• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RavenHeart

RavenHeart

Magickal Man

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts
  • Interests:All things Paranormal, Spiritual, and Supernatural, . Love Music, Camping, Horseback Riding, Cinema, Photography, Art, Native American Story-Telling. Kundalini Reiki, Holographic Quantum Physics etc.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

The following is an article from the Psychic Society.

According to medical research, doctors say that very bad dreams can actually cause someone to die in their sleep! That's the shocking conclusion revealed in a recent study by expert Dr. Albert Collins.

Dr. Collins discovered in his study that there are two types of bad dreams - nightmares and night terrors. "Nightmares are bad dreams where you wake up before the moment of terror," explained the 51 year old researcher. "Night terrors are when you can't seem to wake up until it is too late."

During a night terror the victims heart rate can go from 60 beats per minute to 180 or more. This has caused people with heart conditions to have massive heart attacks and actually die before they can wake up," Dr. Collins told the Psychic Society.

How can you avoid night terrors? "Try to avoid over stimulation such as exercise before going to sleep," advised Dr. Collins. "Also eat a balanced diet and avoid foods with caffiene and sugar at least 2 hours before sleeping."

Edited by RavenHeart, 22 June 2010 - 05:56 PM.

#2 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

I've woken up from bad dreams that had my heart racing at an amazing pace ... so I would have to agree. Conversely I have also died a few times in dreams with no ill effects, so it's something more than that which causes problems. At least for me.

#3 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

It was a popular tale when I was little that if you died in your dream, you'd die in real life...like if you dreamed you were falling and actually hit ground.  It was said you should always wake up before hitting, lol.

Even as a child, I wondered how anyone could prove that...how did a dead person tell you what they were dreaming about when they died?

Anyway, I too, have woke up with my heart racing.  I've had panic attacks before, and this is what it feels like.  I notice it happening when I awake with a start from a deep sleep.  Oddly enough, however, I don't remember actually dreaming anything at the time, so I'm inclined to believe that I never grew out of the night terror phase.  Unfortunately, my son has inherited that trait, and I guess time will tell what other weird parasoms I passed down to him.
October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#4 Safire973GStudy

Safire973GStudy

Pooky's Guardian/Board Tech

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(LadyNBlack @ Jun 23 2010, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even as a child, I wondered how anyone could prove that...how did a dead person tell you what they were dreaming about when they died?

Seems like a valid question to me.

I understand that with monitoring the heart rate, they can assume it was a night terror.  But isn't it possible it was a different type of active dream?

How can you avoid night terrors? "Try to avoid over stimulation such as exercise before going to sleep," advised Dr. Collins. "Also eat a balanced diet and avoid foods with caffiene and sugar at least 2 hours before sleeping."

Looks like I'm in trouble.  I'm usually sucking down a diet Coke before bed. :P

I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

Posted Image

Torn by the storms in my head
Like a victim of fate
Born to regret
Still denied by the spirits of hell
A call to repent
Til the visions still stand in silence

#5 ghost137

ghost137

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Researcher.
    Writer, Artist, Explorer.

Specialties:
    Ancient Myths, Afterlife, Time Travel.

Odd Interests:
    Codes, Ciphers, Physics.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

I concur,

I've had death dreams and though they have scared the heck out me I'm still here, though left really wondering about where the edge is, and if you can tip-toe for a couple seconds over the line and still come running back.

I can see though having experienced the racing heart syndrome you get during terror dreams, how it could cause a heart attack, or stroke. Though I have had bad dreams with no food or caffeine before bed.

There are a lot of interesting studies out about nightmares, there different intensity's and when they occur, including both the cycles before and during rem's off/on cycle of sleep. Some things might surprise you. It's worth reading up on if you have the time.

Good thing about really dying in your sleep. You don't have to spend anytime worrying about. If it happens, it's happens, and you'll never know till sailing into the great unknown.

I know not very reassuring am I,

Cheers,

Ghost137

- Ghost137 4mula -

To reach the 'Witching Hour' start at 24:59:59 + .01 Then Add: -.01(10)-9 till: -00.00.00 < -00.59.59 + (-.01) Add: .01(10)-9 or be lost forever.

#6 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(LadyNBlack @ Jun 23 2010, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... It was a popular tale when I was little that if you died in your dream, you'd die in real life...like if you dreamed you were falling and actually hit ground.  It was said you should always wake up before hitting, lol...

I've come to hate hitting the ground in my dreams. For many years I would have jumping dreams, where I would jump one to two hundred feet in the air and then fall towards the ground at a great speed. I always seemed to wake up before hitting. Until recently. It seems the older I get, the more often I now hit the ground in those dreams. A very uncomfortable experience.

I have also had many dreams about fighting where I end up being stabbed in the solar plexus with a long knife, and slowly dying from it till all the lights go out and I know I'm gone. It really hurts, too. I guess I need to learn some knife defense techniques.

#7 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(Snowlord @ Jun 23 2010, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've come to hate hitting the ground in my dreams. For many years I would have jumping dreams, where I would jump one to two hundred feet in the air and then fall towards the ground at a great speed. I always seemed to wake up before hitting. Until recently. It seems the older I get, the more often I now hit the ground in those dreams. A very uncomfortable experience.

Up until I was about the age of 13 I had dreams where I would jump up in the air and float around for awhile.  I likened it to floating in a pool.  I could jump up, arch my back, and hang suspended for awhile.  The older I got, I found it harder and harder to maintain any 'air time.'  I never remember falling, though...just sort of floating back down gently.

But it seems like that age was the turning point.  I stopped having the floating dreams, and started having these odd dreams that came with an accompanying myoclonic jerk.  They started happening anytime I fell asleep in the car.  I'd dream I was falling off a cliff, and awaken with a myoclonic jerk.

Later, they progressed to dreams at night where I fell off a cliff and awoke with that myoclonic jerk.  It progressed from there to the point where I dream I'm walking down the street and fall, and awake in such a manner, lol.  During the falling, I never remember hitting the ground.

Oddly enough, my heart beat is fine during these instances...it feels nothing like the weird sleep panic attacks that wake me up with my heart racing and a sense of intense dread.

Edited by LadyNBlack, 23 June 2010 - 07:08 PM.

October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#8 the_gray_jester

the_gray_jester

Maniacal Metalhead

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Parapsychology, Metal music, Photography, Writing, reading, and investigating.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

dreams are a funny mindstate,  and very hard to explain.  since your the only one to experiance it, and you tend not to remeber more than a few fuzzy moments.

but it is true that a bad dream can kill you,  if you have high blood pressure, heart conditions, or many number of things.  though tecnhicaly the dream isnt kiling you, the condition is.

often nightmares or terrors can be so realistic it can spike your adrenaline,  causing panic, increasing your heart rate, (hence the heavy breathing, rapid heartbeat, and jerking motions) which in turn can cause a great stress on your body.

ive spent a number of years studying dreams,  and i can say with what ive learned i never hit the ground.  if im falling i fly.  if im drowning, i can breath. and if im being stalked by monsters, they end up being friendly sasquatch :P. once you can figure out your in a dream you can manipulate it.  not to the extent of planning everything out, but you can make a bad situation into a fun, memorable dream.  

try this next time your dreaming of falling.  remeber "The Jester told you this would happen". it may give you that slight recognition its a dream, and you can try to make a fall into a fly. its a trick i used, i would remeber a phrase,  it sits in your mind subconsciously, and if you enter a scary dream, its often just "clicks".  its worked for me for ten years.

Posted Image

#9 alucard789

alucard789

Orb

• GS Member
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:guitar.writing.reading,studying the unknown

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

I have had dreams where I was shot and hit but did not die, in fact once I didn't even wake up and thats what usually happens in my dreams if I am being harmed or theatened, I wake up but that time I didn't and shot back then I woke up.
  In many dreams where I have had to run or defend myself something would always happen like my gun would shoot bullets but so slowly that they couldn't harm anyone or if something was chasing me I could not run.
I have often wondered why this is, and I also have a theory, that when we dream we go to another dimension, not into our subconcious but to another dimension to which we are all surrounded by all the time but are not aware of except for when we dream, or a few can actually meditate into these dimensions.
It is just a theory but it makes as much sense as anything else. I have trained myself to remember my dreams and when I fall into the state of sleep paralysis, I used to be afraid but have learned to go with what is happening and have had some really strange visions for lack of a better word.
I believe I have lived in different lifetimes as in my dreams I will meet someone and then later on in the year or month I will run into that person and feel a strong connection to them even though I know I have never met them befor.
Dreams are such a strange and vauge area and there are many interpetations of what they mean and I try and listen to them all so I can maybe understand them a little more.
  I want to thank you all for your experiances as they have helped me so much in my ongoing quest onto the paranormal which I have been studying for over ten years now. Everytime I come to this site I learn something new and to me thats priceless, isn't knowledge what we all seek anyway?
I have learned there are also many dangers in this field so I try and not go overboard because as the saying goes be careful what we ask for because we just might get it. Thank you all your all very brave and knowledgable, alucard789
Do not let your shadow catch you, alucard789

#10 CaniswalensisGStudy

CaniswalensisGStudy

Spongebob Swearpants

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

View Postthe_gray_jester, on 24 June 2010 - 06:05 PM, said:

but it is true that a bad dream can kill you,  if you have high blood pressure, heart conditions, or many number of things.  though tecnhicaly the dream isnt kiling you, the condition is.
I think this cuts to the core of the issue.
Posted Image

#11 Cambion

Cambion

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

I've had a couple dreams before where I'd be jolted awake, and a couple others where I'd be jolted awake and my heart would actually hurt. I've had heartburn and chest pain, but I felt this like it was actually in my heart, and that was not a fun experience. It was like being stabbed from the inside, and while the pain became relatively low-grade almost immediately after, it was still very scary. I calmed back down after about 20 minutes, though.

The worst part is I don't even know what the dream was about that made it so scary. I don't remember a single part of the dream other than the fact that it was obviously frightening enough to wake me up. I don't think I have a heart problem, and I know my BP is at the level of pre-hypertension, so that probably made it worse. Hope that never happens again; that was not a fun experience.

#12 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Extra Terrestrial

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:I am director of Dravenstar Paranormal research Team out of eastern Kentucky. I have over 10 years of research under me. Other than paranormal work I dabble in writing and am also a very accomplished bass player.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

I believe that bad dreams can kill you. I suffered from dreams when I was a child that actually inflicted physical damage to my body. I have a friend now who is experiencing the same thing.

#13 Guest_GhostWhispers_*

Guest_GhostWhispers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

I never do too good with nightmares, there's times I even screamed in my sleep and I couldn't back to sleep for some reason. Nothing paranormal has happened inside my house, but I always seem to dream about a lot of weird circumstances. I wonder if it's possible for ghosts to haunt you in your dreams? Is it possible?

#14 monzaria

monzaria

Apport

• GS Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

When I was about 12 or 13 I've learned how to control my dream. If I don't like where it's headed I force a change, or fly away, etc.....But I wait to see where it's taking me. I don't change it when it starts getting scary since it could have info I might need when I'm awake. I've learned to listen to my dreams, most of the time they tell me what's going to or might happen.

I can see nightmares killing you if you have cardio or BP problems. But some bad dreams your spirit is actually battling something evil, if your soul's compromised so is your body. I've had a handful that I was actually performing an exorcism and knew that I can't wake till it's complete or something bad would happen. It's hard to explain and sounds silly in the waking world. lol...oh well. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users