Can You Smell The Dead?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 a7xevermore

a7xevermore

Orb

• False Positive
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, books, writing, reading, ghosts (duh), music, and animals.

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:11 PM

My dog died last year around the end of the school year and he had this... woodsy smell. It's heard to explain.

But i was sitting on my bed reading and when i read or sat on my bed, he would be there with me, that night i could smell him. I may have been imagining it but i'm not sure. I also felt a warm  sensation, like someone had put their hand (or paw) on my leg.  A few seconds later the feeling was gone...

Anyone have a reasonable explanation for this.. cuz i have a feeling i've gone off the deep end...
user posted image

I am waiting till there's nothing left,
i'm a prayr all you see is breath I am empty,
I am skin and bones, I'm a ribcage
I am out the door with sympathy and i'm comming home with apathy

#2 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:26 PM

Spirits absolutely can manifest smells.  There are lots of stories that go "and the stench was awful" or "I smelled roses and perfume" about paranormal experiences.  Your dog probably felt like he wanted to visit and give you a little love and that was the most non-threatening way he could make his presence known.

ArcusArcanum
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#3 Guest_Dark Angel_*

Guest_Dark Angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:33 PM

You haven't gone off the deep end.  smile.gif  Scent is one of the most common ways that ghost/spirits let us know they're around.  Usually it's in the form of something that you would be sure to recognize them by: "their" perfume or cologne, cigarettes, cigars, pipesmoke, work-related scents such as grease, fish, paint, etc.  
You said he died around the end of last school year, and here we are at the end of this school year.  Maybe he was visiting on the anniversary of his death.

#4 fahrenheit

fahrenheit

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality, Paranormal, Antiques, Gardening, Nature, Animals, Mind, Body & Spirit, Hiking, Water, Art...More to be revealed.

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:11 PM

after my gram passed in june... i came home and for a few days i smelled flowers and perfume......it was just a scent that quikly passed by... it didnt linger.. it was like a whiff...
IPB Image

it is better to let your experience guide your beliefs, rather than having your beliefs dictate the boundries of your experience

http://www.myspace.com/pharenheit  

#5 earthlydelites

earthlydelites

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:21 PM

there was a post somewhere on the boards about smelling spirits, familiar smells etc, I'm hopeless with finding old posts, but maybe someone will help us out and post it up smile.gif
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#6 little casper

little casper

EVP

• 89 posts
  • Interests:photography<br />football

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:51 AM

i've also smelt familiar smells (for want of a better word!) of people i've lost. Scared me at first but now kind of reassuring!  smile.gif

#7 MoonLite

MoonLite

Ghostlight

• False Positive
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Psychic Development (particularly mediumship), Tarot and Oracle Reading, Genealogy, History... to name but a few!

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

Agree too that you weren't having a moment of madness. wink.gif  Quite a few times over the last year, I've had my granny come visit leaving the trail of her perfume and a few times I smelt pipe tobacco, so I do believe that she brought grandad too. biggrin.gif

I hope that you were able to find some comfort in knowing that your dog visited you. wub.gif  I find my own "fragranced visits" very comforting. smile.gif  

Posted Image

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant...
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift..."
~ Albert Einstein ~

Posted Image

#8 the_gray_jester

the_gray_jester

Maniacal Metalhead

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Parapsychology, Metal music, Photography, Writing, reading, and investigating.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:43 PM

weve had a few encounters where we could smell the phantome before seeing it. one house went from a musty smell to smelling of roses, then to the coppery smell of blood (we asumed) then back.

mind you sometimes we can smell things just from memory. we might be thinking about someone or something for a while,  maybe an aniversery of a death or something, and we will catch slight whiffs in the air. so the mind can play tricks here too.

but for your dog,  seeing as there is a physical interaction as well,  probably just didnt want to leave you.
my dog just died a week ago, and i wouldent mind him comming back to say hi.  poor guy was 15, but if he did come back. he could have got lostin a paper bag when alive, let alone come back.

Posted Image

#9 RavenWing82

RavenWing82

Anomaly

• False Positive
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:33 PM

There has been a discussion going on "Lets talk about ghosts" under "the odor that "followed" us".  It talks alot about peoples experiences on here with smelling the dead.
IPB Image

"We are not human beings on a spiritual jouney. We are spiritual beings on a human journey."
-Stephen R. Covey

#10 Raskar Kapak

Raskar Kapak

Incubus

• False Positive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:09 AM

Recently I smelt washing powder everytime I came back home. I don't own a washing machine.
This smell was mixed with a "welcome back" feeling.

But I couldn't figure out who was this person. I'm sure the smell was not from the neighbours. And it doesn't happen anymore.

So, i would answer you "Yes, you can smell ghosts when they want you to". smile.gif

#11 a7xevermore

a7xevermore

Orb

• False Positive
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, books, writing, reading, ghosts (duh), music, and animals.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

smile.gif Thanks for all the reasurance.

We just got a new dog yesterday. She's an English Springer Spaniel and she's 8 1/2 weeks old. I love her to death but i keep on sensing Gunther.

It used to be creepy, but now it's just reasuring to know that he still cares. And that he doesn't mind the fact that we got a new dog.

user posted image

I am waiting till there's nothing left,
i'm a prayr all you see is breath I am empty,
I am skin and bones, I'm a ribcage
I am out the door with sympathy and i'm comming home with apathy

#12 I Cut My Wings

I Cut My Wings

Goblin

• False Positive
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I'm from France but live on an american military base in Germany.<br />I'm a student in psychology/criminology and special forces.<br />I have a variety of interests that goes from Arts ( acting, singing, drawing ) to paranormal things such as ghosts and others unexplained subjects.<br />I have myself plenty of stories that went through my family until today which is the principal reason why I strongly belive in ghost, spirits and others &quot;unseen&quot; things.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:13 PM

yea in my house back in france I could smell  tabac ! very strong smell !! An no one ever smoke tabac in my house...( and nothing else ! pinch.gif  blink.gif  )
I always thought it was my great grand ma  who smoked the pipe that was around !
IPB Image

SOFTLY as brown-eyed Angels rove
I will return to thy alcove,
And glide upon the night to thee,
Treading the shadows silently.

And I will give to thee, my own,
Kisses as icy as the moon,
And the caresses of a snake
Cold gliding in the thorny brake.

And when returns the livid morn
Thou shalt find all my place forlorn
And chilly, till the falling night.

Others would rule by tenderness
Over thy life and youthfulness,
But I would conquer thee by fright!

The Ghost--Charle Baudelaire

#13 Guest_Dark Angel_*

Guest_Dark Angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:14 AM

It used to be creepy, but now it's just reasuring to know that he still cares. And that he doesn't mind the fact that we got a new dog.

Our loved ones (animal and human) completely understand that "life goes on" when we cross over.  There is no jealousy or hard feelings that spirits feel...they are free from those kinds of physical emotional ties.  
This applies also to people who lose spouses, and then remarry.  The spouse who crossed over, and is a spirit, will understand the reality of the situation.  Eventually, when the second spouse crosses over, they and the first spouse will be friends just because they were both with the same person in life.  Spirits care about our happiness, and are happy when we're happy.
Ghosts, on the other hand, have not learned to let go of the physical world, and so they can cling to feelings of jealousy, anger, etc.  When you hear stories of the dead wife coming back to haunt the husband and his new wife, you can rest assured, that is a ghost doing that.  Spirits are happy for us because they have let go of the physical world and all it's aspects...ghosts have not.  
Gunther knows that you're sad over his loss, and also knows that you're happy with your new puppy (Springers are SO cute!).  When you sense Gunther, let him know it...talk to him.  Even a simple, "Hi, Gunther, how are you?" will let him know that he's still a welcome part of the family...you wouldn't ignore him if he were still alive, and so there's no reason to do so now.  He'll be wagging his tail with appreciation.   smile.gif
Also, pay attention to your puppy as she grows, especially if you keep sensing Gunther around.  If she ever acts funny, like maybe she's playing with something that you can't see, snap some pics.  You never know, Gunther may just show up.  smile.gif

#14 Nitelite

Nitelite

Ectoplasm

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

Definitely!  A lot of times, especially with family members, I can identify who they are strictly by scent... one grandmother smells like vanilla - the other smells like lavendar!  My son smells like JOOP!  My mom's little poodle passed last year and she was really old and had that old "dog" smell.  We still catch a whiff every now and then and it's like, Oh - Heidi's here!   biggrin.gif  It is very comforting to me and I hope it will be for you too!  Like DA said I think your dog loved you very much and this is his way of letting you know he is around...  smile.gif
user posted image

#15 laurenm1725

laurenm1725

EVP

• False Positive
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

yeah hey don't worry about it hes probably just visiting..I smell my great grandma's perfume all the time. My mom says when i was first born she smelled this really strong perfume it could've been my other great grandma.
Limitless undying love which
shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on across the universe

#16 Guest_OffDutyCopGStudy_*

Guest_OffDutyCopGStudy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:51 AM

I've spoken in a previous thread about a Dispatcher who used to work for my Police Department who passed away from a Heart Condition.

Since she died, officers and dispatchers have smelled her perfume around the dispatch center during times of high stress, such as an officer in danger.

As others have stated, various smells are quite common symptoms of a spiritual visitation or haunting.

Edited by Off Duty Cop, 04 August 2005 - 05:51 AM.

#17 DarchAngelGabriel

DarchAngelGabriel

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Martial arts,pictures,drawing,reading and AMATEUR ghost hunting,wicca,pagan,mythologies and just being an all around happy mommy.If you want to know more,just feel free to ask me!!

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

OMG..talking about smelling ghosts and the dead..it was a few weeks after my husband and my wedding and we were in our room...ok well,we wanted a baby...that was the most embarassing thing to happen to me becasue I smelled my grandfather's hairspray,and I have no hairspray in the house what so ever,and then I felt him walk into the room..my grandfather has been gone for over 5 years now and my husband and I have been married only 3..so yes..you can most definatly smell them and apparently they don't care about the privacy issue anymore after they are gone from this plane of existence blush.gif
Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly...well Hunny..I'm higher than a kite!!

#18 EvilAlienChickens

EvilAlienChickens

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 06:10 PM

thats great that your dog still comes by to vist you, my dog still does and it feels reasuring to biggrin.gif  smile.gif

#19 Sensitive_To_Things

Sensitive_To_Things

Ghoul

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:music<br />occult<br />supernatural<br />writting poetry<br />being myself

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:19 PM

I know I smell them occassionally sometimes i get cigar smoke , mold kinda dont ask me why and once in a while coffee o_0
"...If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn. People die. But real love lives forever."-The crow

#20 SweetSue

SweetSue

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE(Dark Angel @ Jul 5 2005, 05:33 PM)
You haven't gone off the deep end.  smile.gif  Scent is one of the most common ways that ghost/spirits let us know they're around.  Usually it's in the form of something that you would be sure to recognize them by: "their" perfume or cologne, cigarettes, cigars, pipesmoke, work-related scents such as grease, fish, paint, etc. 
You said he died around the end of last school year, and here we are at the end of this school year.  Maybe he was visiting on the anniversary of his death.

View Post

I completely agree with Dark Angel. I have a childhood friend whose grandfather passed away when she was very young. We often talked throughout school about how when she would get depressed she would smell peppermint and pipe tobacco, which is what he always smelled of.

The only thing that confuses me is that I have actually heard people say, while on a ghost hunt, that they can smell the haunting. Now, that I find more difficult to believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users