• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Barrington

Lord Barrington

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

I've always been interested in the paranormal, but had I known there was a real haunted location so close to my home before yesterday, I probably would have had a treasure trove of pictures and videos of the place by now....I should probably start from the beginning.

A man by the name of William Edmund Scripps purchased huge chunks of land in Lake Orion, Michigan starting in 1916.  He wanted to used this land for farming and raising livestock.  Apart from this, he founded a newspaper called Detroit's Evening News, and became very rich.

In the mid-20s, Scripps built a huge estate on a dirt path (that today is known as Scripps Road), adjacent to the farmland he purchased.

As the legend goes, a cook named Minnie lived on the farm and spent her entire life there.  Her death was nothing gruesome, but it is reported she still lingers in the area.

After Scripps died, this farmland was sold.  No more than 25 years ago, a rich entrepreneur came along and built a huge castle and shopping village on the former farmland.  The castle includes many restaraunts and banquest halls.  The village includes several shops, stores, a church, and a gazebo in which weddings and parties can be held.

The Scripps mansion is now used as a Catholic rehabilitation center, and is barred off to the public.

Canterbury Village, Scripps Mansion, and Scripps Road are all said to be affected by a widespread haunting.  A worker at one of the restaraunts in Canterbury was locked in a cellar, unable to make the door move.  A manager heard the mans shouts for help, went to help, and opened the door with ease.

Several groups of shoppers, passersby, and even eager teenagers have seen a white figure floating from the Scripps Mansion area, across Joslyn Road, and toward Canterbury castle.  That same apparition has been seen in various places around Canterbury.  It is said to be the ghost of Mrs. Scripps.

Other people have reported white figures chasing their cars while they drive down Scripps road at night.

And finally, and perhaps the most disturbing claim, is of a man who needed to get into Scripps Mansion to do some upholstery work.  He pulled his car up to the mansion gates, honked his horn a few times, and said the figure of a monk in brown robes appeared out of thin air somewhere behind the gates, brandishing his fists, and running toward his car.  The monk disappeared as soon as he reached the gates.

I've never had a personal experience with this place (as I only found out about it yesterday), but I have always thought the whole area was quite creepy.  Canterbury village and castle have always had a strange aura about it, even if it's only 20 years old.  The mansion itself is shrouded behind trees, shrubs, and stone fences.  It's quite invisible unless you pass directly by it.  And Scripps road is probably about the busiest dirt road you'd ever travel, but it too is surrounded by an eerie presence.

On a final note, I know of someone who recently perished in a car accident mere meters from Scripps road and the Canterbury property - when I was driving down Scripps road two days ago to go to the dentist, I saw two people out on the road whose car had apparently spun out of control.  I figured they must be waiting for a tow truck.  After finding out about the Scripps hauntings, I thought that maybe the spirit of the man who died in the car crash was unhappy with his death and wanted to make others experience what he had?

Nobody knows for sure, that's all I can say.  Maybe another spirit has been added to the Scripps collection, and will forever roam Scripps Road.
I wasn't lookin' but somehow you found me
I tried to hide from your love light
But like heaven above me
The spy who loved me
Is keepin' all my secrets safe tonight.

#2 rw1647

rw1647

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:18 AM

My aunt and uncle live in lake orion and I was there visiting them last march..We went to canterbury village (the christmas store is pretty cool) and drove around on the catholic place, since my aunt had never been up there.  I hadn't heard that it was haunted but it definately had a quite eerie feeling to it, even in the middle of the day.  I tend to be pretty sensitive to energy and it felt oppressive back there.  Thanks for posting about this...next time I'm there I'll be sure to see if I can spend some more time there.

#3 Lord Barrington

Lord Barrington

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE(rw1647 @ Jul 27 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My aunt and uncle live in lake orion and I was there visiting them last march..We went to canterbury village (the christmas store is pretty cool) and drove around on the catholic place, since my aunt had never been up there.  I hadn't heard that it was haunted but it definately had a quite eerie feeling to it, even in the middle of the day.  I tend to be pretty sensitive to energy and it felt oppressive back there.  Thanks for posting about this...next time I'm there I'll be sure to see if I can spend some more time there.

Thanks a million for posting!  You don't know how much I was hoping for someone with a connection to Lake Orion to come along and say they had an experience or some kind of strange feeling there.  What a stroke of luck  happy.gif

When you come back to Lake Orion and if you want to poke around Scripps Road outside of a car, you need to park in Canterbury Village.  It's really strange because the woods surrounding Scripps Road is property of the DNR, and all you need is a State Park Pass to park anywhere on it, but as of last month the police are coming around and ticketing anyone who parks on Scripps Road.  It's really bizarre.

The upholsterer who saw the monk apparition is actually a competitor of my dad, also an uphosterer.  My dad got into the detox center and made an estimate, gave the administrators his prices, but they turned him down and went with the other guy.

My dad said the place was like the creepiest place he ever went to.

Also - for anyone wanting to get a good look at the detox center from behind, walk down the PollyAnn Trail.  It crosses Scripps Road at the curve right by the Scripps property and the detox center.  But again, you won't be able to park on Scripps Road and go on the trail; my thanks sent out to the Oakland County Sheriff for that one!

Anyway, there is something behind the detox center that looks eerily like a TOMB.  My dad just says it's some kind of water or sewage pump, but the people who built it sure didn't waste any time making it the creepiest thing around.

That is all  bunny.gif
I wasn't lookin' but somehow you found me
I tried to hide from your love light
But like heaven above me
The spy who loved me
Is keepin' all my secrets safe tonight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users