24 replies to this topic

#1 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:08 AM

Years ago we had, (probably still have somewhere) a couple of old paperback books about unexplained and mysterious happenings.  I don't know the titles or authors as the covers and title pages were missing.  Whenever I come across the books I'll try to identify them online through tables of contents.

Anyhow, one of them had a chapter on "The Forest of Disappearing Children."   ermm.gif

I thought this subject would be of enough interest that someone might have a web page on it, but all I can find is that it was in California (which I already remembered--but there are a LOT of forests in California and I can't find ANYthing online telling which ONE!) and was the subject of a few chapters in books and magazine articles.

All I remember is that the disappearances were strange and sudden--one was of an eight-year-old boy running ahead of his family on a hike.  He was out of their sight for seconds, when they came to where he should have been in sight he was gone and was NEVER SEEN AGAIN.   unsure.gif

Enough similar occurrences took place in this same area in the late '50s-early '60s that it became known as "The Forest of Disappearing Children."  I'd like to know how many cases there were, whether there have been similar incidents in the same area since that time, and whether any explanation or cause was ever found.  Californians, especially, interested in mysterious events should be able to shed light on this.  Thanks.

#2 Turtles

Turtles

Incubus

• False Positive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:My 3 kids, The Paranormal, Turtles!, Stephen King, True Crime

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:40 AM

Here's a link to your book... www.amazon.com/gp/product/1882046021/103-7361299-5439033?v=glance&n=283155 [/url]  

That's the only thing I could find on google. I heard a similar story a couple years back about a boy disapperaing without a sound, just a few feet from his family. When they found his skeleton 2 years later, it appeared that a mountain lion had snatched him.
Turtles

#3 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, I found two books on Google, both of which I'm pretty sure weren't the one.  It wasn't the one concentrating on California, because these stories were all over the place, and it wasn't "Vanishings" either, because these weren't only vanishings.  This was an earlier book about a number of strange unexplained happenings.  Probably I'll come across it one of these days.  I'm not dealing with books until I deal with shelves  dry.gif .  I just wondered if anything came of it.  Did they solve the disappearances, get rid of the cause, and make the forest safe?  Did children stop disappearing because parents just stopped taking kids there (ruddy unlikely even in a place with warning signs "No Children Under 12 Permitted.")  Or was there some natural cause, such as an extremely stealthy mountain lion, which would die out after a few years (in that case, were remains ever found--as they were in the case of the supposed dingo-snatched baby in Australia?)  There must be a lot of Californians interested in weird phenomena here!  At least someone who could look in the book and name the location?

#4 Guest_Dark Angel_*

Guest_Dark Angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:41 PM

I live in California, and I've never heard of the Forest of Disappearing Children.  I've heard of people being just ahead of others, going around a bend and disappearing, but not in one particular place.  
We do have mountain lions all over the state, and whenever you go into state parks here you're not supposed to let your children run ahead of you on the trails.  The parks post signs and rangers will warn people about that, because a mountain lion can hide in bushes, and when a child runs by, the lion will simply run across the road to the bushes on the other side, and snatch the child on the way.

Now this topic is going to bug me and I'll need to find out about this... laugh.gif

#5 ShadowsOfRaven

ShadowsOfRaven

Ghostlight

• False Positive
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Interests:Grindcore. Fashion. Love. The Paranormal. Bad horror movies. Zombies. Myspace. Gemma Ward. Green Tea. Superficial scene kids.

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

Actually, now that you mention it...
I had a book a couple of years ago that was leant to me by a friend all about "vanishings" and things of the sort- but agh, only if I had it now. It may be among my belongings in AUSTRALIA, but not where I'm currently living. sad.gif
It had something about a forest in california that was described very similarly to the way you described it.
If only I had the book. sad.gif

Haha, yes, DA it does sound interesting.  smile.gif I really want that book, lmao.

<3

#6 RavenHeart

RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, Spiritual, and Supernatural, . Love Music, Camping, Horseback Riding, Cinema, Photography, Art, Native American Story-Telling. Kundalini Reiki, Holographic Quantum Physics etc.

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

I don't live in California and have never even visited, however I do know that mountain lions/cougars/pumas go for the throat when they kill with the intent of crushing the neck, if they are unsuccesful they will run away.

On a different note; There is an old belief that when children are abused their spirits (or fragments of their spirit) can become trapped in a dark forest until they have done soul-retrieval through magick ritual or mental "exorcism" through Psychology. I learned this from experience and from some other source that remains a mystery to me. Still, I believe the basic premise is the same...children dissapearing in a dark forest...if this is true, then the forest would likely be on a different spiritual dimension........Food for thought.

Ravenheart

#7 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:28 AM

My sentiments exactly!  "If I only had the book."  I KNOW it told dates, locations, names of victims...all that useful stuff.  And, yes, I did hear of a three-year-old boy disappearing on a hike, in my own or a neighboring state, in the past few years, in much the same circumstances, and don't believe remains were ever found in that case.

The mountain lion snatching theory certainly seems more likely than the tunneling underground reptilian race theory http://www.subversiveelement.com/UnderMojave11.html but those reptiles are pretty darn fast, too, especially in water.  Alligators have certainly grabbed few kids, so...I'm willing to give anything a shot.   happy.gif

#8 Guest_Dark Angel_*

Guest_Dark Angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

Well, we certainly don't have any wild alligators in California, that's for sure!  But we do have plenty of cougars, and even though they really aren't huge (200 lbs. tops), they have been known to kill adult hikers and joggers.  A few years ago, there was a woman jogger down in So. Cal who was killed by a cougar.  Ravenheart is right about their killing methods--cougars do crush the necks of their victims.  
Getting back to children though, our park rangers will tell you that a cougar can easily snatch up a 4 or 5 year old child on the run without slowing down or missing a beat.  That goes with that ambush method I talked about in my earlier post.
I think I'll hit my "mystery" books today and see if I can find anything referencing that Forest of Missing Children.  smile.gif

#9 Guest_Madidus_*

Guest_Madidus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

I grew up in CA as well, and have been investigating many aspects of the paranormal there for a long time, but I can't say I have ever heard of this place either! Let me shoot out a couple emails and dig through some stuff, and I'll see if I can find anything as well..!

ETA: Update! none of my California colleagues are aware of any forest of lost children, the only reference I was able to come up with besides the book, was the title of an article in FATE magazine... sorry I couldnt help more

Edited by Madidus, 19 February 2006 - 09:40 PM.

#10 athy

athy

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:19 PM

sounds more like the Bennington Triangle in Vermont.

the link :  http://www.mendhak.com/paranormal/mystery/show.php?id=20

In his book, "Green Mountain Ghosts, Ghouls, and Unsolved Mysteries", Joe Citro calls the area in Bennington near Glastenbury mountain, the "Bennington Triangle". It is similar to the more famous Bermuda Triangle in that it has been a hotspot for UFO activity, strange lights, sounds, odors, specters, mysterious creatures...and more startling, human disappearences.

American natives shunned the place, using it only for a burial ground. They believed the land to be cursed because all four winds met in that spot. There is also mention in native American folklore of an enchanted stone which is said to swallow anything that steps on it. Since then, numerous people have died mysteriously, suffered many hardships, and have gone insane.

In 1892, a millworker named Henry MacDowell killed his co-worker, Jim Crowley in a drunken fight. He was sentenced to life in an asylum, but escaped, never to be seen again.

On November 12, 1945, 75 year old Middie Rivers led four hunters onto the mountain on an unseasonably mild day. When the group was returning to camp, near Long Trail Road and Route 9, Rivers got ahead of the others and was never seen again. Police and many volunteers searched the area for the experienced woodsman but never found him. The only clue was a single bullet which his friends speculated fell out of his belt when Rivers took a drink of water.

A little over a year later, on December 1, 1946, an 18 year old sophomore at Bennington College vanished without a trace. Paula Welden hitched a ride to the Long Trail to take a day hike. Several witnesses confirmed seeing her on the trail after she hitched the ride, but when she did not return to school, a search team scoured the area. Despite a 5,000 dollar reward and help from the FBI, Paula Welden was never seen again. Two unconfirmed rumors circulate about her whereabouts. Some say Paula arranged her disappearance and moved to Canada with a lover; while others speculate she still lives a reclusive life on the mountain.

Three years to the day after Paula Welden's disappearance, a James E. Tetford vanished. Tetford boarded a bus in St. Albans after visiting relatives. He never got off the bus at the Bennington Soldiers Home where he lived. His presence on the bus was confirmed at the stop before Bennington, buthe was not on the bus when it reached Bennington. None of the passengers, including the driver, had any idea what happened to him.

On October 12, 1950, 8-year old Paul Jepson became another victim of the Bennington "black hole". His parents were caretakers for a dump. His mother was tending to some pigs, leaving Paul unattended for no more than an hour, only to find him gone...without a trace. According to Paul's father, the boy had a strange "yen" to go into the mountains. Although Paul was wearing a red jacket, which would have made him more visible, intensive search parties found nothing. Blood hounds traced his scent to a highway and suddenly lost it, suggesting that Paul was picked up, or maybe vanished into thin air.

Two weeks later on October 28, Freida Langer was hiking with her cousin Herbert Elsner. After falling in a stream, Freida told her cousin to wait there while she ran a half mile back to camp to change clothes. When she didn't return, Elsner went back to camp only to discover that she had never arrived, and nobody saw her leave the woods. Freida knew the area well and was unlikely to get lost, especially since it was still broad daylight. Search teams scoured the area on foot, by plane, and hellicopter finding nothing. Another search on November 5 and 7 turned up nothing at all. And on November 11 and 12, 300 military, police, firemen, sportsmen, and volunteers also came up emptyhanded. On May 12, 1951, Langer's body did turn up, in an open area where she would not have been missed during the search. The cause of death was unknown.

A 13-year-old boy named Melvin Hills disappeared in the Bennington area around October 11, 1942, and in 1949, three hunters mysteriously vanished as well in the Glastenbury area.

The disappearences stopped after 1950, and to my knowledge, no one else has vanished in the area since then.

Many theories attempt to explain the strange phenomenon of the Glastenbury area vanishings. One paranormal-based theory speculates that their are interdimensional horizons in which people step into, leaving this world. Some speculated that they were abducted by aliens, while others suggest the Bennington Monster (a large creature said to lurk in the woods of the area) carried them off. Another, more logical theory is that perhaps a serial killer was responsible. However, their was no pattern to the killings. Serial killers usually target a certain type of individual, and the Bennington victims ranged in sex and age. The only pattern was that all disappearances occurred during the months of October, November, and December. And one final theory, but no closer to an answer, is that perhaps the victims fell into abandoned wells.

Despite these many disappearances, many people including camp owner Larry Lauzon, who appeared in a Burlington Free Press article, says he spends much time in the Glastenbury wilderness and has yet to encounter anything strange. Whatever happened to the 9 or 10 people who vanished in the wilderness is still a mystery.

#11 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:48 AM

Interesting--not the one of which I'm thinking--but similar in that a lot of incidents took place within a fairly short time frame, years ago, leaving decades during which things could have "turned up."

#12 AbsoluteAngel

AbsoluteAngel

Simply Angelic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:Techno, metal, video gaming, paranormal research, and all sorts of outdoors stuff

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:59 AM

I found this at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188204602...glance&n=283155

There is actually a chapter titled "Forest of Disappearing Children

Here is the original Google descrip:

Topics include the ghost who haunts Nob Hill, The Forest of Disappearing Children, and the Bigfoot who has been seen in Humboldt County. ...
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1882046021?v=glance - 80k -
<!--fonto:Comic Sans MS--><span style='font-family: "Comic Sans MS"'><!--/fonto-->" Tuesday, you see, had to be free. But somehow, I've got to carry on" Lynyrd Skynyrd <!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

#13 shonalynn

shonalynn

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Interests:Nachos, beer, football.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Dark Angel @ Feb 18 2006, 08:41 PM) View Post
  The parks post signs and rangers will warn people about that, because a mountain lion can hide in bushes, and when a child runs by, the lion will simply run across the road to the bushes on the other side, and snatch the child on the way.

I will never take my children on vacation to California!!! unsure.gif
I'm on Facebook!

#14 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

Just bumping this up to say I think I found the case I was remembering.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bowman_thomas.html

It's now believed a serial killer was responsible.   sad.gif

#15 CaniswalensisGStudy

CaniswalensisGStudy

Spongebob Swearpants

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:29 AM

I have heard Yellowstone national park called by this nickname.  I think this may be the forest your book was refering to.

It is not well known, but there have been a lot of mysterious dissappearances at yellowstone over the years.  Most of them have been children, and they are usually never found.  Even with a lot of precautions and warnings it still happens, although not as much as it used to.

Hope this helps, Canis
Posted Image

#16 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:29 AM

All I'd ever heard about Yellowstone involved accidents, not disappearances.

#17 CaniswalensisGStudy

CaniswalensisGStudy

Spongebob Swearpants

• Administrators
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE(CorisCapnSkip @ Aug 5 2008, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All I'd ever heard about Yellowstone involved accidents, not disappearances.

I am sure they don't brag about it. no.gif
Posted Image

#18 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:36 AM

Yeah, that Yogi Bear has developed a taste for children over picnic baskets. Yellowstone's little secret....   biggrin.gif

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#19 CaniswalensisGStudy

CaniswalensisGStudy

Spongebob Swearpants

• Administrators
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Aug 5 2008, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, that Yogi Bear has developed a taste for children over picnic baskets. Yellowstone's little secret....   biggrin.gif

HA HA!  I love this joke so much I almost can't bring myself to point out that Yogi Bear lives in "Jellystone Park"................almost.
Posted Image

#20 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

The only disappearances Google brings up are of animals.  Presumably Yogi is not among them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users