Ed And Lorraine Warren

• You cannot reply to this topic
70 replies to this topic

#61 MrsFrootloops

Wraith

• Lead Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:10 PM

Lol, if you want good answers, ask me, if you want correct answers, ask google.
My Signature
Do whatever makes you happy, whatever fruits your loops.

#62 Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,457 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

It's settled then... we'll ask you!   :carrot:
My Signature
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#63 crash

Orb

• GS Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:15 AM

I was reading this interview with the news reporter who spent the night in Amityville with the Warrens,was interesting. He described them as-

“From what I can remember of [the Warrens], they seemed like showbiz psychics — that what they were really all about was a nightclub act. Having dealt years earlier, like I said, with people who were serious about paranormal research — and that was everything from people who were trying to locate ghosts, people who were doing exorcisms, people who could clean homes of negative spirits, people who were trying to resuscitate ancient Egyptian magic rituals, yogas, Buddhists who were looking to identify reincarnated llamas in children who were being born, that whole thing — I’ve worked that world, but I had never really come across anyone as ‘showbiz goofy’ as the Warrens. They struck me as not being psychic researchers, but more of a nightclub act"

http://feeds2.feedbu...amityvillefiles
My Signature
Amityville '76 Game development - https://www.facebook...AmityvilleGame/

#64 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Interests:Photography, audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'll stay away from a feud as I too have my own spin on the Warren's. I live a mere 30 minutes from their residence. What I will say is that Ed was a marketing genius. At the birth of their paranormal entertainment career, Ed talked his way into places he wanted to investigate by setting up an easel in front of the targeted location and would paint the house/residence in question. (Ed actually painted decently). Within time, the curious residents would approach him because of his lengthy and unusual activity. Needless to say this opened the door to conversation and interaction with the owners. Pretty smart way to initiate an entrance.
My Signature
Posted Image
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.:"
----Bertrand Russell----

#65 earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

I wonder if it's because of the time when Ed was around? Do you think that he would have had more of an ability to investigate freely without 'marketing' if he was young and alive today EVP?
My Signature
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#66 Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,457 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:03 AM

EVP... setting up an easel in front of the "targeted" location? .....Is that documented from a reliable source? But either way, I don't see the harm in painting a suspected haunted house, being he was a painter and dedicated to paranormal research. If I was a painter and absolutely loved kite flying, I would probably be at the beach painting all the kite flying shenanigans.

I'm really not sure that labeling Ed as having a career as a "paranormal entertainer" is accurate. From what I have studied, he took the paranormal quite serious.  Posted Image

I'm not trying to start a debate... just wanting to better understand.... balance is always good.  ^_^
My Signature
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#67 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Jim, I live just 30 miles from Monroe where the Warrens live. I asked Ed personally back in 2003 when I did a museum tour. This was when I was first starting out and I was looking for tips on gaining entrance to selected locations. I asked him, and pardon me if I do not get the word semantics perfect, "How were you able to initially gain access when you first started your exploration?" Ed said, " I'm a painter and I would set my easel up in front of a place and just start painting. In time the resident out of curiosity would come to me and ask what I was doing. This allowed to build a repore instantly and would often flatter them."

Maybe I didn't term it quite to your liking when I said paranormal entertainer. Maybe "paranormal celebrity" would have been more appropriate. It's fairly obvious you're overly sensitive when the Warrens are mentioned. I have been on this board for 11 years and I have seen you react similar before. Next time I will ask the "Fruitloop" to moderate our conversation  since you are touchy :)

Regardless, my words in this thread was in observation and not criticism. In fact, I was complimentary to Ed's actions. In any successful business, one has to market or you are left broke.Whether I agree with their cases in the past ranging from the Bridgeport Poltergeist case or the infamous Amityville, my words were meant to be void of any negatively. So there is my balance as you would say.

Edited by EVP, 07 August 2017 - 01:02 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image
----Bertrand Russell----

#68 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

View Postearthlydelites, on 07 August 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

I wonder if it's because of the time when Ed was around? Do you think that he would have had more of an ability to investigate freely without 'marketing' if he was young and alive today EVP?

I don't think it had so much to do with the time but Ed/Lorraine themselves. They had people skills and knew how to talk. Those parameters are no different today. Business needs good people skills to survive, The Warrens followed their dreams and brought the paranormal to the forefront. Whether you like them or not, they were pioneers in this own time and were able to live off paranormal investigation. There are only a handful that have enjoyed that luxury. The Warrens were a successful spiritual paranormal team. They relied on fundamental belief systems and were recognized in the paranormal community as leaders.

Q: Do you think that he would have had more of an ability to investigate freely without 'marketing?

A: I don't believe so. Marketing gives you a name people remember. An established reputation is key to any business. It opens doors and allows you to chose prominent cases that are recognized in the public eye.

Edited by EVP, 07 August 2017 - 03:07 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image
----Bertrand Russell----

#69 chapsparanormal

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Martial Arts, Travel, Geocaching

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

I don't think all merits of Paraenterainment are bad. No doubt Ed was good at marketing himself and Lorraine. That is not a bad thing. If they had clout in what they were doing, then also a good thing.

There are a lot of folks out there with serious clout, but a knack for being dramatic and fun to watch. IE Josh Gates, who is very very qualified in many of the fields he entertains with.

I am not really a big guy for the mediums. I grew up in the Spiritualist church, and I took mediumship training. From some very reputable people. Back then many told us to stay away from Lorraine, frankly I think it was a jealousy thing. Or that people don't trust celebs.
I know Jason and the Ghost Hunters crew quite personally. I can attest to their own intentions and merits.
Production companies, do what they do. Often integrity suffers in the end.

Sorry if that was a little disjointed of a bunch of comments, re reading it seemed confusing
My Signature
Dave Gibb,
Director Canadian Haunting and Paranormal Society
http://www.chapsparanormal.ca
Liaison TAPS Family International.
Oshawa Ontario Canada

#70 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

I have seen this first hand by a large production company and unfortunately a binding contract reduces your involvement in first hand product creation. To be blunt, you have sold part of your yourself away after you sign a contract.

I hold a similar approach and examine events in the field empirically. I try to remove belief systems from my own exploration and just examine the facts on hand. I see it as a huge puzzle that will always have missing pieces. I don't fault anyone for leading their exploration from a spiritual side. I respect that and hold judgment as long as my methodology is mutually respected. I think belief systems balanced with empirical study is key. Holding a mantra too dear to one side unfortunately closes doors for alternative explanations.That where investigating with others can bring different conclusions and keep the mind open.

Edited by EVP, 08 August 2017 - 03:33 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image
----Bertrand Russell----

#71 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:34 AM

View Postchapsparanormal, on 07 August 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

I don't think all merits of Paraenterainment are bad. No doubt Ed was good at marketing himself and Lorraine. That is not a bad thing. If they had clout in what they were doing, then also a good thing.

There are a lot of folks out there with serious clout, but a knack for being dramatic and fun to watch. IE Josh Gates, who is very very qualified in many of the fields he entertains with.

I am not really a big guy for the mediums. I grew up in the Spiritualist church, and I took mediumship training. From some very reputable people. Back then many told us to stay away from Lorraine, frankly I think it was a jealousy thing. Or that people don't trust celebs.
I know Jason and the Ghost Hunters crew quite personally. I can attest to their own intentions and merits.

Sorry if that was a little disjointed of a bunch of comments, re reading it seemed confusing

OMG, I love Josh. He's from my home state. He's a certified SCUBA diver, summited Mt. Kilimanjaro, climbed Mt. Aconcagua. He has degrees from Tufts University in Archaeology and Drama. He has participated in the University of Maryland's archaeological excavations of Caesarea Maritima,.he worked with researchers to excavate the ancient city's submerged harbor complex. He's traveled to more than 100 countries and inducted into The Explorers Club. Also, he has a bestselling book, “Memoirs of a Monster Hunter,” which by the way is an awesome read.
My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com