89 replies to this topic

#1 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/m...ofStMonance.jpg

Any real experts out there who can explain my photos I took in Scotland?

Edited by mairmoe, 03 March 2009 - 11:03 AM.

#2 OffDutyCop

OffDutyCop

Paranormal Law Enforcer

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Research and Investigation, Military History, Law Enforcement History, Irish and Irish-American History, Naval and Martime History, Writing, Video Gaming

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

Hi mairmoe -

While we have many folks on the forums who come close to the description of being an "expert" when it comes to the field of photography, I'm a firm believer in the fact that there are no "experts" in the field of paranormal research. I'm not sure what angle you were going for in your post, but I felt the need to through out an opinion. :P

As for your picture, is this a cropped, or scaled down image? If so, do you have the unaltered original? If you do, it would be great if you could post it here, so that we may see the picture in it's entirety. I feel that by doing so, you'll get more educated opinions in regards to whether or not the anomaly is paranormal in nature.
"In each of us, there are two sides at war....the good and the evil. The fight rages between them all of our lives, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be, we are. " ---Dr. Henry Jekyll

#3 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,379 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

Yes, the full picture, what was going on at the time etc would be useful info.
Posted Image

#4 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(Off Duty Cop @ Mar 2 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mairmoe -

While we have many folks on the forums who come close to the description of being an "expert" when it comes to the field of photography, I'm a firm believer in the fact that there are no "experts" in the field of paranormal research. I'm not sure what angle you were going for in your post, but I felt the need to through out an opinion. :P

As for your picture, is this a cropped, or scaled down image? If so, do you have the unaltered original? If you do, it would be great if you could post it here, so that we may see the picture in it's entirety. I feel that by doing so, you'll get more educated opinions in regards to whether or not the anomaly is paranormal in nature.

Yes I do have the original photo, it is too large for this site to unload, however I can send to an  alternative address.  I will also post  another of a portrait of the ghost, as it is believed  to be  him, I took the photo while in Scotland, the castle is real you can see the website type in St Monance castle . there wikll be several sites on this.
When to my surprise, when later that day I was in my B&B unloading photos from the day, when I saw this image on the face of the castle, it was around 2pm, as you can see the image is there, when I zoomed in I cropped the face to study it, in my dark room, I could also see a tear , was chilling, I cried when I saw this, was so sad. Please check this out , I sent it to the owner  Nola Crews, of the castle as his email info was on the fence of the castle, he san in said he has received many emails from so many people saying they see a man and a woman there.  I was the first one to send a photo, he believes it is Sir David Leslie, who lived there. The portrait also has identifying marks like a scar on the side of his mouth, also in the same position, side view, and beard, ridge over the eyebrows.
compare for yourself.

#5 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Mar 2 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, the full picture, what was going on at the time etc would be useful info.

I just commented, to answer your question, on here. it was taken in daylight, was overcast, in Fife Scotland.
Look up, St Monance castle, lots of info there about who trhis person was, I found out that his bones were dug up as the church where he was buried was doing renovations. His bones were thrown in the sea just behind the castle!

#6 OffDutyCop

OffDutyCop

Paranormal Law Enforcer

• GS Member
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Research and Investigation, Military History, Law Enforcement History, Irish and Irish-American History, Naval and Martime History, Writing, Video Gaming

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

My old eyes aren't what they used to be, but I believe that I may see what you're referring to. To be perfectly honest, it's still a bit difficult for me to form a honest opinion. That external link may indeed help.
"In each of us, there are two sides at war....the good and the evil. The fight rages between them all of our lives, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be, we are. " ---Dr. Henry Jekyll

#7 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE(Off Duty Cop @ Mar 2 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My old eyes aren't what they used to be, but I believe that I may see what you're referring to. To be perfectly honest, it's still a bit difficult for me to form a honest opinion. That external link may indeed help.

I will try to send you the whole photo , to the address you have here.
is large hope you can load on your pc.

#8 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

I've gotten very similar reflection orbs (off of all things my cat's license tags!),
it was early morning with the sun just coming up or not quiet dawn.

It didn't take much light, provided it was at the correct angle, to give me this affect!
(My photo of my cat with similar effect is in the GS archives as an example of lensflare.)

#9 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(trin @ Mar 2 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've gotten very similar reflection orbs (off of all things my cat's license tags!),
it was early morning with the sun just coming up or not quiet dawn.

It didn't take much light, provided it was at the correct angle, to give me this affect!
(My photo of my cat with similar effect is in the GS archives as an example of lensflare.)

RIGHT...this was No reflection...can you not see a face with a nose, eyes,cheeks, beard???
I guess if he were looking through a window like so many here , you might be able to see?

#10 The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

The_Dead_Shall_Rise_Again

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(mairmoe @ Mar 2 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RIGHT...this was No reflection...can you not see a face with a nose, eyes,cheeks, beard???
I guess if he were looking through a window like so many here , you might be able to see?

no need to be rude,you asked for opinions about the photo.if you didnt want any you didnt want to hear,then you shouldnt have posted the picture.

now as for the picture,sorry,i dont see anything paranormal.

#11 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE(mairmoe @ Mar 2 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... RIGHT...this was No reflection...can you not see a face with a nose, eyes,cheeks, beard??? ...

No, I personally don't see that. All I see is what looks like a lens flare, with severe chromatic aberration causing it to be deeply colored, and some details behind it that show through and could be mistaken for features. This is a common flaw in many photographs. It would help in the identification to have the full size, unaltered original picture to work with.

#12 Roxstar

Roxstar

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, ghost and after life research, family, music, science, video games. I am mostly into EVP but also love to use spirit boxes and other forms of communication. It's a true passion of mine, more than a hobby.

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

Whatever "it" is does take an odd shape, but no great judgement can be had without the full picture.  I have no idea what I am looking at  Picture 562.gif

"What Scares You, Masters You."

-UNKNOWN-

#13 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(Snowlord @ Mar 2 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I personally don't see that. All I see is what looks like a lens flare, with severe chromatic aberration causing it to be deeply colored, and some details behind it that show through and could be mistaken for features. This is a common flaw in many photographs. It would help in the identification to have the full size, unaltered original picture to work with.

send me your email address and I will be happy to send you the original photo.

#14 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:13 AM

I sort of see features in the photo.  If it is a lens flare, it certainly seems to have a solid feel to it.  I have taken photos outdoors and have caught lens flare and for some reason it is always this purple color.  Maybe it is a mixture of both?  

It is an interesting, yet sad story.  

Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#15 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,379 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:42 AM

You can upload the pic to a hosting site like photobucket and simply post the pic from their, using the picture posting function (versus uploading the pic)

I'd like to see the context of the whole thing, but at this point I'd have to agree it looks like lens flare or a reflection. Even in dust orbs if you look you can sometimes see what appears to be features that are just an illusion
Posted Image

#16 Avaren

Avaren

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE(mairmoe @ Mar 2 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I to think it is a lens flare BUT behind that i do think you captured a full figured...something. it looks like a man in a suit to be perfectly honest.
~The more we learn the less we know~

#17 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(Avaren @ Mar 3 2009, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I to think it is a lens flare BUT behind that i do think you captured a full figured...something. it looks like a man in a suit to be perfectly honest.

I had many pro photographers look at it, one works for Nat'l Geographic, they know more than me, all of them said no flare, I didn't use a flash, and it was overcast, No sun. I used a Canon digital.
If you look at the  other photo I posted of who he is believed to be, you will see many characteristics of the ghost face. His face in the portrait is at the same angle as well, also the owner of the castle said he has received many who sees a man and a woman at the castle on various occasions, I may go back there someday.

#18 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

It is very difficult for us to even begin to analyze a 200 pixel wide snippet of something that's obviously blown up to the point of pixellization.

As Vlawde suggested, we could take a much better look at it if you were to upload the whole, unaltered image to a free hosting site such as photobucket.com, shutterfly.com or imageshack.us and use their code to post a link to the image.  You can be assured that people don't steal photos or credit around here or use the image to abuse or flame you... I've been around here a long time and I've yet to see that happen.

Otherwise, and I hate to say it, it really makes it seem like this is just another one of those "I'll post an ambiguous snippet and then laugh my tuchus off when those loonies call it a cap" postings that we get here all the time.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#19 mairmoe

mairmoe

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Tantric Kitten @ Mar 3 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is very difficult for us to even begin to analyze a 200 pixel wide snippet of something that's obviously blown up to the point of pixellization.

As Vlawde suggested, we could take a much better look at it if you were to upload the whole, unaltered image to a free hosting site such as photobucket.com, shutterfly.com or imageshack.us and use their code to post a link to the image.  You can be assured that people don't steal photos or credit around here or use the image to abuse or flame you... I've been around here a long time and I've yet to see that happen.

Otherwise, and I hate to say it, it really makes it seem like this is just another one of those "I'll post an ambiguous snippet and then laugh my tuchus off when those loonies call it a cap" postings that we get here all the time.

When I try to post the whole photo this site says it is too big. so will see if I can post the way you suggested, thanks so much! or I can send to whatever address you want.

#20 xjadedx

xjadedx

Baby Girl

• GS Member
  • 7,709 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal, cooking, beer, celtic culture and art, irish step dancing, constellations, backpacking, anything to do with cheese

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(mairmoe @ Mar 3 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I try to post the whole photo this site says it is too big. so will see if I can post the way you suggested, thanks so much! or I can send to whatever address you want.

Like Tantric Kitten suggested, try uploading the picture on Photobucket, and posting the link. It's hard for anyone to really know what we're supposed to be looking at here.

xjadedx

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on." --Led Zepplin