Miss Chainsaw

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 14 posts
  • Location:second star to the right and strait on till morning
  • Interests:×Paintin'<br />×Writin'<br />×Lovin'

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:15 PM

tonight,
2 owls flew low about 10 ft overhead of me.
if i'm not mistaken, i remember reading a chapter in a book
about owls seen out of habitat, usually signifies a bad omen.
i cant be for sure though, need someone to help refresh my memory.
and maybe a few other animals that might be various fortune mediating omens...

#2 Guest_Dark Angel_*

Guest_Dark Angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:15 PM

Was this during the daylight or evening?  Owls are usually symbolic of wisdom, and making the right choices.  Have you had an issue recently where you've had to make an important decision?

#3 Guest_Dark Angel_*

Guest_Dark Angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:18 PM

I got this from a friend a long time ago...I thought it might be helpful.  smile.gif

The 7 Sacred Laws

To feel true love is to know the Creator. Therefore, it is expected that one's first love is to be the Great Spirit. He is considered the father of all children, and the giver of human life. Love given to the Great Spirit is expressed through love of oneself, and it is understood that if one cannot love oneself, it is impossible to love anyone else.

The Eagle was chosen by the Great Spirit to represent this law, as the Eagle can reach the highest out of all the creatures in bringing pure vision to the seeker. Though the purveyor of the greatest and most powerful medicine, love can also be the most elusive of the teachings, as it depends upon a world that acknowledges the importance of spirituality.

RESPECT - BUFFALO

The Buffalo, through giving it's life and sharing every part of it's being, showed the deep respect it had for the people. No animal was more important to the existence of Indigenous families than this animal, and it's gift provided shelter, clothing and utensils for daily living. Native people believed themselves to be true caretakers of the great herds, and developed a sustainable relationship with the Buffalo resulting in a relationship that was a true expression of respect..

COURAGE - BEAR

The Bear provides many lessons in the way it lives, but courage is the most important teaching it offers. Though gentle by nature, the ferociousness of a mother Bear when one of her cubs is approached is the true definition of courage. To have the mental and moral strength to overcome fears that prevent us from living our true spirit as human beings is a great challenge that must be met with the same vigour and intensity as a mother Bear protecting her cub. Living of the heart and living of the spirit is difficult, but the Bear's example shows us how to face any danger to achieve these goals.

HONESTY - SABE

Long ago, there was a giant called Kitch-Sabe. Kitch-sabe walked among the people to remind them to be honest to the laws of the creator and honest to each other. The highest honour that could be bestowed upon an individual was the saying "There walks an honest man. He can be trusted." To be truly honest was to keep the promises one made to the Creator, to others and to oneself. The Elders would say, "Never try to be someone else; live true to your spirit, be honest to yourself and accept who you are the way the Creator made you."

WISDOM - BEAVER

The building of a community is entirely dependent on gifts given to each member by the creator and how these gifts are used. The Beaver's example of using his sharp teeth for cutting trees and branches to build his dams and lodges expresses this teaching. If he did not use his teeth, the teeth would continue to grow until they became useless, ultimately making it impossible for him to sustain himself. The same can be said for human beings. One's spirit will grow weak if it is not fulfilling its use. When used properly however, these gifts contribute to the development of a peaceful and healthy community.

HUMILITY - WOLF

Recognizing and acknowledging that there is a higher power than man and it is known as the Creator is to be deemed truly humble. To express deference or submission to the Creator through the acceptance that all beings are equal is to capture the spirit of humility. The expression of this humility is manifested through the consideration of others before ourselves. In this way, the Wolf became the teacher of this lesson. He bows his head in the presence of others out of deference, and once hunted, will not take of the food until it can be shared with the pack. His lack of arrogance and respect for his community is a hard lesson, but integral in the Aboriginal way.

TRUTH - TURTLE

To know truth is to know and understand all of the original laws as given by the Creator- and to remain faithful to them. It is said that in the beginning, when the Creator made man and gave him the seven sacred laws, the Grandmother Turtle was present to ensure that the laws would never be lost or forgotten. On the back of a Turtle are the 13 moon, each representing the truth of one cycle of the Earth's rotations around the sun. The 28 markings on her back represent the cycle of the moon an of a woman's body. The shell of the Turtle represents the body real events as created by the Higher Power, and serves as a reminder of the Creator's will and teachings.

#4 Miss Chainsaw

Miss Chainsaw

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:26 PM

it was dark,
their screeches sounded like screams,
that generated, a "crawling outta your skin" sensation.
thanks for the other inquiries      happy.gif

#5 GypsyPsychic

GypsyPsychic

Ectoplasm

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, cryptozoology, psychic, Paganism, tarot, palm reading, auras, body art, all things Australian, martial arts, music, movies, and animals. Yes, the eye in my avatar is mine, the signature photo is me.

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:18 AM

If I see an animal out of its element, I don't see it as a dark omen- I believe its a gift from the animals.  I live in, literally, the southern-most town in Wisconsin.  We don't have any special or exotic animals here.  About eight months ago, I saw a bald eagle.  They rarely come this far south.  But, I was crossing this huge bridge in town, (its a really high bridge- kind of odd for this town, the other two bridges aren't that high), and the eagle swooped down and floated past me.  Kind of like it was making sure I saw it.  

Like DA said, they represent wisdom.  They're also a clairvoyant symbol as well. (they are the night equivalent to a red-tail hawk)

"...in a sunburnt country..." ~Dorthea MacKellar

#6 MoonLite

MoonLite

Ghostlight

• False Positive
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Psychic Development (particularly mediumship), Tarot and Oracle Reading, Genealogy, History... to name but a few!

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:54 AM

I'm also very interested in learning about animals and their divinatory meanings, when we see them. smile.gif  There are some cultures that do see the owl as a bad omen, but most regard owl medicine as "death" in the sense of change, i.e. leaving old ways/past issues behind - thus, anything that doesn't serve a positive purpose in our life.  

I most definitely agree with DA and Gypsy though, that owls represent wisdom - we often see the owl portrayed in cartoons and books as "Wise Old Owl"... makes me think of the disney film "Bambi". biggrin.gif  Certainly they are often the totems of those with clairvoyant and clairaudient abilities because of their amazing night vision and hearing abilities.

It's quite interesting to compare beliefs across various cultures, as their are similarities.  Here are a few sites that I've bookmarked regarding this topic:

Animal Totems

Lakota: Power Animals

Shamanism: Working with Animal Spirits

Druid Animal Totems - This site is based on "The Druid Animal Oracle Deck".

Posted Image

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant...
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift..."
~ Albert Einstein ~

Posted Image

#7 GypsyPsychic

GypsyPsychic

Ectoplasm

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, cryptozoology, psychic, Paganism, tarot, palm reading, auras, body art, all things Australian, martial arts, music, movies, and animals. Yes, the eye in my avatar is mine, the signature photo is me.

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:35 AM

I have several books, but I keep "Animal-Speak" by Ted Andrews on my desk.  I also have "Totems" by Brad Steiger nearby.  (I'm not getting up to see the others, they're on a shelf in the next room) wink.gif

Cool links- I have that first one in my favorites already.  smile.gif

"...in a sunburnt country..." ~Dorthea MacKellar

#8 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:35 AM

What a wonderful experience!   I absolutely love owls.  The owl is my totem animal.  

Owls represent wisdom and knowledge and are also known as night eagles.  They may also represent being clairvoyant as they have clear eye sight and can see extremely well at night as well as hear.

Do you know what size they were?  They will usually travel in pairs, the female actually is always larger than the male.  Because their bones are hollow even the Great Horned Owls may only weigh about 5-6 pounds.

I had a family of Barred Owls where I used to live.  I was fascinated with them and would sit outside to listen to them.  They have an unusual call which sounds like.............who cooks for you, who cooks for you all.

November and December will be the time when they are out looking for a mate.  If I am not mistaken the young are usually born in winter around February.  

Don't be alarmed if owls are around you.  I would consider it an honor and a blessing.

Some cultures think that owls represent death and if one comes around you that it signifies that someone close to you will die, but this is just a myth.

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#9 Miss Chainsaw

Miss Chainsaw

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:18 AM

they were rather large
a beige hew to their feathers...
at least in the street lights it appeared so.
yeah, most likely it is mating season,
but i couldn't really catch the difference in sizes.

#10 Lady Akasha

Lady Akasha

Earthbound Spirit

• False Positive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal and mythical and my children. I would have no life if i didnt have them.

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:37 AM

i dunno why but owls just really creep me out...I remember being young and traveling with my aunt and it was dark and we were headed down a highway when an owl flew twards the car and its wing span was longer than our windshield it scared the poopy out of me.

And my aunt hit an owl to see it turn into a little boy in the middle of the road that vanished once too lol.
IPB Image
Trouble Maker #7

"Yeah, obviously we use vampires as a metaphor for something else, something deeper than just the supernatural. But there's just something about the bloodsucking walking dead, that can say so much to people. There are really so many people trying to get control over you on a daily basis and steal your soul in some way, take a part of you..." Gerard Way. MCR

Beware the soul catcher
Who comes in a flash of light.
Trust not a word.
Meet not his eye.
Lest he catch your soul,
Trapping it for all eternity
In his little black box.

--Anonymous

#11 MoonLite

MoonLite

Ghostlight

• False Positive
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Psychic Development (particularly mediumship), Tarot and Oracle Reading, Genealogy, History... to name but a few!

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE(GypsyPsychic @ Nov 11 2005, 12:35 PM)
I have several books, but I keep "Animal-Speak" by Ted Andrews on my desk.  I also have "Totems" by Brad Steiger nearby.  (I'm not getting up to see the others, they're on a shelf in the next room) wink.gif

Cool links- I have that first one in my favorites already.  smile.gif

View Post

Aw, Gypsy... I've heard that Ted Andrew's "Animal-Speak" is quite a good book.  I have a feeling that I accidentally came across the Brad Steiger book "Totems" in the metaphysical section of a bookshop a couple of weeks ago.  It was so funny, as out of the whole bookshelf, it was almost like it jumped out at me. biggrin.gif   Not literally of course... but one of those moments when you think... ok, so what made me suddenly look there!  happy.gif    Perhaps I'll have to go back and have another look... no doubt a few more to add to my ever growing wish-list.  pinch.gif  whistling.gif  

The only book that I have so far came with my Medicine Cards and was written by Jamie Sams and David Carson.  Going to have to sit down and play, because I've only started reading the book so far.  While the pictures themselves are pretty basic, I've seen others read with this deck and it seems very informative for personal guidance.  So I have no doubts that if we pay attention to the animals that we see around us, they can be quite significant in helping us to understand issues in our lives that we need to address. smile.gif

QUOTE(Lady Akasha @ Nov 11 2005, 03:37 PM)
i dunno why but owls just really creep me out...I remember being young and traveling with my aunt and it was dark and we were headed down a highway when an owl flew twards the car and its wing span was longer than our windshield it scared the poopy out of me.
And my aunt hit an owl to see it turn into a little boy in the middle of the road that vanished once too lol.

View Post

Lady Akasha... oh my goodness! blink.gif  Well, I love owls and for as long as I can remember, they have always been one of my favourite birds.  Although if I suddenly had one that changed into a little boy spirit, then I might be having second thoughts there! ermm.gif  Interesting though and perhaps one way to make someone pay attention... did your Aunt ever work out what that was all about?
Posted Image

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant...
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift..."
~ Albert Einstein ~

Posted Image

#12 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:10 AM

What people think of as "out of habitat" may just be a lucky sighting.  I grew up in a semi-rural wooded area and would see wildlife all the time. (and the things I picked up and brought home to show mom... good thing my mom is cool with stuff like that. )

I've seen, in and near downtown MILWAUKEE, deer (crossing the FREEWAY), raccoons, possoms, in addition to the usual squirrels and birds.  We're also pretty excited having peregrine falcons living and hunting in the downtown.
     For raptors like falcons and owls, the city brings them good hunting, pidgeons, mice and rats etc.  Owls often come out at or just before, or just after dusk and the couple you saw were probably a mated pair.  You had a very special lucky sighting! Most raptors mate for life, so maybe that's a good sign for one's love-life?

#13 Lady Akasha

Lady Akasha

Earthbound Spirit

• False Positive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal and mythical and my children. I would have no life if i didnt have them.

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:56 AM

no she didnt tell me anything else just that she went back and looked and didnt find anything but a feather.
IPB Image
Trouble Maker #7

"Yeah, obviously we use vampires as a metaphor for something else, something deeper than just the supernatural. But there's just something about the bloodsucking walking dead, that can say so much to people. There are really so many people trying to get control over you on a daily basis and steal your soul in some way, take a part of you..." Gerard Way. MCR

Beware the soul catcher
Who comes in a flash of light.
Trust not a word.
Meet not his eye.
Lest he catch your soul,
Trapping it for all eternity
In his little black box.

--Anonymous

#14 Turtles

Turtles

Incubus

• False Positive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:My 3 kids, The Paranormal, Turtles!, Stephen King, True Crime

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(Dark Angel @ Nov 11 2005, 03:18 AM)
TRUTH - TURTLE

To know truth is to know and understand all of the original laws as given by the Creator- and to remain faithful to them. It is said that in the beginning, when the Creator made man and gave him the seven sacred laws, the Grandmother Turtle was present to ensure that the laws would never be lost or forgotten. On the back of a Turtle are the 13 moon, each representing the truth of one cycle of the Earth's rotations around the sun. The 28 markings on her back represent the cycle of the moon an of a woman's body. The shell of the Turtle represents the body real events as created by the Higher Power, and serves as a reminder of the Creator's will and teachings.

View Post

Awww, I love this! I'm such a turtle lover. The only animal omen I know of is the black dog that means someone will die. My grandmother was very young (7 or 8) when her father died from diabetes. She swears that when her mother took her to see her father in the hospital, there was a little black dog standing in front of the hospital doors. He ran off and they forgot about him, but her father died that night and she was convinced that the dog was a sign.
Turtles

#15 Miss Chainsaw

Miss Chainsaw

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:44 AM

found a cat inside a box in the back of my dad's truck once
when i was about 6...
kinda outta the norm
worse animal id ever owned, violently wise...
i love kee-tins    wub.gif

is a large black "possibly" supernatural dog sighted,
called a grim?
or is that just a harry potter thing?

#16 Gizmo

Gizmo

Gremlin

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(GypsyPsychic @ Nov 11 2005, 12:18 AM)
If I see an animal out of its element, I don't see it as a dark omen- I believe its a gift from the animals.  I live in, literally, the southern-most town in Wisconsin.  We don't have any special or exotic animals here.  About eight months ago, I saw a bald eagle.  They rarely come this far south.  But, I was crossing this huge bridge in town, (its a really high bridge- kind of odd for this town, the other two bridges aren't that high), and the eagle swooped down and floated past me.  Kind of like it was making sure I saw it. 

Like DA said, they represent wisdom.  They're also a clairvoyant symbol as well. (they are the night equivalent to a red-tail hawk)

View Post

I live in Arkansas; just a few months ago I was driving somewhere and saw a bald eagle perched on top of a dead tree right by the edge of the highway.  It was still sitting there when we drove back through that area just an hour or so later.    I can't remember where I'd seen another one, but that's not the first instance I've seen one outside of captivity (like the zoo or wildlife museum).

#17 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(Lady Akasha @ Nov 11 2005, 10:56 AM)
no she didnt tell me anything else just that she went back and looked and didnt find anything but a feather.

View Post

She should definitely keep the feather. It'll be a good charm for her.
Maybe owl is supposed to be her guardian spirit? (I'll see my friend soon and ask. His totem is Owl, he even sometimes, looks like an owl.)

#18 AnimalSoul89

AnimalSoul89

Banshee

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(Miss Chainsaw @ Nov 11 2005, 01:15 AM)
tonight,
2 owls flew low about 10 ft overhead of me.
if i'm not mistaken, i remember reading a chapter in a book
about owls seen out of habitat, usually signifies a bad omen.
i cant be for sure though, need someone to help refresh my memory.
and maybe a few other animals that might be various fortune mediating omens...

View Post

Not to be the one person with bad things about owls, but one of the Native American legends about owls is that when you see/hear and owl, someone close to you has died.  Also, when the owl "calls" your name, it means you'll be the next one to die.  Most tribes thought of owls as bad luck omens. (This coming from the girl with an owl as her spirit guide. dry.gif  pinch.gif )  Hopefully I didn't just ruin anyone's day. blush.gif
user posted image
Don't Even Think About It, Buster.

#19 FeelingYouThere

FeelingYouThere

Orb

• False Positive
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:50 PM

I was driving to work one night.  I worked the night shift 12-7am at a factory so it was about 11:00 pm and I was going down an old highway, really old.  Almost too small for two cars to pass at the same time.  Anyway As I was driving fastly like usual,  devil.gif  I saw something in my lane ahead of me.  At first I thought that it was a white bag like from McDonalds or something, but I slowed down and had to come to a complete stop when I realized that it was an owl in the middle of my lane.  It's back was facing me and it dthat creepy thing that owls do and turned its head all the way around and looked me straight in the eyes.  blink.gif  Well I was amazed by the beauty of it! After about a minute or two it gently spread its wing and took off to the air.  I drove to work and told my then boyfriend about it.  He told me it probably had a field mouse that it was eating.   sad.gif Well the next day I went to a bookstore and found a book on animal omens.  What I read was that seeing an owl ment that your life was about to take on a new chapter.  I checked out the only thing that I could think of that would change my life.  I went and got a preg. test that afternoon and it was postive.  I had been regular and was already 4 months  cwy.gif along at that time.  I had been experiencing placental bleeding (I think) Considering that I was smoking and not taking care of my body the way I should have, I think that the owl was to let me know that I had someone else to take care of now, since my body wasn't going to tell me.

#20 Guest_LadyOfTheNight_*

Guest_LadyOfTheNight_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:03 AM

Does this mean anything?

A few weeks ago my daughter and I were leaving my parents house in the country.  We were going maybe 20 MPH, as it was a country road where the folks drive like mad.  Anyway, from the corner of my eye I see this white "thing" right by my car window.  When I turned to look, it was a white looking owl with it's wings outstretched like it was slowing itself down to keep from flying in our car, level with my car window, maybe 6 feet from me.  It spooked me a bit since that's something you don't see every day, but never thought an experience like that might have deeper meaning.  Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users