Free Skins
© Fisana

Are Foul Ghostly Smells Indicative Of....

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 mystsofavalon

mystsofavalon

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:20 PM

Foul spirits?

Assuming you smelled a rotting flesh smell, and after thorough consideration of all extenuating factors of the situation, have concluded it was not a physical world smell, nor was it your nose gone wrong as it was smelled by those with you.....and assuming this smell was paranormal....

Does the foul smell indicate a foul entity?  A demon?

For those of you knowledgeable in the paranormal, what do you know about foul smells....and I don't mean just bad smells.....I mean a smell so foul it overwhelms you physically and emotionally....seeming to follow you and so offensive it seemed to choke the breath out of you, you could FEEL this odor ....

I and others with me have encountered such a transient smell on a haunted battlefield last year.  Going to the same area hours later, it was gone.  Nor was it in that area the day before when we were there.  So, it being road kill or some other decaying animal is unlikely....the smell was transient and seemed to follow us for about a quarter to half of a mile.  It FOLLOWED us.....

Assuming it's paranormal, what could we be dealing with here?

Edited by mystsofavalon, 05 March 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#2 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

Its very hard to say if the rotting flesh was that of a Demon or just in an area where so many deaths took place. It is not uncommon IF there is a demon around to get foul smells of rotting flesh, ammonia or sufler and YES that horrid odor can make someone violently ill. confused0068.gif
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#3 bronxrumble5

bronxrumble5

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Playing bass guitar, writing and recording music, scale model building

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

IMHO, it's still possible you were smelling roadkill.  The movement of the winds on that day could have caused the smell to "follow" you as you were walking, and then be undetectable when you returned to the area later.
Posted Image

"Plastic parts and glue, doing everything I can do, to build the robots.
They're filling up the room, 'cause all that I ever do is, build the robots."
Dr. Steel,  Build the Robots

#4 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

Foul smells are not necessarily an indication of anything paranormal (especially "following" you... I've had skunk smell follow me for miles down the road with no evidence of a skunk anywhere near but the odor) and most certainly they're not necessarily an indication of "evil".  

I recall one time someone with an unfortunate sense of humor "farted" right in my face (I was alone in the building and I know I didn't rip one off) -- I heard it, I smelled it (ugh... death and poo... it was truly heinous) and it hung around for a while.  Said someone is not evil in the least... like I said... just has an unfortunate sense of humor and thought it would be funny to fart at me.  I wasn't amused but nor was I scared.

Assuming it's paranormal, you could have had a whiff of what the battlefield smelled like during and after the battle... someone could have wanted to convey something to you and you might have a gift of clairgustance (the ability to smell things that aren't physical odors).  I wouldn't jump to evil... actually, I'd accuse the person next to me of sneaky gas first (I was doing that last weekend... we'd all had pizza for supper just before the investigation and I kept accusing the others of doing foul things while standing next to me... something REEKED in that house) and then think that someone was trying to alert me to their presence and I wasn't listening hard enough so they thought they'd hit me in the nose.

ArcusArcanum
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#5 CaniswalensisGStudy

CaniswalensisGStudy

Spongebob Swearpants

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

TK, your post reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4AqPMlv_I
Posted Image

#6 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE(CaniswalensisGStudy @ Mar 7 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TK, your post reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4AqPMlv_I

Hahahaha!

But, you know, while I was watching it, I heard one come from  under my chair (my computer speakers are above and in front of me)... either the video "threw" a noise or someone decided to enhance my experience!

ArcusArcanum
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#7 OffDutyCop

OffDutyCop

Paranormal Law Enforcer

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Research and Investigation, Military History, Law Enforcement History, Irish and Irish-American History, Naval and Martime History, Writing, Video Gaming

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

As a fan of military history, I'm curious as to which battlefield you were at, if you don't mind sharing.

As others have stated, however, there are plenty of wordly explanations that could fit what you experienced. Having been around many unpleasant odors in my life, to include those associated with death, I can tell you that the more pungent the odor, the more it seems to "follow" you. Please keep in mind, however, that it's extremely common for smeels to work their way into the fabric of our clothes, hair, etc, which can make it seem as if the scent is lingering, or traveling with us.

Also, in order to smell something, tiny pieces of that object, a decaying animal, for example, actually have to enter our nostrils. This, coupled with the sheer memory of the unpleasant odor can cause us to smell it, or believe we're smelling it for some time after we have seperated ourselves from the origin of the smell.

Of course, if it was paranormal, it could have been entirely residual. While the smell of a decaying body is unpleasant, gun powder also has a very distinct "rotten egg" smell.

Regardless, I wouldn't let the experience trouble you.
"In each of us, there are two sides at war....the good and the evil. The fight rages between them all of our lives, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be, we are. " ---Dr. Henry Jekyll

#8 PumpkinWraithGStudy

PumpkinWraithGStudy

1D's #1 Fan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(OffDutyCopGStudy @ Mar 7 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, if it was paranormal, it could have been entirely residual. While the smell of a decaying body is unpleasant, gun powder also has a very distinct "rotten egg" smell.

I had the "pleasure" of smelling a decaying human body and I can say that it is something I will never forget.  It was one of those smells that will stay with you for days and no matter what you do it is up your nostrils.  I was at home cooking meat and It came back to me,  I was watching a gory film and it triggered it.   Even now, if I think about it I can actually remember the smell.   This was over 10 years ago.  I had seen a few dead bodies, accident victims stabbings etc, but a six month old decomposing body at close range is something else...   sick.gif .....Picture 483.gif   I'm just glad that I had a strong stomach and no gag reflex!!

Maybe...Just maybe, because you were on a battlefield where many people died it could have been paranormal.  I wonder if you smelled the decomposing bodies of the troops that had died in the area....

Or of course it could just be something as simple as a dead animal somehere nearby.

Posted Image

Signature created by SilentWalkerGStudy

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction.  Harry 4Ever!

#9 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

If it's a battlefield where they do reinactments (or where reinactors have events)
smells like gunpowder, or rotting meat (someone left scraps from food in the greenery?) may be current smells lingering and not historical smells.

Also if we're talking INDOORS things like woodwork, carpet & furniture can absorb smells and release them at the worst times.  Common triggers for scent release are heat (sunlight through a window on the sofa where the dog naps.), humidity, and sometimes I'm not even sure what.
Company coming is probably one of them...  

"Sewage" type smells might indicate a hidden plumbing problem!

Edited by trin, 08 March 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#10 mystsofavalon

mystsofavalon

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

This happened at Gettysburg, right by Little Round Top....

The reason I worry that it may be paranormal is that this is by FAR not the only thing that has happened to me and my family.

I could write a book.  It would bore you all to tears if I recounted all the bizarre things me, my husband, my 2 adult children and my grandson all have experienced.

I've seen things, smelled things, been stopped by strange people who say or do bizarre things, and even dreamed events that later happened ..all connected with the battlefield.  

This particular event was proceed by an usettling occurance that same evening....

but I don't want to bore y'all with my Weirdness at Gettysburg tales.

Thanks for all your replies. Some I can discount out of hand like farts and sewage pipes ( it was on Little Round Top) .  Dead animal smells on the wind, perhaps.  But this event, like I said, was preceeded by another disturbing event....

Edited by mystsofavalon, 08 March 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#11 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

Sorry to hear you had negative experiences, and you would not bore is at all. Would you share what happened? If you are uncomfortable telling it I understand, but we have heard just about everything, and would offer support in any way possible? Again its up to you..
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#12 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

OOoooh, I think Gettysburg is practically ODC's back yard!

#13 mystsofavalon

mystsofavalon

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:04 AM

Well, it's not that I don't want to tell, it's just that some of these things are SOOO weird, I don't think anyone will believe me....and no one wants to sound like a raving lunatic....so, I've learned to keep things to myself.

This smell thing is one of the milder things .....  there are others.  A few years ago, I was physically attacked by...something....and I have the scars to prove it.  That same night we, my family and I, were growled at by something in the woods....the growl came, not from the ground, but at ear level and was extremely close.  Whatever it was, it was big. A bear, some have asked?  Not really possible, as it was November here and the leaves had fallen....no sound was ever heard of rustling leaves.  And believe me, we have freaked out many times in the fall, hearing leaves rustling, thinking something HUGE was approaching from all that noise, and it turned out to be a squirrel.  That night, the night of the growl and the attack.....there was no rustling leaves, at any point.

But that night is another story.  

As I said, i don't want to be made fun of, and I am not a fanciful person that imagines that this or that is paranormal.  In fact, because of childhood issues, I've been much happier denying any belief in the paranormal because that would mean that all that stuff that happened to me as a child could be REAL and not just bad dreams or the result of watching too many scarey movies.  THAT is how I've kept myself sane over the passing years.  By NOT believing in the paranormal.  Now, living here in Gettysburg, well......that seems a bit more difficult.  THINGS keep happening to us......

For the record, once, years ago on another paranormal forum, I told some of my story of the physical attack by...something, most people probably thought I was crazy, but one man contacted me and told me that what we were experiencing was indeed paranormal, and that we were being harassed by things called "trackers".  That they follow us, track us.  I tried to ask him questions , like WHAT are Trackers, and WHY are they tracking us....he dodged the question.  He just told me NOT to challenge them, to stay away from them.  Needless to say, I am a stubborn woman. I refused to stay off the battlefield, despite the fact that I was attacked.  He seemed to be the only one who believed me.

Edited by mystsofavalon, 09 March 2010 - 05:21 AM.

#14 Enemyace

Enemyace

Shemp

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal studies, gardening, antique radio restoration, aviation history, bicycling. Oh, and I love animals, especially cats.

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(mystsofavalon @ Mar 9 2010, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I refused to stay off the battlefield.....

I like that phrase very much. I've never experienced anything like a malodorous phenomena, so I count myself lucky. In fact, my experiences with the paranormal haven't been nearly as extensive as many other's. Most of mine have been UFO sightings, and they were back in the mid 1970's. In 1988 I recorded an evp before I even knew what one was, and there've been other minor odd events. I would tend to think that experiencing some weird or foul odor, and certainly something like an attack, would put me off any interest in the paranormal for good. I have to admire the courage of many of you to have weathered some of your experiences which make anything I've experienced seem very minor indeed. I can't state with certainty that I would exhibit similar courage.

#15 mtndwellar

mtndwellar

Orb

• GS Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

We do not walk alone.  The spirit world is vast and complex.  It is not unusual for most people to experience an interaction.  They usually just pass it off as something that does not have an immediate explanation, but is due to natural causes, nonetheless.  Most people on that battlefield would move along with only a simple thought, "That's weird."  

Those who have experienced more obvious interactions question more.  That's a good thing.

#16 Enemyace

Enemyace

Shemp

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal studies, gardening, antique radio restoration, aviation history, bicycling. Oh, and I love animals, especially cats.

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:53 AM

I agree that we don't walk alone. And an inquisitive nature I also agree is a good thing. It's healthy.

#17 mystsofavalon

mystsofavalon

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:13 AM

Enemyace,

I guess I am at a point now where I am just fed  up with the dark encounters. I should have been more specific, some of the things that have happened to us on the battlefield were very comforting and spiritually enlightening, it is the dark ones that make me angry.  

And as for the physical attack, it's a long story, but I refused to leave that night. I went about visiting certain monuments as I had planned, in pain and dripping blood. I am as stubborn as a mule, literally.  NO WAY was I leaving that field. Bloody but not defeated.....I did not go to the hospital till I was done visiting the places I planned to visit....and that was 2 hours later.  And I was back the next day.   I was told by the mystery man on the net NOT to challenge these things, but I did and do....it is not in my nature to back down from a fight..... that is probably most  unwise, but what can you do but be the way you are.  It's not courage, it's stubborn stupidity.

As a side note ...after the attack, i was attacked once again about two weeks later but this time was not hurt.  

And I went back...... and we still do. We spend most evenings in the spring/summer out on the field .....especially at night. Haven't been attacked physically since then, and that was about 3 years ago....but other things have happened.  

For anyone interested, should I start a journal like thing of my experiences?  Detail some of the things that have happened?

As long as y'all don't think I'm a raving lunatic, I don't mind telling my experiences.

Edited by mystsofavalon, 09 March 2010 - 08:18 AM.

#18 mtndwellar

mtndwellar

Orb

• GS Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

You better tell us more.  Why do you return frequently to the battle field?  Are looking for super natural experiences?  You will probably get them.  If there is another very good reason, then keep going back.  

I am a Christian.  The bible tells us not to flee from the devil.  We have the power and the tools necessary to fight.  We do not look for a fight unless we are well prepared in advance.

Edited by mtndwellar, 09 March 2010 - 08:30 AM.

#19 Enemyace

Enemyace

Shemp

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:32 AM

Hi mystofavalon,

I say go for it with documenting your experiences. I know you're not crazy, there most definitely are dark forces out there, or wherever they are. I think you're right that a challange, even a super malevolent one, would tend to strengthen one's resolve. I would like to think that I would meet such a challange as you have, and I hope you are alright after these confrontations. I don't blame you for being fed up with dark encounters as you've stated; i'd be too.

#20 mtndwellar

mtndwellar

Orb

• GS Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Enemyace @ Mar 9 2010, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mystofavalon,

I say go for it with documenting your experiences. I know you're not crazy, there most definitely are dark forces out there, or wherever they are. I think you're right that a challange, even a super malevolent one, would tend to strengthen one's resolve. I would like to think that I would meet such a challange as you have, and I hope you are alright after these confrontations. I don't blame you for being fed up with dark encounters as you've stated; i'd be too.

Unless I am misunderstanding the situation, this is some of the worst advice imaginable.  Based upon what has been written so far, Mystofavalon has encountered a malevolent spirit.  Is the point to display courage?  Unless a person is prepared to aid a restless spirit into the light or exorcise or banish a demon, they have no business looking for trouble.  

It seems akin to entering a gang fight blindfolded.  The other gang will not consider you a serious threat, but will knock you in the head once in a while for sport.  They may decide to get more vicious.  While such action could be considered courageous, it is not smart.

If Mystofavalon is fed up with dark encounters, and is not prepared to fight, she should avoid the place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users