12 replies to this topic

#1 dtommy79

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hi,

I was wondering about what equipments paranormal investigators use when working? Are these tools valid or scientifically justified/approved/tested?
My Signature

#2 BLKCAT4U

Orb

• GS Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hello and good question.
  The Gadits over say the last 15 years have come a long way.  Heck i walked into a room and people were using some knock off version of a FRANKS BOX and it said my Daughters name and then called me sacrilegious.Coincidence???  Hope so  lol. In my world the BEST equipment is myself and my GUT feeling. For some people like to use the modern equipment. There are a lot of "GHOSTHUNTING" tool websites that sell everything from meters to spirit Vaccumes that will suck up the ghosts and put it in a jar. I have never seen a universal code like a lab certified or UL on equipment. Mabe someday but for now, buyer beware. The research is easy and national and local groups usually post on their websites what equipment they are using. A lot can be gleaned from that. Good luck

The CAT

#3 Sinohmi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

This has been a hobby for my wife and myself. Gut feelings is certainly something to pay attention to. You will quite often feel some reaction to a difference in the area. We've experienced things from the sensation of static electricity, nausea, dizziness and sometimes a metallic type taste in your mouth. As for attempting to record evidence on anomalistic phenomena we have had good success with a set of digital recorders (Olympus vn-6000 vn-7000 & ws-801 stereo recorder $60-$80) and a digital camera. Check out a pic I took with phone camera(HTC Incredible 8mp at the time). - Mike http://ghoststudy.co...2012/fin104.htm

Edited by Sinohmi, 30 June 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#4 dtommy79

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

That's a nice catch Sinohmi.
My Signature

#5 JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,189 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

Sinohmi, I'm still excited to have the opportunity to display your Queen Mary capture on Ghoststudy.com!  :)

http://ghoststudy.co...2012/fin104.htm

#6 Sinohmi

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

Jim@GhostStudy, on 03 August 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

Sinohmi, I'm still excited to have the opportunity to display your Queen Mary capture on Ghoststudy.com!  :)

http://ghoststudy.co...2012/fin104.htm

Thanks Jim! It turned me on to this site so the pleasure is all mine!

#7 NGhostStalkerY

Cold Spot

• GS Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

dtommy79, on 27 June 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

Hi,

I was wondering about what equipments paranormal investigators use when working? Are these tools valid or scientifically justified/approved/tested?
Good question, well, first the most basic of equipment is the "digital voice recorder", that's were us P/I's capture EVP's. Any meter that measures milligauss (Mel-Meter, K2, Ghost Meter (ick), etc), is a time tested an pretty well substantiated piece of equip. After all, how can somebody explain a Mel Meter reading of 3.8 in a totaly desolate and isolated area far from any electrical grid. Regular cameras, are a good tool, but not really needed to actually capture sothing paranormal, is akin to finding the holy grail. Camera's such as full spectrums and FLIR (see avatar), are tremendous tools, that is if you can incur the steep price.

The most core tools that any investigator must have on their person is the Voice Recoder and any milligauss measurement device ( excluding the ghost meter..eww). After all, you only have two hands.
My Signature
Cattle die, kinsmen die; the self must also die. I know one thing which never dies: the reputation of each dead man.

-Havamal

#8 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

My team uses a wide array of equipment usually decided after the initial interview with the client. We take several digital cameras, night shot capable video recorders, a security set up that allows us to use four night vision cameras in stationary positions and monitor them via a central location, digital and analog voice recorders, several different types of EMF meters, and a few gadgets we have built ourselves like IR boosters and EMF pumps. I am also fond of golf balls and poker chips as bait objects.
That being said I still feel the best tool you can have is an open but skeptic mind. Be open to the experience but understand even the most extreme paranormal event may be explained away in natural terms.
My Signature

#9 LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

lorddraven2000, on 23 April 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

That being said I still feel the best tool you can have is an open but skeptic mind. Be open to the experience but understand even the most extreme paranormal event may be explained away in natural terms.

AMEN!
My Signature
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#10 earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

Agree Draven! You have to be open but also willing to accept natural reasons!
My Signature
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#11 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:46 AM

For me if you go in knowing the place is haunted you are going to influence the outcome regardless of what you find, and the same can be said for going in knowing it is not haunted.
My Signature

#12 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

lorddraven2000, on 24 April 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

For me if you go in knowing the place is haunted you are going to influence the outcome regardless of what you find, and the same can be said for going in knowing it is not haunted.

I'm not sure what you mean by "outcome" ... if you mean overall impression of a place then yeah sure but whatever "evidence" you collect shouldn't be affected :no: How you interpret the evidence might be different BUT if your evidence is strong it is what it is regardless of initial impressions :yes:

Personally I couldn't imagine going someplace to do an investigation and NOT think it might be haunted ... I mean that's kinda the point :bunny:
My Signature
- siguie -

#13 lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

What I am saying is what you see in the evidence. If you go in thinking you are 100% getting proof positive evidence than when you evaluate every shadow and light glare will be interpreted as actual evidence of a haunting. What I mean by knowing is like when a client calls and says I think my house is haunted. If your job is to determine if that is the case and find proof and you go in "knowing" before hand the place is 100% haunted than you will effect how you evaluate your evidence. Strong evidence is great but we have all seen lense flare and the such regarded as true paranormal evidence simply because the person who evaluated it refused to accept any other means. I should have worded this better.

Let me use firefighting as an example. If I think every structure fire is arson regardless of what the evidence is telling me than I am not fully opening up to what the evidence is actually showing me. Does that make sense?
My Signature

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com