Ghoststudy Homepage

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mystic-man

mystic-man

Orb

• GS Member
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Metal music, fishing, military, women, booze, paranormal<br /><br /><br />I'M A PROUD MEMBER OF PIT (PARANORMAL INVESTIGATION TEAM) (see my friend 'PIT LEADER' for more info)<br /><br />FEEL FREE TO LEAVE ME A COMMENT

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

Most of you probably have seen the video on the Ghoststudy home page. I personally even tho i am i beleiver think that its someone hiding, either under one of the shelves or in the corner or somewhere
"Qui audet adipiscitur" - Who dares wins

#2 gummblefish

gummblefish

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(mystic-man @ Nov 13 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most of you probably have seen the video on the Ghoststudy home page. I personally even tho i am i beleiver think that its someone hiding, either under one of the shelves or in the corner or somewhere

I think the video was paused then started again.

#3 Peasblossom

Peasblossom

EVP

• GS Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:32 PM

cant say if it was fake or real all i know is it was creepy  ermm.gif

#4 Bryan

Bryan

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:45 PM

I don't see how a person could fit in that pantry, but it is obviously faked. I just can't figure out how they did it.
"Sometimes when we stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back."

#5 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hi all,

This is creepy, and cleverly done I would like to say.

I do not think it was accomplished by pausing the camera, but that is just me.  The whole thing seems carefully, (if not believably) choreographed around the idea of it being done in one take in order to make it seem amazing.  The big giveaway is that the door opens less than ten seconds after the guy says "nothing yet."  The timing is just too suspicious.  Also, it seems like he was standing there with no tripod or anything.  I find it difficult to believe that someone would just stand there pointing the camera at a door for hours waiting for something to happen.

It is pretty clear that the person in the closet was small of stature.  The door is about mid-chest level with them, so I am estimating them to be in the four to four and a half foot range.  They cannot be seen clearly, but it appears to be a young girl or boy to me. If you look at the vid carefully in key moments, you can see that there is about a foot or so of space between the front of the shelves and the door frame.  That's plenty of room for a smallish person.

Here is my best guess on how this was done:

1. Our pranksters decide to put the frosted glass door to good use and make a ghost vid.  The younger smaller person is tagged to be the ghost, because they can fit in the pantry the easiest.  Also it gives the video a nice "Ring" feel.

2. After some brainstorming of the script and some rehearsal, the start shooting.  Remember that they could do this as many times as it took to get it right.

3. The ghost hides in the closet, flattening as close to the side wall as possible, on the hinge side of the door.  Perhaps they are counting or maybe they have a watch in there to time things by.  

4. The cameraman starts the camera makes his speech and then waits for our ghost to open the door.

5. On cue, the ghost reaches over, staying back from the glass so we canít see them, turns the knob and gives the door a little push.

6. The door swings open, but not all the way. That is very important.  The ghost is now crammed against the side of the pantry, which is wider than the door.  The door is not fully open, and the camera man is careful to keep at an angle that allows the door to provide extra cover for the ghost to hide in.  It is a very effective illusion and they did it quite well.

7. He approaches the pantry door, and closes it without showing us the entire interior of the pantry.  This is because there is a cute little ghost standing against the wall trying very hard not to giggle.

8. With the door shut, the cameraman backs away so that we get a good view of our ghost stepping out and then pressing its face and hands up to the frosted glass, making them visible.

9. The camera man then slowly approaches the door.  This gives the ghost time to duck down and huddle on the floor.

10. The cameraman yanks open the door and films his hand fumbling with common household items on a shelf while the ghost crawls out of the closet beneath the camera's field of vision.  In truth, he does start low and pans up, but if you count shelves, you will see that he does not even give us a clear view of the bottom shelf, let alone the floor, until he has played with the aspirin long enough for the ghost to get away.

11. When the ghost is clear, the cameraman then shows us the whole pantry including the floor, devoid of ghosts.

Well, that is my take on how this could have been faked.  I think it is reasonable to say that it could have been done this way.  All you need is a camera, a small child not too prone to giggling, and a pantry with a frosted glass door and a clean floor.  If you need any more convincing that it was staged, consider that last item.  How many pantries & closets have you ever seen that had a clutter-free floor like this one?    laugh.gif  

Seriously, I was so excited when I saw this!  It is well done & very convincing at first, but I do not think that it stands up to careful scrutiny.  I could be wrong of course.  It could be a real ghost, and if that is ever shown to be the most likely answer, I will actually feel pretty happy about that.

Regards, Canis

Edited by caniswalensis, 13 November 2008 - 03:32 PM.

#6 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:56 AM

I hope that was faked, because it was the scariest thing I have ever seen!  Yikes, I can't even watch it again to figure it out.

BRRRRRRR!!
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#7 Guest_LadyCrymson_*

Guest_LadyCrymson_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:02 AM

Dude has an oompa-loompa stowed away in his pantry!  yes.gif

#8 mystic-man

mystic-man

Orb

• GS Member
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Metal music, fishing, military, women, booze, paranormal<br /><br /><br />I'M A PROUD MEMBER OF PIT (PARANORMAL INVESTIGATION TEAM) (see my friend 'PIT LEADER' for more info)<br /><br />FEEL FREE TO LEAVE ME A COMMENT

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

I must say i was pretty spooked. It seems to have everyone confused. We've pretty much worked out it's a fake but thats it lol

#9 darwin

darwin

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

here is someones take on it.
clicky

#10 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,191 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

Good find darwin!  That video has been around for a long time. I had seen the point where the camera is started and restarted and knew it was a fake. And based on the glass being a "foggy" design, I don't even think someone had to hide against the sides of the pantry. It looks to me like if someone simply stood back from the glass they would not be visible until the actually made contact with the glass.

bites that this stuff is so easy to fake, it likely discredits some real paranormal footage
Posted Image

#11 Cambion

Cambion

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

Real or not, it definitely creeped me out. Yikes.
That figure behind the door looked way too solid to be an entity, but where it disappeared to is a mystery too. Of course, I am saying this as if video editing software didn't exist. Oh the fun you can have with Adobe programs.

#12 bigmaz

bigmaz

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(Cambion @ Nov 15 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Real or not, it definitely creeped me out. Yikes.
That figure behind the door looked way too solid to be an entity, but where it disappeared to is a mystery too. Of course, I am saying this as if video editing software didn't exist. Oh the fun you can have with Adobe programs.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_ofl9FjjfaE

This seems to be a fairly reasonable explanation.

#13 DarkOne

DarkOne

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE(caniswalensis @ Nov 13 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

This is creepy, and cleverly done I would like to say.

I do not think it was accomplished by pausing the camera, but that is just me.  The whole thing seems carefully, (if not believably) choreographed around the idea of it being done in one take in order to make it seem amazing.  The big giveaway is that the door opens less than ten seconds after the guy says "nothing yet."  The timing is just too suspicious.  Also, it seems like he was standing there with no tripod or anything.  I find it difficult to believe that someone would just stand there pointing the camera at a door for hours waiting for something to happen.

It is pretty clear that the person in the closet was small of stature.  The door is about mid-chest level with them, so I am estimating them to be in the four to four and a half foot range.  They cannot be seen clearly, but it appears to be a young girl or boy to me. If you look at the vid carefully in key moments, you can see that there is about a foot or so of space between the front of the shelves and the door frame.  That's plenty of room for a smallish person.

Here is my best guess on how this was done:

1. Our pranksters decide to put the frosted glass door to good use and make a ghost vid.  The younger smaller person is tagged to be the ghost, because they can fit in the pantry the easiest.  Also it gives the video a nice "Ring" feel.

2. After some brainstorming of the script and some rehearsal, the start shooting.  Remember that they could do this as many times as it took to get it right.

3. The ghost hides in the closet, flattening as close to the side wall as possible, on the hinge side of the door.  Perhaps they are counting or maybe they have a watch in there to time things by.  

4. The cameraman starts the camera makes his speech and then waits for our ghost to open the door.

5. On cue, the ghost reaches over, staying back from the glass so we canít see them, turns the knob and gives the door a little push.

6. The door swings open, but not all the way. That is very important.  The ghost is now crammed against the side of the pantry, which is wider than the door.  The door is not fully open, and the camera man is careful to keep at an angle that allows the door to provide extra cover for the ghost to hide in.  It is a very effective illusion and they did it quite well.

7. He approaches the pantry door, and closes it without showing us the entire interior of the pantry.  This is because there is a cute little ghost standing against the wall trying very hard not to giggle.

8. With the door shut, the cameraman backs away so that we get a good view of our ghost stepping out and then pressing its face and hands up to the frosted glass, making them visible.

9. The camera man then slowly approaches the door.  This gives the ghost time to duck down and huddle on the floor.

10. The cameraman yanks open the door and films his hand fumbling with common household items on a shelf while the ghost crawls out of the closet beneath the camera's field of vision.  In truth, he does start low and pans up, but if you count shelves, you will see that he does not even give us a clear view of the bottom shelf, let alone the floor, until he has played with the aspirin long enough for the ghost to get away.

11. When the ghost is clear, the cameraman then shows us the whole pantry including the floor, devoid of ghosts.

Well, that is my take on how this could have been faked.  I think it is reasonable to say that it could have been done this way.  All you need is a camera, a small child not too prone to giggling, and a pantry with a frosted glass door and a clean floor.  If you need any more convincing that it was staged, consider that last item.  How many pantries & closets have you ever seen that had a clutter-free floor like this one?    laugh.gif  

Seriously, I was so excited when I saw this!  It is well done & very convincing at first, but I do not think that it stands up to careful scrutiny.  I could be wrong of course.  It could be a real ghost, and if that is ever shown to be the most likely answer, I will actually feel pretty happy about that.

Regards, Canis

I saw this video on youtube several months back, and that is pretty much the same conclusion I came to. The person just ducks down,and while the guy rushes into the closet he does not immediately film to the right,which gives the person time to slip out of the closet with everything being done in one solid shot.

Posted Image
DarkOne-[Noun]; A person of questionable sanity.

#14 mystic-man

mystic-man

Orb

• GS Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

some good idea's i must say

#15 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(mystic-man @ Nov 14 2008, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must say i was pretty spooked. It seems to have everyone confused. We've pretty much worked out it's a fake but thats it lol

It has been established that it's fabricated, but the more I watch it, the more I notice about it.  I just watched it again, and this time I noticed that when we first see the door, if you look closely, you can see what appears to be legs inside the bottom panel of the door, and then when he walks up to the door and opens it, there's nothing there, and THEN, when he shoots the door from across the room again, the legs are gone.  THEN you see the upper part of the body and the head show up behind the door, but those legs are definitely there in the very beginning of the video.  I just wish I knew how they did and where the kid goes.

Elle

#16 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,191 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

There is a jump in the video (pointed out in the linked explanation video above) where the camera was paused or edited
Posted Image

#17 Claire

Claire

Living Dead

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • Interests:Photography, painting and ghosthunting!

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

Well, fake or not it creeped me out.  I guess in this day and time all we can really do is enjoy the entertainment value of photos and videos.  I long for the days when a photo (or video) was a photo.  But, then again, they were faking spiritual photos back in Victorian times.
"We all go a little mad sometimes."  Norman Bates

#18 candlewraith

candlewraith

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy & horror books & films; the paranormal; rats; drawing;
    music; halloween props & decor; the whispered, magical moments of connection to the universe from which we may learn.

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:34 AM

There could easily be fake shelving inside the pantry that swings open allowing the person to come and go. It definitely is creepily done though...
Posted Image

Wraithwood  - Images of Spirit & Dark Fantasy

#19 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Nov 22 2008, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a jump in the video (pointed out in the linked explanation video above) where the camera was paused or edited

Actually, the explanation video is debunking a different video from the same person.  So while it shows that the creater of the ghost video is not to be trusted, it does not speak to how he acomplished the video being discussed in this thread.

I also happen to think that the "masking" portion of the debunking video is inncorrect.  There is no need for that elaborate of an explanation.  With a pane of frosted glass like we see in the videos, you would only need to press against it and then move away from it to seem as though you were  appearing and dissappearing.

#20 QnsRyche

QnsRyche

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Metal!!! From my fav. Queensryche to NightRanger, to Fear factory, tosepultura..

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(Bryan @ Nov 13 2008, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see how a person could fit in that pantry, but it is obviously faked. I just can't figure out how they did it.

what makes it obvious that it was faked?  Is there proof that it was? I just hate it when people make it seem like a ghost video or photo "definitely fake".
We'll walk in the shadows, by day we'll live a dream. WALK WITH ME. I Love QUEENSRYCHE Ryche and roll!!!!! 1981-

Ya i know, that my world is coming down
and i know, im the one who brought it down
bring it on down!!   -Type O Negative