Who Hates Orbs?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(wuwei @ Sep 3 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I don't like orbs.  Perhaps they help add to other evidence collected at the same time but most of the time they don't seem to meet a reasonable standard of evidence.  Now I also will admit my experience is solely derived from looking at other people's photos.  I've also seen many digital photos that have been zoomed in so much all you are left with is noise really (and digital handhelds, even with high megapixel counts produce a lot of noise due to the small sensor size and CMOS technology).  But look around enough and you're sure to find a face somewhere.  I think the term for this is apophenia.  Now maybe there was actually a very grainy ghost face there, it might be interesting, but not evidence.  Same deal with some interpretations of EVPs.

Of course when something really good does come up, a lot of people automatically assume it must have been faked.  You just can't win I guess.

I wonder has anyone had success in recording orbs with other methods (e.g. FLIR)?  Is movement a factor?  If one takes a picture of an orb moving (blur) and you know the shutter speed it should be possible to calculate the speed the object was travelling at the time of the shot, given measurements of the other objects in the picture (and a range based on minimum and maximum distance from the camera).  This would be an interesting experiment.

Wuwei

Nice post!  If you will permit me, I would like to clarify one point.

Apophenia is more like perceiving connections between unrelated events.  An example would be if someone heard a door slam and was convinced a demon had done it to taunt him about his brother's death by gunshot.  

Pareidolia is the perception of faces or other distinct shapes and forms in indistinct images.  The classic example is "bunnys in clouds."  I believe that this is what you are referring to.

Anyway, I hope that this is helpful.  If I am being a know-it-all, please just ignore me. :-)

Regards, Canis

#62 wuwei

wuwei

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(caniswalensis @ Sep 3 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice post!  If you will permit me, I would like to clarify one point.

Apophenia is more like perceiving connections between unrelated events.  An example would be if someone heard a door slam and was convinced a demon had done it to taunt him about his brother's death by gunshot.  

Pareidolia is the perception of faces or other distinct shapes and forms in indistinct images.  The classic example is "bunnys in clouds."  I believe that this is what you are referring to.

Anyway, I hope that this is helpful.  If I am being a know-it-all, please just ignore me. :-)

Thanks for the kind sentiment and the correction.  I was interested in your comment, and in looking further into it (in Wikipedia, for what it is worth) pareidolia is a form of apophenia (so the use of the word pareidolia is more precise).  So we we are both right, and both know-it-alls.  good.gif

Wuwei
Sometimes you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right -- Jerry Garcia
Ontario Society for Paranormal Research
Associate Member, Society for Psychical Research

#63 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • 4,576 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(Snowlord @ Sep 3 2008, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question for the people who believe ( and have pictures ) that orbs can "generate their own light". Could someone explain the difference between a very bright, dense, and solid flash reflection from a piece of dust ... and something that is generating its own light? And how can this be determined from a photograph? And please post a picture so I can see one. Thank you.

Problem is, that's the sort of thing I've seen with my eyes... (it's like a movie effect! with a ball of light like "tinkerbell" ) but I hadn't ever gotten a photo of it.

#64 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(wuwei @ Sep 3 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the kind sentiment and the correction.  I was interested in your comment, and in looking further into it (in Wikipedia, for what it is worth) pareidolia is a form of apophenia (so the use of the word pareidolia is more precise).  So we we are both right, and both know-it-alls.  good.gif

Wuwei

Hooray for us!   laugh.gif

#65 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(trin @ Sep 3 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Problem is, that's the sort of thing I've seen with my eyes... (it's like a movie effect! with a ball of light like "tinkerbell" ) but I hadn't ever gotten a photo of it.

I also see bright balls of light, like you describe, but in me it is because of a physical problem I have with one of my retinas. I also get a lot of flickering movement associated with the same problem. I wouldn't be able to trust my eyes if I was on a ghost hunt.  smile.gif

Keep trying to get a shot of one, though, as I am very interested in seeing one.

( If it helps anyone to come forward with this, I will not comment on, or try to debunk, the photos, I just want to have a look. )

#66 Ubriaca

Ubriaca

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, reading, writing, fashion, design

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

I am sorry, I feel you are ALL wrong about orbs.

You see, I had an amazing experience. It was really traumatic. It was really bad weather one night, and I was really upset for some reason. I tripped and fell that night, and I actually SAW an orb, floating towards me! It was round, and pinkish, sort of like a bubble, only NOT a bubble.

Here's what I saw next:

Sorry, I had to do it. Now back to your regularly scheduled orb debate.

Edited by Ubriaca, 05 September 2008 - 06:11 PM.

Follow Me On Twitter: @ChandraMischief

#67 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

We probably deserved that.

#68 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • 6,166 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

lol, and yes canis you are being a no it all... but we love you anyways. Just playing I think you are being honest and I have the greatest amount of respect for that.

#69 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:05 AM

I love orbs

It might be a long watch for those who hate orbs

Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#70 WhispersInTheAttic

WhispersInTheAttic

Banshee

• GS Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:01 PM

When I first got into ghosts and hauntings, I always found orbs to be interesting. Now that I'm a lot older, I think there's a lot more evidence that you should also look at and orbs doesn't clearly back up claims for haunted places for orbs being in pictures. There needs to be more structured evidence. I wouldn't say I hate orbs, but there's more things that should be looked at more closely.

Posted Image

#71 daphnerose

daphnerose

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:34 PM

Ok I'm not much into orb pictures but I have seen actual orbs and a square once.

#72 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:34 AM

I have seen them too, they are the ones I know for sure aren't camera anomalies. I haven't seen a square one though; interesting!

Posted Image

#73 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • 2,767 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:30 PM

I would LOVE to see just one!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

#74 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:37 AM

:yes: If you do, you will know for sure there are orbs other than camera stuff  :D

Posted Image

#75 daphnerose

daphnerose

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:38 PM

View PostMichelleGStudy, on 18 April 2021 - 07:30 PM, said:

I would LOVE to see just one!!!!!!!!!!
My cat and I watched a square orb one nite move all around the walls of the house.

#76 Soulout

Soulout

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:54 PM

I don't hate orbs its beautiful to see before they become full apparitions if they choose so, not sure why you hate orbs maybe it's uncomfortable or makes you feel intimidated until you fully comprehend what you are seeing etc js