Free Skins
© Fisana

Deceased Relatives Coming To You In Your Sleep?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 TruGSBeliever

TruGSBeliever

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

This has happened a few times to me as well. What intrigues me the most is that, after talking about deceased family members you would almost expect to have to have dreams about them, but sometimes my dreams just seem to "happen", which I believe to be either them trying to communicate or just some deeper underlying issue with that person that may need resolved.

The sad part is that there is no way to "prove" or "dis-prove"  whether contact is truly being made  or  what a particular visit may mean..

#22 Cambion

Cambion

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

I have only had this kind of experience once, and it was very recently. I have been attempting to contact a particular someone via meditation and dreams (someone who is not a relative), and I asked whoever was hearing me to visit me in my dreams. The first dream I had after that session - about a week later - dealt with me speaking to my grandmother, who passed away last summer. I don't recall a lot about the dream, but I do remember her looking as though she were lying on her death bed, but still was speaking very coherently. I don't remember a thing of what she said, but I definitely remember her words making sense. This is important because, in her final years, she succumbed to severe dementia and most of what she said didn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't know what the meaning of that dream was.

It also confuses me because, during my meditation, I found the person I was speaking to is/was a male...unless I received mixed signals.

#23 Mrs S

Mrs S

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, reading, walking.

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:58 AM

I had a dream where my husband's Grandmother and his Aunt came to visit me, they were in a clearing surrounded by trees and beautiful flowers and the sun was shining brightly through the tress. I had never had the opportunity to meet them in life but I had seen photo's of them so they appeared to me as they looked in the photo's. They said that they had a important message to give me. I walked towards them until they told me to stop, hubby's grandmother then said "Sarah you must not panic, you must stay and listen to what we have to say". Hubby's aunt then told me that someone I was close to was going to die. Who? I demanded but they would not tell me I asked for more information but again they wouldn't tell me all hubby's grandmother would say was "don't worry you'll have time to say goodbye".

A few weeks later I went to visit my own grandmother, I had slowly been going round all the family just to make sure I did see everyone just in case. As soon as I walked in I knew I was in the right place. My grandmother was quite clearly sick, she was having difficulty breathing and couldn't talk. My grandad explained that they had called their GP out several times who had said that it was asthma and had given her various types of inhalers. I wanted to take her to hospital there and then but she just shook her head and grandad said that she wouldn't go. I left feeling rather worried. A few days later I was told that gran was in hospital, I immediately went to see her and she was clearly worse than ever. I went to see her every day, and every day she was getting worse. She died on 21st May 2000. I found out later it was lung cancer.  Picture 518.gif I'm so glad I got that message from two people I had never met because I seriously believe that without it I would never have got the opportunity to say goodbye.
Images of long ago, memories you hardly know. A minor childhood incident triggering something deep below. Spiders webs and black cat, cockroaches and sewer rats, full moons and witches hats, creepy crawlies, vampire bats. Phobia, I'm talking about Phobia extract from the song Phobia from the album of the same name by the KinKs.

#24 Haunted

Haunted

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:36 AM

De-lurking to comment on this interesting topic.

I have had a couple of dreams about a deceased uncle, Jack.  He passed away in 2005 and his funeral was on my 30th birthday.  About two weeks later, I dreamt of a big family reunion, held at the usual place at my aunt's farm.  Everybody was there.  The aunts and uncles were all gathered together like they were going to have their picture taken.  Uncle Jack was standing there looking about 30 years younger than he did when he died.  He had a huge smile on his face and he looked so happy.  I was standing with his daughters, my cousins, and I was sobbing about how sorry I was that they had lost thier dad.  I felt that he was very happy where he is now, he was very sick with cancer when he died.

The next dream I had was about 18 months later.  I was dreaming that I was a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding and I was helping her get ready.  I noticed Uncle Jack standing to the side of the room, watching what was going on.  I went over to him and asked, "what are you doing here?"  He said a few things that I can't remember, then he asked if I had decided if I was going back to school, something I had been thinking about at the time.  Then he said, "well, you won't have time."  For some reason, still in my dream, I got so upset.  I started screaming at him, "what do you mean!"  He just stood there and smiled and wouldn't answer me.  I woke up very upset, I think I might have been crying.  I thought about what he could have meant, like was I going to die soon, or would I have a terrible sickness where I wouldn't be able to go to school?  On the positive side, I thought maybe he meant that I would have a baby and wouldn't actually have the time for anything else.  Luckily it was the latter, as two months later I was pregnant and gave birth to a healthy baby girl the following year.  And of course, I have no time for anything else, especially not school!

The most unusual thing about these visits, to me at least, is that we were not close at all.  I thought he was a rather mean person in life.  My sister and I were close with his daughters when we were very young, as we were all close iin age,  but as adults we really don't communicate at all.  

#25 CorisCapnSkip

CorisCapnSkip

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:50 AM

In my case, I think it's mostly dreaming about deceased relatives the same as I would living ones, but some of my relatives have dream experiences which seem, and probably are, real.

#26 iamshe

iamshe

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with water!!!!!!

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

WOW Tracy I never even thought of that.  And susan and miranda are even a part of that show.   I saw some footage of shiprocked and they look like they have the perfect marriage.  I remember seeing the GTB in Houston and I had been a fan of queensryche for 17 years at that point.   His guitar player jeff was flirting with me and told me he could get me a Hello to Geoff.  He went on the tour bus and then came back and said   "SUSANS RULES>>>> NO GIRLS ON THE TOUR BUS"   I was shocked... I'm no groupie ... just a fan of 17 years at that time... Kinda weird.       Take care my friend

#27 iamshe

iamshe

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with water!!!!!!

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

^^   I am so sorry everyone I posted this in the wrong place.   Im tired and i can't even delete it.   Again sorry for the dumb dumb ashamed0002.gif

#28 ChildofTwo

ChildofTwo

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Spiritualism
    Spirit Guides
    Spirits
    Ghosts
    Haunted Places/People
    History
    Movies
    Reading
    Drawing/Sketching

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

Since this thread was brought back from the dead (lol) I think I'll go ahead and share an experience I went through:

I  had a couple of experiences where a relative came to 'visit' me in a dream after they had passed a few months before. One happened to be my grandmother that I was extremely close to, and I couldn't move on from her death in April 2004, at the age of 87. She was literally like a true mother should be, and to this day I still believe she was the best person you could have possibly been raised by she gave me strength in so many ways as a child. Her death was a major blow to my life and even at the funeral I cried like a complete baby while everyone else around me managed to be calm for the service, which almost traumatized me, because I was anti-social and the entire thought of relatives I barely knew saw me cry made it worse. <--- I hope I don't sound horrible saying that.

My grief became too much for my grandmother, I think, because eventually grandma decided enough was enough. It was around her birthday when she came to visit me in a dream, which was in August (2004). My dream began where I had left my bedroom, located down the hall from the living room, where I was greeted with my family and my grandmother. My mother had baked a chocolate cake for my grandmother's birthday and we were just about to start the birthday celebration once everything was finished. She sat there in the same recliner I remembered her being in since I was a child (though different ones were given to her over the years) and we were both in a conversation together, but of course I've forgotten what was said there. I was so very happy with our chat, and I remembered how she just smiled at me. Eventually I was called by my mother and father to bring to cake to my grandmother I was so excited that I kept the repeated sentences of 'I love you' to her in my head even as I brought the cake over to her chair... she continued to just to sit there with a big grin across her face.  She blew out the candle after we sung happy birthday to her as usual with all of our family members together like we used to be... Just one big happy family.

Suddenly I was faced the realization that this had already happened, that this scene was a memory from a long time ago when I was about 9-10 years old, my grandmother had already passed a a few months back, and I wasn't a small child anymore. My world was crushed immediately and I felt like I couldn't breathe as I became overwhelmed with emotions. Her voice spoke up and said my name I rushed over to her side at the chair, like I did when I wanted to talk to her on occasion, and I acted like I did when I was that age I begged and pleaded her to come back. I even noticed as my  family disappeared  and the only ones in the living room were us, but I wasn't scared as she told me she was dead and she wouldn't be able to come back from where she was now, but that she was happy... I didn't take that as an answer and continued to plea to her that she had to come back because I missed her too much. She repeated again that her body no longer exists on this plane and she wouldn't be able to come back, but that she loved me with all her heart. She stroked my hair and cooed at me, and never lost that beautiful smile of hers... I cried harder but even though she didn't say much, her message was clear enough that I knew she wanted me to move on, even in the dream I could hear/see her say it.

All I remember at the end of the dream was a big push and a loving embrace from my grandmother and when I woke up the feeling never left until that morning when I saw my mother.

Side Note: At first I felt embarrassed by the fact that my grandmother actually had to  come and see me just to say 'You need to move on', so for a while I thought awful about myself until I realized she wasn't there to make me feel bad about the situation I was in, but that she just wanted to make sure I wouldn't stay in the same place all my life about her death. I love her so much to take the time and tell me that she was OK, and that she still loved me. smile.gif I really am glad... <3

Thank you for making this thread (and the guy for bumping it) so I could tell you my story! <3

Edit: By the way, this was probably one the first vivid, lucid dreams I had. Just saying this because I wasn't into lucid dreaming when I was young-teen and I didn't know much about it until last year when I had multiple lucid dreams with my guides.

Edited by ChildofTwo, 24 May 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#29 Sefer

Sefer

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:59 AM

Childoftwo, I'm glad you made that post, it made me smile.   Just like you, I was extremely close with my grandmother, and took it every hard when she passed away.  I'm a child of divorce, and when my dad was gone, she raised me as my mom had to work multiple jobs.  She instilled all of the values that I hold foremost in life, and even left me with a mischeivious streak a mile wide hehe (she was the trickster queen).  Reading this brought up a lot of memories and feelings, so thanks for sharing.  While I never had a dream of my grandmother comforting me, I did have one about a friend.

When I was 19, my closest friend from High School killed himself.  He'd recently distanced himself from all of us and got his head all messed up with a wild girlfriend.  Well, things got rough with her, and we all suspect he felt that since he'd pushed us away that he had no one.  I was pretty angry and distressed at it all for a while,  but after things began calming down, I had the dream.  I don't have very good dream memory normally, and about 99% of my dreams are incoherent nonsense, but this one stood out from the rest.  I was sitting a friends old house (which he had since moved from), and it was so vivid I even recognized magnets on the refridgerator.  We were talking when another friend knocks on the storm door at the side of the house.  He acts all goofy while entering just like he normally would, and suddenly says "Hey, look what I found!"  and just as he says this, my friend who'd killed himself walked in.   The whole thing was intensely realistic, even the emotions between all of us.  My dead friend told us how he's fine now, and happy where he is.   We talked for a while up until my alarm clock woke me up.  I don't think I could ever forget this dream, and after having it, I felt a lot better about the whole situation (though I still get pretty p/o'd when I think about him doing that).  

I really don't think my friend visited me in a dream, and I'm sorry if that seems skeptical.
While the dream did make me feel better, and I'll always remember it,  I really think my mind was trying to help me move on and live my life.  Thinking about that dream even helped to overcome a second suicide out of my High School friends, and even the passing of all my grandparents.   Feeling that our passed loved ones are somewhere being happy, regardless of what helps us towards that realization, is probably one of the most important feelings we can have in our lifetimes.  At least I think that way biggrin.gif
"The frog at the bottom of the well knows nothing of the vast ocean"  -Japanese Proverb

#30 ChildofTwo

ChildofTwo

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Spiritualism
    Spirit Guides
    Spirits
    Ghosts
    Haunted Places/People
    History
    Movies
    Reading
    Drawing/Sketching

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

Childoftwo, I'm glad you made that post, it made me smile. Just like you, I was extremely close with my grandmother, and took it every hard when she passed away. I'm a child of divorce, and when my dad was gone, she raised me as my mom had to work multiple jobs. She instilled all of the values that I hold foremost in life, and even left me with a mischeivious streak a mile wide hehe (she was the trickster queen). Reading this brought up a lot of memories and feelings, so thanks for sharing. While I never had a dream of my grandmother comforting me, I did have one about a friend.

Your welcome, and I really do feel like thanking the OP again for the thread because I felt all those raw (happy and sad) emotions again when I wrote the story of my experience about my dream where I was with my grandmother. I'm  really sorry about your friend's death at such an early age. I do understand that even though the dream itself was so realistic and filled with emotions, you decided it wasn't him, but your subconscious telling you 'move on' or 'feel better' about his death. I think that's perfectly fine because no matter what your personal interpretation on dream was/is, the fact still remains that you were given the opportunity to move on from that point which is a great thing! No one should be stuck in the mud when they're in such a horrible situation like the loss of a family member/friend. Everyone should be given the chance to move forward at least in some way, right?

Anyways, thank you for sharing your story, Sefer! biggrin.gif <3

#31 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

I'm glad this thread was revived, because I was thinking about sharing this story, anyway!

About 8 years ago my uncle passed away.  Even though it was a sudden heart attack, I think he had a feeling that his time was near, because he had asked my mom to come over a week earlier to help him go over some papers, and get all of his bills in order.  She couldn't make it that day, and had rescheduled...and showed up at his house to find him dead in bed.

My uncle had a beloved fluffy orange cat named Mozart.  That thing was the most hateful cat I've ever seen, but he was crazy about it.  He had set aside $5000 in his will for the cat's care, and asked my mom to take the cat for him if anything ever happened to him.

For the first few days after his death, my boyfriend and I came over to my uncle's home daily to feed the cat, clean its litter box, and make sure it had enough water.  He never came out from under the bed, so we decided to leave him in his natural environment as long as possible while the funeral arrangements were made, and the estate settled.

My uncle's daughter showed up from out of town to clean out the house, and arrange for it to be sold, and she said that she'd make sure the cat had food and water, since she'd be there everyday anyway.

About a week or so later I had a VERY lucid dream.  I dreamed that I was home when the telephone rang.  I went to answer it, and it was my uncle.  He gave me the usual greeting he always gave me, then asked if my mom was home.  I told him that she was out in the yard, and to hold on, and I get her.  He said to just give her a message from him.  That message was "tell her she needs to go get Mozart.  She promised to get Mozart, and he needs her."  I promised, and he said thanks and goodbye, and hung up.

What was weird about the dream was that in my dream, I KNEW he was dead, but I didn't think it was odd that he was calling.  It was all very natural, as if I received phone calls from the dead every day, lol.

I didn't think much of it, but maybe 2-3 days later I asked my mom when we were bringing Mozart home.  She got quiet, then explained that my uncle's daughter had objected to the $5000 trust fund for the cat.  My mom told her that she didn't care about the money...that we'd take the cat anyway, but my cousin said that her kids wanted him, so she'd just take him.

Probably against better judgment, I told my mom about my dream.  She immediately had me call my grandma and tell HER every detail about the dream.  Both of them truly felt that I did speak to my uncle in my dream.  My mom was really affected by it because she thought she had let him down, but didn't know what to do about it; she wanted to keep the peace in the family.

I may have gleamed this info from cryptomnesia...overhearing a conversation my mom had with someone, etc...but the vividness of the dream was unlike any other lucid dream I ever had, so it definitely is an event to remember.

Edited by LadyNBlack, 25 May 2010 - 12:46 PM.

October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#32 XSultryKittenX

XSultryKittenX

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

Excellent topic!  Keep 'em coming, guys, I absolutely love reading your stories.  They're very inspiring!

Here's mine.  My beloved Grandpa Norm died of cancer when I was just five years old.  Despite me being so young, I still have many fond memories of him.  He and I had a special connection; when my mom was pregnant with me, everyone in the family (including her) thought I was going to be a boy.  But Grandpa Norm knew better.  He insisted that it was his little girl, and when I was born, he spoiled me rotten.  He and my grandma would pick me up every weekend, and we did all kinds of fun things together.  

Cut to several years after his death.  I was about sixteen, and I had a dream one night that there was a family gathering going on at Grandma's house, and I was sitting at the head of the dining room table - Grandpa Norm's old spot. (I think that's significant in and of itself.)  My grandma, mom, and her brothers and sister were all sitting there.  And so was Grandpa.  He was right next to my mother!  When I looked at him, he beamed back at me with a tremendous, glowing smile.  He didn't say a word to me, but it was like there was a telepathic connection between us.  His smile told me that he was proud of me and loved me even in the afterlife.  I was very aware of the fact that he was not alive, and right after we shared that special moment, I turned excitedly toward my mom and tried to get her to look at Grandpa sitting beside her!  But when I looked back, the chair was empty, and Grandpa was gone.  Nonetheless, the dream left me with a feeling of immense peace.  smile.gif

One last story.  Our family dog, Riley, a beautiful golden retriever, passed away in the spring of 2005.  We all loved him dearly, and he died of a sudden and lethal disease at a very young age.  Some time after his death, my mom had a dream that he was lying next to her in her bed - this is actually pretty unusual, because my parents would NEVER let him anywhere near their bedroom.  And yet, my mom was so happy to see him there in her dream, she sat there petting him for the longest time.  She said she could actually feel the softness of his fur in the dream, and remembers it to this day.

The key quality of both of these dreams (and many of yours) is lucidity.  These dreams are often incredibly vivid and detail-oriented, and unlike most dreams, are very clear in meaning.  They seem to most often take place in the settings we'd expect our loved ones to appear in, not the unfamiliar and shifting settings of regular dreams.  There truly is a different quality to these visitation dreams, that's for sure!

Heather
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Madeleine:  Oh Scottie. I'm not mad. I'm not mad. I don't want
to die. There's someone within me and she says I must die. Oh Scottie, don't let me go.
Scottie: I'm here. I've got you.
Madeleine: I'm so afraid. Don't leave me. Stay with me.
Scottie: All the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users