Free Skins
© Fisana

Butterflies After A Death Of A Loved One?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cherokee

Cherokee

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to ask (if it's not, I apologise and please move it to the appropriate forum), but I have a question regarding losing a loved one and butterflies. Is it true that butterflies are known as symbols of communication after death? I have just read this on another site. I am asking this because my father died almost a year ago (on July 28), and the day he died and in the immediate days after, I saw a lot more butterflies than usual. I mean they seemed to fly around close by if I was outside on the patio and quite often. We would see them every now and then around before he passed away, but nothing like this. Now, my dad was one that loved the outdoors and was always outside, working in the yard and that kind of thing. He loved nature in all respects. To add a twist to this, a little over a week ago, on Friday, we had to put our beloved 12 year old (he would have been 12 in September) golden retriever to sleep due to cancer. My dad loved this dog and the dog loved my dad. Usually if you saw my dad, the dog was nearby, always laid at his feet at night when my dad was watching tv, etc. The day we had to take the dog in to be euthanized (one of the hardest things we've ever had to do), we put him in the back of the truck and we came inside to get our stuff to go. When I came inside the door, I turned around and looked back out at the truck and the dog (the rear of the truck was facing the door) and there was this large butterfly flying above the bed of the truck and the dog. As soon as I saw it, I immediately thought of my dad. Maybe that was just coincidental, but it just seemed so appropriate and just like after my dad died. So, I really am curious if there is a connection with butterflies and death. If anyone has any insight at all to this, I would love to hear it.

-Kel

#2 pikati

pikati

EVP

• False Positive
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

I honestly have no idea and haven't heard of the connection between butterflies and death...however, that was such a touching story  cwy.gif

...thanks for sharing

Posted Image

#3 fbjewels

fbjewels

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:My kids, Reading, the Paranormal, Useless Movie Trivia

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

I'm so glad you posted this!  When my grandmother died, we noticed alot of butterflies around too.  It started at the funeral (which was in September). We were sitting listening to the minister, and suddenly there were about ten butterflies fluttering around the casket.  Ever since, butterflies seem attracted to me and my children - I definitely take it as a sign that my grandmother is around and thinking of us.  

Whether or not there is any connection, it certainly is comforting!

I'm sorry for your losses - I hope you take some comfort in them as well.

#4 Cherokee

Cherokee

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

It's nice to see that others have seen butterflies like this as well. It is very comforting to see them, regardless if there really is a connection to it. The website that I had read about this at is below, for anyone who may like to read about it:

http://butterflywebsite.com/discover/bfliesandrainbows.cfm

Edited by Cherokee, 23 July 2007 - 11:16 AM.

#5 BFG

BFG

Ectoplasm

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:10 AM

I think there is a connection too, but with me its dragon flies.

#6 Zirrith

Zirrith

EVP

• GS Member
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:BAND and doing readings. I read books alot and well, i just tend to love so much, but also hate so much. It is my fate to suffer until I'm out of my house. But that won't be long. 6 months to go!

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:03 AM

This may be a little off, but in my mom's home country. There are always strange occurances (El Salvador btw) and my family seem to beleive in the supernatural. Anyway, point is, legend for them is that when a person dies a gian black butterfly perches itself on the door or roof of the mourning house and remains there for a while. I've never seen it, but my mom says she has. mind you, there are ALOT of deaths in El Salvador due to the mass of earthquakes.

Edited by Zirrith, 28 July 2007 - 12:06 AM.

When shall all the lives of the many who suffered, begin to matter? When hatred has consumed them and lead them to "visit" their enemies? Or will it be when the "enemies" see them for who they can be, can become....a friend.

#7 FeelingYouThere

FeelingYouThere

Orb

• False Positive
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:00 AM

I don't know how much truth you can put in this but I remember an X-Files episode where Scully and Fox were are the sight of a plane crash.  This is only secne that I remember in any of the shows because I thought it was beautiful and sad at the same time.  Anyway they were looking over the wreakage and there were butterflies everywhere.  Dozens of them.  Scully said something to Mulder about the butterflies and Mudler said they attracted to the wreakage.  Scully asked what attracted them and Mulder replied "Tears.  Butterflies are attrached to tears."

Anyway this topic made me think of it again.

#8 Cherokee

Cherokee

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:08 AM

Thanks again for all the responses. It certainly does make me think there is definitely some kind of connection. I saw a big one yesterday too actually (first one really since we had to put my dog to sleep that day, also looked like the one from that day as well) and yesterday was the one year anniversary of my father's death. Could just be coincidence, that one, but who knows. I smile when I see them though, and my dad for sure would be glad to know that. smile.gif

#9 LilithOhr

LilithOhr

Orb

• False Positive
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Vincent Price, Writing.

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

I've been experiancing the same thing. My brother also passed away a year ago today, the 28th. Right after he passed we saw nothing, but dragon flies. And today I've seen an amazing amount of butterflies in my yard. It's been unreal. I was so excited to see this post because it made me know I wasn't alone in this. I'm also very sorry for your lost.

Take care,
~ Lo

#10 EmeraldAngel

EmeraldAngel

Orb

• False Positive
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:33 AM

First of all, I am so sorry for the losses of both your Dad and your dog.  I also have to agree that there is a connection between our deceased loved ones and butterflies.  my Grandmother was an avid gardener all of her life.  I have flowers growing in my garden that she has given me over the years.  After she died, I noticed that when I was out gardening, especially tending to the plants that she had given me, I would see butterflies everywhere.  I also  sometimes talk to my Grandma while i am out in the flower bed tending her flowers.  I swear that every time i talk to Grandma out there the butterflies are just everywhere --far more than I normally see.  I believe that my Grandma sends them to me to remind me that she is there with me and that she loves me too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users