• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:19 AM

Where were these children when I was going to school. ;). To read more of this story, please click on the "Source" link.

STONY POINT, N.Y. — A school district in New York is reviewing its homework policy in part prompted by a petition from two fifth-grade students to get rid of the often dreaded task.

Last fall, Christophe DeLeon, a fifth-grader at Farley Elementary School in Stony Point, and his best friend, Nikolas Keeley, began a petition asking that the school do away with homework. Stony Point is about 36 miles north of New York City.

“I get stressed out a lot when I do it,” said Christopher. “I would literally cry. Math worksheets are usually what break me down.”

For Nikolas, it wasn’t so much about the work as it was about actually finding the time to do it after classes let out each day.

After school-activities, like his acting classes, affect whether he can complete assignments and he said he’s often late to those obligations since he’s trying to get homework done.

“I understand the work, but there’s just too little time,” he said of the 30 minutes worth of assignments he received each day.

For the older kids, it’s much worse, Christopher said.

His older sister, who attends North Rockland High School, spends upwards of two hours each night completing assignments, he said.

Now, officials at North Rockland Central School District are exploring whether to limit — or even eliminate — traditional homework assignments and expect to have new guidelines in place by the 2019-20 school year
A recommendation is expected to be issued to the school board by the end of the 2018-19 school year.

“When we started the ‘no homework’ thing, I never thought we’d get this far,” Christopher said during an interview May 23. “We have been sitting in on meetings, talking about how things are and now we’re being interviewed by the newspaper. I’ve probably learned more doing this than doing homework.”

Source

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 05 June 2018 - 01:20 AM.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:14 AM

Yes, I noticed a lot of schools are doing away with homework but now the kids seem to have assignments to do.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:49 AM

Those poor kids....  If they get their way, the rest of their adult life will be difficult.
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#4 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

Ugh, homework.... It's really not an issue if you have time to do it, but some kids have after school activities, some kids parents don't get home till really late, so they have no help when they need it, some kids have responsibilities at home, like if their parents are drug addicts, or sick, these kids have to feed themselves, or their siblings, and some of the older kids have to go straight to their job after school, because if they miss any work, they might not have enough on their paycheck to help pay the rent, or groceries, or help pay for medicine because mom and/or dad are to sick, disabled, or mentally incapable to work (or to strung out on what ever), and no one has insurance.

Or you have a kid like me, I am pretty smart, but I could never do my homework. I would get home at 3pm, and start my homework, and work straight through till 11pm, and I still never got it done. It got to the point where I was like "I'm not doing this anymore" and I stopped doing my homework, yes I got in trouble a lot for it, and I barely passed my classes. But it had to be that way, I rather people thought I was lazy, than thinking I was dumb.
Posted Image

#5 siguie

siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

Srsly what is wrong with those kids? Get the geeks to do the math and science and the dweebs to do the English and history then everyone copies and pretends they did it all themselves OR just man up and take the zero :yes:

I don't think I ever did my own history homework EVER :no: and there were lots of zeros my senior year :whistling:
- siguie -

#6 daphnerose

daphnerose

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

They pretty much have done away with homework here too.  They don't even have to do book reports or anything like that anymore.  They used to have to do a senior project that they had a semester to complete but they don't even have to do that anymore.  I just don't understand not teaching kids they have to earn the grades, not just receive them for being present.  Ok time for me to zip lips! er fingers!! lol

#7 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:59 PM

I don't think homework is a bad thing. Welcome to life. However, excessive homework can be cruel.

#8 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:11 AM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 14 June 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

I don't think homework is a bad thing. Welcome to life. However, excessive homework can be cruel.

Very well said I can not remember doing homework at primary or high school, but, that was a long time ago :yes:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#9 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

Oh I know I had homework as a kid but it wasn't excessive. The point of school is to teach you about life. It's not all fun and games. Heck, even when I go home from work that doesn't mean work goes away completely. That's life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users