#161 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE(HelenaHandBaskettGStudy @ Nov 20 2006, 11:36 PM) View Post

Found this interesting article today, and I thought that you all might enjoy it. Let me know what you all think:)

I'm a bit confused--I didn't think there were witnesses who could give a physical description of the killer.   blink.gif  I thought that was a big chunk of the mystery, that nobody knew what he looked like and therefore police would have been hard pressed to search for anyone based on appearance.

IPB Image

And I definitely never pictured Jack the Ripper as a middle-aged Mexican dude.   laugh.gif

#162 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:33 PM

Yet another new theory is circulating about JTR's possible identity.  Read on...

------------------------------------

Historian claims to ID Jack the Ripper
By CELEAN JACOBSON, Associated Press Writer
Wed May 2, 8:12 AM ET

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa - An eminent South African historian believes he has stumbled on the identity of Jack the Ripper.

Charles van Onselen said at first he wasn't sure he wanted to publicize the conclusions he drew when he noticed parallels in the century-old, unsolved Ripper case and the background of Joseph Silver, who terrorized women as "King of the Pimps" in Johannesburg.

"I was left with a choice: I have got intelligent speculation, which I think is pretty long way down the track to proving that this guy was the Ripper. Do I include or exclude it?

"If I include it, it buggers up the book and people get excited for the wrong reasons. If I exclude it and a really sharp professional spots it ... I had to explore this possibility," he said, sitting in his tree-filled garden, about 3 miles from where Silver reigned, in a city still regarded as one of the most crime-ridden in the world.

The publicity around van Onselen's "The Fox and The Flies: The World of Joseph Silver, Racketeer and Psychopath", published in April, has made much of Silver being Jack the Ripper, the notorious Victorian serial killer who murdered at least five East London prostitutes in 1888.

But van Onselen, an acclaimed biographer who specializes in South Africa's criminal history and who took nearly three decades to research the book, only makes his Ripper case in the final 25th chapter, written in the last 36 months.

While the book has been well-received, reaction from "Ripperologists" has been skeptical as van Onselen makes his case on circumstantial evidence.

To his doubters the author said: "How many coincidences do you want to mount up in your mind simultaneously until you start saying this is a real possibility?"

Scores of people have been accused of the Ripper murders, but no one has ever been proven guilty and London police put the number of most likely suspects at just four, among them a poor Whitechapel resident named Kosminski who, like Silver, was a Polish Jew. At the time, Londoners speculated the killer was Jewish, leading to fears of an anti-Jewish backlash.

Van Onselen believes Silver fits the psychological profile of the Whitechapel murderer and he places his subject at the center of the scene of the Ripper murders. The evidence that Silver was in Whitechapel at the time of the Ripper murders includes the birth of his daughter there, van Onselen said.

As pimp and brothel keeper, Silver would have been familiar with the prostitutes working in the area, van Onselen said.

Silver, who was born in Poland, arrived in Johannesburg in 1898 fresh from a stint in Sing Sing for burglary and a stay in London a decade earlier. Shortly after arriving in Johannesburg, Silver set up a string of cafes, cigar shops and police-protected brothels.

Silver was litigious, wrote bold letters to newspapers and had an array of mocking aliases, van Onselen said. Jack the Ripper is believed to have taunted police with brazen letters to the papers.

Van Onselen, the son of a detective, tracked Silver across Africa, the Americas and Europe, "staggered by how mobile this guy was." In the end, Silver was executed as a spy in Poland in 1918.

Van Onselen points to similarities between the subject of his book and the Whitechapel murderer, both psychopaths with a deep hatred of women. Silver had bitter, violent relationships with women all his life.

"In terms of a template for this person, in terms of age, personality, mental illness, pattern for rest of life, this is the best fit there has ever been," he said.

Source (with photo)

#163 Zeph

Zeph

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:21 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the info and link. I have been facinated with Jack the Ripper ever since I did a paper on the case in college.
I'm a find you, I'm a blind you, with a camera flash I'm right behind you.
Our dreams are only limited by our passion to pursue them.

Check out my Blog

#164 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Zeph @ May 3 2007, 08:21 AM) View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the info and link. I have been facinated with Jack the Ripper ever since I did a paper on the case in college.

Definitely an intriguing subject for a paper.  Did you argue in favor of a specific suspect, or was it more of a general overview of the case?

#165 Zeph

Zeph

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:03 AM

It was more of a general overview of the case. Im sure I have the paper here somewhere, Ill have to dig it out
I'm a find you, I'm a blind you, with a camera flash I'm right behind you.
Our dreams are only limited by our passion to pursue them.

Check out my Blog

#166 Atticus

Atticus

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:57 AM

I apologize if it's already been said, but I've not enought time at present to read through all the responses.  I shall certainly try to when time allows though.

I have always held to the chick theory.  A midwife who worked and worked to make a living and sees these people out there being paid for such things.  Midwifes and the like would have a completely logical excuse to have blood on them, and as women would not likely be questioned.  There would also be some level of surgical knowledge and anatomical comfort.  Also, in such a situation as there was at the time, a woman would generally feel safe going off with another woman and not question their decision until it was too late.

#167 hatsheput63

hatsheput63

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:egypt..crafts..reading...history..drawing..my family...antiques..ghosts...evps...

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

When I worked in the nursing home of the VA hospital,  I was single and had my maiden name Kelly, I worked with Pat Chapman,and  Anne Nichols....we thought it was freaky to have three of the Ripper victim names on one ward.              ~Shelley
What is this ghost shadow that brushes my shoulder?
The night wind whispers and I must follow. Long is the shadow cast by the black wings of fear.

Posted Image

#168 Guest_lilkutz_*

Guest_lilkutz_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

I have the book and she sure puts on a good case, everything points to him and i think she may be right about this one                                    lil

#169 Guest_warriorprincess_*

Guest_warriorprincess_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

I find theories most frustrating I admit,we will possibly,even likely,never know...

#170 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Here's another interesting theory on JTR... One that states that the murders were actually done by different killers...

http://www.historicm...ck-the-rippers/

Jack The Rippers anyone?

#171 Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*

Guest_HelenaHandBaskettGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

Or Jill the Ripper?

http://www.historicm...m/mary-pearcey/

#172 Paranormal_RN

Paranormal_RN

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:Reading!!!!!!!!
    Redoing old furniture
    Paranormal

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

I've always been interested in Jack the Ripper.  What the article said made sense.  But, so does other theories on the Ripper being one person who "escalated" his killings based upon possibly feeling like he could get away with anything, or perhaps the pleasure he received from one kill needed to be worse on the next kill to derive the same pleasure.  

I have no idea who he was, or if there were more than one killer.  It's sort of like Kennedy, will we ever find out who really killed him.
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!"  Ash, aka T-Rex

"Your just jealous because the little voices talk to me!"

#173 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:55 PM

more ripper news http://www.news.com....c11911ab87a14eb

Will there ever be a case that is so popular as that of Jack?
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#174 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:57 AM

Posted Image At least we have moved away from the Mexican dude
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#175 Kellus Konstantin

Kellus Konstantin

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:10 AM

Hm, What Dr. Nini claims sounds pretty bogus to me. While I do see the potential of forensic linguistics, I highly doubt that there is enough material for a comparative analysis in a short letter and a postcard to draw any sort of conclusion from. Just my two cents.
A stranger walked into my head, made residence
I have a friend

#176 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:56 AM

Agree with you Kellus, its a bit of a stretch!
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#177 kevinscan

kevinscan

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    Friends
    Horror & Sci-fi
    A good mystery
    Star Wars
    Hiking

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

Iv'e seen a good documentary on the ripper called "The lost evidence"

Here's a link  https://www.youtube....h?v=SH35A-O6C1E
Posted Image

"Ghosts are not conscious entities, but emotional energy recorded in matter"

Sir Oliver Lodge

#178 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for the link it was very interesting
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#179 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Lead Moderator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 21 February 2018 - 02:57 AM, said:

Posted Image At least we have moved away from the Mexican dude

Why does he look like a young Danny Trejo?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users