18 replies to this topic

#1 sum_41_hockney

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Music, Movies

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:25 AM

http://user.bahnhof.se/~wizard/GUSTeng03/o...ianatrench.html

Japanese scientist was recently conducting a speculative experiment close to the Mariana trench in the Pacific, the deepest spot on the earth. when they caught something they hadn´t expected...

A container full of jared blood and gore was the bait and surveyed by an advanced video camera. The purpose was to attract deep water sharks.

The next minute the sharks dispersed and the Japanese scientists saw something they will never forget. A huge animal was slowly swimming above the camera, something never seen before and so large it was almost impossible.

My Signature
IPB Image

#2 Setzer_Gabbiani

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:54 AM

I don't know this sets off alarms of "false" in my head. I live in Japan and there's been nothing in the papers also the ambiguiety of the whole things bothers me "a japanese research team" ok who are they affiliated with?  Don't want to release any info until they are sure. Trust me any scientist catching anything over 60 meters long at that depth  1.5km is a little over 3/4 of a mile is going to release it even if it looked like a giant rubber ducky. There is little at that depth with the exception of giant squids and colossal squids to even support a shark that size. Also how have they eluded sonar mapping so long? Squid and jellyfish present almost no resistance to sonar but sharks and fish clearly show up as solid objects. I say fabricated.

-Setzer

#3 Guest_hallowman_*

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:56 AM

Oooh! A container of jared blood, I like their way of thinking!

IPB Image

#4 shonalynn

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Interests:Nachos, beer, football.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:10 AM

I don't think I'm going to buy this one. Maybe it was Godzilla ohmy.gif !
My Signature
I'm on Facebook!

#5 Guest_OffDutyCopGStudy_*

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(hallowman @ Jun 16 2006, 09:56 AM) View Post

Oooh! A container of jared blood, I like their way of thinking!

IPB Image

Yeah, there's quite a few spelling and grammatical errors in the article, so its not something that I'm going to place a great amount of faith in.

#6 trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

I think it's someone sending in a story and then someone posts it to the site.
It may have originally been part of a promo for Godzilla?
The whole thing left me thinking of Godzilla.

My Signature

#7 Spirit_Ewe

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:I have a huge amount of interests, I work part time and have a lot of time to persue them. I am also studying psychology part time, hoping to get into criminology.Reading and travel are my two most time consuming past times. I read a lot about criminal behaviour, the unexplained, paranormal phenomina and the natural world. I have also travelled all over my country, which I love and never get tired of seeing.Later this year I am marrying the love of my life, whom I met on an online web site :)

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

While I believe its possible there are creatures this size out there waiting to be properly discovered, named and categorised - I dont think another short article on the net is enough to make me believe outright it was an actual video capture.  I would need to see the tape myself before making a call on that.

Nessie and  mbolombeke (sp) in africa could be one of these animals; and many other countries have various rumors and records of sightings of large marine animals seemingly of this type - so I dont think its totally discountable at this stage, but not totally convincing either.
My Signature

Let children walk with Nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communions of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is stingless indeed, and as beautiful as life.

John Muir

#8 sum_41_hockney

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Music, Movies

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:15 AM

I only found this because I was looking on the IMDb page for the movie "Meg", based on the book by Steve Alten. I would say this may be publicity for that, but it hasn't even been given the green light yet, so I don't know. I just hope they release the video, providing it isnt a hoax.
My Signature
IPB Image

#9 Miriavas

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Interests:Photography, life, my kids, survival.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

I don't think it's with out the relm of posibility that Megaladons are still out there. We do know giant squids exist.  And the ocean takes up most of the planet. But I do think it's highly highly imporbable.

I think that report was fabricated. It was put out there in 2003 and we haven't heard a word since.
My Signature
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."~E.A. Poe

Blog~
Cache paranormal society

#10 ~=IKON=~

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

Oh geez  rolleyes.gif I was hoping to see a video but without that and all the spelling errors and how small the article is then I have to say in my opinion its not true.  sad.gif
My Signature
Ghost Investigator: 1994-Present
One day your life will flash before your eyes.  Make sure it's worth watching.
If something is 99% impossible, there is that 1% chance it could happen.
If you wake up in the morning and you feel no pain, you probably died sometime in the night

#11 citrinecastle

Priestess of Poo

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Interests:Stalking GS moderators, discussing horrific bowel movements and all that is stinky, cat speaking, eating bubble wrap

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(Miriavas @ Jun 19 2006, 12:18 PM) View Post

I don't think it's with out the relm of posibility that Megaladons are still out there. We do know giant squids exist.  And the ocean takes up most of the planet. But I do think it's highly highly imporbable.

I think that report was fabricated. It was put out there in 2003 and we haven't heard a word since.

Ditto. There are things we think are extinct in the ocean..proven existed...things considered myth such as the giant squid...proven  existed......

could BE that Megaladons are still out there...

but since I watched JAWS and I'm a weenie considering the ocean, I sincerely hope NOT.

Huge giant sharks.......

Nu uh.

No thanks.

Just me though, I'm sure whistling.gif  laugh.gif
My Signature

Posted Image

http://www.myspace.com/citrinecastle

Ask Me About My Bowel Movements, I Dare You

No...Let's NOT Talk About My Bowel Movements You Rascally Evil Mod, You

#12 SouthernYankee 71

EVP

• GS Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:02 AM

What a shame.
My Signature

SouthernYankee 71

#13 chilli

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, travelling, food and wine, animals, politics, TV, and more

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:29 AM

While I doubt the authenticity of this particular item of news, I would love to think that megalodons are still out there. How cool would that be w00t.gif I bet there is soooooooooo much in the world's oceans that we would never fathom could still be out there but how would we ever know!

Edited by chilli, 22 June 2006 - 01:30 AM.

#14 pretty kitty kitsune

EVP

• GS Member
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, reading, writing, cosplay, comics, sleeping, social justice, being a mom

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

I really like the idea of some giant creepy creature, but I think the article and details are too vague for it to be true... which makes me sad because I want to believe in sea monsters and all....
My Signature
We're all freaked out here. Let's rule out aliens and stick to what we know.

#15 Alucard

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

I remember years ago I first saw this story, anyone ever find a video link?

#16 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(Lizard Girl @ Jun 20 2006, 03:06 AM) View Post

Ditto. There are things we think are extinct in the ocean..proven existed...things considered myth such as the giant squid...proven  existed......
could BE that Megaladons are still out there...

but since I watched JAWS and I'm a weenie considering the ocean, I sincerely hope NOT.

Huge giant sharks.......

Nu uh.

No thanks.
Just me though, I'm sure whistling.gif  laugh.gif

I'm with you  Lizard Girl... A shark that can get over 100 feet long is not something I want to be in the ocean with.

Megalodon Jaw

More Jaws

Edited by MacCionoadha' Bean-Sidhe, 03 November 2006 - 04:32 PM.

My Signature

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

The Unofficial GhostStudy Easter Bunny

Posted Image

My Shop

#17 Lianachan

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:30 AM

I started a thread about Megalodon a couple of years ago.  

HERE is my take on the chances of it still being around.

Edited by Lianachan, 04 November 2006 - 03:30 AM.

My Signature
I apologise unreservedly. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, was in no way fair comment and was motivated purely by malice. I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#18 Iwanttobelieve999

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:35 AM

I don't believe this insident is real but I do believe that a Megaladon may have been the sorce of that strange "bloop" that scientiest recorded that ahows a creature larger then a blue whale.

#19 Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(chilli @ Jun 22 2006, 02:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I doubt the authenticity of this particular item of news, I would love to think that megalodons are still out there. How cool would that be :w00t: I bet there is soooooooooo much in the world's oceans that we would never fathom could still be out there but how would we ever know!

Not cool actually...I surf... And this is the last thing I want to see when I'm waiting for a wave. And if I did see one, I'm grabbing dynamite.
My Signature
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
Jessie thought for a moment, his face expressionless as usual.
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

-Excerpt from my short story "Stabbed in the Front."

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com