3 replies to this topic

#1 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

I have a Deviant Art account and I wrote this....
https://syddygurl.de...ENDED-743139121
....I never watched the movie or saw the play but I did see clips and read the summaries on TVTropes and Wikipedia and I'm bummed to no end.

I'm kinda weird and I believe in an afterlife and I would've preferred a bittersweet ending where both Tony and Maria die so they can be together in the hereafter.

I know it's based on Romeo & Juliet but the "sting" of that story was always negated by the fact that Romeo & Juliet died together and will be in the hereafter, together.

Everyone sees Maria surviving as a lighter ending but for me, it's worse, because she's not with the man she was meant for, her soulmate....the one she was put on earth to love.

Soulmates are meant to be together....it's ordained by Karma and Deity!

They sang that song "Someday" where they wistfully sang "There is a place for us....we'll find a new way of living...." etc. Why make that song meaningless or just apply to others around them?

In my world; Tony and Maria will never be apart.

What do you think of my better ending?

In it; It' a compromise....
* You still get a tragic death....like Romeo & Juliet.
* No need for suicide.
* Esoterically a happy ending because Tony & Maria are together....as Deity and Fate intended.
* Like in the original; The gangs end their war and everyone reconciles.

Even with death; It should've ended on a hopeful bittersweet note.

What do you feel about my

DOUBLE POSTED! HOW DO I ERASE A DOUBLE POST?

AND WHY IS "WEST" IN LOWER-CASE?
Posted Image

#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:33 PM

I can delete the double post; from memory, I think it is only staff who can do this :) and I think it will only cap the beginning of each word and the ( " ) is acting as the begin of the word West.

LOL yes, I think I like your ending better.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

Your ending is better. That's the one thing that really bugs me. If your a fan of Shakespeare, it is a bit irking, they should have stuck to the original ending of R&J..

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#4 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:07 AM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 02 May 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

I can delete the double post; from memory, I think it is only staff who can do this :) and I think it will only cap the beginning of each word and the ( " ) is acting as the begin of the word West.

LOL yes, I think I like your ending better.

Thank you so much.

Someone should do a rewrite with this new ending and make the ending bittersweet to take the soul-crushing-ness out a bit. You got a musical full of dancing and stuff and it just ENDS in a sudden dark way.

I want a feeling of "hope" when I see the gangs reconciling.

And again; To have Maria die, too....then imply she's with Tony in the hereafter, would be a better ending. The song, "Somewhere" would actually mean something hopeful and prophetic rather than a mere sad delusion.

To have her not die made it more depressing, IMHO. I want her and Tony together.

That's what made Romeo & Juliet good, it was sad that both kids died but they're still together and presumably together in the hereafter and the two families reconciled and vowed to never fight again.

In West Side Story, however; We have the lovers separated, a more sedate reconciliation and a mock funeral procession.

R&J was bittersweet while WSS was just a complete downer.

View PostMacCionoadha BeanSidhe, on 03 May 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

Your ending is better. That's the one thing that really bugs me. If your a fan of Shakespeare, it is a bit irking, they should have stuck to the original ending of R&J..

I know, Man.

Someone needs to create an updated script with the new ending then maybe perform it off-broadway and if there's a Broadway revival, have the new ending.

The WSS is also darker because....since it's implied that Tony & Maria had sex....what if Maria is pregnant? It's a story in the 1950's and being a pregnant teenage girl was even WORSE back then!

OH DEAR GAWD! THE NEW ENDING NEEDS TO BE CANON!
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users