• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HocusPocus

HocusPocus

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, real life mysteries.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

Never look into a mirror by candlelight, it may show you a very haunted version of your home.

If you stare into a mirror between two tall white candles you might see the spirit of a loved one who has passed away. And their soul is stuck in your mirror.

Always cover a haunted mirror during a thunderstorm lightning will release the ghosts.

It is considered a bad omen to receive a mirror from a deceased persons home as a present.

If a mirror in the house falls and breaks on its own, A evil ghost is trying to escape it's mirror prision.

A baby should never be shown its own reflection before it is a year old, else it will stutter or grow no bigger than it is or die before it turns one.

Many families cover a mirror if someone dies, as they believe that the mirror will capture the dead personís soul, thus preventing its entry into heaven. When a person is bad in life many say let them be trapped in mirror it is better then going to Hell!

And if someone sees their reflection in a mirror from a room where someone has recently died, they will die soon too.

It is said that if ghost wanders your home during the night, a mirror can capture it.

What to do when you break a Ghost Haunted mirror!?!

Go to the nearest Haunted Cemetery place a piece of the mirror on a grave or on top of a tomb or headstone and the hex will be lifted right away.

Directly after breaking the mirror, turn around three times counterclockwise. Then three time clockwise. Go to a church and get holy water and bless the spot where it broke. And say aloud 9 times:

"Spirit ,specter, ghoul, or ghost, Fear now the power of God and his blessed Host! Flee this spot where you were fallen and set free, and in your eternal rest you shall ever be!"

On the first night after breaking the mirror, light a blessed white candle on the spot where it fell.

Although viewed with suspicion by some, it is generally said that having a large number of Haunted mirrors around you is lucky. This is probably because it reflects your home and puts many ghosts walking through the reflected rooms

The Haunted mirror is symbolic among other things, when hung in a litchen or dining room. Hang one beside the table in the dining room or kitchen to attract wealth and food to the home.

No new mirror should be hung in the room a person has died in for 16 months after. And it should be a new mirror not one from another room that once caught their reflection.

Dining room and kitchen mirrors feed hungry ghosts or Voodoo Spirits. The reason is the beilef that the ghost eat the reflected food set out before them. Some cultures say this form of dumb supper taken from the southern style Marie Laveau Hoodoo Voodoo traditions. This works better in communicating with a ghosts and Spirits or Loa's that expect to be fed. And often the Ghosts will not be apeased until a banquet is set out before them.

If you see people you know who have died in your mirror but they have never been reflected in it until then. They are trying to warn you of something. Be carefull and ask for a message aloud at midnight. They will answer!

Posted Image

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

Hehe urban legends!

Personally, I believe a simply a reflective surface, and had little/nothing to do with the paranormal

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#3 CaniswalensisGStudy

CaniswalensisGStudy

Spongebob Swearpants

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:50 AM

Neat list.  I love to read about old school supserstitions like these.  You can see how some of the ones about candles and seeing the dead in mirrors are similar to scrying beliefs.  If you stare a a reflective surface by a dim, flickering light for long enough, I guess you can see just about whatever you want to. (or are afraid of seeing)   :-)
Posted Image

#4 RavenHeart

RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, Spiritual, and Supernatural, . Love Music, Camping, Horseback Riding, Cinema, Photography, Art, Native American Story-Telling. Kundalini Reiki, Holographic Quantum Physics etc.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:55 AM

There are many people who believe that a mirror can be a portal for spirits, but I do not think this is necessarily true! However, I have attended a Samhain ritual in which a mirror is used to contact the spirits/ghosts of deceased ancestors. This is done for entirely positive purposes. Personally, I believe it is rude to stir the dead, but Samhain/Halloween is believed to be the appropriate time to make contact. Usually it is done just to say I love you/miss you, or in an attempt to help the person resolve unfinished business.

I have always considered it a good thing to have lots of mirrors in the home because of the superstitious, (and thus, possibly ignorant), belief that mirrors deflect evil and attract positive energies. (it could also be viewed as a sign of vanity in the owner). I also like 'em cause they reflect light and can make a small home appear to be more spacious than it really is. *(I have always wondered about superstitions concerning a "hall of mirrors," where two mirrors face one another on opposing sides of the room, but I do not know of any, so if anyone knows, I would appreciate it if you would share).

Anyway, the bad thing is that there is a certain type of person, who for whatever reason, becomes fanatical about their beliefs and takes things to extremes and most of the time superstition arises from ignorance and fear. Still, all of the many superstitions surrounding mirrors does make me wonder if there is anything more to it than what most of us realize. At the same time, I will not run from a camera in fear that it will trap my soul any more than I would fear a mirror. *(I have to admit that I hate looking into one early in the morning when I first get up...now that is truly scary)!  confused0068.gif  hahahahaha

When we speak of seven years of bad luck for breaking a mirror, I think the fact that we broke the mirror IS the bad luck, but if we believe we are cursed then, in a way, we make this true by our acceptance of that belief.

Black mirrors are made and used by some folks for divination purposes and this is about as close to the paranormal as it gets, as far as I know.

I think that whether a mirror is good luck, a curse, or a spirit portal, remains largely within our own minds, rather than anything inherent in the mirror itself. (you are most welcome for my 2 cents). hee hee   blush.gif

Still HP, exploring these beliefs is fun and I fully appreciate that you shared what you have learned!

Thanks,
Picture 541.gif
Ravenheart

#5 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:04 AM

Broken Mirror = bad luck... is that mirrors used to be backed with precious metals, (to cause them to be reflective) so when the mirror was broken, it would take a long time (roughly 7 years) to save up for a new own.  By then one's reflection might be a bit of a surprise (darn' when did I get this old?) or not so much of a pleasant thing.

There is also an old tradition, where the family in mourning covers the mirrors... the origin as explained to me, was that "so you shouldn't worry about how you look when you are mourning..."  and "when mourning you are going to look a wreck and shouldn't see yourself that way."  

It's also not uncommon, in cultures where mirrors were rare/expensive items, for mirrors to either be a big deal (think European Palaces with big mirrors mounted on the walls)  to be able to display, or in other cultures (like parts of Asia) , because it's a rare/expensive item, it's put away or hidden/covered when not actually in use.

#6 Stuntmanyako

Stuntmanyako

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

I don't believe in the bloody mary stuff, but i've always been a little paranoid around mirrors. To bad my house is full of them because we need to reflect light due to lack of windows.  investigate.gif

#7 badbeerfairy

badbeerfairy

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:48 AM

We too have big mirrors anywhere we can fit one due to the house being very small and trying to make each room seem a little bigger, That said they don't bother me through the day but at night they give me the creeps (the sight of myself in short pyjamas maybe confused0068.gif ) which I think is from growing up reading way too many ghosts stories and watching scary films where people always see the ghost stood behind them in the mirror.  I didn't realise that there were so many different superstitions linked to mirrors though.

x x x
Light of eye and soft of touch, speak ye little, listen much.....

#8 Mikah

Mikah

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

Very interesting list and cool explanations of several things I wasn't aware of.

So, perhaps people when they sit "Shiva" cover the mirrors so they don't see themselves mourn? Hoping I spelled that correctly.

Another house full of mirrors here. We have three facing eachother. Big, gaudy, Italian Provinical ones. Often I find a coin fall out of nowhere on top of a mirrored mantel we have under the mirrors. I had a medal I lost of the Blessed Mother pop out of nowhere in the same vicinity so who knows?

Worse thing is if I'm standing and speaking to someone I'm looking at myself talk. Now that's a fright. LOL

#9 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:52 AM

Interesting stuff. Some of them I have heard but some were a first for me. I have a few books on superstirions I may have to break out and check out.

#10 badbeerfairy

badbeerfairy

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE(Mikah @ Jul 1 2008, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very interesting list and cool explanations of several things I wasn't aware of.

So, perhaps people when they sit "Shiva" cover the mirrors so they don't see themselves mourn? Hoping I spelled that correctly.

Another house full of mirrors here. We have three facing eachother. Big, gaudy, Italian Provinical ones. Often I find a coin fall out of nowhere on top of a mirrored mantel we have under the mirrors. I had a medal I lost of the Blessed Mother pop out of nowhere in the same vicinity so who knows?

Worse thing is if I'm standing and speaking to someone I'm looking at myself talk. Now that's a fright. LOL

We used to get the coins dropping out oh nowhere thing happen in a very spooky old house I used to live in.  Literally dropping out of mid air and landing by your feet, or they'd hit you on the shoulder etc on the way down.  It was always modern coins though, usually a penny.  I always hoped they'd drop something a bit more to match the date of the house one day but it never happened.

x x x

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak ye little, listen much.....

#11 Jamie_ayla

Jamie_ayla

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

I've never really been afraid of mirrors. I agree that they make homes look bigger. But still I avoid looking at the mirror during midnight potty breaks. Great collection of legends, I really enjoyed reading it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users