Scam Alert!

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

#1 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:42 AM

Ok, so I had to practically yell at an HP tech support dude because he was remotely accessing my PayPal account and tried to buy two iTunes gift cards for me, when he told me that it was a "free gift".  I then ended the remote session and yelled into the phone "Why do you need any type of money or information about credit cards from me?  This is a free gift!!!"  I then hung up and restarted my laptop and changed my passwords.  PayPal also noticed the "unusual activity" and now my account is locked until I can send them proof of my identity.

DO NOT CALL THESE TECH SUPPORT NUMBERS FOR ANYTHING!  I believe these guys are here to scam the heck out of us.  My Uncle had the same problem with an Acer tech support call about a year ago.  The guy was poking around in his PayPal account doing the same thing.  These were also legitimate phone numbers found on the company websites.  BE CAREFUL!

Some advice...  Always do tech support in person.  Never call the numbers.  Also, never let anybody remotely access your computer.  If you do, watch them with an eagle eye.
My Signature

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#2 Kristin

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

Good looking out!! Thank You for sharing!!!

#3 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

You are welcome!  It sent my wife into a panic at work.  All of a sudden, we kept getting these emails that someone was poking around in her Wal-Mart account, PayPal account, etc.  Yeah, these guys are sneaky.
My Signature

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#4 HotSpot24

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

Hate calling tech support. Have had to for my Xbox 360 and Xbox 1S a few times. Luckily I don't have credit cards tied to my XBLA accounts. (Had to make a new one for 1S, couldn't reboot my old one) I just buy the pre-paid cards to get stuff on them, it's the better alternative.

#5 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

A lot of these tech services are located in other countries and are only loosely affiliated with the company they are working for so can get kind of sketchy, I strongly recommend contacting the company and reporting the incidents when they happen.

I also recommend using temporary generated credit cards numbers like BoAs shopsafe or added pin code requirements like safepass or similar systems.

Also browsers like Chrome have secondary password locks which are easy to setup but rarely used.

Basically no one should be able to simply get on your computer, remotely or first hand,  and have access to any of your secured accounts :no:
My Signature
- siguie -

#6 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

View Postsiguie, on 17 October 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

A lot of these tech services are located in other countries and are only loosely affiliated with the company they are working for so can get kind of sketchy, I strongly recommend contacting the company and reporting the incidents when they happen.

I also recommend using temporary generated credit cards numbers like BoAs shopsafe or added pin code requirements like safepass or similar systems.

Also browsers like Chrome have secondary password locks which are easy to setup but rarely used.

Basically no one should be able to simply get on your computer, remotely or first hand,  and have access to any of your secured accounts :no:

My thoughts exactly, siguie.  Thankfully, I did not type in any passwords.  He said he was going to flip a few switches that might have been tweaked and then be done with it.  And instead, there he goes opening Firefox and getting into PayPal to get my free gift for me.  Yeah, that's never happening again.

View PostHotSpot24, on 17 October 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

Hate calling tech support. Have had to for my Xbox 360 and Xbox 1S a few times. Luckily I don't have credit cards tied to my XBLA accounts. (Had to make a new one for 1S, couldn't reboot my old one) I just buy the pre-paid cards to get stuff on them, it's the better alternative.

Yeah, you did good there.  I'm not doing anything like that over the phone, ever again.  Nobody knows if these companies that you are talking to are hijacking phone calls, or if they are credible.
My Signature

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#7 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Interests:photography, anomalous audio recordings & enigmas.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

I'd report the number to HP if you feel someone was scamming you. Without do that just leads others to be victimized & an unheard complaint.

I've never been fond of HP since they started bloating their software, laptops and printers. The only hardware I'd buy from them is their LaserJets now.

Edited by EVP, 17 October 2017 - 04:51 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image
"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt" - Mark Twain

#8 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

It was their corporate HP customer support number that is found on their website.  I called it again and got the same office.  The second person even had a similar accent.  They are using generic American names like "Henry Williams" or "Jack Davidson".  HP probably has their call centers filled with contracted workers, who are not there to actually help, and are giving HP a bad name.  

And don't worry.  I'm not about to let this go by the wayside.  A lady at PayPal said the best thing to do would be to call the Attorney General and escalate it from there, or possibly file a report with the FBI.  I called the State Capitol today and they said they will be getting in touch with me within the next couple days.  Apparently this is happening a lot, because the person at the capitol office said this is the fourth case of this nature that they have been called about in the last couple of months.
My Signature

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#9 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 17 October 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

It was their corporate HP customer support number that is found on their website.  I called it again and got the same office.  The second person even had a similar accent.  They are using generic American names like "Henry Williams" or "Jack Davidson".  HP probably has their call centers filled with contracted workers, who are not there to actually help, and are giving HP a bad name.  

And don't worry.  I'm not about to let this go by the wayside.  A lady at PayPal said the best thing to do would be to call the Attorney General and escalate it from there, or possibly file a report with the FBI.  I called the State Capitol today and they said they will be getting in touch with me within the next couple days.  Apparently this is happening a lot, because the person at the capitol office said this is the fourth case of this nature that they have been called about in the last couple of months.

Hard to believe actually, they have the corporate number outsourced as well but nowadays that does not surprise me. I have a history of computer repair proficiency originating from schooling in 1996. I have a small customer base that relies on my repair work, configuration and networking skills. Several years ago, I received a call from a customer asking for some printer help after they bought it. Unfortunately, they bought without asking for my recommendations and the printer failed to be recognized by his computer. I spend 30 minutes working with him without success including looking for new drivers, complete uninstall including registry removal entries hoping for a clean install.

I was without a solution and the customer asked what the next step would be. I suggested reluctantly calling HP Tech Support. After an endless time on hold we were transferred to a call center agent obviously outsourced (likely India).

The customer was overlooking the entire communication and was completely surprised what was taking place. The agent was following EXACTLY the same steps from start to finish as I had just performed. You could tell that he struggled several times because as usual Tech Support reads off prepared scripts.

The tech was unable to help and the solution was taken care the following day. He bought an Epson and installation was painless.

I do not want to sound prejudicial but I think companies that source outside the country should be taxed making it a financially worthless but that is best saved for another day to discuss.

Good luck with the Attorney General. Years back I was receiving a complete lack of satisfaction from an Autobody shop that kept my car for an extended time with the money already received from the insurance company. Extended as in over 2 months without a car or a rental.

The owner was arrogant and belligerent when I called. Once the Attorney General was contacted and they became part of the disagreement, all of a sudden, I had a rental car and my vehicle was back in less than a week. The Attorney General made the difference. The Auto body owner was now kissing major butt with apologies.

I am sure you will receive some satisfaction and I thank you for registering the complaint. This will save others from your effort.

Edited by EVP, 17 October 2017 - 10:13 PM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#10 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:26 AM

Well, I'm glad you feel the same way.  I actually would like these tech support guys to just walk me through what I need to do, as opposed to tapping into my laptop.  I'm know a great deal about Windows 10, but the fixes I implemented did not work like they said they would on YouTube/Google, so I thought, "Why not call HP?  It's customer service...  I'll give them a chance".

It also sounds like you are quite knowledgeable when it comes to PC's.  Too bad these guys that I talked to only want to say, "Not to worry, my technician and I will take care of the problem".  Then that poses the question there, Mr. Technician...  Do you know what the problem is?  Or are you just after $200 for six months of free fixes?  Lol

I'm also glad that you got somewhere with the Attorney General.  I had something like that happen when a tire shop tried to sell me a tire without any tread on it, whatsoever.  I ended up calling a clerk at City Hall and within a day, I was contacted again by one of the mayor's secretaries.  They said that the tire shop actually sold about 20 bad tires to customers within the last week, and that they were going to shut them down unless they got new stock.  They were just being cheap.
My Signature

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#11 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:54 AM

View PostNightWalkerGStudy, on 18 October 2017 - 02:26 AM, said:

Well, I'm glad you feel the same way.  I actually would like these tech support guys to just walk me through what I need to do, as opposed to tapping into my laptop.  I'm know a great deal about Windows 10, but the fixes I implemented did not work like they said they would on YouTube/Google, so I thought, "Why not call HP?  It's customer service...  I'll give them a chance".

It also sounds like you are quite knowledgeable when it comes to PC's.  Too bad these guys that I talked to only want to say, "Not to worry, my technician and I will take care of the problem".  Then that poses the question there, Mr. Technician...  Do you know what the problem is?  Or are you just after $200 for six months of free fixes?  Lol

I'm also glad that you got somewhere with the Attorney General.  I had something like that happen when a tire shop tried to sell me a tire without any tread on it, whatsoever.  I ended up calling a clerk at City Hall and within a day, I was contacted again by one of the mayor's secretaries.  They said that the tire shop actually sold about 20 bad tires to customers within the last week, and that they were going to shut them down unless they got new stock.  They were just being cheap.

I think it has be an earned trust when it come to remote support. I often fix remotely through a program called TeamViewer but my customers have built a trust level with me. From what you described, they were interested in lifting your money and not fixing your problem.

Maybe I can quickly point you in the right direction. What is the issue you are having exactly?
My Signature
Posted Image

#12 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:50 AM

My HP Windows 10 laptop is boot-looping during forced updates, but these are coming directly from Microsoft.  Some updates work, some are stuck in limbo, and then the computer has to "undo" the changes.  I have AVG, and I keep it up to date.

I also read that some of the recent updates from Microsoft for Windows 10 are not making it past the beta stage, but are being released anyway.  I caught two updates like that and disabled them, but I'm not able to disable the ones that are causing the boot-loops.
My Signature

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#13 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:26 AM

I take it you are running the home version? f you re running pro or higher you can take control of your updates and disable through your "group policy." Let me know what version of windows you are running using the WinKey+Pause/Break combination

Control Panel\System and Security\System

Here's a workaround

https://www.howtogee...oading-updates/

Edited by EVP, 18 October 2017 - 05:32 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#14 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:41 AM

I'm running the home version.  And thanks for the link. I'll have to do it tomorrow night though because I'm working until 8 tonight and gotta be back to work at 7 tomorrow morning.
My Signature

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#15 EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:09 AM

You are welcome, let me know how this works out for you. FWIW- I have 3 Windows 10 machines ranging from a tablet to a pair of PC and I haven't had any issues. Windows 10 other than privacy issues in my opinion is the best MS OS to date, although I don't like how you are forced with updates in many cases. Unfortunately you are not one of the lucky ones.

Don't be too troubled by fully turning off all updates. I have another tech friend who continues running Windows 7 and has never applied an update. I'm not suggesting that there aren't security issues and generally updates close those holes but as long as you are careful and use proper protection, I don't see it that much of a concern.

Edited by EVP, 18 October 2017 - 06:13 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#16 HotSpot24

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostEVP, on 18 October 2017 - 06:09 AM, said:

You are welcome, let me know how this works out for you. FWIW- I have 3 Windows 10 machines ranging from a tablet to a pair of PC and I haven't had any issues. Windows 10 other than privacy issues in my opinion is the best MS OS to date, although I don't like how you are forced with updates in many cases. Unfortunately you are not one of the lucky ones.

Don't be too troubled by fully turning off all updates. I have another tech friend who continues running Windows 7 and has never applied an update. I'm not suggesting that there aren't security issues and generally updates close those holes but as long as you are careful and use proper protection, I don't see it that much of a concern.

Windows 10 is bad. Lol. (Microsoft wasn't even trying)

#17 siguie

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

Yes win10 sucks BUT it is the best WIndows since XP :yes: Srsly I don't know why people use windows :wallbash:

Anywho NightWAlker if you are stuck in boot-loop purgatory AND if you see the circling drain dots {don't bother if you don't see the dots} try holding down the power button to shut the system off and then turn it back on and as soon as you see the drain dots hold the power button down again and repeat ... keep doing this {usually 3 or 4 times} until your system pops up the Repair options. Then go with "Refresh" aka soft reinstall... this is your best bet at fixing the OS without anything else AND keeping your data intact though being microsoft there are are no guarantees :no:

Queue preacher siguie  :th_angel:  ... of course IF you just create/partition off a 50GB disk and make your system dual boot with a Linux flavour like Ubuntu or Linux Mint ...  1) you could do everything you do in Win10 normally just better and faster  2) you could download a win10 iso and create the latest Microsoft fix my carp operating system repair disk/usb.

AND if you play with Linux for a while you wont wanna go back to WIndows :no: problem and countless inevitable future problems solved :yes:

:bunny:
My Signature
- siguie -

#18 earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:02 AM

this is quite scary, you expect that their endorsed number will have trustworthy staff. I'm glad you understood what they were doing before it was too late!
My Signature
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#19 Louczar

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:19 AM

Since US companies started outsourcing their support to other countries, I too have seen first hand the crud they TRY to pull.  The vast majority of them are located in India.
My Signature
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#20 HotSpot24

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:46 AM

View Postsiguie, on 18 October 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Yes win10 sucks BUT it is the best WIndows since XP :yes: Srsly I don't know why people use windows :wallbash:

Yeah, thinking about getting a MAC for all 'this stuff' (And Garageband!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com