• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lyns

Lyns

Orb

• False Positive
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hey guys.  You may be familiar with my Apartment thread.  I think that I may have something living with me, and I've recently been doing a little research on EVP.  Some of the things I've heard suggest that doing EVP can cause problems and invite trouble.  For instance, it can open up a "window" that maybe I don't want to have opened.

I'm curious to get more information on EVP before I actually do it, and figured what better place to do it than here.  If it's not particularly dangerous, how would you suggest one set it up?  Dark room?  Candles?  Or just do it outright?

Thanks for all your help in advance! smile.gif

#2 Flubby

Flubby

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel, music, film making, and audio production.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

A good question, Lyns! smile.gif

EVP does connect to the spirit world in a way, but if you step back and think about it, doesn't simply talking to spirits open a "hole" so to say?

Now, if you're referring to opening a portal in your home, I'm sure it wouldn't be considered impossible. It's just another risk you have to take when you make the decision to investigate with EVP.

As for it being dangerous, that all depends. As you described in your apartment thread, nothing "violent" had happened except for things being touched and knocked over. I wouldn't be worried about it, and I'd go ahead for the investigation. Make it clear at the beginning of the EVP however that you mean NO harm to whoever inhabits the apartment with you, and that you'd appreciate it if they'd give you room to live with them. Do not use ANY provoking, and speak kindly to them. Let them know that you respect them, and you'd love for them to respect you back in a friendly matter. Joke around a little bit and make light of the situation, and then continue into asking them questions.

I wouldn't fool around with fancy candles and set any seen, just talk to them like you'd be talking to them face-to-face, you know? In my opinion: If the spirit seems potentially violent, making them feel all special and out-of-place isn't going to aid you very much in your chance to make a friend out of your "room mate".

For questions, let them know you're interested on knowing who they are, and you're 100% completely open to telling them a little bit about yourself as well, and let them know some information about you. You have to understand that in a potentially violent situation, you need to hit both sides of the "conversation" and let them know you're a very inviting, friendly, and caring person.

Past that point, I have no advice to further stimulate a non-violent situation. However, I DO wish you good luck with the investigation, and encourage you to post any findings in the Sharing forum for us to examine. Something tells me this is going to be a good case if you decide to carry out an EVP session. smile.gif

~Flubby

"Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything."
~Benjamin Franklin

#3 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

just do it outright, candles/dark rooms etc are not necessary and (MO) have nothing to do with getting EVP's.

I wouldn't worry about it opening up any "window". If they are there, they are already there, soooo...

AAEVP says that for getting EVP's (not in a "haunted" location necessarily, but in your home) it's a good idea to do it on a regular basis, maybe daily or every other day, at the same time. If you get nothing initially, the likelyhood you will if you keep at it and are consistant increases

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#4 PSI-Jim

PSI-Jim

Ectoplasm

• False Positive
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid motor enthusiast. I undertake a lot of repair work, and enjoy racing. Aside from which I am the founder of PSI - Paranormal Study and Investigation, with whom I am a keen investigator.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

I would agree with what the guys said above.

If something is already residing in your apartment, then its there already. If you were 'commanding' something to come to you, that could possibly (not saying it would) open a portal and bring it through.

Much like a Ouija board, people channel to a spirit that isn't there already, the commanding the spirit to show themselves. This is opening a portal and letting all kinds of entities stroll on in.

I would say you have nothing to worry about. I've done many EVP sessions and never had any problems other than being cursed at. lol

All the best mate,

Jim

Remember there are no 'experts'. Anyone who claims they are is a fraud. We are ALL students, with varying degrees of knowledge.
Watch your favorite paranormal tv shows for free at the link below!
PSI - Paranormal Study & Investigation
PSI - Discussion Forums

#5 kitti

kitti

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, write, and communicate with the 'spirits' or what every you want to call them. I do believe in spirit guides. I have two. One is Windslow and the other is Constentine.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

I myself have never done EVPs but I have learned that if you do feel that what you are doing could open a 'portal' then it is   sometimes good to imagine yourself in a white light. This white is your shield and it will protect you against what you are about to do, should anything bad try to hurt you. This is just something I picked up. I don't think that doing EVPs in your house will open anything as the entity is already there. I agree with all the guys before me. I hope that you post your findings on here. I think it would be cool to listen to some EVPs. I also hope that you have fun in your researching about your 'roommate' and I wish you the best of luck.
Kitti <3

#6 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE(Vlawde @ Feb 17 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just do it outright, candles/dark rooms etc are not necessary and (MO) have nothing to do with getting EVP's.

I wouldn't worry about it opening up any "window". If they are there, they are already there, soooo...

AAEVP says that for getting EVP's (not in a "haunted" location necessarily, but in your home) it's a good idea to do it on a regular basis, maybe daily or every other day, at the same time. If you get nothing initially, the likelyhood you will if you keep at it and are consistant increases

I would agree. I don't feel EVPs are as dangerous as some people would have you believe.

#7 Lyns

Lyns

Orb

• False Positive
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for all the great advice, guys.  I really appreciate it.  I figure I'll probably give it a whorl on Sunday if I can get a hold of the proper equipment.  I've just been too sluggish and lazy to do anything recently.. hehe silly me.

#8 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

I don't think EVP is inherently dangerous.  BUT I also wouldn't do it in my house.

If you're passively recording and reviewing the recordings in another location, there's really nothing that's going to come of that.  Even if you're reviewing in the same place... you might have an entity that's already there hanging over your shoulder watching to see if their voice got recorded... but there is absolutely no danger involved.

If you're trying to interact and trying to get entities to answer questions... they will figure out that you're interested in them and sometimes do escalate or even wander over (being interested in this stuff tends to send up some sort of etheric radar ping... depending on what's wandering by at the time that's sometimes not a great thing) but it is an extremely low-risk activity.

If you're calling them out and saying rude things to get them to respond and challenging them... that's not real smart.  I also don't really condone any sort of "mystical" or "religious" practices unless you devoutly believe in them beforehand because anything less is playing and playing with serious things is bad karma (so, yeah, no... don't burn candles or try doing a seance or anything like that).

I believe absolutely 100% that any entity cannot hurt you physically unless you allow them to.  But belief (even a little) that they can is an entry point to their convincing you otherwise.  And they absolutely can mess with your head.  So I think before you undertake an EVP session you should consider whether or not you are prepared emotionally for an escalation and you should absolutely call on your guides and angels and the higher power that you believe in to protect you and your home and not allow anything that isn't already there or specifically invited to enter (this is a good habit to get into anyway).

Really... so long as you don't become absolutely obsessed with it and aren't hoping against hope constantly that you have an experience... recording the goings-on in your home and then listening back is all you're doing.  There's no inherent danger.  Think before you go deep, however... because when you do it over and over and over again and are always looking for that ghost shot or ghostly message... you're inviting them in.

ArcusArcanum
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#9 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

I myself usually handle the EVP work in Dravenstar. I guess to me it is just fascinating to know even though you can not hear the entity it might very well be answering questions. I have never had any bad things happen as a result of doing EVP not have I ever been made aware of any within my team.

#10 Lyns

Lyns

Orb

• False Positive
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(lorddraven2000 @ Feb 20 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I myself usually handle the EVP work in Dravenstar. I guess to me it is just fascinating to know even though you can not hear the entity it might very well be answering questions. I have never had any bad things happen as a result of doing EVP not have I ever been made aware of any within my team.

Tantric kitten has made me a little nervous! Hehe

Any tips and hints you can give me?  Suggestions for equipment?

#11 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:22 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you nervous!

I have reasons for not doing it in my home.  I do this sort of work on an ongoing basis.  It really holds no fear for me anymore (though that one nonhuman entity my first time out with a group... I thought I was going to wet my pants).  I don't do it in my home because I have a son with special needs who really doesn't need to have anything messing with him and another, very psychic, preschooler who REALLY doesn't need me bringing home my work (there has been data I've had to turn over to someone else to analyze because he'll start screaming about the "bad man" on the tape when there's not even an audible EVP)!  Things do wander through simply because of who I am and the nature of what I do.  Sometimes they get a bit out of hand before I can deal with/help them.  My kids don't need that while they're growing up and finding out who they are.  They don't need to suffer the hazards of my work.  Anything I can do to shield them from my work, I do.  Keep in mind with this that I am FAR deeper into this than you will likely ever be.  For me, this is part of who I am and something I've dealt with my entire life and something that I have been called to do.

I just wanted to warn you that you don't want to become addicted to this and use your home as your experimenting grounds.  I have seen over and over people who watch programs like Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted do just that and then come crying to us every six months or year because they've picked up yet another nasty entity that they'd like us to take care of for them.  I didn't mean to say that it's unsafe in any situation... because guess what we do when we go into people's homes to help them figure out what's going on and try to help them deal with it?  I simply wanted you to know the risks and be cautious when you do it or to even consider having someone with more experience do it for you.

You can passively record certainly (and as often as you want... passive recording is absolutely nothing) and you can ask a couple questions if you'd like to try doing that to find out if you can get a name or whatever.  Those are safe.  Really.  If you really want an experience... go outside the home to find one, though.

Ask God to protect you and He will (please insert whatever belief system you have into my God terminology).  Ask that the loving white light of the universe surround and protect you and your loved ones and your home and it will.  Then, what I would suggest, is either going to the place where the most activity occurs and asking questions... "is there anyone here?",  "is there anyone who would like to speak to us?" "can you tell me a name?".  The best way to do the short questions is to explain how the recorder works, then hit record, wait 20 seconds or so, ask your question, wait another 20 seconds or so, stop recording and review.  OR you can put a recorder into the place with the most activity before you go to bed at night and put yourself in your bed and go to sleep (this is passive recording) and review it when you've got time throughout the next several days.  Any magnetic or digital recorder will work for this.  If you're buying something new, Olympus has a model that hot syncs to the PC for around $50 (very useful both for this and for voice notes, etc.) that you can get all over the place.

ArcusArcanum
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#12 Lyns

Lyns

Orb

• False Positive
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

I have a little question to pose to you guys.  I understand that spirits or what have you are very receptive to your feelings... I've had some.. really unpleasant things happen in the last little while; ended relationship, I found out I may be layed off in a few weeks.. health issues.. etc.   I still would like to try the EVP thing, but I'm guessing now wouldn't be a good time to do it.  I don't want to attract more negative energy to myself.

Thoughts?

#13 CuriousAngel81

CuriousAngel81

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:I love photography, reading a good book, nature, anything paranormal and music. An I love the challenge of trying to figure out my spiritual side and going through the process of find it. Lastly, I love to learn about very old mysteries, or on what you see on the national geographic channels.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

I do alot of passive recording. Meaning, I turn on my recorder right when I go lay down to sleep and let it run all night. I'm honestly to scared to really do it like Tantric Kitten, as of yet anyway. Just start off small and slow (like passive).

smile.gif

-A
"Something tells me I am not alone!"-A

My Evps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users