• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

Ran across this the other day and thought it was kinda cool...

Roosevelt relates 'Bigfoot' story

Is it true that President Teddy Roosevelt once claimed to have seen a Bigfoot-type creature?

It doesn't appear that Teddy Roosevelt ever saw a Bigfoot, but he wrote about another hunter having an encounter with one in his book, The Wilderness Hunter, which was published in 1893.

Roosevelt related a story told to him by a "grizzled, weather-beaten old mountain hunter, named Bauman" that occurred near the Salmon River between Montana and Idaho. According to the story, Bauman and another man were hunting and trapping beaver when they learned they were being stalked by a creature they thought to be a bear.

Roosevelt writes the creature ransacked their camp while they were gone, and the next day, while Bauman was away, it broke his companion's neck.

"Bauman, utterly unnerved and believing that the creature with which he had to deal was something either half human or half devil, some great goblin-beast, abandoned everything but his rifle and struck off at speed down the pass . . . until beyond reach of pursuit," Roosevelt wrote.

And...THIS LINK has a more in-depth telling of the story.
October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#2 HelenaHandBaskettGStudy

HelenaHandBaskettGStudy

Board Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,376 posts
  • Interests:Reading, hanging with my best girl (my daughter), hanging with my best guy, hockey, music, the paranormal, and RHPS

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

Very interesting story LNB. Lincoln believed in ghosts, I don't think it's much of a stretch to believe in Bigfoot as well!

Posted Image

Dr. Egon Spengler: I'm worried, Ray. All my readings point to something big on the horizon.
Winston Zeddemore: What do you mean, big?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning's reading, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.
Winston Zeddemore: That's a big Twinkie.

#3 ChildofTwo

ChildofTwo

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Spiritualism
    Spirit Guides
    Spirits
    Ghosts
    Haunted Places/People
    History
    Movies
    Reading
    Drawing/Sketching

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

View PostHelenaHandBaskettGStudy, on 06 August 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

Very interesting story LNB. Lincoln believed in ghosts, I don't think it's much of a stretch to believe in Bigfoot as well!

Not only that, but Lincoln's wife and himself performed and attended seances! Apparently Bill and Hilary Clinton also believed in spirits and tried to speak to deceased presidents by doing seances as well.

Sorry for changing the subject there, but I honestly do find it interesting that Teddy supposedly saw Bigfoot.  :)

#4 BAM233

BAM233

EVP

• GS Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

View PostChildofTwo, on 06 August 2010 - 07:31 PM, said:

Not only that, but Lincoln's wife and himself performed and attended seances! Apparently Bill and Hilary Clinton also believed in spirits and tried to speak to deceased presidents by doing seances as well.

Sorry for changing the subject there, but I honestly do find it interesting that Teddy supposedly saw Bigfoot.  :)

Thats not wise since there is a mad off ex-president in the attic lol.

But, yea i never have heard of this story about Teddy, and I wonder what is the oldest known story about 'bigfoot'?

#5 Menet

Menet

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

I've seen a special on TV that made mention of this but didn't get into the meat of the story.    I saw it on PBS.  It was about Teddy Roosevelt or the National Parks.  I can't remember which yet I never read about Bill and Hilary Clinton believing in ghosts.   That was news to me.   I enjoyed that story of Big Foot.
The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#6 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

It sounds like a bear attack to me. The guy never actually saw what was doing it all. Bears quite often walk around on two feet, which gives rise to many Bigfoot stories in my opinion.

In this video it seems like it would be very easy to mistake the bear for a bigfoot under the right conditions ( It starts doing it about one third of the way in ) ....

Edited by Snowlord, 07 August 2010 - 05:42 PM.

#7 Menet

Menet

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:44 AM

View PostSnowlord, on 07 August 2010 - 05:41 PM, said:

It sounds like a bear attack to me. The guy never actually saw what was doing it all. Bears quite often walk around on two feet, which gives rise to many Bigfoot stories in my opinion.

In this video it seems like it would be very easy to mistake the bear for a bigfoot under the right conditions ( It starts doing it about one third of the way in ) ....

I thought about that very same thing.   Bears do walk around upright but not for any length of time or distance.   I know.  I know.  I've never seen Big Foot and I don't want to but I enjoy a good BigFoot story especially when the person reporting it is a professional.   Not a professional BigFoot hunter but....remember that psychologist who was hiking with his family in the northwest and had that scary encounter?  He feared for his family.   Yeah, it could have been a bear, but he didn't seem to think so.   I thought he saw it.   The northwest still sports areas that are not mapped in their entirety.    Real wilderness.   You've got a lot of it where you live, Snowlord.   They will all be moving your way.   Be on the look out.   I can hardly wait for that encounter you have while star gazing.   For your sake, I hope it's not a bear.

Just kidding.

Hey that bear is missing a limb.   Point taken but don't you think a trapper would know when a bear had only three limbs.   That would be note worthy because it's not the usual.   You have to give trappers their due because it is their livelihood we are discussing.   I think that they would recognize bear prints or the prints of a three legged bear?   Of course, having a better tall tale than the next guy works better for me.  You know, like the fish that got away.   Or if you murder your friend for his furs, you have to have a satisfactory explanation of where your friend is and what happened to him.  I'm sure it worked in those days.

Still, hmmmm.

Edited by Menet, 08 August 2010 - 02:57 AM.

The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#8 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

View PostMenet, on 08 August 2010 - 02:44 AM, said:

... the northwest still sports areas that are not mapped in their entirety.    Real wilderness.   You've got a lot of it where you live, Snowlord.   They will all be moving your way.   Be on the look out.   I can hardly wait for that encounter you have while star gazing ...  

I keep waiting for one to show up, but no luck yet. If one comes along while I am stargazing I will see if he is interested in learning some constellations. Hopefully he won't eat my camera ... or me.  :)

#9 OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Orb

• GS Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

I really love Teddy Roosevelt's Wendigo tale, but it's always been my impression that it was both written and intended as a fictional short story, very much like Algernon Blackwood's similar tale.

Hey, I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Edited by OldTimeRadio, 12 April 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#10 Mak Jo Si

Mak Jo Si

Orb

• GS Member
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Taoism, exorcism, kung fu, chi kung, music, air guns

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostLadyNBlack, on 06 August 2010 - 03:18 PM, said:

Ran across this the other day and thought it was kinda cool...

Roosevelt relates 'Bigfoot' story

Is it true that President Teddy Roosevelt once claimed to have seen a Bigfoot-type creature?

It doesn't appear that Teddy Roosevelt ever saw a Bigfoot, but he wrote about another hunter having an encounter with one in his book, The Wilderness Hunter, which was published in 1893.

Roosevelt related a story told to him by a "grizzled, weather-beaten old mountain hunter, named Bauman" that occurred near the Salmon River between Montana and Idaho. According to the story, Bauman and another man were hunting and trapping beaver when they learned they were being stalked by a creature they thought to be a bear.

Roosevelt writes the creature ransacked their camp while they were gone, and the next day, while Bauman was away, it broke his companion's neck.

"Bauman, utterly unnerved and believing that the creature with which he had to deal was something either half human or half devil, some great goblin-beast, abandoned everything but his rifle and struck off at speed down the pass . . . until beyond reach of pursuit," Roosevelt wrote.

And...THIS LINK has a more in-depth telling of the story.

Great article!  Personally I do believe there is the big foot too, and so is ghost. But then, somehow it is mcuh easier for people to believe there is ghost and not a big foot, weird eh?

---
World Best Exorcist Website - http://www.worldbestexorcist.com

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users