• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trickyspark

trickyspark

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:08 AM

I'm just posting this as a question. I often hear people say ghosts can't harm you, though I often read (or see on tv) about cases of people/investigators being scratched, shoved, etc. Is this caused by a spirit/ghost or a poltergeist/other entity?

I was just curious, you don't see much mention of poltergeist and I was wondering are they considered ghosts or something else? Sorry if my question seems a bit stupid.

The term skeptic, is derived from the Greek word "skepsis", which was the name of a small town in Asia Minor in antiquity. It was known for its lack of knowledge, and people from Skepsis were known as skeptics. -from "Ghosts, True Encounters With the World Beyond", by Hans Holder.

#2 becka

becka

Apport

• False Positive
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:58 AM

I can only give my opinion on this. I don't think ghost's can harm you,  BUT that demons can. In other words I think the ghosts of people who once lived can't hurt you if for no other reason then they can't muster the energy to move much in the physical world. But spirits that were not human and didn't once live on the earth as a person can. They seem to have more power to move things in the physical realm. JMHO basede on reading I have done. I could be way off lol

#3 ForteDS

ForteDS

Orb

• False Positive
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

What becka said. Spirits can't really hurt you, or just scrapes if they can, but Demons might be able to. Mental harm on the other hand is very possible, but even then you are doing it to yourself; the spirit is just provoking it.

#4 Observer47

Observer47

Orb

• GS Member
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, paranormal investigation, writing, and history.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(trickyspark @ Mar 24 2010, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just posting this as a question. I often hear people say ghosts can't harm you, though I often read (or see on tv) about cases of people/investigators being scratched, shoved, etc. Is this caused by a spirit/ghost or a poltergeist/other entity?
I was just curious, you don't see much mention of poltergeist and I was wondering are they considered ghosts or something else? Sorry if my question seems a bit stupid.

The three main kinds of paranormal activity are intelligent haunting, residual haunting, and poltergeists.
There are also "elementals" or what my family has called for generations sprites.

Intelligent haunting or spirits (ghosts) sometimes want to be noticed--they are the ones who often make noise, touch, etc.

Residual haunting or spirits (ghosts) are like a memory a house of other location has--they play over and over like a tape repeating itself. This type of haunting is not aware of your presence.

Poltergeists are normally attached to a teenage boy or girl--it is more the energy of the living human that drives them. They are not ghosts.

I believe intelligent spirits keep the personality they had while they were alive--meaning some of them are nice and some of them are not.

I do not believe in demons. I have encountered negative spirits or energy but I feel strongly that paranormal activity can not harm the living. I have been touched but I haven't ever been harmed.

A lot of what is presented on television is over dramatized, exaggerated etc...

Some elementals can be a real nuisance but they just fade away eventually. Shadow people often fade away as well.

Some intelligent hauntings can also be a real nuisance and they are sometimes much harder to get rid of. When my group encounters this kind of activity--we refer our clients to trusted people we know who can help them rid their homes or businesses of this unwanted activity. But more often than not I just have my clients talk to former clients of mine who have learned how to live with activity. The best thing always is to talk to the spirits, ask them what they want, and most important set boundaries--so they know what you will and will not tolerate.

Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.--Arthur Conan Doyle

Central New Mexico Ghost Investigations
www.cnmgi.com

#5 ghost137

ghost137

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Researcher.
    Writer, Artist, Explorer.

Specialties:
    Ancient Myths, Afterlife, Time Travel.

Odd Interests:
    Codes, Ciphers, Physics.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:13 AM

This is just my opinion,

In my experience there is as of yet no conclusive evidence to say what ghosts are or aren't or the extent of there abilities to effect our physical and mental reality, Current evidence supports a decline in more harmful activity than in earlier times. whether this is do to a decline in superstition or an actual effect do to an abnormal cause remains unknown. Because (In only my view) we have no real understanding of what comprises a spirit, its energy, it's purpose, it's existence, it's reality. There is no way to know the effect they can apply to ourselves and those around us, because there are so many different view points of there composition and purpose based on what cultures you've explored, we lack any coherent universal understanding.

There is no answers yet,
Just personal experiences and a lot of guess work,

poltergeist's are the same, we guess at what is happening,
but no one really knows yet,

Just being honest,

Ghost137

- Ghost137 4mula -

To reach the 'Witching Hour' start at 24:59:59 + .01 Then Add: -.01(10)-9 till: -00.00.00 < -00.59.59 + (-.01) Add: .01(10)-9 or be lost forever.

#6 CaniswalensisGStudy

CaniswalensisGStudy

Spongebob Swearpants

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE(ghost137 @ Mar 25 2010, 04:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is just my opinion,

In my experience there is as of yet no conclusive evidence to say what ghosts are or aren't or the extent of there abilities to effect our physical and mental reality, Current evidence supports a decline in more harmful activity than in earlier times. whether this is do to a decline in superstition or an actual effect do to an abnormal cause remains unknown. Because (In only my view) we have no real understanding of what comprises a spirit, its energy, it's purpose, it's existence, it's reality. There is no way to know the effect they can apply to ourselves and those around us, because there are so many different view points of there composition and purpose based on what cultures you've explored, we lack any coherent universal understanding.

There is no answers yet,
Just personal experiences and a lot of guess work,

poltergeist's are the same, we guess at what is happening,
but no one really knows yet,

Just being honest,

Ghost137

well said, Ghost137.  You have summed up the situation superbly. smile.gif

Canis
Posted Image

#7 ghost137

ghost137

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Researcher.
    Writer, Artist, Explorer.

Specialties:
    Ancient Myths, Afterlife, Time Travel.

Odd Interests:
    Codes, Ciphers, Physics.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(CaniswalensisGStudy @ Mar 25 2010, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well said, Ghost137.  You have summed up the situation superbly. smile.gif

Canis

ohmy.gif  <-- me

- Ghost137 4mula -

To reach the 'Witching Hour' start at 24:59:59 + .01 Then Add: -.01(10)-9 till: -00.00.00 < -00.59.59 + (-.01) Add: .01(10)-9 or be lost forever.

#8 mainemom207

mainemom207

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  • Interests:History of places, haunted or not..
    Love cooking and making new things and new recipes are always fun! And well.. Love Cemeteries and Folklore and Love to hear of the History of the United States as well as Abroad.. which has a vast history all by itself!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

All I have to say on this as I agree with many of the postings.
We have had things move, vanish, open by themselves in my old home, it was like I said the children.. or the Indian we had on the property.
So my opinion spirits may be capable of touching you if they wish.
Though it has come to what I have seen and experienced in the real world, that evil people have this capability as well.. people who are just angered, mad or was just evil at the time they were here as well.  
So to answer your question I have to agree with all of the above, it depends on the situation the strength of the spirit and well unless you have experienced it and/or seen it is all still scientific study..
A lot of Ghost, Spirit, Demon Technology and what they can or cannot do is still to what people have experienced and seen. Nothing is really known for sure..
So I have to agree with the people on here..
Also what you do see on TV is something else out there.. a lot of drama i tell you.. the only reason i am watching the investigation shows now is the equipment they are coming out with is like really getting techy and kewl! lol smile.gif

Interested in spirits and the history of places..
Peace and Blessings, Lynne'

Posted Image

#9 CaniswalensisGStudy

CaniswalensisGStudy

Spongebob Swearpants

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE(ghost137 @ Mar 25 2010, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ohmy.gif  <-- me

lol!
Posted Image

#10 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,357 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

Assuming it wasn't faked, on the pilot episode of Ghost Adventures, a spirit had enough strength to pick up and throw a brik

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#11 PhEoNiX79

PhEoNiX79

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

This is what I believe... I haven't had much experience with ghost. I am hoping that I will in the future... I believe that evil spirits can harm you but, not kill you.. Again this is just what I think.. I could be wrong.. I have heard of people disappearing after investigating and has never been found.. But, its a possibility that something else could have happened.

#12 408nate08

408nate08

GhostStudy Artist

• GS Member
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Music, Criminology, Traveling, and of course, the paranormal.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

From an episode of Ghost Hunters, there was a woman who mentioned that, one day, she was alone at the top of her stairway and she tripped over something...but something grabbed the back of her shirt and pulled her back up to her feet before she could fall, thus saving her life. On another episode of Ghost Hunters, Jason somehow gets a huge red mark on his back left shoulder. I haven't had any real life experience with getting touched, pushed, etc., but I do think that there are entities capable of causing harm, while others are not. But I think Ghost Hunters is legit, so I just thought I'd share that.  whistling.gif

Edited by 408nate08, 02 April 2010 - 07:13 PM.

#13 Kimberlee

Kimberlee

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

As the others have said, I can only relate my personal experiences.

While the vast majority of the time, spirits are either incapable of or do not wish to cause harm (we cannot prove which, or if both, are the actual reason), they will try to make themselves known.  And you can provoke them to make their efforts greater.

My two experiences with being touched came completely unprovoked.  In one, we were investigating a military cemetary.  My friend had a name forming in her head and I asked "if you were [name], show us what happened."  And nearly immediately after I felt a sharp pain in my chest, fell backwards and there was a red welt in the centre of my chest that took several hours to fade.  When we researched the name after, we discovered that there was a soldier involved in the battle there of that name, and he had been shot in battle.

My other experience involved an investigation of an old building that used to be, successively, a hospital, offices and its latest incarnation is of a Halloween haunted house attraction.  We were getting a lot of interesting phenomena and I was stood on a balcony and felt something push the middle of my back, so that I stumbled forward a couple of steps.

Unfortunately, there is no objective way to document the phenomena of touch and physical interaction with unseen entities.  In my experience, I believe no real harm was meant - as in, the intent of both interactions was not malicious.  I do, however, believe that the second experience was intended to frighten me, though not physically harm me.  So as far as I am aware, they can touch us, and with less than wholesome intentions.  With regards to causing physical injury with intent and purpose ... remains to be seen.

#14 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Observer47 @ Mar 24 2010, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The three main kinds of paranormal activity are intelligent haunting, residual haunting, and poltergeists.
There are also "elementals" or what my family has called for generations sprites.

Intelligent haunting or spirits (ghosts) sometimes want to be noticed--they are the ones who often make noise, touch, etc.

Residual haunting or spirits (ghosts) are like a memory a house of other location has--they play over and over like a tape repeating itself. This type of haunting is not aware of your presence.

Poltergeists are normally attached to a teenage boy or girl--it is more the energy of the living human that drives them. They are not ghosts.

I believe intelligent spirits keep the personality they had while they were alive--meaning some of them are nice and some of them are not.

I do not believe in demons. I have encountered negative spirits or energy but I feel strongly that paranormal activity can not harm the living. I have been touched but I haven't ever been harmed.

A lot of what is presented on television is over dramatized, exaggerated etc...

Some elementals can be a real nuisance but they just fade away eventually. Shadow people often fade away as well.

Some intelligent hauntings can also be a real nuisance and they are sometimes much harder to get rid of. When my group encounters this kind of activity--we refer our clients to trusted people we know who can help them rid their homes or businesses of this unwanted activity. But more often than not I just have my clients talk to former clients of mine who have learned how to live with activity. The best thing always is to talk to the spirits, ask them what they want, and most important set boundaries--so they know what you will and will not tolerate.

Ahhh finally. Someone with the same logic I have about the subject.

Though I classify them slightly differently, and I suppose in broader terms.

Things like elementals, and these things with red glowing eyes people talk about are spirits. They never were alive.

Dead people are ghosts but further divided into the categories you set.

But for the most part, we agree. Its just.. comforting. I get very tired of everyone telling me that they're demons and garbage all the time. I don't believe in demons or angels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users