 KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Many things including, music, writing, video gaming, movies, anime, computers, paranormal, and many more. Feel free to ask me questions if you have any.

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:28 PM

Yeah i drive at night, with no problems at all. I will go get a check up anyways. The funny thing about it, is the fact that it only seems to occur in my room. Last night i actually got out of bed while the darkness appeared, walked into the next room and could see. Then i looked into my room, and noticed it was considerably darker.
I wonder if i'd be able to catch it on video? Would i require any special video cam, or would any type/brand work?
user posted image

#30 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:09 PM

As far as my SP is concerned. I've guess i have mostly had them while sleeping in on my back

Strange you mention this, Korben...about 6 years ago when I was in college, I had sleep paralysis every day for about two weeks straight.  I always followed the same routine: after I got back from my 3-hour class, I would lay down on my bed for a nap.  I always laid down on my back and tried to relax and drop off to sleep.  Well, when I felt like I was "partially" asleep, I would slowly develop this buzzing/humming in my ears--it sounded like voices trying to communicate over a very scratchy radio frequency--my body would start to feel cold and tingle all over, and I would have this feeling of panic and wake up.  When I woke up, I couldn't move, and I could only stare into the room through barely-opened eyes.  This usually lasted a few minutes until I forced my limbs to move again and woke up fully.  If I tried to go back to sleep after that, the same thing would happen.  

These were not like my usual sleep paralysis experiences, which begin with a dream involving a mysterious man approaching and touching me before I wake up paralyzed (usually after sleeping for a while, and while I was laying on my side).  So I think somehow it was sleeping on my back and the odd schedule I was keeping that caused the 2-week string of those...but don't ask me to explain how.

Kate

#31 Wraith

Wraith

GhostStudy Photo Analyst

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(KorbenDallas @ Nov 2 2004, 03:28 PM)
Yeah i drive at night, with no problems at all. I will go get a check up anyways. The funny thing about it, is the fact that it only seems to occur in my room. Last night i actually got out of bed while the darkness appeared, walked into the next room and could see. Then i looked into my room, and noticed it was considerably darker.
I wonder if i'd be able to catch it on video? Would i require any special video cam, or would any type/brand work?
View Post

That's a good idea! If you can catch it on video, then you'd know for sure it wasn't you. A video camera with a night mode function may capture it, but I would select manual record instead of automatic. In automatic, the camcorder will try to compensate for any light reduction. Better still, ask a friend over to observe this phenomenon with you.

#32 Wraith

Wraith

GhostStudy Photo Analyst

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(Kate518 @ Nov 2 2004, 04:09 PM)
...about 6 years ago when I was in college, I had sleep paralysis every day for about two weeks straight.
View Post

Wow Kate, it's weird that you should mention this. I didn't start college until I was 26. I worked full-time and went to college part-time. For the entire time that I was attending college, I was plagued with random episodes of SP, but not as often as you. It was probably from all the stress.

#33 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 03:38 PM

For the entire time that I was attending college, I was plagued with random episodes of SP, but not as often as you. It was probably from all the stress.

Quite possible, Wraith.  I wish I understood the underlying physiology and brain chemistry associated with SP, because stress (good and bad) affects levels of brain chemicals to some degree.  I wonder if this contributes to increased incidence of sleep paralysis.

Now with me, I didn't find this class particularly stressful--it was a course on Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, which I find very cool!--but maybe because I had to wake up so early in the a.m. and the class lasted for 3 hours straight every day for a month, perhaps the schedule didn't agree with my body and the this somehow caused me to have this 2-week SP "outbreak."  My SP experiences overall started long before college, though.

Kate

#34 Wraith

Wraith

GhostStudy Photo Analyst

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE(Kate518 @ Nov 3 2004, 06:38 PM)
Quite possible, Wraith.  I wish I understood the underlying physiology and brain chemistry associated with SP, because stress (good and bad) affects levels of brain chemicals to some degree.  I wonder if this contributes to increased incidence of sleep paralysis.

Now with me, I didn't find this class particularly stressful--it was a course on Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, which I find very cool!--but maybe because I had to wake up so early in the a.m. and the class lasted for 3 hours straight every day for a month, perhaps the schedule didn't agree with my body and the this somehow caused me to have this 2-week SP "outbreak."  My SP experiences overall started long before college, though.
Kate
View Post

My classes weren't that stressful either. In my case, I think it was a combination of things. I had just started working shift work and spent a lot of time researching OBE cases. Even though I still shift work and research the paranormal, I've only had a few episodes of SP since I stopped going to college.

Back then, I had them so often, I could do it on purpose. While I was dreaming, I would become aware that was dreaming (possibly through my own analytical nature while attending college) and force my eyelids to open. Nine times out of ten, I would wake up paralyzed.

While trying to find the causes of SP, I found a really cool article:

http://www.robertpeterson.org/asp.htm

#35 Guest_MBElijah_*

Guest_MBElijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:33 AM

look up in your webster Dictionary the words "Incubus" or  "Succubus".
I believe this may be more in line with what you are encountering.

#36 Twnmsk

Twnmsk

EVP

• GS Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:47 AM

I actually had a friend that has had the problem more than once but it wasn't until the last time it happened she found that it actually was a ghost.  When she first told me I thought she was loosing her mind, but the last time it happend she got irritated and brave enough that she did open her eyes, and when she did she couldn't scream.... she looked to the roof of her room and it was nothing but black, pitch black. Course your saying to your self well duh its dark at night the room will be dark....But this was her clue she wasn't alone, you know those glow in the dark stars and moons that you put in your room.  She couldn't see any of those, nor could she see the bathroom light she keeps on. The bathroom light would have casted out the dark shadow, but it didn't.  She laid like that frozen and started saying the lords prayer in her mind and slowly it faded and she was able to move again...I got a phone call at 3am in the morning from her cause she was so scared.
twnmsk

#37 KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:56 AM

I'm curious if anyone has ever caught SP on tape. I've also encountered that same darkness in my room countless times. Even with no SP episodes. I think i would be very intresting if we could catch it on tape. I haven't had any episodes of SP since I confronted whatever it could be causing it. I just went into my room and basically said in a nutshell, "that i wasn't affraid, it was annoying me, and if it needs help to let me know and i will try and help it anyway possible." And i've had no SP attacks since then. Now i only encounter what i call "the Darkness." I'm not really sure what it is, but it comes and goes at night, and only in my room. I will be gettin my eyes tested for night blindess, but i truly disbelieve that NB is the case since the darkness only occurs in my room. I've been hesistant to mention the following occurance cause i thought i was a fluke or my eyes playing tricks on me, but recent and frequent occurances had led me to believe otherwise. During recent darkness occurances i've lay back in my bed and and really tried to focus on them. The darkness is so present and visible it's almost like a tangible object. But i begin to focus on them, and can almost see what appear to be really really transparent objects in them. Now here is the scary part, the transparent object mostly seem to be facial features. It's bizzare because it seems to be more than one, and i can see depths between the objects. Some appear as eyes others appear as full faces. There movement are quite akwards as well, like if they are stuck in some infinate loop. They float towards me (or maybe just down) and like a glitch get arms length from me and go back to where they originally appeared. I'm not quite sure what to make of them. I will definitley do more research on this, i will even attempt to record this in hopes of catching something on film. I have a camera, but it has no night vision, so i'm in the process of buying a new one. Plus i will get tested for nightblindness in the near future as well, and will be posting the results to that as well.  Korben
user posted image

#38 Twnmsk

Twnmsk

EVP

• GS Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 01:38 PM

Well with my friend and the dark shadow that shows up there has been alot of times that she was awake (couldn't sleep) and she saw it move accross her room to position above her.  Most of the time she gets woken up by it.  It does several things to get her attention, but never has caused harm to her. It just lingers there and then fades.  There has been other insidents that she's called me in the middle of the night to tell me but she is not sure if its the same one or not that its woken her up in more of a way that you would never wake up as.   wink.gif  More of a personal way.  I told her it had to be a male. One time she did wake up and saw it just above her she screamed and it disappeared.  She has counted at least 4 she knows of (ghost in her house)  but only this one bothers her while she is in bed, awake or asleep.  She has only experienced the SP 4 times though. The other 3 could have been what ya'll are talking about but she is not sure because she never opened her eyes she was to scared it wasn't until the 4th time that she got the guts to do it and it was more out of irritation.  But you do bring a good idea, I have a web cam, I wander if I let her borrow it and she puts it in her room what would happen. (it had motion detect on it).  Hmm something I could look into.
twnmsk
QUOTE(KorbenDallas @ Nov 6 2004, 12:56 PM)
I'm curious if anyone has ever caught SP on tape. I've also encountered that same darkness in my room countless times. Even with no SP episodes. I think i would be very intresting if we could catch it on tape. I haven't had any episodes of SP since I confronted whatever it could be causing it. I just went into my room and basically said in a nutshell, "that i wasn't affraid, it was annoying me, and if it needs help to let me know and i will try and help it anyway possible." And i've had no SP attacks since then. Now i only encounter what i call "the Darkness." I'm not really sure what it is, but it comes and goes at night, and only in my room. I will be gettin my eyes tested for night blindess, but i truly disbelieve that NB is the case since the darkness only occurs in my room. I've been hesistant to mention the following occurance cause i thought i was a fluke or my eyes playing tricks on me, but recent and frequent occurances had led me to believe otherwise. During recent darkness occurances i've lay back in my bed and and really tried to focus on them. The darkness is so present and visible it's almost like a tangible object. But i begin to focus on them, and can almost see what appear to be really really transparent objects in them. Now here is the scary part, the transparent object mostly seem to be facial features. It's bizzare because it seems to be more than one, and i can see depths between the objects. Some appear as eyes others appear as full faces. There movement are quite akwards as well, like if they are stuck in some infinate loop. They float towards me (or maybe just down) and like a glitch get arms length from me and go back to where they originally appeared. I'm not quite sure what to make of them. I will definitley do more research on this, i will even attempt to record this in hopes of catching something on film. I have a camera, but it has no night vision, so i'm in the process of buying a new one. Plus i will get tested for nightblindness in the near future as well, and will be posting the results to that as well.  Korben
View Post

#39 fuzzyghost

fuzzyghost

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:38 PM

i don't know what it's called, what my dream was about but it was weird. i had a dream one night about a week or two ago that stuck with me. i told my daughter about it as soon as i woke up. in my dream i was a little girl about 6 years old or so. i was being chased through the dream by a tiger. i didn't know for along time what i was being chased by until the end of me dream, then i woke up. the tiger didn't catch me. but, a few days later i was watching an old twilight zone movie where a man was being stalked by a lion, kinda made me wonder. also that same evening i was watching an episode of law and order suv where a 14 year old girl had been molested by her father for many,many years and i know a child who is having problems right now that may have to do with molestation. really makes me wonder what meaning is here for me.
                                                           fuzzyghost
user posted image

#40 Jediman

Jediman

EVP

• GS Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:24 PM

Just a really quick question...anybody here that has experienced Sleep Paralysis have asthma by chance?
M-Town Ghost Hunters is now US Ghost Hunters

Seeking the truth across the United States