• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nemorach

Nemorach

Official Thread Killer

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Interests:....escaping certain death on a regular basis....

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:05 AM

hope this hasn't already been posted...and I meant to put this in the news section...a little help, mods.... smile.gif .
courier-journal.com
Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Owners saving sanatorium

Pair picture B&B at Waverly Hills

By Darhiana M. Mateo
dmateo@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Potential.

That's what Charles and Tina Mattingly, who bought the old Waverly Hills Sanatorium in 2001, see when they look at the imposing four-story structure spanning 180,000 square feet.

More specifically, the Valley Station couple envisions a "haunted" bed and breakfast complete with a rooftop restaurant, among other ideas.

The Gothic-style building, a former tuberculosis hospital from the 1920s, is infamous for the hundreds of people who died there -- and some say paranormal events occur there.

But for the Mattinglys, who have poured thousands of dollars into renovating the building and have worked for five years to breathe life into the once badly deteriorating building, it's a piece of history.

"It deserves to be saved. No matter how much it's been beaten up, it's still a beautiful building," said Tina Mattingly, who started the Waverly Hills Historical Society to raise money to renovate the property just off Dixie Highway on East Pages Lane.

Five years ago, Waverly Hills was falling apart. No windows were left in place, the surrounding 30 acres were covered in garbage, and the structure was considered an asbestos hazard.

Now, the grounds have been cleaned, more than 100 new windows have been installed, the roof over the cafeteria wing is fixed, and the brick walls and stone are under renovation so the rest of the roof can be restored in the spring.

Charles Mattingly's father, who recently passed away, started working at the tuberculosis hospital when he was 17. The younger Mattingly grew up hearing stories of what a beautiful place Waverly used to be and of the patients who lived out their last years there.

Mattingly has high hopes for the property, which had been unused since the early 1980s. The sanatorium closed in 1961, and the building was reopened in 1962 as Woodhaven Geriatrics Hospital, which closed in 1981. Mattingly purchased the property in 2001 for almost $250,000.

"We feel like we're doing something … that could give back to the community," he said.

The couple wants to open a bed and breakfast on the second and third floors, with a rooftop restaurant, and room for medical offices on the first floor.

"We decided that it needed to be something where the public can come and see it, and be free to leave. We know that whoever moves in there is not going to want to stay," said Tina Mattingly, alluding to the building's haunted reputation. "I know as a bed and breakfast, people would come to stay a night or two and love it."

The couple has started raising money by taking in donations for haunted house tours, and they held a month-long haunted house in October.

They were able to open the building for tours after the Pleasure Ridge Park fire marshal inspected it and found it to be safe, a condition set by the Louisville Metro Department of Inspections, Permits and Licenses.

They estimate that they raised well over $100,000 with the tours.

The Mattinglys also are in the early stages of putting together a development plan. They will seek investors once the city approves the work.

According to Tina Mattingly, a Louisville architect estimated that renovating the place would cost almost $45 million. But she and her husband hope to accomplish the task with considerably less, partly through volunteer help.

Shirlene Edwards, a Valley Station resident who also has family ties to the property, is one of almost 40 volunteers who have dedicated many hours to helping the Mattinglys renovate Waverly Hills.

Edwards' grandfather was a butcher and her grandmother worked in the laundry room of the tuberculosis clinic. Edwards said she had a vague memory of visiting the place as a child and admiring the landscaping.

"I remember the rolling green hills. … I used to tumble down those hills," Edwards said.

Tina Mattingly said she is trying to come up with other ways to raise money.

Next holiday season, she hopes to invite local businesses to sponsor a room inside Waverly and decorate it for Christmas. The public can then donate a small amount to tour the rooms and vote on their favorite.

Although they recognize the renovation project is ambitious and will take years, Tina Mattingly said she is confident they'll get there.

"We're just trying to get it to a point where somebody can come in and say this could be something," she said. "We're trying to save a historic building. And we'll do it."

Edited by Nemorach, 20 December 2006 - 11:08 AM.

Posted Image

Sheesh, you don't post for awhile and people try to take your title. Not yours, you can't have it.

#2 HelenaHandBaskettGStudy

HelenaHandBaskettGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,353 posts
  • Interests:Reading, hanging with my best girl (my daughter), hanging with my best guy, hockey, music, the paranormal, and RHPS

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:10 PM

Okay, I think that has to be the coolest  thing I have heard today!! Waverly has always been a favorite haunted place of mine, and I'd love to visit it!! I think it's terrific that the Mattingly's are trying to restore the buildings!!

Posted Image

Dr. Egon Spengler: I'm worried, Ray. All my readings point to something big on the horizon.
Winston Zeddemore: What do you mean, big?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning's reading, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.
Winston Zeddemore: That's a big Twinkie.

#3 AugustineGStudy

AugustineGStudy

Creeping Death

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,478 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

I hope that they're able to make this plan a success.  That sounds way too cool!!!  If I lived nearby, I would be more than happy to donate some materials and/or labor toward the renovation effort.  I think their idea sounds promising and hope it takes off.

Posted Image

Many thanks to SilentWalkerGStudy for the awesome banner!

#4 kydolphin34

kydolphin34

Orb

• False Positive
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:karaoke, paranormal, reading, movies

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:33 PM

I can't believe I missed this article in the paper Wednesday!!  I normally see the word Waverly and go haywire to read it.

I can't wait for this to come to fruitation!  I will definitely be in line to stay the night!  YEEHAW!!  

Rhonda

#5 mercesgirl

mercesgirl

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, ghosts, desktop enhancement.

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

I too love Waverly, and think this is an awesome idea.  I have always wanted to go and this would be a perfect chance. By the way, does anyone know if they are currently still doing tours there?
[font=Comic Sans Ms]<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF6666--><span style="color:#FF6666"><!--/coloro-->Ghosts are invisible, and I didn't see anything. Therefore, ghosts must exsist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6666--><span style="color:#FF6666"><!--/coloro-->-Gilbert Godfrey on Celebrity Paranormal<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#6 fuzzyghost

fuzzyghost

Ghoul

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

That is great about the Waverly!  iIhope all works out for the b&b and the other ideas of the Mattingly's.  Good luck to them!
user posted image

#7 lissybird

lissybird

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:16 AM

Wow! smile.gif

This is great news - history is being preserved yet the future is being set in motion. I love it! smile.gif
Since Summer 2005, haunting GS/PS
Prissy Lissy!
Formerly eaj (elizabeth anne jane) and tara juliet
Pooky Fan!

#8 kydolphin34

kydolphin34

Orb

• False Positive
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:karaoke, paranormal, reading, movies

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(mercesgirl @ Dec 28 2006, 06:43 PM)  
I too love Waverly, and think this is an awesome idea.  I have always wanted to go and this would be a perfect chance. By the way, does anyone know if they are currently still doing tours there?

You can check out this website: http://whsron46.tripod.com/index.html for info on the tours, as well as some great pictures and history.

Rhonda

#9 mercesgirl

mercesgirl

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, ghosts, desktop enhancement.

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE(kydolphin34 @ Dec 29 2006, 04:20 PM)  
You can check out this website: http://whsron46.tripod.com/index.html for info on the tours, as well as some great pictures and history.

Rhonda

Thanks for that info.  I'll definately check it out.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF6666--><span style="color:#FF6666"><!--/coloro-->Ghosts are invisible, and I didn't see anything. Therefore, ghosts must exsist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6666--><span style="color:#FF6666"><!--/coloro-->-Gilbert Godfrey on Celebrity Paranormal<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#10 Dami

Dami

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

I wish my fam would finish renovating my great grandfather's sanitorium. It costs a staggering amount...the whole family has been pitching in, but it just hasn't happened.

I hope they can save the Waverly.  I think it deserves it.
Everyone Needs a Family Sanitorium...

“The wages of coming through life unscathed....is going through life untouched."    --  me.

#11 MooseyMoose

MooseyMoose

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Disorder! Disorder!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that is the coolest thing I ever heard. I hope they accomplish their goals as well because they would probably not have to worry about booking it once it was done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users