#21 biblophile

biblophile

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, books art

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:53 AM

Maybe if the media would stop giving so much attention to these nuts it would stop. I think most are just pranks, I hope I am not wrong.

#22 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

Hopefully, after Halloween is over they'll stop or until someone gets seriously injured or God forbid killed.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#23 Pooky

Pooky

Beware of Pooky

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:I like to go human haunting and that's all you need to know.

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

And they think clowns are scary...
Okay, it's true already, now leave me alone

#24 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostPooky, on 12 October 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

And they think clowns are scary...

There is nothing scarier than clowns, present company excepted, ie. Pooky.  Posted Image

Posted Image

My Shop

#25 kevinscan

kevinscan

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    friends
    horror & sci-fi
    a good mystery
    Star Wars

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:02 PM

Where starting to get the clown craze here in Australia, people dressing as clowns and jumping out scaring them on isolated roads and places.  

It's silly someone will get hurt.
Posted Image

The most sophisticated computer ever  devised by mankind is now called Stonehenge.

#26 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

Loren Coleman has been following the phantom clown thing since about 1980.  I do agree that most of them right now are people who are going to get in trouble but his take on it was really interesting (there are a couple types...  the ones that no one has ever photographed and only children see,  the child predators and the idiots who jump on the bandwagon).
Posted Image

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#27 biblophile

biblophile

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:15 AM

I just read that Ronald Mcdonald is keeping a low profile until the clown craze is over.

#28 Qryche33

Qryche33

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, fishing, watching reality tv.

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

Here in Cincinnati, a woman said she was attacked, but ended up being fake, she was late to work and made it up.
user posted image

#29 biblophile

biblophile

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostQryche33, on 13 October 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

Here in Cincinnati, a woman said she was attacked, but ended up being fake, she was late to work and made it up.
I have never thought to use a creepy clown excuse for being late.

#30 kevinscan

kevinscan

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting
    Family
    photography
    Computers
    Art
    friends
    horror & sci-fi
    a good mystery
    Star Wars

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

We've had a couple of robberies here in OZ  with people dressed as clowns, It's getting worse.

We've even had advice on TV about not letting your kids dress as a clown for Halloween.

Edited by kevinscan, 21 October 2016 - 04:15 PM.

Posted Image

The most sophisticated computer ever  devised by mankind is now called Stonehenge.

#31 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:18 PM

View Postbiblophile, on 21 October 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

I have never thought to use a creepy clown excuse for being late.

Hi, Bib!  Me either.  Didn't work for her.  lol

View Postkevinscan, on 21 October 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

We've had a couple of robberies here in OZ  with people dressed as clowns, It's getting worse.

We've even had advice on TV about not letting your kids dress as a clown for Halloween.

I think that's a good idea right now.
The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#32 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:32 AM

This scare isn't over with.  I think that it is the 7th season of American Horror Story.  Clowns anyone?  Creepy Clowns.
The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#33 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:42 AM

View PostMenet, on 15 September 2017 - 04:32 AM, said:

This scare isn't over with.  I think that it is the 7th season of American Horror Story.  Clowns anyone?  Creepy Clowns.

True and now there's the remake of It, in the theaters. There will probably be more clown attacks.

Posted Image

My Shop

#34 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Wraith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

Lol, I dunno if you guys are aware, but this whole clown thing started around this time of year back in 2013.
Do whatever makes you happy, whatever fruits your loops.

#35 True North

True North

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

Horror and jokers/jesters/clowns have been paired for a long long time. Devilish trickster archetypes go way back.

#36 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

View PostMrsFrootloops, on 15 September 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

Lol, I dunno if you guys are aware, but this whole clown thing started around this time of year back in 2013.

Actually, longer than that here in Massachusetts, all the way back in 1981.

In the Spring of '81, reports sprang up around town(Boston) of children being abducted be a clown, and sometimes by a group of clowns. Though the police and even the press could find no victim or even alleged victim of clown harassment, mad clown fever.

In May of 1981, Daniel OConnell, an investigative counselor for the Boston Public School Board, sent a memo to distreoct school administrators stating; "... it has been brought to the attention of the police department and the district office that adults dressed as clowns have been bothering children to and from school. Please advise all students that they must stay away from strangers, especially ones dressed as clowns." Sounds advice anytime, really...

Another report came up in a few days later around Franklin Park in Roxbury...  Throughout May and into June, police were receiving reports from all over the greater Boston area of people spotting clowns....

In May of '8 in Providence, Rhode Island, children were reporting to social workers that they were being stalked by men as clowns.

Source: Weird Massachusetts

When Pennywise Was Real: The Phantom Clown Scare of 1981

These are the moments that history recorded. What is left out of almost all discussions of weird, terrible, and creepy things that went down in 1981. What you won’t find on Wikipedia or in textbooks is the strange story of the Phantom Clown Scare, even though the repercussions of it could be felt throughout the next twenty years.

Something important to remember is that before the 1980s there wasn’t that much concern about kids being kidnapped. It happened before the 1980s, but for whatever reason it wasn’t something parents were all that concerned about. Then again, if you look back on the life of a child growing up in America before 1984, you’ll see a world filled with rusty monkey bars, metal lunchboxes that could cause serious wounds, and no concept of bicycle safety. This isn’t to say that parents didn’t love their children, they just weren’t so concerned with their kids keeping all their limbs.

This all changed. At the tail end of April, things started happening that parents, principals, and teachers couldn’t ignore. Daniel O’Connell, a counselor for the Boston Public School District, sent out a memo about men dressed as clowns bothering children to all schools. Teachers were told to actually watch kids between taking drags on their cigarettes. Parents were warned to be aware of where their children were going after school.

On May 5th, the local news took an interest in the clowns after police in Brookline were alerted to men dressed as clowns trying to lure kids into a van with candy. The next day, Boston police were called out to Franklin Park and Jamaica Plain when children were harassed by men in clown gear, including one clown who was naked from the waist down.

Over the next few days more calls came in, from East Boston to Cambridge and throughout other cities in the area – every call said the same thing; clowns in a van are trying to get children to go with them. Police start pulling over any car or van with a clown in it, which there were apparently a lot of them in the Boston area in 1981, but all they found were birthday party clowns. By May 9th, police were questioning the veracity of these reports. As they went over the multitudes of accounts, officers realized that no adult ever saw these clowns, only children ages five to seven. At the same time, reports of creepy clowns in Boston slowed down.

Source: Blum House

In 1981, Clowns Allegedly Appeared Across Boston, Similar to Current Clown Panic

On May 6th of that year, police received a report that “one or two men wearing clown outfits” were driving a candy-laden van around near Brookline’s Longwood School. (The van even had a broken headlight, for maximum punchbuggy-style kid attraction.) The next day, a similar report came from the Franklin Park horseshoe-playing grounds—though this man reportedly had only half a clown suit on, as he was naked from the waist down. According to a Boston Globe article entitled “Pupils Warned of Clowns,” the school district’s investigative councilor quickly issued a memo, instructing students to “stay away from strangers, especially ones dressed as clowns.”

At the time, Coleman was heading up a social services office in Charlestown, Massachusetts. He was also corresponding with a number of fellow cryptozoology fans—nearly 400 of them, spread out across the country. He coined the term “phantom clown,” and asked his network to send him any local newspaper clippings that referred to similar incidents. “I started getting copies from Cleveland, from both Kansas Cities,” he says. “I really started tracking that this was a nationwide phenomenon.”

Source: Atlas Obscura

Evil Phantom Clowns

By early May, the sinister clowns had been seen in many Boston neighborhoods and in several neighboring towns. At least one report claimed a clown had been naked from waist down. As we say here in New England, that's wicked creepy.

Curiously the clowns were never seen by adults, only by small children. Unable to locate even one evil clown, the police finally told the public it was just children's fantasy and closed the case.

The clown craze ended in Boston, but did spread in the spring of 1981 to other cities including Providence, both Kansas Cities, Pittsburgh, Omaha, and Denver. In addition to clowns children in these cities also reported sinister men dressed like gorillas, Spiderman, and a bunny. No evil children's party entertainers of any kind were ever found.

What to make of the phantom clowns? Maybe it was just all hysteria and fantasy. When I was in grade school in the 1970s we children were repeatedly warned about getting into cars or vans with strangers. I even remember a special film was shown to students about the dangers of being abducted by roaming perverts. Parents had to sign permission slips for the movie because it was so gruesome. My parents didn't let me see it, but I remember many classmates who did were reduced to tears because it was so horrifying. If you terrify your children enough they'll naturally start seeing things.

The evil clown scare was also a precursor to the daycare sex-abuse hysteria that swept the nation a few years later. In Massachusetts, the staff at Malden's Fells Acre Daycare Center were accused of sexually abusing the children in their care. The children testified in court that an evil clown and a robot were involved in the abuse. Despite these fantastical elements, the three family members who ran Fells Acre were convicted and sent to prison, but eventually were released with reduced sentences. The testimony from the children was just considered too unreliable.

As the public later learned during the Catholic clergy sex scandal, sexual abuse of minors really had been happening in Massachusetts for decades. No clowns, robots or rabbits were involved, just trusted members of the community. The community had been so busy projecting its fears outward that it neglected to look hard at itself.

Source: New England Folklore

The Creepy Mystery of the Phantom Clowns

... Perhaps one of the most mysterious and infamous incidents involving phantom clowns running amok occurred in 1981, when the city of Boston, Massachusetts, was held under siege by the bizarre sudden appearance of what appeared to be a cabal of individuals dressed as clowns harassing small children, a case which was well documented by cryptozoologist Loren Coleman in his book Mysterious America. This horrific, unsettling series of phantom clown appearances started in May of 1981, when Boston police began to receive numerous reports that mysterious men brightly dressed up as clowns were riding around in a dark van, following or driving up to elementary school children and attempting to entice them to follow or go along with them. In some cases the clowns were said to use candy or toys to help lure the children, and in one particularly creepy account one of the clowns in question was said to be dressed as a clown from the waist up and completely nude from the waist down. At around the same time, mysterious clowns were also seen in the nearby city of Brookline, where they were said to drive about in an older model black van with ladders on the sides, a broken tail light, and missing hubcaps, and were most frequently seen in the vicinity of elementary schools. The reports and complaints filed concerning clowns harassing children became so persistent, and provoked so much profound unease in parents that Investigative Counselor Daniel O’Donnell of the Boston Public School District sent an urgent memo to all of the schools in the district saying:

It has been brought to the attention of the police dept. and the district office that adults dressed as clowns have been bothering children to and from school. Please advise all students that they must say away from strangers, especially ones dressed as clowns.

Before long, this flap of clown sightings had spread out to various other surrounding areas, including East Boston, Charlestown, Cambridge, Canton, Randolph, and other cities near Boston. The reports steadily gained momentum until sightings of creepy or “evil” clowns were coming in from all over New England and the Midwest, including as far away as Nebraska and Colorado.

Source: Mysterious Universe

Posted Image

My Shop

#37 True North

True North

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

A late 13th century Clown you've all heard of is 'The Pied Piper' of Hamelin; a colorfully-dressed or patterned (hence pied) performer who, you know - no bad intentions or anything, lured away pretty much every child in town. Now that's a Creepy Clown.

Whatever the original facts of the case may be, it was a real event. Those kids were lost.

Today, most people only know the Piper as a funny-looking minstrel who supposedly marched away the town's rats. Lol, yeah he dealt with the rats alright... the rug rats

#38 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Apparition

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostTrue North, on 17 September 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

... Today, most people only know the Piper as a funny-looking minstrel who supposedly marched away the town's rats. Lol, yeah he dealt with the rats alright... the rug rats

Ba da da dum ching. Posted Image

Edited by MacCionoadha BeanSidhe, 17 September 2017 - 07:23 PM.

Posted Image

My Shop

#39 WhispersInTheAttic

WhispersInTheAttic

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:anime. films. horror movies. music. playing guitar. books and comics. writing. poetry. art. beaches. nature. photography. swimming. hiking in woods. kayaking. video games. stargazing. the paranormal. graveyards. meditations. crystals, minerals and gemstones.

Posted Yesterday, 02:49 PM

During the entire summer my niece was scared to death of clowns and would often stay asleep with the light on because she feared one would try to get into our bedroom. I tend to read lots paranormal things in my spare time so I had to take a break from it at certain parts of the day. Hopefully this will cool down sometime soon and the media won't give them too much attention. The more they keep broadcasting this on TV people will keep wanting to dress up like clowns and try to scare kids. I told my niece that if she ever see's a clown to call for me and that I'll chase them off the property. :happy0194:

Edited by WhispersInTheAttic, Yesterday, 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

#40 MrsFrootloops

MrsFrootloops

Wraith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:Anything artistic, baking, cooking, waffles, comics, games, hamsters, and um, things lol.

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 PM

The best way to get rid of a clown is to sick a mime on them
Do whatever makes you happy, whatever fruits your loops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users