• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

A few years ago, I was engaged to a guy who lived in Grafton, WV. Every weekend we'd take turns coming to see each other. When it was my turn to go there, I generally would leave straight from work (around 9-10pm depending on the season) on Friday...and come home that Monday and go straight to class at Marshall.

To get to Grafton, I'd always get off at the Bridgeport/Clarksburg exit and head down Rt. 50.  However, I hated going down that way because the road just always seemed so dark and desolate...and LONG!  But...it was the quickest, most direct route.

On a typical night, I had gotten off work as usual...this time around 10pm, and by a little after midnight, I was nearly at my destination. It was a super dark, but clear night...and there was NO traffic on the road. I'm a night owl and was excited to see my boyfriend, so I'm reasonably certain that I was completely alert, not fatigued in any way, and not suffering from highway hypnosis (as this road was waaaay too curvy for that, lol).

I was driving well below the speed limit due to the curvy road and the threat of deer...and as I was poking along, I happened to catch movement to the right of me in my peripheral vision.

I slowed down a bit more, and as I was driving, I could see this thing, just a dense white form, running towards the road across the open field. I thought it was a deer, but as I got closer to it, I noticed it was an almost humanoid form...a tall, lanky figure running on two legs.

I remember things kind of in slow motion at this point. I can see this thing running at me, almost as if its rushing my car. I'm still trying to think this thing is a deer, but just as I think its going to keep running out in the road and hit me, I slam on my brakes and  for a second, get a definitive look at this thing, and its definitely NOT Bambi.

Whatever the thing is, I can see it step out into the road...but as soon as the "foot" hits the white line, it disappeared. Right about this time, I'm slamming on my brakes as hard as I can, and wincing, bracing for what I'm sure will be impact as I crush this thing...it took a little time for it to sink in that this thing DISAPPEARED.

Super shook up, I made the rest of the journey to my boyfriend's house. I barged in his house and just started blabbering, apparently. I was making perfect sense to me, but he couldn't understand a word I was saying, hehe...took me two or three tries to gain enough composure to calmly explain what had happened.

The next morning, he asked me if I wouldn't mind showing him exactly where it had happened. When I pointed out the spot, he told me that this was the spot where years ago, there was a really bad wreck which ended with at least one, possibly two, local kids being decapitated. That was creepy in and of itself, but he told me that a local legend was that the wreck came on the 100th anniversary of a white missionary being decapitated on the same spot.

My next trip to Grafton, I again took the same road, but was overcome with anxiety the whole way. My knuckles were WHITE and my hands cramped from gripping the steering wheel so hard, and I just kept repeating over and over in my head, praying to whomever would listen, to NOT see this thing again.  Oddly enough, that trip was sort of creepy by itself.  It was a super foggy night and I ended up stuck behind what looked like an old fashioned coal truck.  Honestly, this truck was going like, 10-15 miles per hour the whole way down the road, but I refused to pass it; even though it was creepy that this vehicle, so out of place looking and creeping along was blocking my way, in my horrified mind it meant that there was the comfort of another person close by, and that there's no way this thing would show itself to multiple witnesses.

It was such a horrible feeling of dread and apprehension of seeing the figure again, that after that night, I refused to drive down that road by myself ever again.  This was odd behavior for me, as I'm used to, and actively seek, such experiences, lol.  Instead, when I came to visit, I parked at a local hotel and made my boyfriend come pick me up.

I had originally posted this story on a WV paranormal board, and got several responses from people living in the area that have had similar things occur on this dangerous stretch of road.  A little validation...but it doesn't put my nerves to rest, any, lol.
October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#2 Night Shift

Night Shift

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:16 AM

Sounds like you've had a lot of experiences. I enjoy reading them!

#3 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

My goofy brain...

I keep returning to this report wondering "so what KIND of foot? a human foot, a hoof, a PAW?"  "Was it taller than a human? did it have ANTLERS????"

I am sooo tempted to want to draw this with a text line (of "when it's foot touched the white line at the edge of the road, it just.... vanished.")

#4 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(trin @ May 14 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My goofy brain...

I keep returning to this report wondering "so what KIND of foot? a human foot, a hoof, a PAW?"  "Was it taller than a human? did it have ANTLERS????"

I am sooo tempted to want to draw this with a text line (of "when it's foot touched the white line at the edge of the road, it just.... vanished.")

Uh, well, I'll try to clarify...this thing was a humanoid thing running on two feet.  It was a white, dense mass of what appeared to be a foggy substance--almost like the opposite of a shadow being.  When I say foot, I mean the end of the leg-like appendage, lol.  It wasn't detailed enough to see exactly what was down there.  I assume it wasn't a hoof or paw though.  And, uh, no; it didn't have antlers, and stood about six feet tall.  In MY goofy brain, I was trying to rationalize what the heck this thing could be rushing at my car from the field, when I didn't even see it head on until I was almost on top of it.

I shall try to work on my writing skills before sharing any further experiences.
October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#5 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

There's a Grafton near me too... biggrin.gif

I was driving home from not quite that far north, on one of the back streets where there's a lot more trees/vegitation and not many people. (some actual farm land/ park area...)  and saw a shadowy shape step out from the brush and then IT Was gone,

Just a vague shape though. Not even sure I could even say it looked humanoid.
Of course this ONLY happened the one time, when I was alone and I was driving.
If I'd been a passenger, with my camera at hand, nothing would have shown up there. biggrin.gif

Hey! you've given me an illustration exercise... hopefully, I'll be able to make time to do some scribbling tomorrow or the next day.

Edited by trin, 14 May 2010 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users