24 replies to this topic

#21 Judecat

Judecat

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

Just to add to the thoughts about "based on a true story" -- I just read a  novel, set in the ealy 20th century,  about a guy and his cousins being involved in murder and mayhem in order to get the family business back from a distant family member,  whose branch of the family used Murder and mayhem to take over the business three generations earlier.   The main Character is named Edward, son of Richard,  brother of Edmund,  George and Richard the rival CEO is name Henry,  husband of a french woman name Margret.  Also Henry is quiet insane.   Now this book is in fact based on a true story,  and people familiar with English History would be real quick in figuring out what it's based on. But if it were a movie, and billed as based on a true story most people would just assume that the events of the story really happened in the Early 20th century,  and would be searching Google to find the name of the Company given in the book,  or they would be trying to figure out the "real names" and who the "real CEO was",  when in fact the entire story is a retelling of the War of the Roses.

#22 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

Sounds like a good book, what's the name of it? I would like to see how they modernize the telling. :)
Lets hope if they ever make that book into a movie it won't be as bad as that Leonardo Di'Caprio Romeo & Juliet. lmao

We could say that the "documentary" was based on an accumulation of real cases, haunted and serial killer, and that they put the location in a state and city that doesn't get talked a lot so people can easily believe it's real. If they based it in say the Garden District of New Orleans this thread wouldn't exist.

To me, this "documentary" is a retelling of "Legend of Hell House". Not only is it a great book, but a wonderful movie that thankfully hasn't been remade into trash like "The Haunted".

Who knows, it could be loosely based on a true story, but not from AZ. Unless some one can come up with paper clippings (most likely from the Republic or Tribune) that shows otherwise. Like I said, in the 1980's out here we still were like a small town atmosphere and if something of that magnitude happened, it would've been the only thing talked about for a while. lol

Come to think of it, I had to recheck the date of the "murders" that happened in Queen Creek. They supposedly happened in 1982........what I didn't think of during my first post was that QC is a "new" city. I couldn't remember the date when it started so I had to double check. QC didn't start till 9/5/89.....before then we just called it "the Boonies" or BFE (butt f@#% Egypt). There were ranchers here and there but that was it.

Long story short, if anyone is interested in hauntings in QC just google it. You won't get anything except for Halloween Haunted Houses (ie The Nest). And, just for fun, google Ghosts of Queen Creek AZ and you'll find there's an actual street name Ghost Rider St......lmao

But seriously, if anyone's truly interested in haunted AZ, go to theshadowlands.net, They tend to be pretty accurate on what's going on. But since it's based on people giving them updated info still google AZ or a particular city in AZ. :)

#23 Judecat

Judecat

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

View Postmonzaria, on 23 January 2011 - 07:56 AM, said:

Sounds like a good book, what's the name of it? I would like to see how they modernize the telling. :)
Lets hope if they ever make that book into a movie it won't be as bad as that Leonardo Di'Caprio Romeo & Juliet. lmao

We could say that the "documentary" was based on an accumulation of real cases, haunted and serial killer, and that they put the location in a state and city that doesn't get talked a lot so people can easily believe it's real. If they based it in say the Garden District of New Orleans this thread wouldn't exist.

To me, this "documentary" is a retelling of "Legend of Hell House". Not only is it a great book, but a wonderful movie that thankfully hasn't been remade into trash like "The Haunted".

Who knows, it could be loosely based on a true story, but not from AZ. Unless some one can come up with paper clippings (most likely from the Republic or Tribune) that shows otherwise. Like I said, in the 1980's out here we still were like a small town atmosphere and if something of that magnitude happened, it would've been the only thing talked about for a while. lol

Come to think of it, I had to recheck the date of the "murders" that happened in Queen Creek. They supposedly happened in 1982........what I didn't think of during my first post was that QC is a "new" city. I couldn't remember the date when it started so I had to double check. QC didn't start till 9/5/89.....before then we just called it "the Boonies" or BFE (butt f@#% Egypt). There were ranchers here and there but that was it.

Long story short, if anyone is interested in hauntings in QC just google it. You won't get anything except for Halloween Haunted Houses (ie The Nest). And, just for fun, google Ghosts of Queen Creek AZ and you'll find there's an actual street name Ghost Rider St......lmao

But seriously, if anyone's truly interested in haunted AZ, go to theshadowlands.net, They tend to be pretty accurate on what's going on. But since it's based on people giving them updated info still google AZ or a particular city in AZ. :)

The name of the book is Ravenscar by Barbara Taylor Bradford.

I don't find theshaowlands to be all that accurate -- since they do NO investigating on there own,  they just post things that people send to them,  and I know for a fact that several of the items they have are urban legends (the same story told about multiple places , or totally fraudulent.  (at least they have finally added a disclaimer since the last time I looked)
Like George Fox Middle school which is supposedly haunted by the ghost of one of the principals who died and was [you]buried under the school[/you].   The ghost is seen walking the halls in the middle of the night (who's in the place in the middle of the night to actually see her-even the custodians get to go home in the evening.).   The fact of the matter is the school wasn't built until 1949,  and by that point in time NO ONE was going to be legally buried under any public building unless we're talking about a church crypt.   They won't respond to corrections,  even when they get a place name wrong,  and list ghosts in nightclubs which never existed Baltimore.  So basically while I might decide to read that site for entertainment,  I'm not using it for a factual reference

#24 jadewik

jadewik

Orb

• GS Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Parcel information should be available on the Maricopa County Assessors page. I did a quick look up on the property listed above (The Via Del Arroyo address)... the house has only been providing property taxes since 1993. Though, the plat map (Book 157, Page 17) was sealed in Sept 1972 and approved in November 1972-- that means the land use was divided up at that time and had no houses on the land at that time. The current owners bought the place in March 2006. I couldn't figure out how to look up past property owners.

How far back does the story go?... If it goes further back than the 1970's, then it's bunk. The house doesn't even go back that far.

Where'd that address come from anyway? Just curious as to where and how that address came about. Word of mouth? I know there was a house in my neighborhood that was the home of a suicide in the mid 1980's and people were always saying that it was "haunted"... but it wasn't really. I knew someone who moved into the place years later and she didn't say anything about anything creepy. Gotta love how stories come about by gossip and word of mouth. If that is the house-- neato.

I lived in "P-Town" for 15-ish years. My brother used to live in Queen Creek until recently. I can't recall ever hearing of this house... unless, maybe, it was in that "Weird Arizona" book and I glazed over it? Then again, I'm seeing a lot of less publicized places on this website. I only just discovered the macabre truth behind the Winnie Ruth Judd house too... so, who knows, I could just be outa the loop... I'd be interested in reading more about this story if anyone knows more about it. =)
The Witching Hour - A Blog to Sate Your Thirst For the Paranormal

#25 Judecat

Judecat

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

I honestly don't believe this movie is any more real than "The Blair Witch" movie. If any of it was remotely true,  then why is there no information available about any of it.  A murder like that would have been in the newspapers all over the place in the 1980's,  and for sure the death of a ghost hunter would have been all over the media,  certainly all over the internet.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users