Free Skins
© Fisana

Why Do People Always Associate The Kraken With A Squid?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy

Apport

• GS Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

I was watching a thing a while back about it & there all like "a squid can't possibly lift a tentacle up out of the water so thus The Kraken can't possibly exist"

You know what can lift it's tentacles out of the water & even hunt on land? An Octopus!

So why have I never once heard of The Kraken refered to as a possible Octopus?

Edited by JustSomeGuy, 10 February 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#2 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

Because of Herman Melville and most especially Jules Verne.

The folklore that the creature and name come from suggest a whale.
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#3 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Shadow Ghost

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

I always thought it was a giant octopus, either Enteroctopus dofleini or a new unidentified species.

Enteroctopus dofleini is distinguished from other species by its sheer size. Adults usually weigh around 15 kg (33 lb), with an arm span of up to 4.3 m (14 ft). The larger individuals have been measured at 50 kg (110 lb) and have a radial span of 6 m (20 ft) However, highly questionable records of specimens up to 272 kg (600 lb) in weight with a 9-m (30-ft) arm span have been reported. Guinness World Records lists the biggest as 136 kg (300 lb) with an arm span of 9.8 m (32 ft).  American zoologist G.H. Parker found that the largest suckers on a GPO is about 6.4 cm (2.5 in) and can support 16 kg (35 lb) each

Posted Image

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#4 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

I'm not sure. I think Jules Verne classified it that way if I remember, and it's been known to be so since then. If you remember, Pirates of the Caribbean had it as an octopus.

#5 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Shadow Ghost

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf, Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

If you take into account of the size of the sailing ships of yore and compare it to the largest recorded octopus, it seems that it could be capable of sinking a ship. Take for instance the Mayflower.

The ship was 180-tons(163,293.2kg), with a 100-feet(30m) in length and only 25-feet(7.6m) in width. The largest octopus had a arm span of 30-feet(9.8m). It could have easily wrapped it's arms around the center of the ship.

Now when it comes to the suckers, the average octopus has 240 suckers per arm and each sucker can support the weight of 35-lbs(15.87573kg), that's 8,400-lbs(3810.17kg) of weight per arm.  So, with all arms engaged, it could support 67,200-lbs.(30481.4kg) total.

To sink a 180 ton ship, it would only need to apply pressure enough, to make a decent-sized crack in the hull and the ship would go down.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users