34 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwilady

Kiwilady

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

I was wondering how many people have this happen at night.

My solid queen-sized bed shakes at night sometimes.  It happens usually within an hour of going to bed but I have been woken in the middle of the night with it.  It happens both when I am alone and when my husband is with me.  I first noticed it about 15 years ago after our beloved spaniel died and I presumed it was him.  Our bed was quite lightweight then and when the dog jumped up and scratched his ear the bed would shake and move with him.  Anyway thats what it feels like.  Over time that sensation dwindled from being most nights to maybe once or twice a month then petered away to very occassionally.

We have now lived in four different houses and have had three beds and the nightime shaking subsided but has returned.  The first of the recent episodes felt like someone had banged into the bed while walking.  Now it is back to the bed  shaking like a dog was having a good scratch!  I know this sound odd but untill quite recently it didn't dawn on me that the bed was actually shaking, I would just wake and think "Oh something banged into the bed" or "That feels like the dog scratching on the bed".  I think because it has been happening for such a long time and nothing scary has happened with it it doesn't worry us.  It doesn't last very long ,sometimes only 1 second and other times maybe 5 or 6 seconds.  

I would be interested if anyone else has had this happen.

Kiwilady Kiwilady

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

http://hauntedauckland.com

#2 Kayhdelo

Kayhdelo

EVP

• False Positive
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

I've had it happen before... When I was about 6 or 7 years old my mother, my brother and I lived in a trailer that we believed to be haunted.  Everynight I'd lay in bed trying to fall asleep and the bed would start shaking.  It felt as if someone had ahold of one of the legs and was just shaking the poo out of it.  I'd yell and tell my mom, but she'd always tell me it was my imagination... That was until her friend stayed the night (well, most of the night anyway ).  The lady slept on the pull out sofa and when we got up the next morning she was gone.  When my mom saw her at work the next Monday, the lady said she was woken up by 'someone' shaking the bed and it scared her so she left.  My mom never had it happen to her, but it happened to me everynight.  Just thinking about it gives me chills!  I hated that place and was so happy when we moved.  It hasn't happened to me since.

We always felt that whatever/whoever it was just wasn't happy at all that we were there and was trying to scare us.  Needless to say it worked : )
Just because you can't see something, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist... Just because you can see something doesn't make it real

#3 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

had an incident a few years ago, I wasn't feeling well when I went to bed. and when I laid down I heard music. Not my sort of music either. I sat up thinking it was a neighbor (apartment complex) but it was quiet!  laid back down and STILL had music but another "station" and still not my sort of music, got up inspected around the bed for maybe a dropped radio or something. Zippo...   laid back down and music again...ANOTHER style of Not My Music.

mad off at this point, I slept on the couch... where it was quiet.

Never happened again, and I never figured it out.

#4 Lyns

Lyns

Orb

• False Positive
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:19 AM

This sounds familiar! wink.gif

I experience it every now and then.  It's fairly subtle and not violent.  Just feels like someone gently shaking the mattress.  Very hard to explain.

#5 kathy-marie

kathy-marie

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:being as immature as I can get away with lol , music progressive house minimal house techno house , favourite haunt digital newcastle, best DJ John digweed !!!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:24 AM

This happens to me a lot !!! I also wake up with a horrible sense of dread when it happens ,
I actually woke up a few weeks ago and it was happening , my heart was beating so fast that I wondered whether it was palpitations making me think that the bed was shaking but that it was really my body ?? !! I still had the terrible dread tho  cwy.gif
the time when kids need the most love is when they are being at their most unlovable !!! same goes for ghosts I say . in awe of all you guy's advice ....... listen to your elders xxxxxxxxxx

#6 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:49 AM

Shortly after my father died we had several episodes in our home.

The one I remember most clearly (because it was the most dramatic), my then-husband and I were lying in bed watching TV or a video.  The bed was shaking like someone was jiggling their foot or something and I really didn't think anything of it.  It annoyed my husband, though, so he said "stop shaking your leg".  I told him I wasn't.  "No, I mean it, stop shaking your leg."  "I'm not." "Yes you are, stop shaking your leg!  It's bothering me!"  I was tired of the back and forth so I flung the blankets back so he could see that I was lying perfectly still and then the bed REALLY started bouncing like someone was sitting at the foot of it bouncing up and down.  He kinda freaked out and said "what is that!!"  I said "It's just Dad saying 'hi'.  He's been doing it every once in a while since he died." and with that the bed stopped shaking.

Every time after that incident that ANYTHING happened in the house he told me to tell my father to cut it off. (no, that's not a typo, he wasn't a native English speaker... he also used to say things like "I'd like to pass by your house tonight if you're home" when we were dating and he meant stop over)

ArcusArcanum
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#7 Kiwilady

Kiwilady

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(Tantric Kitten @ Jan 31 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The bed was shaking like someone was jiggling their foot or something and I really didn't think anything of it.

Yes that what it feels like when my bed shakes!

Kathy Marie I don't get any feelings at all when this happens.  Most times I just look around to see if I can see anything and go to sleep.  I used to just think it was our dog visiting but that was when it usually happened just after I had gone to bed and would be settling down for the night.

Kiwilady Kiwilady

#8 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,262 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

I hope you are all proud of me. I've resisted temptation to make the obvious joke in reference to the topic                    biggrin.gif

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#9 Lyns

Lyns

Orb

• False Positive
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Jan 31 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope you are all proud of me. I've resisted temptation to make the obvious joke in reference to the topic                    biggrin.gif

Do it anyway wink.gif I could always use a good chuckle!

#10 Beatlefish

Beatlefish

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, conspiracy theories, real life mysteries.

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

It hasn't in a long time *knocking on wood*.  I have moved and gotten a new mattress....so not yet lol. I used to feel  my cat sleeping by me also.....I kinda miss it. .....I wonder if she will sleep with the new tenants laugh.gif The cat died years ago btw.

Edited by Beatlefish, 31 January 2009 - 05:18 PM.

#11 Kiwilady

Kiwilady

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Jan 31 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I knew someone (probably male ) would think of that!! rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty sure that I've ruled ALL possible reasons for the bed shaking.  ashamed0002.gif  

Kiwilady Kiwilady

#12 BlueRose3

BlueRose3

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

LOL @ Vlawde

My daughter when she was around 10 told me that just before she fell asleep her bed too would start shaking and was starting to get frightened by it. I told her it was nothing to worry about. That it was normal. I told her the next time she feels the bed shaking to concentrate on it and she will see that it wasn’t her bed that was shaking, it was her shaking. I explained to her that when you are falling asleep the body slows down but that your energy/spirit takes a little longer sometimes to slow down too. So with your body vibrations slowing down but your energy/spirit still vibrating faster it feels like it’s your bed shaking.

I do believe some spirits will move or shake your bed but I didn't think that this was what my daughter was experancing.

Anyways she understood what I was talking about and a few days later she came running up to me all excited and said “Your Right Mommy! It’s not the bed shaking!”  which I was very happy to hear. LOL…

So my daughter was able to sleep after that without fear that some ghost was shaking her bed. smile.gif

#13 AmethystLongcat

AmethystLongcat

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

I remember waking up one night during an earthquake and I still thought I was asleep because it was still dark and there was that rumbling noise in the air. Mum came in and was like " Can you feel it?" and I sorta said yeah and rolled over.

The next morning I woke like " The filth flarn flarn filth happened last night?". During the rest of the week everyone was wetting their pants with how awesome it was.
Ferocious Toaster

#14 Avaren

Avaren

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

Some times i feel my old cat come a lay on the bed next to me other than that no shaking.
~The more we learn the less we know~

#15 Stacy

Stacy

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:My main interest is my children! But I am interested in all things paranormal. Ghost hunting is my favorite hobby!!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

One of my sister's used to have this happen almost nightly, from 9-10 years old, up until she was an adult.  I don't know if it still happens to her or not, but her 12 year old son experiences it pretty frequently, and has since he was 3 or 4, and now along with it he can hear a little girl calling his name.

#16 Jester243

Jester243

Ectoplasm

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Aviation photography and all manner of things that I cannot easily explain.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

In our old house my son would experiance his bed shaking.  It never woke him but at night when you walked by his room you could hear the bed, ever so slightly rocking.  You could put your hand in it and feel the bed move, it was wierd.  The bed would shake even if he spent the night at a friends or at Grandma's house.  He also told me once he woke up and saw a large black man in his doorway just watching him.  He still has the same bed but in the new house it does not shake smile.gif.  We fould later that there was a driveby shooting and a young black man was killed in the livingroom or the kitchen depending on which neighbor you talked to.

Edited by Jester243, 02 February 2009 - 02:17 PM.

Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me...Can't sleep Clowns will eat me...Can't sleep Clowns will eat me...

#17 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

I have not myself had this happen to my bed but have investigated cases in which beds have been reported to shake. Only one case did I get the privilage to see this for myself and it was very very interesting to say the least. We had ventured into the spare bedroom of the home to find the guest bed jerking like someone was trying to lift it unsuccessfully. We could find no source for the disturbance.

#18 godislove

godislove

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

One word: demons

I have seen them and been tortured by them, they are real
that sense of dread? yep, that's them!
pray till they go away
the devil is already defeated, so they have to go-
'resist the devil, and he WILL flee from you'

Godislove

#19 Kiwilady

Kiwilady

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(lorddraven2000 @ Feb 4 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have not myself had this happen to my bed but have investigated cases in which beds have been reported to shake. Only one case did I get the privilage to see this for myself and it was very very interesting to say the least. We had ventured into the spare bedroom of the home to find the guest bed jerking like someone was trying to lift it unsuccessfully. We could find no source for the disturbance.

I had always thought of bed shaking as something like you describe.  When I've read of bed shaking incidents I've always imagined a violent shaking rather than the almost quivering or bumping that I sometimes experience.

Kiwilady Kiwilady

#20 cafemex

cafemex

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:The unexplained (for lack of a better term), computers, traveling, sports, crossword puzzles, sudoku, and beer.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:27 AM

Several years ago, I had a spiritual entity harass me during sleep by hitting or pushing the bed, to keep from having a sound sleep. Not quite shaking, but similar enough...
"And dreams are the language of God. When he speaks in our language, I can interpret what he has said. But if he speaks in the language of the soul, it is only you who can understand"
-Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users