#1 Rhizanthella

Rhizanthella

Ghoul

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

Hello all,
I have been wondering how reliable touch lamps are in demonstrating paranormal activity.
In the last house I lived in, the touch lamp in my room would go on and off by itself quite often.  Sometimes it would cycle through the light levels and others it would just turn on and stay on one level.  So the lamp was always unplugged when not in use (and never came on of course!)
I always put this down to the lamp being too sensitive to electrical currents etc and didn't take it to mean anything else.  There was very little other activity in the house.
Would this be a valid opinion?
Thanx guys.  smile.gif

#2 earthlydelites

earthlydelites

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

I agree about the touch lamps being sensitive to electrical currents and stuff, because mine used to do it all the time (especially when I was sleeping! hahaha) so I think it has to do more with electrical things rather than paranormal things biggrin.gif
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#3 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:36 PM

I myself would not use them. I have one that the smallest of bug can actually set it off.

#4 ZeroHaven

ZeroHaven

Ghoul

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Keeping it real, verifying, debunking, witnessing, experience, knowledge

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

Mine did crazy stuff til it broke itself sad.gif

#5 Rhizanthella

Rhizanthella

Ghoul

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(ZeroHaven @ Jul 25 2005, 05:30 AM)
Mine did crazy stuff til it broke itself sad.gif

View Post

Hehe, crazy suicidal lamp.

Thanks for the input - I thought they were pretty unreliable, good to see some other opinions and it is not just me they go crazy for!

#6 Eventide Rogue

Eventide Rogue

Banshee

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, getting outside as much as I can with my family, competition shooting, getting my jeep as dirty as mother nature will let me, the list goes on and on...

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:11 AM

do an experiment.  put on thick wool socks and shuffle around your carpet long enough to build up a nice static charge then stand nearer and nearer to your lamp to see if you can set it off by your EMF.  of course, you might want to have someone handy with a wooden broomstick or a jacket of non-conductive cloth to rip your arcing body away from the lamp, should things go south... wink.gif
Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
     I'm feeling very still
     And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
     Tell my wife I love her very much she knows"

Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?

#7 earthlydelites

earthlydelites

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:31 AM

ok, I dont' think I'll be trying that! tongue.gif
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#8 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:40 AM

sounds like a good idea actualy

#9 Safire973GStudy

Safire973GStudy

Pooky's Guardian/Board Tech

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:06 AM

I would think there's at least a possibility that it could be something paranormal.We hear all the times about ghosts turning on light switches or opening and closing doors.If something is trying to initially make contact, a touch lamp would certainly require minimal force.
However, plenty of non-paranormal things could be the cause as well.My mother has one of these, and if a large truck goes down the road, or a rather loud rumble of thunder causes vibrations in the house, it will turn on and off.

I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

Posted Image

Torn by the storms in my head
Like a victim of fate
Born to regret
Still denied by the spirits of hell
A call to repent
Til the visions still stand in silence

#10 Hunter

Hunter

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Interests:Model Trains, Paranormal research, SCA (SCA.ORG), My family, movies, life in general.

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:35 AM

I use to think that one of my touch lamps was haunted until I found out that it was one of my cats. He likes to amuse himself by turning it on and off with his nose. It is so funny to watch him doing it.

I have also found out that it is very sensitive to electrical storms and power surges. During such occurrences it will turn it's self on and off. Real bothersome at 2am.  

Hanging around GS since the late 90's
What is normal and what is real and who are we to decide?

#11 Guest_blkhmster_*

Guest_blkhmster_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:21 AM

we had one in our bedroom that would change settings, go through the setting cycle and/or turn on and off whenever a train would go by or even sometimes when the jets would fly over (we live next to an AFB and are in the flight path..ok UNDER the flight path, obviously)

#12 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:31 PM

my father has one that is always acting up

#13 kohala

kohala

Ectoplasm

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:08 AM

I used to have one that would come on when nobody was near it too - it would also come on sometimes when I would just walk past it, and on more than one occasion I would wake up in the middle of the night and it would have turned on.

I threw it away after watching a scary movie - can't remember which one though The Ring maybe..

#14 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Rhizanthella @ Jul 23 2005, 10:40 PM)
Hello all,
I have been wondering how reliable touch lamps are in demonstrating paranormal activity.
In the last house I lived in, the touch lamp in my room would go on and off by itself quite often.  Sometimes it would cycle through the light levels and others it would just turn on and stay on one level.  So the lamp was always unplugged when not in use (and never came on of course!)
I always put this down to the lamp being too sensitive to electrical currents etc and didn't take it to mean anything else.  There was very little other activity in the house.
Thanx guys.  smile.gif

View Post

Probably "not very reliable" mine got triggered by: the cat, power surges, static electricity.... air conditioner blowing on it.... I eventually switched off the "touch" function it was lighting up any old time...even when no human was home.

If it still turns on, with the touch function switched off...then you might have something. biggrin.gif

Edited by trin, 01 August 2005 - 03:54 PM.

#15 Bigdeezy75deezy

Bigdeezy75deezy

Account closed for rudeness

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(Rhizanthella @ Jul 23 2005, 11:40 PM)
Hello all,
In the last house I lived in, the touch lamp in my room would go on and off by itself quite often.  Sometimes it would cycle through the light levels and others it would just turn on and stay on one level.  So the lamp was always unplugged when not in use (and never came on of course!)
I always put this down to the lamp being too sensitive to electrical currents etc and didn't take it to mean anything else.  There was very little other activity in the house.
Thanx guys.  smile.gif

View Post

um very powerful ham radio signals can do that  because it did that to my touch lamp when he ever got on it

#16 BirdsMom

BirdsMom

Banshee

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:33 AM

Glad to hear our cat isn't the only one out there messing with the lamps.  For years she would turn the one in our bedroom on for us just as soon as it got dark.  She might have just been scared of the dark but it seemed to happen when she wanted to help out my husband.  Now she does this if we have forgotten to give her her bedtime treats.  She turns the light on, bright then hangs her head over the edge of the bed and waits for someone to notice.  Hey a deal is a deal and she keeps us honest.  Yes she is bossy and acts just like a cat.  Her name is psycho if that tells you why we do give her what she wants.  lol  
As for the lamp they are way to unreliable to even give it a second thought.  Ok maybe a ghost cat isn't out of the question???????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users