20 replies to this topic

#1 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:41 AM

What do you think dreams are and why do we have them.

Heres a cool link

Edited by ceaser, 29 October 2004 - 10:41 AM.

Be Good!

#2 lavena

lavena

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:54 AM

This is a great idea for a thread. I'm endlessly fascinated by dreams and dream analyses.

I've heard that the best conclusion that scientists have come up with as to why we dream is that it's a way for our brain to expunge unneccesary information. And when I think about it, sometimes when I dream it will be about some completely mundane, ordinary thing that I saw or heard during that certain day that I had completely forgotten about until the dream. So maybe it is a bit true that dreams are nothing more than the 'waste products' of the brain, but I'd like to think they have to be a bit more than that.

That theory doesn't explain away premonitions in dreams (which I've had). And usually my dreams are completely logical and follow a certain, specific order of events, basically, they unfold like stories in my mind, so I have to think that it's a bit more than my brain just trying to clear itself out.

Anyway, I could probably talk about this all day, but I'll refrain for now. I'm checking out the link you posted, it looks very interesting.

#3 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:45 AM

I love story's about reaccourng dreams that come true
Be Good!

#4 lavena

lavena

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:50 AM

In my case, I wouldn't want most of my reoccuring dreams to come true. The most prevalent reoccuring dream I have is the plane crash dream. They always vary from each other slightly, but they're pretty much always the same.

I'm never on the plane, I'm always only observing it. I can see that something is wrong, but I can't do anything to prevent the crash. They're almost always large passanger jets, and they usually crash somewhere near my house (I live near an airport and have an intense fear of flying which may contribute to these dreams) and they're always very graphic. Usually after the crash I'm forced to observe the dead bodies lying around.

At times the details of these dreams are very specific, and unfortunately, I've dreamed of a couple of real plane crashes about a day before they happen...

There was a period of a few years where I had these dreams nearly every night, but they've faded quite a bit. I still have them, just not nearly as frequently, which I'm thankful for, because they are never pleasant.

#5 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:52 AM

I had a dream come true i kept having the same dream over and over again till it came true it was one of the wierdest things that happen to me
Be Good!

#6 GhostlyGrace

GhostlyGrace

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Freaking people out with my thoughts & dreams

Posted 29 October 2004 - 12:03 PM

I love dreams.  I always have the wierdest most bizarre dreams.  Unfortunately, lately, I can't remember them when I wake up.  Wish I could.

Sometimes, my dreams are about things that really bother me and in some way, the dreams help me understand what it is that bothers me.   Other times, my frustrations about people show up in my dreams (I'm usually yelling at them or they are continuously annoying me by poking me with a finger or talking when they should shut up).  

Other dreams I've had would make excellent short stories (I was a treasurer on Mars once.. laugh.gif ).   I just enjoy my dreams

Posted Image

#7 Guest_corvette1972_*

Guest_corvette1972_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2004 - 02:46 PM

I am too afraid to have my dreams analyized

#8 faeriedust

faeriedust

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 07:16 PM

I kept having the same dream for years.  Not sure why i had the dream.  They all of a sudden stopped a year or so ago.  Anywho, the dream was of me suddenly running out a house screaming help me help me.  and i see myself getting stabbed over and over again.  and im still screaming help me help me.  noone would help but just stare at me.  and whoever the person is stabbing me, just keeps doing it.  i wake up in a soaking sweat and crying.  

Not sure what it means or if it has a meaning.  I used to have it over and over again.  Now im starting to dream of me meeting a really cute guy, talking to him, and then all of a sudden we're in a dark room.  He starts to talk to me, but i cant hear him and then he just vanishes.   And i wake up, scared and nervous.  Thats my weird one ive been having.  

I know i sound like im crazy.  But im promise im not.  Well, im as sane as one can be with 3 small kids and a huge imagination when it comes to playing games and house with baby dolls, lol.
-Don't try to be someone else, you have your own abilities to use--ME
-Always imitated, never duplicated
-They're all dead. They just don't know it yet.--The Crow
-As my mother used to say: Never chase buses or married men, You'll never catch either.

#9 Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Military history, Reading, Anime, Table Top gaming, Iron Maiden, Hunting, Paintball, etc.

Posted 30 October 2004 - 07:36 PM

If I remember correctly. All they are, are memories and thoughts that are triggered when you are sleeping, while you brian stores you memories that you may need in the future and disguardes the usless stuff you pick up during the day. reoccuring dreams occure when you brain keep activating the same memory over different nights. So really all they are is stuff you pick up over time being put together in a dream, while you mind files stuff away(that is why some dreams are so weird), as is one of the reason you forget them so quickly as your mind know that they are really no use to instead of using up you memory it just lets the go(unless you try to remember them, or they stuck in your head for some reason, like being really scary or sad)

Also about dreams that come true, really I would think that is just your mind putting together data that it picks up over the days, and making a logical guess at what the outcome of something will be. So really they are little more the coincidence based on a educated guess.

Edited by Dire Wolf, 30 October 2004 - 07:37 PM.

-------------------------------------------------------
"The warrior who acts out of honour cannot fail. His duty is honour itself. Even his death – if it is honourable – is a great reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#10 Guest_warriorprincess_*

Guest_warriorprincess_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2004 - 04:02 AM

Fascinating topic...(you always find very cool links,ceaser;))
I have wondered for quite some time why I often dream of space and spaceships.I have never really believed in abductions and the explaination I usually find to this kind of dream is that I have been abducted laugh.gif ,and Iīm pretty sure I havenīt;)
Itīs always those very magnificent landscapes,unearthly,with unusual,almost surreal night skies covered with huge planets in orbit closely around the planet where I am.
I think itīs my fascination for sci-fi art,some kind of wishful thinking...I canīt find any other logic explaination to it.

#11 minstance

minstance

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:29 AM

Looks like a great site. I'm gonna poke around on it when I get a chance.
I've been into dream analysis a while ago, and it's always been a fascinating subject for me.

for a quick dream analysis, punch your dreams into this site, with as much detail as you can remember...

http://www.freakydreams.com/flash.htm

#12 Riina

Riina

Apport

• GS Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 05:24 PM

i had the weirdest dreams last night. something annoying that happened tho was i woke up at 2 am, fell back asleep quickly, had another dream, woke up at 3, fell asleep quickly again, had a weird dream, woke up at 4, and then i fell asleep until my alarm went off happy.gif;

the only dream i can remember is the one before 4 am. some stuff happened that i can't remember, and then i was wandering around this town and also some high school in that town. what's weird/cool about it tho is that i've never been to that town before in real life, but i remember wandering around that high school and going to other places in a dream i had a while ago. i have alot of dreams about visiting some place again that i've only seen in my dreams..

a few weeks ago i dreamed i was wandering around some neighborhood, and then i went w/ my grandparents to some relative's house. i've never been to that house (or neighborhood!) in real life, but i even had memories of going there when i was a little kid! of course i forgot them when i woke up...

okay, last thing wink.gif when i was a little kid (maybe 5 or 6), i had this dream that i went to my uncle's house. it was kind of different, especially the life-size dolls in some room happy.gif; eventually they all came alive and i think they might've bothered me. i can barely remember what happened. i had that dream 3 times and then it stopped. i thought, back then, the reason it stopped was because i told my grandpa about it.  does anyone know if my dreams actually meant anything?
<3   C a s e y

#13 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:11 PM

I think some dreams mean something I feel dazed when I realize that  when something comes true or is the same in a dream it just shocks me or when you keep haveing the same dream
Be Good!

#14 Yuri Hyuga

Yuri Hyuga

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Watch Anime,play games ,read manga. Watch kamen rider shows. Write. Super robot wars and study about yokai

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:09 AM

I have i dream really strange one dreamt about i 6 years and is like a other life i have when i get hurt in the dream i can find marks exactly there and thanks too the dream i become a new person and got a gift i can stop some of my dreams and fix things not the dream i have for 6 years. must strange thing is there is five gods in the dream that i meet and talk too many times in the dream.
I Know what drives my body. It's not duty or mission. It's the desire to protect people. Yeah, I fight becuse i love people! Kamen Rider Blade.

When you're lost.You're sure to be guided by the strength of your feelings- The future you wish for is already in your hands. Kamen Rider Den-o

#15 Caesar

Caesar

Board Punk

• GS Member
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 08:09 PM

I found this link that is like a Dream Dictionary
http://www.paranormality.com/dream_dictionary_a.shtml
Be Good!

#16 annesegan

annesegan

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Dreams, Tarot, The Paranormal, Witchcraft, Occultism, Buddhism

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:02 AM

Humans have dreams about what happened to them during the course of a day, what they think could happen, what they hope or fear might happen...
Humans have dreams about stuff they see on tv, hear on the radio, read in books,
Humans have telepathic dreams, prophetic dreams, psychic dreams...
Why? Maybe imo, because we hard wired somewhere in the back of our brains for it...it is part of being a human animal...
Other animals species do dream too...but to what extent? Is it limited to chasing something or being chased by something in their sleep...
There was a study done with rats - they were deprived of sleep and after 17 days they all died...similiar tests were done on humans in the sixties- kept awake up to four days I think it was - it showed if humans were not allowed to sleep, to dream they would begin to dream while awake...living out, acting out their dreams with those around them...no one died or went completely insane but the experiments were stopped shortly after that...
We need to sleep, to dream but noone really knows why...
DUTY (Dharma)    DISCIPLINE (Yoga)    ACTION (Karma)    KNOWLEDGE (JŅÃNA)   DEVOTION  (Bhakti)
Marga- the path- which leads you to yourself  – the second half of life...
Beware lest in casting out your demons you cast out the best in you...Neitche
The virgin birth has nothing to do with biology - The promise land has nothing to do with real estate...
The ego that sees a Thou is not the same Ego that sees an It...Joe campbell
The messenger is non importanteَ
I AM STILL LEARNING.........Michaelangelo

#17 Shadow Gh0st

Shadow Gh0st

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

ghosts,sports,web design

thats the short version

Posted 13 November 2004 - 10:22 AM

great link ceaser. i could sometimes in my dreams, hear, feel, and smell. 1 time only, i had a dream come true. u no whats really freaky? a friend of mine's cousin had a dream about the 9/11 tradegy and he was crying when he saw it happen. my friend told me this.

#18 Mr. Popadopalis25

Mr. Popadopalis25

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location:jamie oliver lifted the floor tile under which he lay and smiled for it would be oliver's next twist
  • Interests:Showing up to work on time.

Posted 13 November 2004 - 11:03 AM

OK, no dream interpritator online can do this but maybe you guys can...

I am walking down the street, and see a fast, red sports car race by.  I see a old woman go "Thanks buddy!  I'm callin' 911 now!" or something, and she takes a picture of the lisence plate.  She starts to car, when the guy from the car emerges, and looks at her.  He proceeds to pull out a gun.  Bang Bang!  People around me scream in terror, and run.  I too run towards my house at the end of the street.  I see him kill another woman and a baby.  I continue to run, hearing screams, and bullet shots.  One passes near me, almost hitting me.  I run inside my house, and go into the basement.  I remempered my family was outside, and get very sad because I think that they are dead.  I am currently in the computer room, when I take out a knife (I know wierd), and see the guy come downstairs.  I hide behind the couch, ready to strike.  He is on the other side of the room, and he has a gun.  He could shoot me before he stabs me.  He had fired many bullets before, so I figured he had low ammo.  I emerged and he shot.  I ducked and he missed.  He tried shooting again.  No ammo.  He threw the gun at me, which also I dodged.  I ran at him and stabbed him in the heart (I could feel the stabbing because I once stabbed a pumpkin to signify it was mine because me and my friend had the same face) I kept stabbing him but he wouldn't die.  He even laughed.  I laughed too.  I finally stabbed him one more time, and he fell to the ground.  I went outside to see my family standing there, and down the street many dead bodies, and a red sports car, door open, still running.  I then woke up.

Sorry if that was disturbing.

#19 borntolive

borntolive

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal and spiritual.
    Drawing and painting.
    Animals and birds.
    Helping people

Posted 13 November 2004 - 12:12 PM

Well let me tell you that I can explane dreams!!!!
And I was thinking about  making a topic to explane dreams to people who want to understand them better.
Anybody interested if I would do so????

Dreams happen to us.
We do not dream.
We are dreamt ~ Carl Jung.

Love lookes not with the eyes, but with the heart ~ W. Shakespear

http://www.myspace.com/borntolive1971

#20 Mr. Popadopalis25

Mr. Popadopalis25

Daemon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location:jamie oliver lifted the floor tile under which he lay and smiled for it would be oliver's next twist
  • Interests:Showing up to work on time.

Posted 13 November 2004 - 12:43 PM

Do it!  And please explain mine!