10 replies to this topic

#1 Morning_Glory_

Morning_Glory_

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

I've been dating a really great guy, Bob, for the past five weeks.  I knew he was psychic on some levels but today when we were out - he was showing me his neighborhood.  We came across a really old cemetery - which is something I just love to go in and explore.
He said he can't go into cemetaries because he's an empath and he picks up on the greif of the family members that were left behind.

This was the first he had told me he was an empath.

I'm not an empath, I'm clairvoyant and more likely to pick up if there are any lingering spirits than on people that were left behind and were crying their hearts out at the gravesite.

So for those of you that are empathic are there things a non empath should know about you? Is the cemetary thing pretty much like that for all empaths?  Are there other places you can not go to because of this ability?

#2 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

I'm thinking he went in when the energy was fresh and he was traumatized.  I know empaths and I am a bit of one myself and there are cemeteries that I really do NOT like (like our local vet's cemetery... it's just... echoing and tragic and sad and smells of gunpowder even though I don't think even 1 out of 100 buried there died in a war) but I generally love cemeteries.  I love the little old ladies who go "oh, isn't she a darling for visiting us today?" and the peaceful, restful feeling they have.

Ask him if he's ever tried shielding and if it's been effective.  If he doesn't know what you're talking about, let me know and I'll have a little chat with him about it (heck, since you're coming into your own gifts, if you don't know exactly what I'm talking about I should schedule a little chat with YOU) and explain both what it is and give a couple tips on doing it.  

Glad to see you online this evening!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#3 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(Morning_Glory_ @ Aug 26 2007, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So for those of you that are empathic are there things a non empath should know about you? Is the cemetary thing pretty much like that for all empaths?  Are there other places you can not go to because of this ability?

As an empath, hospitals are a big downer for me (for obvious reasons).  So are places where people come in for counseling and therapy.  Someone suggested a while back that I should look into volunteering at the student counseling center at my university, and I was thinking to myself, "no thanks...like I don't have enough stress of my own without going in there and soaking up everyone else's vibes."

I'm guessing that your SO would probably prefer to avoid any place where there tends to be a concentration of anxiety, grief, anger, or other negative vibes.  You might want to think twice about visiting historic locations where violence or suffering took place (such as a battlefield) and ask him beforehand if he thinks he'd be up for it.  I had the most frightening empathic experience of my life at an 18th century fort that had been turned into a living history museum.

Also...be prepared for him to pick up on any strong emotions you have, regardless of how well you try to play them off or conceal them.  He may even know that something is bothering you before you realize it!  But hey, nothing wrong with having a guy who's well attuned to your feelings.  biggrin.gif

#4 Morning_Glory_

Morning_Glory_

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

Also...be prepared for him to pick up on any strong emotions you have, regardless of how well you try to play them off or conceal them. He may even know that something is bothering you before you realize it! But hey, nothing wrong with having a guy who's well attuned to your feelings.

This I have been noticing.  He can pull me aside and tell me something that I was just thinking about and it totally suprises me but it is also a good thing as this guy tackles  problems head on rather than ignoring them.

#5 BlueRose3

BlueRose3

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

I donít have problems in cemeteries but I do have problems going into a church. Sometimes it takes my whole willpower not to cry no matter what the occasion is so I only go when it is absolutely necessary. A church can be a very emotional place because of all the sad vibes... Death, people family problems, desperation, people desperately seeking spiritual help.. what have you....

I have a wedding to go to on October so will be doing a lot of shielding now that I know about shielding. LOL......

#6 mercesgirl

mercesgirl

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, ghosts, desktop enhancement.

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

My brother is empathic and clairvoyant. He, however, loves cemetaries and finds them peaceful.  He says he goes in and talks with the spirits there.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF6666--><span style="color:#FF6666"><!--/coloro-->Ghosts are invisible, and I didn't see anything. Therefore, ghosts must exsist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6666--><span style="color:#FF6666"><!--/coloro-->-Gilbert Godfrey on Celebrity Paranormal<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#7 FeelingYouThere

FeelingYouThere

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

I am empathic also and have also felt at peace in cemetaries.  I used to go to them to do my homework when I was in high school and college.  And even now when I am feeling overwhelmed and super stressed I will drive to one and take a walk through it or just sit and it always helps me relax.  Could it possibly be the land on that paticular one?  Have you asked if it was just that one or does he pick up on the grief in all of them?

NOT GIVING ADVICE!  But if it was me and I felt that way, I would put myself to the test.  I would go to different ones and see if the feeling was the same or different and if it was different I would try to figure out what the difference was.  New versus old, recently "used" or not. Then if it turned out to be one or two and not all I would do some research on the background of the land and the majority of the people there.  

Like the others stated hospitals (especially the childrens floor), churches, funeral homes, historic locations, even schools and any place where there is a large and repeated concentration of strong emotion affects me.  Others like scenes of violent crimes, recent arguments, places where there was a family gathering, ect. all leave behind an energy that to me fades over time unless like a funeral home it is commonplace and repeated.

The most important thing for an empath and I think for anyone involved is like Tantric said...you have to learn how to shield.  If you don't know how it will give you more stress in your life.  He also needs to learn how to shield and separate his emotions from other people that he is around, if he hasn't all ready.  The sooner sheilding is learned the better for everyone, I promise.

This I have been noticing. He can pull me aside and tell me something that I was just thinking about and it totally suprises me but it is also a good thing as this guy tackles problems head on rather than ignoring them.

Sometimes I wish my hubby was empathic,,,,,,,,,, whistling.gif

#8 Tantric KittenGStudy

Tantric KittenGStudy

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

Sometimes I wish my hubby was empathic,,,,,,,,,, whistling.gif
happy0194.gif

I wish MY hubby would figure out that he can't lie to me... when the feelings and the words don't match up, I go by what the situation FEELS like.  He's told me I'm crazy before I've caught him redhanded more than once!  wallbash.gif
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#9 Lacrymosa

Lacrymosa

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:the paranormal, research, books, computers, music, parapsychology, true crime &amp; serial killers, art, web design, digital art, painting, driving. my friends. writing. playing music. my two kittens Isabella and Lorelei.

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

I dont think I am, or consider myself, empathic. However I am a sensitive and I do pick up on things in different places.

Cemetaries are usually a crapshoot for me. It depends on the cemetary. Mostly, I love them. They're quiet and restful. If it was recently used and someone was very upset in it, then I feel a little anxious. Or, if I find a not-so-positive spirit inside. Other than that, I love them. I love just walking through them, reading the stones, talking to spirits. If someone recently disturbed the gravesite (stole a vase, broke the stone, etc,) I like to sit and talk to the owner of the grave and give them my apologies and not to worry about the vandal.

Im even okay in hospitals. In fact, I feel very safe in hospitals. I think that's because the present overshadows the supernatural. I have a few medical problems, and I'd rather be in the hospital than nowhere else, because you're surrounded by doctors who can help. There is a lot of sad energy in there, but there is a lot of history in there. it's nice to talk to anyone who happens to stick around. I find alot of them stick around just to make sure others are okay.

two places I cannot do are funeral homes and churches. I dont even know why. but I become completely overwhelmed in there. I refuse to go in unless I dont have a choice.
= Blood, Brains & Rock 'n' Roll =

#10 Guest_shadi black_*

Guest_shadi black_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE(Morning_Glory_ @ Aug 25 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been dating a really great guy, Bob, for the past five weeks.  I knew he was psychic on some levels but today when we were out - he was showing me his neighborhood.  We came across a really old cemetery - which is something I just love to go in and explore.
He said he can't go into cemetaries because he's an empath and he picks up on the greif of the family members that were left behind.

This was the first he had told me he was an empath.

I'm not an empath, I'm clairvoyant and more likely to pick up if there are any lingering spirits than on people that were left behind and were crying their hearts out at the gravesite.

thats a good question but i think only he would know that answer if he's an empath then he will know what he can and can't stand , I would just remain supportive and try to understand his needs and give i hope this helps.
congrats on your new love
shadi

#11 RavenHeart

RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, Spiritual, and Supernatural, . Love Music, Camping, Horseback Riding, Cinema, Photography, Art, Native American Story-Telling. Kundalini Reiki, Holographic Quantum Physics etc.

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

He can learn to shield himself from negative feelings that others leave behind...I have had good results with a combination of prayer, meditation, visualization, and smudging on a regular basis, knowing how to ground and center is also valuable for an empath in my experience, as is carrying certain gemstones. You should be able to find more information just by doing a google search on empaths as well.

For me It helps if the people around me keep me aware of what they are feeling if it is anything intense, to help me seperate it from my own feelings and those left by others.

hope this helps a bit,
RavenHeartGStudy