• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 angelique5

angelique5

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

I've tried some digging around online, found some similar experiences, but where they're posting, they're being told its a neurological or psychiatric problem....   hmph.

So, I'm here wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing.

Now, hopefully I can explain it clearly.
Only for about the last 6 months, Randomly, when I close my eyes at night to go to sleep, I see people.  I'm not asleep, I'm not falling asleep yet.  Often it's when I'm thinking about my day, or praying, I will suddenly get a picture, an image.  It can be a still picture, or sometimes a moving picture, but always very brief.  These are not people that I know...all unfamiliar faces.   I've seen a woman with Down syndrome... another disabled man, sitting on the floor, his head was misshapen, but he was happy and smiling.  

Let me give the details of last nights experience.   I was laying in bed, but I was praying, hadn't been laying down long.  =flash= it was brief, but it was different because it was as if I was in the car with this man.  In the back right seat.  Very vivid, it was an older car, it had a bench front seat, with no headrests, maybe a 60's or 70's car- blue vinyl upholstery, he was in the drivers seat, white man, buzz cut, brownish hair, seemed middle aged.  He wore a black and yellow checkered flannel shirt.  It was a beautiful bright sunny day, I could see the blue sky beyond him.  He didn't move, or speak.  

I open my eyes, and lay wondering a while....

Only once has it been an uncomfortable experience... when it first began.  One night, every time I closed my eyes, over and over I would see eyes, watching me.... like, looking at me thru something, so I only see eyes, or one man wore a hood that covered most of his face........but just eyes...

I don't drink, ever...smoke, ever...never done drugs..........I'm basically religious, but also very open.  These are not dreams, these are not memories, these are not images I can control...they are random and they feel completely EXTERNAL.

So what I can't figure out is....what they mean, or even what they are~

#2 RavenHeart

RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, Spiritual, and Supernatural, . Love Music, Camping, Horseback Riding, Cinema, Photography, Art, Native American Story-Telling. Kundalini Reiki, Holographic Quantum Physics etc.

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(angelique5 @ Jan 21 2008, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One night, every time I closed my eyes, over and over I would see eyes, watching me.... like, looking at me thru something, so I only see eyes, or one man wore a hood that covered most of his face........but just eyes...

I don't drink, ever...smoke, ever...never done drugs..........I'm basically religious, but also very open.  These are not dreams, these are not memories, these are not images I can control...they are random and they feel completely EXTERNAL.

So what I can't figure out is....what they mean, or even what they are~
  Thanks for sharing that! It is a hard call, but I would not rule out the possibility of past life memories or even precognitive flashes. I don't mean any disrespect, but could it be that you can't control them because you believe you can't??? I wonder what type of psychiatric problem would cause images to pop up like that? Are they try to say it is always a hallucination? Because I tend to think it is common for visionary's to get glimpses such as what you are desrcibing. Although, I must admit if I go too long without sleep, I can close my eyes and watch the "cartoons" in my mind's eye until I fall asleep. hahahaha!!!   yes.gif

In all seriousness tho, it is really interesting. Was there anything new or unusual going on when these flashes began? I noticed you said the first time was an uncomfortable experience, it makes me wonder if they might not be repressed memories after all. Even so, let me share this; When people are speaking to me, I often see "visuals" in my mind and they are so vivid that I lose sight of whatever is actually in front of my eyes. I have checked the things I see with the person talking and can sometimes tell them things about the event or object that they are describing without having any prior knowledge of it.. which again, is precognition, (a psychic ability). It is not the clairvoyance that most psychics are noted for, but it is a psychic ability nonetheless.

I would not jump to that conclusion just yet, but think it is wise to explore the different possilities. Perhaps our minds are like computers and just need to flush extraneous things out of our memory banks occasionally and that causes these flashes., it could be so many different things I suppose...

**Uummm,....please do not come back and tell me it started right after you were playing with the ouija board or summoning demons etc. hahahahaha!!!  laugh.gif I am only kiddin'! I hope you figure out what this is all about.

heart.gif
Ravenheart

#3 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

I don't think it's offensive to want to rule out neurological or possible psyc causes.

However harmless it seems, if it's a neurological symptom, it might not feel scary or threatening but could be a sign of something starting to go very wrong.   (I went to school with someone who would smell baking bread before a seizure!  What a nice warning.)

Since it seems to happen in the same kind of setting all the time, it CAN'T HURT to rule out ordinary causes.
("hey doc, this doesn't really bother me, and isn't really a problem, but I want to make sure it ISN't a problem...")

Since it occurs while praying before bed, maybe it's a list/suggestions of people who might need someone to pray for them.
biggrin.gif

I like THAT idea, but would want to rule out the medical stuff first.

#4 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

When they say "neurological", it doesn't have to mean a disease or some physical problem. This can be a natural reaction of the normally functioning mind to mental stimulation while visual stimulation has been cut off. Its no worse for you than dreaming, or anything related to that type of mental experience.

#5 fw2la

fw2la

Apport

• False Positive
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:antique builder's hardware

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

yes!  i see them all the time.  we had a thread on this a few years ago, but i couldn't find it.

i find they come to me when i am in my twilight time before sleep - i'm deeply relaxed but alert.  they kind of come at me from all directions (if you've ever played "asteroids" on atari...).  i see them as neither happy nor sad but more with a look of needing something.  i personally believe that they are people who need prayers or a little gentle prodding to find peace and happiness.  i say a prayer and wish them well and they move on.

i have found that as i have progressed over the last few years in my intuition i see them more often although not every night - is this the same for you??  

my sister, on the other hand, has to fall asleep with the t.v. on because the people she sees often talk to her - i don't think i am ready for that.

keep us posted on your visions!
jennie
when was I at the potter's wheel?

#6 KISSfan

KISSfan

Ghoul

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

I have no idea what this could be though I experience something similar,except for me it's just faces that seem to 'melt' into another,pretty bizarre. I only wish I could see as much as you do though,it would be much more interesting albeit disconcerting so see so much detail.

~She Walks By Moonlight...~

http://forgottenontario.webs.com/

#7 Therightone86

Therightone86

Ectoplasm

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:I am currently attempting to achieve my Bachelor's Degree, majoring in communications (Ha...and I don't mean spiritual).<br /><br />Although its only for my personal recreation, writing is a favorite hobby of mine.<br /><br />I tend to be an avid movie-goer and find a replenishment, of sorts, in film.<br /><br />Beyond that...traveling, hiking, mountain climbing, swimming, and boating. I also enjoy taking care of my fish!<br /><br />The supernatural/paranormal is a regular part of my life, ha, but I do enjoy learning more about it as well.

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(trin @ Jan 21 2008, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it's offensive to want to rule out neurological or possible psyc causes.

However harmless it seems, if it's a neurological symptom, it might not feel scary or threatening but could be a sign of something starting to go very wrong.   (I went to school with someone who would smell baking bread before a seizure!  What a nice warning.)

Since it seems to happen in the same kind of setting all the time, it CAN'T HURT to rule out ordinary causes.
("hey doc, this doesn't really bother me, and isn't really a problem, but I want to make sure it ISN't a problem...")

Since it occurs while praying before bed, maybe it's a list/suggestions of people who might need someone to pray for them.
biggrin.gif

I like THAT idea, but would want to rule out the medical stuff first.

I would have to say that I agree with a lot of what Trin has written.  Ruling out potential medical threats is always a good place to start, especially since other sites you have visited have pointed their fingers towards that thought process a little more.

In my opinion, some of it could be stressed related as well.  What I am about to say may sound kind of far-fetched, so bare with me and if you are up for it, perhaps answer a few questions....

I think in some situations, praying can SOMETIMES have an adverse affect on people's mentality (and I don't mean this in a "prayer is negative" kind of way at all).  You're blessing your friends and family, asking them to be taken care of and watched over.  Perhaps in the process of asking for these things, we get our minds going, thinking about what COULD go wrong, or how things COULD have been.  We are so thankful for what we have and the condition what we have is in, that our minds go straight to a side "zone".  I think sometimes we also imagine how other people live their lives, and wonder how they get by, and what satisfies them.  In reality, we aren't really having visions of real things, just visions of places, conditions, and situations that other people may have to endure.

Like I said, a little far-fetched, but...does that make any sense?  I don't know how else to explain what I am attempting to get across.  HaHa!  Maybe I need to consult a few neurological sites! smile.gif

Do you have a lot of anxiety or stress?  Do you worry about a lot of things?  Do you ever dwell on your family's health and welfare, even when it isn't completely necessary?  Do you often wonder how other people get by in the world, or how happy they are in their own lives?  Considering two of the images that you used to describe your situation, do you have a fear of handicapped individuals or becoming handicapped yourself?

I mean, from the way you describe the images you see, they aren't necessarily TERRIBLE things, and people seem happy in them for the most part.  This leads me to believe, it is just your mind stemming off of your prayers and day.

Hmmm...I look forward to hearing more responses to this topic.  Very thought provoking.

-Nick-

#8 angelique5

angelique5

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

First- Thank you all for taking the time to respond!!  

I definately don't find anything offensive to the idea it could be neurological, etc.... I guess it just feels so EXTERNAL, that I was hoping to find other possibilities to explore.

In response to the handicap issue...I just happend to "see" 2 individuals in the same night, and I'm sure they stood out in my mind because I have a son with mosaic Down syndrome.  So, no, it's not anything I worry about, but it is a factor in my llife.

I also don't feel I'm any more stressed than usual....these events dont distress me either...I just find them odd.  

Oh, and in response to it starting about 6 months ago....................  at that time, we moved into a new house, and my biological father died the same week.  For about a month- well I think he was "visiting".  We had situations with our bedrooms lights coming on over and over some nights while we slept, radio's turning on, pictures fallng off tables, etc. All of that has completely stopped now, but I never found any of it scary, or stressful either......fascinating more than anything!      

Thanks again for your imput!!  If the post isnt' too buried the next time I see something....I'll come and share it..LOL    maybe it'll be as random as looking at the back of a mans head again....wink.gif

#9 Stacy

Stacy

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is my children! But I am interested in all things paranormal. Ghost hunting is my favorite hobby!!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:51 AM

[quote name='angelique5' date='Jan 20 2008, 07:20 PM' post='408781']
I've tried some digging around online, found some similar experiences, but where they're posting, they're being told its a neurological or psychiatric problem....   hmph.

So, I'm here wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing.

Now, hopefully I can explain it clearly.
Only for about the last 6 months, Randomly, when I close my eyes at night to go to sleep, I see people.  I'm not asleep, I'm not falling asleep yet.  Often it's when I'm thinking about my day, or praying, I will suddenly get a picture, an image.  It can be a still picture, or sometimes a moving picture, but always very brief.  These are not people that I know...all unfamiliar faces.   I've seen a woman with Down syndrome... another disabled man, sitting on the floor, his head was misshapen, but he was happy and smiling.  

Let me give the details of last nights experience.   I was laying in bed, but I was praying, hadn't been laying down long.  =flash= it was brief, but it was different because it was as if I was in the car with this man.  In the back right seat.  Very vivid, it was an older car, it had a bench front seat, with no headrests, maybe a 60's or 70's car- blue vinyl upholstery, he was in the drivers seat, white man, buzz cut, brownish hair, seemed middle aged.  He wore a black and yellow checkered flannel shirt.  It was a beautiful bright sunny day, I could see the blue sky beyond him.  He didn't move, or speak.  

I open my eyes, and lay wondering a while....

Only once has it been an uncomfortable experience... when it first began.  One night, every time I closed my eyes, over and over I would see eyes, watching me.... like, looking at me thru something, so I only see eyes, or one man wore a hood that covered most of his face........but just eyes...

Wow, my sister Jody was here and showed me this thread, as I always share any experience I have with her, she thought I should take a look.  (She's basically the only one I can talk to openly about this kind of thing, till I found GS)  As I was reading the first part of this I was thinking it could have been written by me.

A couple of years ago, after Jody and I got into the paranormal, I started reading about astral travel, meditation, etc., and started allowing myself to become more  relaxed at night, and kind of go with the flow.  Let me explain.  For years I have went to bed with the tv on, so that my mind only focused on what I was watching, rather than lying in the dark with my eye's either open or shut, and allowing myself to believe what I was seeing.  This way, anything I saw or heard could be easily explained.  

Anyway, I finally reached the point where I felt more comfortable with the idea of spirits/ghosts, etc., and was able to shut the tv off, and let my mind relax enough to go wherever it wanted to take me.  The first few times I allowed it, I just basically saw all kind's of beautiful, bright, colored, sparkling, or streaks of light.  They would start out very slowly with one blinking here or there, as if to say hi, and eventually there would be hundreds everywhere.  

Then one night, along with all these beautiful lights, (let me see if I can explain this!), it was as if someone was holding up photo's in all shapes and sizes, at a distance, and slowly bringing them one at a time closer and closer for me to see.

The first photo was a black and white photo of an elderly indian man and woman, the next was a child.  I don't remember any specific's after that, but the rest of the photo's were in color, and all the people were unknown to me.

Then the photo's started coming into view faster and faster, and I think from all the rapid eye movement of trying to keep up with them, I got an excruciating headache and had to turn the tv on in order to stop seeing them, and ease the pain.

Eventuallly I just started seeing them as normal looking people, all flashing in and out one at a time, along with the sparkling lights, but it always ends with me having a terrible headache unless I stop it before it gets to that point.  

As time went on, along with normal looking people, I also get all kinds of deformed looking people, along with "dead" or evil looking people and creatures.  

It is also at this point of relaxation and concentration that I can consciously hop out and astral travel.  However, once I started seeing things that frightened me, I returned back to my old habit of concentrating on the tv, and rarely allow myself to let my mind go where it wants to go.

I am wondering if when you talked of being in the car with the man, if you weren't astrally travelling as well.  This happens to me quite easily now, if I allow it.  I can sometime's literally just lay down, shut my eye's and go, if I am in a relaxed frame of mind.  

Stop and think about this and once you have, let me know.  Do you think it's possible that you've been seeing things like this all along, but blocking them, or coming up with some "logical explanation", because what you were seeing couldn't possibly be real?

Society and different religions, along with family, teach us that seeing isn't always believing, and the things we see, that don't fit into everyone else's belief system, are not accepted, so therefor can only be a figment of our imagination.

I am in no way trying to steer you away from seeking a professional, medical opinion.  By all means, if you feel like this is a medical condition, seek the help of a professional ASAP.  Afterall, what I'm experiencing may be a psychiatric, or neurological condition as well, and I'm too stupid to question it and seek help.

Stacy

#10 Mia Camille

Mia Camille

Demon

• False Positive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

i just wanted to add that you are not alone i too see things and people i don't know i still haven't figured out what it all means, but i hope i will someday, i noticed this things started happening after i wanted to develop it and asked for it too...good luck!

#11 angelique5

angelique5

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Let me do some reading on "astral travel"..........it is a term I've heard of, but don't fully understand what it means.   I'll respond again after I've done some reading!!

(I really don't feel it's a medical issue...........I feel it something spiritual or something thats being shown to me........right now,it feels like its not in my control, that its just images given to me randomly... maybe that could change::shrug:smile.gif

#12 Ridinghood

Ridinghood

Earthbound Spirit

• False Positive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

I get flashes like that all the time. For instance I was lying in bed with my eyes closed. Not asleep, flash I saw a little dark skinned boy in his bed. Looking at me wide eyed. He looked like he was going to scream. It seemed I was hovering above him. It was weird. All the people I see in my flashie time, I do not know either so I know exactly what you mean.

#13 Ash_of_Erin

Ash_of_Erin

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

OMG! For the longest time ever I thought I was the only one who saw stuff like this. I never told anyone though because I thought that they might think I was crazy. This is so unreal!

#14 Stacy

Stacy

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is my children! But I am interested in all things paranormal. Ghost hunting is my favorite hobby!!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(Ash_of_Erin @ Jan 24 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG! For the longest time ever I thought I was the only one who saw stuff like this. I never told anyone though because I thought that they might think I was crazy. This is so unreal!

I know what you mean.  

In what ways do you see things?

How long have you been seeing them?

Do they have any meaning?

Stacy

#15 angelique5

angelique5

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

I'm with Stacy... I'd really like to hear more of the details of what others are experiencing!

I did a little reading, online, on astral projection/travel, and that led me to some reading on remote viewing.  Need to read and understand more though.  At least its a direction to go though!

The most recent "image", in the car, got me thinking about the time factor, and if it was past or present- considering the way the car looked, etc.  And in reading, it did say time is really not an issue, things can be in the past, present or future.

...so now,my completely random thought for today:  The image I saw, of a disabled man, with the misshapen head, that I mentioned...  he was middle aged, slightly overweight, black hair- but he was smiling and happy- he wore a cobalt blue shirt, and was sitting on the floor.  I could have sworn it was at my mothers house, in her fancy formal living room that is seldom used, but it was not her furniture in the room.  What i recognized was the fireplace/wall.  I'm going to start logging these "images", until I understand them more--- because, I keep asking myself now, if that could have been my son I saw.   He's only 15 right now, not overweight, no misshapen head, but he is disbled and has black hair..............maybe I'm just trying too hard to rationalize why I thought this was my mothers house??

I wouldn't know for another 20 or 30 years!  Think these message boards will still be here??   ::::wink::::

#16 lordml

lordml

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

I'm so glad I found this board.  I was researching "seeing faces when I close my eyes" and found this post.  I've always wondered if anyone else has the same experience.  This has been happening to me for years.  It can be during the day when I close my eyes, like when I'm at the beach, but mostly at night when I first go to bed. And they are there for a long time.  If I open my eyes and then close them again they are still there. They talk to me too. Most of the time I can't hear what they are saying to me, but they are always trying to tell me something. One time, about a month ago,  a man thin and tall, probably around 35 was holding a child up for me to see. I can see the clothes they are wearing, lots of detail like they are standing right in front of me. Another time, this old man kept putting his face right in my face, like it was almost touching, and he kept repeating to me "I'm sorry for you troubles"  He came more than once. That was a few months after my mom died. I went to a reading one time and the lady said she was having a hard time getting a reading from me, but that she kept seeing a real old man beside me.  I assume that was him.  I just was wondering if this happens to other people and I sure wish I knew what they are trying to tell me.

#17 GhostlyGrace

GhostlyGrace

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Freaking people out with my thoughts & dreams

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

I posted about my experiences with this thing on another paranormal board. I was nervous to post about it at first because I figured I was just crazy.  (jury is still out on the crazy verdict).  But this happens to me too.

Lay down in bed with eyes closed, body gets totally relaxed, I think relaxation plays a part in it.  I have seen not only people but places too.  Example, I saw a blonde long haired skinny woman in a white dress holding a white scarf in one hand.  She was dancing in a field with arms out, shoulder level.  The field was green grass and very large with trees in the distance. Blue sky, sunny day. I don't know who she is or where is she is.   Then the next image could be a man in a suit walking down a busy sidewalk, then the next image could simply be a man's hand.   Most of the time, these are strangers. Only once was it someone I know and it was my grandfather who passed away years ago. That one freaked me out. lol  

Not all the scenes are happy ones. Some look like they belong in a horror movie, horrible things happening that I won't go into.  

There are times when the scenes won't stop or it's just too much. So I started visualizing a blank piece of paper.  just kept that blank piece of paper in my head until I fell asleep.   Didn't always work but it does most of the time.  

It's nice to read about other experiences.

Edited by GhostlyGrace, 23 May 2008 - 10:08 AM.

Posted Image

#18 lordml

lordml

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE(GhostlyGrace @ May 23 2008, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I posted about my experiences with this thing on another paranormal board. I was nervous to post about it at first because I figured I was just crazy.  (jury is still out on the crazy verdict).  But this happens to me too.

Lay down in bed with eyes closed, body gets totally relaxed, I think relaxation plays a part in it.  I have seen not only people but places too.  Example, I saw a blonde long haired skinny woman in a white dress holind a white scarf in one hand.  She was dancing in a field with arms out, shoulder level.  The field was green grass and very large with trees in the distance. Blue sky, sunny day. I don't know who she is or where is she is.   Then the next image could be a man in a suit walking down a busy sidewalk, then the next image could simply be a man's hand.   Most of the time, these are strangers. Only once was it someone I know and it was my grandfather who passed away years ago. That one freaked me out. lol  

Not all the scenes are happy ones. Some look like they belong in a horror movie, horrible things happening that I won't go into.  

There are times when the scenes won't stop or it's just too much. So I started visualizing a blank piece of paper.  just kept that blank piece of paper in my head until I fell asleep.   Didn't always work but it does most of the time.  

It's nice to read about other experiences.

#19 Skyline

Skyline

Orb

• False Positive
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

i dont want to be a jerk
but i thinks its your imagination
when i close my eyes i can see whatever i want
from memories to future things that might happen..
i think its just my imagination
Team5racing.com

#20 GhostlyGrace

GhostlyGrace

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Freaking people out with my thoughts & dreams

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

I know the difference between my own imagination and these flashes of pictures.    

Yes, there's a chance it could still be imagination and we are all wrong but there's a chance you are wrong too, skyline.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users