17 replies to this topic

#1 BFG

BFG

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

I have an old desk bell that sits on my kitchen counter and the thing rings all by itself when I'm the only one here. freaks me out. I've tried walking by it and jumping around to get it to ring but it doesn't.It only seems to do it when no one is in the kitchen its strange. What could be causing it? anyone here have any idea or theory?

#2 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Spongebob Swearpants

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

I asume you are talking about the round silver kind with the button that you tap on top.

Those bells have a very simple mechanism that would not lend itself to ringing on it's own.

The best piece of advice I can give you is not to assume anything in this situation.  I would take pains to verify that the sound you are hearing is being caused by that bell and not something else.

I would get a webcam on that bell, if you can.  Failing that, try moving it or disabling it for a period of time and see if you still hear the ringing.  The webcam would be better, especially if you record audio at the same time.  That will most liekly show for sure what is happening.

Can you describe your home conditions more completely?  Do you live alone?  Do you have any pets, such as a curious cat that might be pawing the button and then running when they hear you beating feet towards them? Are you out in the country or in a city apartment?  

I hope this helps, Canis

#3 petunia4998

petunia4998

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

Here's another way of looking at it.  Spirits (not ghosts) are very fond of bells and sounding them to let you know they're around.  

It should not be a creepy thing because it's just their way of saying "hello".  More than likely it's your guide.   bunny.gif

#4 Amethyst

Amethyst

Official Ghoststudy Psychic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:41 AM

My mother died New Year's Eve 1977.  She was very ill and weak from cancer.  We lived in an old English Tudor home.  If we were downstairs we couldn't hear Mother call, so we got one of those desk type bells where you merely pushed the button and she could summon us.

I was living at home at the time helping to care for her.  I was about 22 at the time.  Right after she was buried we had a terrible blizzard.  We were literally snowed in.  My father and I were just moping around the house.  Both of us were reading.  I heard the bell start ringing.  I automatically jumped up to go see what Mom needed.  Then it hit me, she had died.  

My Dad looked at me and I looked at him.  We said nothing.  For about a week we continued to hear the bell.  We would actually go upstairs and look.  Of course there was nothing....outside of my mom's spirit  th_sarcastic_blum.gif

She would slap us on the shoulder, make the kitchen light swing back and forth and move things around for a few months.  Then she decided to leave.  She was only 60 when she died, and my father was beside himself.  They had been married for 37 years.

So perhaps you have a spirit that could be attached to the bell or just a friendly spirit that likes to go by and tap it.

Sounds logical to me!

Amethyst
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED THEN SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end the quicker it goes!

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" said the Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man.

#5 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:47 AM

I had a similiar bell, and experienced the same thing!  I agree that the bell ringing seems to be a sign that they are there and want to say hello.  

We got rid of the bell because it rang constantly and drove us crazy.  I recently put a new bell out, and it has been quiet.
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#6 mainemom207

mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:History of places, haunted or not..
    Love cooking and making new things and new recipes are always fun! And well.. Love Cemeteries and Folklore and Love to hear of the History of the United States as well as Abroad.. which has a vast history all by itself!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

What would be interesting is if you disabled this thing and it still went off now that would make me jump from my skin!
But I agree a camera on it.. would be kewl see what you get smile.gif

Interested in spirits and the history of places..
Peace and Blessings, Lynne'

Posted Image

#7 Tylwythteg

Tylwythteg

Apport

• GS Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:16 AM

I used to be awakened by a soft clinking of bells when my middle son was a newborn. I would hear the bells which would wake me up.  I'd lay there for a minute and then my son would cry (who was in the nursery down the hall).  It happened so often, that after I'd hear the bells, I would know that within a minute my son would wake up.  They were very soft and soothing and I was never frightened by the experience.  My son's spirit guide letting me know that he needed me?

Tylwythteg

#8 BFG

BFG

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(Tylwythteg @ Dec 12 2009, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to be awakened by a soft clinking of bells when my middle son was a newborn. I would hear the bells which would wake me up.  I'd lay there for a minute and then my son would cry (who was in the nursery down the hall).  It happened so often, that after I'd hear the bells, I would know that within a minute my son would wake up.  They were very soft and soothing and I was never frightened by the experience.  My son's spirit guide letting me know that he needed me?

Tylwythteg

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it is the kind of bell that you just tap the button on top. We live in the country, our home was built in 1828 the old part anyway. we have dogs but no cats in the house. Both dogs were in the living room when I hear it. my husband doesn't seem to hear it.

#9 mainemom207

mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:History of places, haunted or not..
    Love cooking and making new things and new recipes are always fun! And well.. Love Cemeteries and Folklore and Love to hear of the History of the United States as well as Abroad.. which has a vast history all by itself!

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

WOW 1828 can you imagine the history associated with that home!? WOW!
I would be looking up some history on the place may find your answers there do keep us posted and maybe place a video on there and see what you capture smile.gif

Interested in spirits and the history of places..
Peace and Blessings, Lynne'

Posted Image

#10 Augustine

Augustine

Escaped Lunatic

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,566 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

I had dinner with my in-laws this evening.  My father-in-law told me that my mother-in-law came out today and said that she thinks that Jack visited her.  She recently put the urn with his ashes up on a shelf in her bedroom, and she woke up last night to the sound of someone picking up and ringing a decorative bell.  The sound was in the vicinity of the ashes.  Now, I gave her a small crystal bell for her birthday, but it's all the way outside in the TV room.  My FIL rolled his eyes and thinks she was remembering the bell I gave her and just imagining things.  He's never believed in this sort of thing, but he admits anything's possible.

#11 tigerscurse24

tigerscurse24

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:57 AM

:Picture 562:
Hi, I'm new to this, I'm 14 years old, and I have a question.  Can you please help?
My family and myself moved to a new house 3 months ago,  we know that there are ghosts here with us, and we speak with them and they watch over us and help us, but only a few minutes ago a bell rang, and I'm confused, as we DON'T HAVE ANY bells at all, and it came from in my bedroom. I'm in my room now and, was then, when it rang and gave me a fright... any ideas as to what it means in this context??

#12 klainey

klainey

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:18 AM

View Posttigerscurse24, on 05 October 2015 - 12:57 AM, said:

Hi, I'm new to this, I'm 14 years old, and I have a question.  Can you please help?
My family and myself moved to a new house 3 months ago,  we know that there are ghosts here with us, and we speak with them and they watch over us and help us, but only a few minutes ago a bell rang, and I'm confused, as we DON'T HAVE ANY bells at all, and it came from in my bedroom. I'm in my room now and, was then, when it rang and gave me a fright... any ideas as to what it means in this context??

Hello and welcome to the boards

I think it is a natural response to be frightened :)  Firstly try to rule out things that could have made the bell sound. Sometimes my mob. phone has made strange noises.  I find it amusing if it is a sound I haven't heard before too.  Other then that  maybe it is their way of getting your attention and there might not be a  meaning behind it.

Edited by klainey, 05 October 2015 - 01:19 AM.

#13 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

Don't Mess With Me

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus in treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hello & welcome to the forum tigercurse24:) You will find great people & wonderful support here.

#14 tigerscurse24

tigerscurse24

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

Hi, I'm not scared of this sort of thing, it's actually pretty normal... thank you everyone for your time :good: and support also effort to reply.

#15 EVP

EVP

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

View Posttigerscurse24, on 05 October 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

Hi, I'm not scared of this sort of thing, it's actually pretty normal... thank you everyone for your time :good: and support also effort to reply.

Maybe you should consider trying to record this auditorily to confirm your experience.

Posted Image

"Men who have excessive faith in their theories and ideas are not only ill
prepared in making discoveries; they also make poor observations."  
♠♠♠ Claude Bernard♠♠♠

#16 SeCRETofTheForest

SeCRETofTheForest

Apport

• GS Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:24 PM

View Posttigerscurse24, on 05 October 2015 - 12:57 AM, said:

... a few minutes ago a bell rang, and I'm confused, as we DON'T HAVE ANY bells at all, and it came from in my bedroom. I'm in my room now and, was then, when it rang and gave me a fright... any ideas as to what it means in this context??

hello, did the bell you heard just ring the one time?

I think bells (or at least bell sounds) can be used in many ways and with many intentions. If you look at how we use bells there's the ones we use to get assistance or someone's attention (like one on the service counter in a store), there's bells to simply make our presence known (like hikers wearing bells to alert wildlife), and there's bells to mark daily events or the passing of time or a special event or celebration (a bell that let's farmhands know lunch is ready or a bell that lets meditators know it's time for another sit, bells for the hours of the day, bells for a church service or bells for a death or birth etc).

During the recent lunar eclipse, I was meditating outside by myself at a private spot looking over town. Right in time with the moon becoming completely shadowed I distinctly heard two tolls of a bell directly behind me from a thin tree line some 15-20 feet away. I was very aware of the sounds around me and heard no movements in the trees before or after the bell.

#17 jlemich

jlemich

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Playing with my dogs.
    Drinking wine LOL
    Learning more about
    the paranormal...

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

tigerscurse24, on 05 October 2015 - 12:57 AM, said:

Hello and welcome Tigerscurse24. I hope you find all the answers you need in this forum! Great advice and knowledge to be found here!

#18 Chris Charles

Chris Charles

Apport

• GS Member
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Anything odd and crazy, who doesn't love a good mystery.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

fascinating read, some very interesting possibilities, perhaps the spring could be slightly faulty and catching, and very slowly unwinding in till it rings?
Things go bang in the night, but don't be scared.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users