24 replies to this topic

#1 Queen Creek Paranormal Soc

Queen Creek Paranormal Soc

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Obtaining proof that there is life after death

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:50 AM

"In 2002, renowned "ghost hunter" Carter Simms was offered five thousand dollars to conduct a paranormal investigation of the famous Masterson House." Paranormal Underground talking about the movie "Death of a ghost hunter"
http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopi...p;#entry5446593

I recently rented this film and was surprised by how good it actually was and would recommend it to any fan of Indy Films. It lays claims to being a true story of a woman that murdered her whole family and the spirits of the slain victims now haunt the home located in Queen Creek Arizona. The writers also claim that the "Famous Masterson House" is on Americas Top Ten Most Haunted Places.

I have done a little research myself and The Masterson House is NOT on Americas Most Top Ten Most Haunted Places which you may know includes such locations as The Myrtles Plantation as well as the White House for good reason. I was most dissapointed that I was only able to locate sites plugging this movie and a blog which was anticlimactic to say the least.

This story is an interesting one but I would suggest to those getting into this field or just like watching scary movies, dont beleive everything that you see. A writer or movie produer/director can say a movie is based on a true story if even one line that was used in the movie was actually said by someone. As far as further legalities of stuff ilke this I am not sure but am quite dissapointed that such claim was made on this story and I am not sure that it is even true.

If anyone knows anything about this story and would be able to shed some light on its truth that would be great. I will continue my researching and will update you as soon as I can find something to substantiate its claims.

Edited by Queen Creek Paranormal Soc, 08 December 2008 - 09:55 AM.

Happy Hauntings
Queen Creek Paranormal Society and Demonology Research Group
qcpsdrg@gmail.com

#2 Judecat

Judecat

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

Whenever a movie says it's based on a true story,  I always take that with a very large grain of salt -- after all Psyco,  The Texas Chainsaw Masacre and Silence of the Lamb were all "based" on the same true story -- but unless you actually knew the real story I don't think you'd be able to trace any of the facts based on those movies.  Likewise Last House on the left is supposed to be based on a true story,  when it reality it is based on a European film,  based on a local religious legend (about someone who was not religious came to build a church) -- so it's based on a true story if you beleive the local legend.
So I figure there is a haunted house somewhere,  where something happened that was used in one scene of the movie.  Or it could all be stories of a house somewhere,  but for legal reasons they can't tell you where the real house is.

#3 kathy-marie

kathy-marie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:being as immature as I can get away with lol , music progressive house minimal house techno house , favourite haunt digital newcastle, best DJ John digweed !!!

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

I just watched the trailer and am now logging off to head to blockbusters !!! looks CREEEEEPY  confused0068.gif
the time when kids need the most love is when they are being at their most unlovable !!! same goes for ghosts I say . in awe of all you guy's advice ....... listen to your elders xxxxxxxxxx

#4 HelenaHandBaskettGStudy

HelenaHandBaskettGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,305 posts
  • Interests:Reading, hanging with my best girl (my daughter), hanging with my best guy, hockey, music, the paranormal, and RHPS

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(Judecat @ Dec 11 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whenever a movie says it's based on a true story,  I always take that with a very large grain of salt -- after all Psyco,  The Texas Chainsaw Masacre and Silence of the Lamb were all "based" on the same true story -- but unless you actually knew the real story I don't think you'd be able to trace any of the facts based on those movies.  Likewise Last House on the left is supposed to be based on a true story,  when it reality it is based on a European film,  based on a local religious legend (about someone who was not religious came to build a church) -- so it's based on a true story if you beleive the local legend.
So I figure there is a haunted house somewhere,  where something happened that was used in one scene of the movie.  Or it could all be stories of a house somewhere,  but for legal reasons they can't tell you where the real house is.

I think that this is a very valid point. Anything can be "based" on a true story, and with creative licensing they could use one little tidbit of information pertaining to the story, and they'd consider it "based" on a true story.

I was looking for some info on it and have so far come up blank. Very interesting story though!

Posted Image

Dr. Egon Spengler: I'm worried, Ray. All my readings point to something big on the horizon.
Winston Zeddemore: What do you mean, big?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning's reading, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.
Winston Zeddemore: That's a big Twinkie.

#5 kathy-marie

kathy-marie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:being as immature as I can get away with lol , music progressive house minimal house techno house , favourite haunt digital newcastle, best DJ John digweed !!!

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

oooooo nooooooo !!!!! blockbusters don't have it in  verymad.gif
the time when kids need the most love is when they are being at their most unlovable !!! same goes for ghosts I say . in awe of all you guy's advice ....... listen to your elders xxxxxxxxxx

#6 karend40

karend40

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

I found a site where someone who lives in Queens Creek says the family murders are true but that the investigative team that went in 20 years later all came out alive.

#7 Judecat

Judecat

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:46 AM

karend40.
can you post a link to that site,  because I'm not finding anything except people asking if it's real.  Interesting that the first link I get in google is this tread.

#8 Sly-Spectre

Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

I saw death of a ghost hunter and it was okay. I just thought the director tried TOO hard to make the atmosphere creepy. And then there were things that should have been changed.
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
Jessie thought for a moment, his face expressionless as usual.
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

-Excerpt from my short story "Stabbed in the Front."

#9 Uetto

Uetto

Apport

• GS Member
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Reading Manga
    Writing (Drawing)
    Listening to Music
    Having Fun
    Watching Anime
    Studying Japanese or Latin

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

Yahoo Answers, answers all of our questions

#10 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

basic research rule-of-thumb...
if something purports to be a true account and all research turns up is references to the first account...   it's probably fiction or based so loosely on a true event as to not really even be related to it anymore.  

for example most first hand accounts of hauntings are NOTHING like the sorts of "Based on a true story" kind of accounts.  they're hardly on the same planet.

#11 glitterghost

glitterghost

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Photography<br />reading<br />writing<br />researching<br />As far as ghosts go, I am most interested in EVP's and residual hauntings. REAL ghostly photos fascinate me!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

I just saw this..rented it from Blockbuster.  Was really mad when i discovered it was FICTION.  There must be some loop hole in the law that allows producers, etc. to claim a movie is based on a true story when it isnt.
If people knew what was out there hunting them, they'd never leave the house. ~Grissom.

#12 Sly-Spectre

Sly-Spectre

Larry

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Drinking, Eating, Sleeping, Partying, Pool(Billiards to you Englishmen) and...Ghosts and Cryptozoology.<br /><br />I'm on Facebook look for Gerry Nix

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(glitterghost @ Aug 22 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just saw this..rented it from Blockbuster.  Was really mad when i discovered it was FICTION.  There must be some loop hole in the law that allows producers, etc. to claim a movie is based on a true story when it isnt.

Yeah it's called "name dropping" Think about that recent Amityville Horror with Ryan Reynolds. House is true. Name of the family is true, murders were true. Ryan reynolds going after his family because he got soaked in blood by a native-american-abusing-psycho-priest? ....eh...probably not...

Or hell what about most recently "A haunting in Connecticut." Yeah that's all true...even the gold smokey stuff the  breathed out... th_sarcastic_blum.gif
"Something weird is going on Jess." Simon whispered as they waited to be served. "I overheard Sara and Hector say something about 'getting back at you' in the library this morning."
Jessie thought for a moment, his face expressionless as usual.
"That's just crazy." he said. "I didn't think you even knew where the library was."

-Excerpt from my short story "Stabbed in the Front."

#13 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

I've also noticed that as accounts travel up the levels of media... the stories change, get more involved and more frightening.

Ghosthunters: We have had weird stuff going on, and the kids are scared, can you come by and verify/debunk what is going on.  Everyone seems rational (within normal ranges), and there are careful ways the GH team either says "You have something here, but it doesn't seem threatening."  Or "oh gee, we noticed some odd stuff too, but think it has normal causes, you might want to get X fixed."

Haunting: Same people, same account ratchetted up several notches, scary reinactments... boogedy boodedy.

Movie: "BASED on true events":  scary factor ratchetted waaayyyy up (ie: unmistakably creepy things that if the were that blatant there would be NO question of haunted or not... or the existence of ghosts.).... fear /adrenaline factor rachetted up.  Special effects that leave the paranormal entities ENVIOUS....

After awhile, some of these look like "Milking it for all it's worth".

I'm also annoyed when things that are either Mostly fiction, or Entirely fiction are pretending to be Non-fiction.  ( _St Francisville Experiment_, does the same thing...)

Edited by trin, 24 August 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#14 Judecat

Judecat

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(glitterghost @ Aug 22 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What law would that be?  And how would you "prove" that it wasn't "based" on a true story,  since there is no rule about how much of the true story needs to be involved.
See my above post of about "Texas Chainsaw",  Silence of the Lamb,  and "Psyco".   They are all three "based" on this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein -- yet none of those three movies are exactly his story.

And what would such a law do with "The Blair Witch Project"?  That one was totally fiction,  but it advertised itself as a documentary.

#15 Dutch

Dutch

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

There is truth to the Masterson haunting. My friend has been in Arizona real estate for over 10 years, he recently told me about this house in QC that has had an enormous amount of trouble being sold, its been on and off the market year after year. He than began to explain it was haunted and was associated with the Masterson haunting, the only difference was the last name of the family was not Masterson and that several deaths DID occur in this house, the house was purchased and protected by the new tenants lawyers from slander and libel, hence is the reason why NOTHING can be said about this house and its horrid past.

Here is the actual house, check out the bars on the windows and front door,he said this was to keep people from getting in to check the place out, since rumors have become truth, this haunting actually is believed in QC amongst the locals .  

http://www.trulia.co...-Creek-AZ-85142

Edited by Dutch, 02 September 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#16 mainemom207

mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:History of places, haunted or not..
    Love cooking and making new things and new recipes are always fun! And well.. Love Cemeteries and Folklore and Love to hear of the History of the United States as well as Abroad.. which has a vast history all by itself!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

Dutch well thank you for sharing with us the home details what a beautiful home inside and out.. too bad it is haunted.. wow!
You know as popular as it seems to people to own a haunted home I am surprised this has not been bought. Reason why for the Short Sale too.. usually Short Sale homes it is because of hauntings or something is definitely wrong with it..
Again thanks for sharing that with us..
I am not sure if i have seen the movie but it is like all the rest of them I am sure.. sort of true.. like Haunting in Conneticut and Amityville, and others..
I will have to look up the movie and see if I have seen it before but it does sound familiar.
Interesting points though and thanks again for starting this topic, very interesting indeed!
Interested in spirits and the history of places..
Peace and Blessings, Lynne'

Posted Image

#17 deepplum

deepplum

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

View PostDutch, on 02 September 2010 - 08:53 PM, said:

There is truth to the Masterson haunting. My friend has been in Arizona real estate for over 10 years, he recently told me about this house in QC that has had an enormous amount of trouble being sold, its been on and off the market year after year. He than began to explain it was haunted and was associated with the Masterson haunting, the only difference was the last name of the family was not Masterson and that several deaths DID occur in this house, the house was purchased and protected by the new tenants lawyers from slander and libel, hence is the reason why NOTHING can be said about this house and its horrid past.

Here is the actual house, check out the bars on the windows and front door,he said this was to keep people from getting in to check the place out, since rumors have become truth, this haunting actually is believed in QC amongst the locals .  

http://www.trulia.co...-Creek-AZ-85142

Actually, I find it highly unlikely that the house would be "protected from slander and libel" as you can't put a gag order on the whole world, or even all journalism, people are allowed free speech and the utterance or writing would have to be tried and deemed libel or slander.

This is false. The movie never claimed to be "based on a true story" it just presented words in the beginning of the movie that built up the story, much like paranormal activity did. It was a low budget, poorly acted movie with an interesting plot and AWFUL sound. The writer MAY have pulled from some stories they heard, but they did not claim that this was the presentation of a true story.

Also, bars on windows/doors are pretty common if you live in an area where you want to leave them open but may have wild animals that could get in.

View Postmainemom207, on 04 September 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

Dutch well thank you for sharing with us the home details what a beautiful home inside and out.. too bad it is haunted.. wow!
You know as popular as it seems to people to own a haunted home I am surprised this has not been bought. Reason why for the Short Sale too.. usually Short Sale homes it is because of hauntings or something is definitely wrong with it..
Again thanks for sharing that with us..
I am not sure if i have seen the movie but it is like all the rest of them I am sure.. sort of true.. like Haunting in Conneticut and Amityville, and others..
I will have to look up the movie and see if I have seen it before but it does sound familiar.
Interesting points though and thanks again for starting this topic, very interesting indeed!

No, actually, a short sale usually has NOTHING to do with "hauntings or something... definitely wrong with it..." and everything to do with a homeowner attempting to avoid the devastating effects of forelosure. As wiki puts it so well a short sale "is a sale of real estate in which the sale proceeds fall short of the balance owed on the property's loan.[1] It often occurs when a borrower cannot pay the mortgage loan on their property, but the lender decides that selling the property at a moderate loss is better than pressing the borrower."

There's lots of short sales happening, especially now, and I doubt even 1% of them are due to a haunting.

#18 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

Wow. The house is on sale for only $220,000 and a $1300 a month mortgage? Thats incredible. In New Orleans, rent is at least $1000 a month for a decent place.

What a beautiful HUGE house. I'd love to own it but am not willing to move to AZ. Its almost worth the possibility of ghosts.

Edited by totalia, 28 October 2010 - 10:54 AM.

#19 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

$195,000 is a steal for a ranch house built in the 70's. Native here in AZ, and my father was a realitor / broker / property manager from 1972 - 2006. For some reason he thought I would be doing the same thing, taught me the ropes....lol.....If you're in New Orleans, stay in Louisiana. The pay is greater there than here and the cost of living is cheaper. Also unemployment is down where you are. Plus since I've been checking (2007) the homes are much cheaper over there than here.

Also being a native here (need to check archive newspaper clips) I don't remember hearing anything that devastating happening in QC in the 80's. Arizona was pretty much still a "small town" state till about 1991 when everyone decided they have to live out here. So when something of that magnitude happened, it would be plastered everywhere. Now I'm not saying that house isn't haunted, what I am saying is that if it is it's probably not from murders. And for it being a famous haunt in AZ.......I've been studying this subject for almost 25 years. And just digging up haunted (public or private) places in AZ, I would have come across a "famous" haunted house especially in QC area.

And on the short sell issue. We're still having problems in AZ and a lot of people are losing their houses still. Short sell is just so you can get out of it. For example. I bought my  1800 square foot home in 2001 for $132,000. It was worth $175,000 then. When the housing market was really good it was worth $285,000. Now 2yrs after the market fell I'll be lucky to get $120,000 if I sell now. I could prolly get $115,000 if I'm lucky. Now, that's less than what I owe on the house, but if I put it up for the amount needed to pay my mortgage off and taxes, it'll never be bought since it's higher than what's selling in the neighborhood. But if I need to get out of this house (ie move due to job relocation, etc) I would have to short sell it just to be rid of it and pay the difference of my mortgage and taxes off in a couple of payments.

#20 brewingaz

brewingaz

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Where is this house at? I live in Gilbert, heard of this home, and would love to drive by at least once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users