• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pennie07

pennie07

EVP

• GS Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:54 AM

I took a very close look at the photo of the brown lady of Raynham Hall believed to be the ghost of Dorothy Walpole, wife of Charles Townshend. I noticed what looked like very bushy looking long hair on both sides of shoulders, a neck scarf and a robed uniform when I darkened the pic and played with the contrast. Could it be the ghost of the Viscount himself that was descending the stairs? See if you can see what I see.
Attached File  raynam1.jpg   64.89K   117 downloads
Attached File  raynam.jpg   149K   107 downloads
Attached File  180px_Charles_Townshend.jpg   12.14K   39 downloadsAttached File  180px_CharlesTownsend.jpg   11.51K   38 downloads

#2 Judecat

Judecat

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:57 AM

Do ghost appear wearing their wigs?  I never really thought about it,  Does George Washington's ghost have his wig or not?  From what I can tell GW's brother in laws ghost is not wearing a wig,  as they describe him as Balding,  but then Fielding Lewis might be an exception.

#3 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

All the detail seen in this blur just looks like background things showing through it. The railings and whatever else is in the background are what is making up the bushy long hair. Irregularities in the brightness of the blur is doing the rest. This still just looks like a photo defect to me.

#4 AugustineGStudy

AugustineGStudy

Creeping Death

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,480 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

I've always loved this photo, but I concede that it should be approached skeptically (or at least with one's mind open to both possibilities) because these older B&W photos seem to be prone to anomalous blotches and blurs like the one we see here.

It's an interesting theory that the apparition in this photo--if indeed that's what was captured on film--may be a male instead of a female.  As far as ghosts appearing in their wigs, many people believe that ghosts have the option of "choosing" how they manifest (such as their clothing, grooming, and maybe even age and other physical attributes).  I don't see why a ghost wouldn't  appear with a wig.

Posted Image

Many thanks to SilentWalkerGStudy for the awesome banner!

#5 Judecat

Judecat

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE(AugustineGStudy @ Aug 2 2009, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see why a ghost wouldn't  appear with a wig.

I guess I was just thinking that the wig is not really physically part of them.  Like eye glasses,  do ghost wear glasses?

#6 AugustineGStudy

AugustineGStudy

Creeping Death

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,480 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(Judecat @ Aug 2 2009, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I was just thinking that the wig is not really physically part of them.  Like eye glasses,  do ghost wear glasses?

I'm sure there have been sightings of bespectacled apparitions.  The same thing goes for clothes (which are not part of the physical body either).  Since I'm not a nudist myself, I would like to think I could manifest with my clothes on if I came back as a ghost.   wink.gif

Posted Image

Many thanks to SilentWalkerGStudy for the awesome banner!

#7 Judecat

Judecat

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

I might go through the effort to manifest wearing cloths enough not to frighten people with the vision of my nekkid body confused0068.gif ,  but I think it might take to much energy to manifest more than the minimum of things that are not actually part of my body.  Seems it's hard enough to manifest a whole body to start with.  So I'll be the ghost without the glasses, shoes and "foundation garments" blush.gif

#8 mainemom207

mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:History of places, haunted or not..
    Love cooking and making new things and new recipes are always fun! And well.. Love Cemeteries and Folklore and Love to hear of the History of the United States as well as Abroad.. which has a vast history all by itself!

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(AugustineGStudy @ Aug 2 2009, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure there have been sightings of bespectacled apparitions.  The same thing goes for clothes (which are not part of the physical body either).  Since I'm not a nudist myself, I would like to think I could manifest with my clothes on if I came back as a ghost.   wink.gif

That made me smile big when I read that August!
Oh My!
Well I am a nudist I wonder???
interesting thoughts though..
Thanks for sharing the topic and posting the pictures you never know could be a mistaken identity.

Interested in spirits and the history of places..
Peace and Blessings, Lynne'

Posted Image

#9 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

Interesting theory!  I can definitely see what you mean now that you posted photos of the Viscount as a reference.  And I have to agree, there does seem to be a resemblance between the apparition in the photo and the pictures of the Viscount, so I have to agree that there is a possibility that the "Brown Lady" COULD, indeed, be him.

Elle

#10 PumpkinWraithGStudy

PumpkinWraithGStudy

1D's #1 Fan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Judecat @ Aug 3 2009, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might go through the effort to manifest wearing cloths enough not to frighten people with the vision of my nekkid body confused0068.gif ,  but I think it might take to much energy to manifest more than the minimum of things that are not actually part of my body.  Seems it's hard enough to manifest a whole body to start with.  So I'll be the ghost without the glasses, shoes and "foundation garments" blush.gif

So in a few hundred years from now, when there are paranormal investigations going on in your home,  They will have captured the ghost with the socks!?!

Posted Image

Signature created by SilentWalkerGStudy

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction.  Harry 4Ever!

#11 mainemom207

mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:History of places, haunted or not..
    Love cooking and making new things and new recipes are always fun! And well.. Love Cemeteries and Folklore and Love to hear of the History of the United States as well as Abroad.. which has a vast history all by itself!

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

happy0194.gif   Ghosts with socks! Oh my that just tickled me thanks for the comment on there Pumpkin wink.gif
Interested in spirits and the history of places..
Peace and Blessings, Lynne'

Posted Image

#12 PumpkinWraithGStudy

PumpkinWraithGStudy

1D's #1 Fan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(mainemom207 @ Aug 9 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
happy0194.gif   Ghosts with socks! Oh my that just tickled me thanks for the comment on there Pumpkin wink.gif

I try my best laugh.gif

I did notice that the outline of the head actually has a face just to the right of it,  I can't really point it out cos my pc keeps shutting down.  if you look where head has been outlined in black,  just slightly to the right I can see a face with a moustache.  It might just be my eyesight but it seems to me it might be right that it may not be the lady after all.

Posted Image

Signature created by SilentWalkerGStudy

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction.  Harry 4Ever!

#13 pennie07

pennie07

EVP

• GS Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

Yeah, this picture has always interested me, simply because it has the reputation of being one of, if not the most famous alleged photo of a ghost, but I never really looked at it in much detail. Then when I darkened it and contrasted it on my computer, I could see what looked like long bushy hair which reminded me of wigs the men used to wear centuries ago in England. So I did an image search of the husband of the woman purported to be in the photo and found some similarities, even in the clothing. It even looks like an old fashioned neck scarf under the chin. Just an interesting possibility.

Edited by pennie07, 09 August 2009 - 10:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users