• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:20 AM

I have been experiencing this off and on for about two years now.   Occasionally, I will wake up with strange, red scratches on my arms, side, and once down my leg.  Before you add your own explanation, let me first remind you that I have done everything I can to debunk this myself.  There are no logical explanations for the scratches.

Yesterday, I woke up with them again, only on one side of my body, and one of the scratches was deep enough to have drawn blood, it had a scab forming on it.  

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?  They are thin scratches, almost like a cat would make.  I do not have a cat.  I am a VERY light sleeper, so this just boggles my mind.  

Please, if you have experienced this, please share.
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

I've scratched myself in my sleep similar to that..especially if I have a rough fingernail

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#3 SilentWalkerGStudy

SilentWalkerGStudy

Hen-Pecked Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts
  • Interests:Football (Leicester City fanatic), Rammstein, In Flames, Trivium, Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch, most heavy / death bands. Most important thing is my FAMILY.

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

Is there anything next to your bed that you could rub against? Also, is anything between the mattress and the sheet?

There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery. ~ Joseph Conrad

Posted Image

#4 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

apparently, I also scratch but more often manage to bruise myself (legs & arms with my fingertips) during the night semi regularly.

possibility #2, bed bugs... horrible little monsters. they bite, and follow a trail up the vein biting along the way, and it can look like scratches. (they can infect any home, not a cleanliness issue at all! just the lure of human blood is enough!)

do you have pets? there's also the possibility of accidentally getting contact with a toenail of a cat/dog during the night.
one of my cats has left bits of nail sheath on my bed and those are PRETTY dang sharp. (My kitties occasionally take a swat at each other with me IN BETWEEN THEm in the middle of the night when they suddenly decide it's time to play tag, or just pick on each other.)

#5 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my family, art, scrapbooking, listening to loud music, reading, photography, writing, are you still reading this? Seriously?

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:11 AM

I have checked everything in my mattress, etc.  I have not been able to come up with a logical explanation for this.  I do not sleep with my dog, and he could not even reach the bed.  I am not doing this to myself.  The scratches are situated so that my fingernails couldn't reach the location unless my arm bent the other way, or my arm grew at least a foot in the night.  No one else in the house is doing this to me (well, no one who is alive).  It is not bedbugs, or the rest of the family would have them, and/or I would have them all the time.  The scratches do not appear every day.

Believe me, I want there to be a normal explanation for this.  But so far I have come up with nothing.  

Has anyone else reading this experienced this?  Lurkers, members, please let me know.
Life's a match in a gas tank, don't ever mourn the ebbing tide, just dance on fire and enjoy the ride.

#6 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

Soooooo incredibly glad it isn't the bugs!
those things are just awful.

Hope you get a solution.

#7 LadyNBlack

LadyNBlack

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:History, Civil War re-enacting, giving ghost/history tours, paranormal investigation

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

Scratches appearing overnight are always super hard to explain...because there are SO many explanations, lol.

Me personally...I'm a light weight apparently.  I can get scratched if I hit a tag on the bed, or the one in million end of a feather poking out in a down comforter.  I've even scratched myself and drew blood on a Q-tip in the bed.  :Picture 562:

There's also a few medications in particular that will cause dry skin to actually "spontaneously" tear.  And, another from personal experience...I'll scratch myself during the day (I have one blouse with a zipper on the back in particular) and not realize it, or pay it any mind.  It's not until I sweat (and sometimes I don't sweat until I wake up after one of my post-pregnancy sleeps) that it becomes irritated and I feel it, prompting me to check it out and find scratches.

If you think its paranormal in nature, see what you can find out.  Since they don't happen with frequent regularity, videotaping may help rule out if you're doing an elevated level of thrashing around in your sleep, but probably would NOT be practical for you.   Instead, start with keeping a log of the incidents.  What is going on during the day leading up to the scratching?  Are you dreaming about anything during the night?  Are you waking up out of a sleep to find these, or waking up normally?  Any other paranormal activity going on in the home that increases/changes prior to a scratching?  Anyone else being scratched? Does this happen right before/after the sheets are changed and laundered?  Take all of these factors and more into consideration and see if you can spot any patterns.

I haven't been keeping up with your threads, so I don't know if there are other reasons to believe that your home is haunted...but if you think it is, you might want to weigh in the options of a formal investigation and/or trying to make contact with the entity...even if its just a basic audible "Stop scratching me!"
October 23 and 30th: Guyandotte's Ghostly Encounters Candlelight Walking Tour

#8 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

Tiff, Are you still having paranormal activity in your home?
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#9 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

Yes, we are still having activity, but it is very sporadic, and much time passes in between.

#10 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Disembodied Voice

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Interests:Interested in the paranormal, and I am proud I just published my first book regarding my haunting.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

View PostMs. Tify, on 23 August 2010 - 04:12 AM, said:

Yes, we are still having activity, but it is very sporadic, and much time passes in between.

Hmmmm is anyone else in the house being scratched or harmed in any way?
YOU CANT SCARE ME, I HAVE KIDS

#11 O_the_Scientist

O_the_Scientist

Orb

• GS Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

i had a mirror at the top of my bed on night i decided to sleep with my feet toward it. Ended up kicking through it only have a scar on my big toe though. i wake up with blood spots on pillow and blankets sometimes. or will have random bruising or cuts. they don't bug me though. and have plenty of animals that can explain all of them. especially the bite marks from my kitten. he always wants to play at night and he sleeps on my left side therefore my left arm becomes a scratching post. and once im asleep, its near impossible to wake me up. but there is my story..

I think i sleep walk/ sleep awake? a bit too because someone will tell me something or say i was doing something but then i dont remember. such as hey we have to go to the airport at 1 to pick up so and so, im told i look at them say okay then just lay there. i ever remember it. i really want to video tape my self so i can laugh at it.
http://www.deadvoidforums.tk/  (site is up but just haven't started with posts)
I apologize in advance for me not taking the time to use proper grammar and spelling. I don't really have an excuse...

Posted Image

#12 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:42 AM

Blue, no, just me.  And I am happy to say that, because I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else in the family.

#13 ghostlyduo306

ghostlyduo306

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

I have not been following the other threads much lately but what other types of activity has been going on in the house besides the scratches that seem to appear?

#14 sookieme

sookieme

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

i'd like to add my 2 cents into this , as long as i can remember i have woken up  with lots of bruises to just one little one, on my arms or legs. Nothing i have done during the day would have caused them, sleeping with my b/f he says i sleep like a log and do not move. this has been happening since i was little i would say around 10. I do however remember someone saying something to me one time, that when we sleep we leave our bodies and when we wake up with these bruises or scratches, it means that we have bumped or hit something while wandering, i myself dont belive this, i think im going to put a video camera in my bedroom tho. just recently i have woken up with bruise marks on my arm again. after it not happening for 6 years. thanks for sharing your experioance and lets hope someone can help you understand what is happening.

#15 ChildofTwo

ChildofTwo

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:Spiritualism
    Spirit Guides
    Spirits
    Ghosts
    Haunted Places/People
    History
    Movies
    Reading
    Drawing/Sketching

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:34 AM

View PostMs. Tify, on 22 August 2010 - 06:11 AM, said:

I have checked everything in my mattress, etc.  I have not been able to come up with a logical explanation for this.  I do not sleep with my dog, and he could not even reach the bed.  I am not doing this to myself.  The scratches are situated so that my fingernails couldn't reach the location unless my arm bent the other way, or my arm grew at least a foot in the night.  No one else in the house is doing this to me (well, no one who is alive).  It is not bedbugs, or the rest of the family would have them, and/or I would have them all the time.  The scratches do not appear every day.

Believe me, I want there to be a normal explanation for this.  But so far I have come up with nothing.  

Has anyone else reading this experienced this?  Lurkers, members, please let me know.

I've experienced being scratched before, but I was fully awake and my legs were up in the air on a wall (I liked to prop my legs up like that back then) while I watched TV. I've also been scratched in the shower before. First one had welts, no bleeding, one bled and had welts, plus they happened within an minute. Very scary stuff, honestly.

I hope you figure out what IS causing this, Ms. Tify. :/

#16 Firewolf Ironriver

Firewolf Ironriver

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:my intrest include dirty vocals, drumming. music and the goddess thats my life nothing more nothing less. after i finish my medium training i want to go on to join a team of paranormal investagators and help those who need guidance or need a spirit cleansing or maybe just to see if someone has passed on that is my souls calling.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

i have had scratches appear from no where. one time i just said one of my friends name then my back felt like it was on fire something told me to ask my gf what it was i had blood running down my back looked like i was sctratched with kitty claws. never happened again though. sure scared me enough to not say her name anymore in that house haha XD
peace, light, and bright blessings
FW.

#17 sakanajanai

sakanajanai

Orb

• GS Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

OMG maybe you have a ghost cat???  :D

IDK- I've heard of this happening before- it used to happen to an old ex of mine. He had sleep paralysis and apparently would attack himself in his sleep.

Or, could be a ghost kitty.
Check out my blog: "My Dad's House is Freakin Haunted!"

#18 Kate_78

Kate_78

Feeler of the Shoes

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Anything with Orlando Bloom, Leonardo DiCaprio, or Dean Cain hehe.<br />Music, anything....Country, soft rock, rock, <br />Kids, I have 2 of them now ;)<br />Reading, I love to read but, don't b/c if I do I'll loose what little sleep I don't get.<br />Writing, I<br />Kate.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you're going through this.  It can be frustrating as well.  
I've had something happen to me like this in the old house that we lived in.  We've moved but we lived in an old apartment for 10 yrs. I woke up one morning and had little red scratches all up and down the back side of my hand to past my wrist or so just about.
I showed my SIL one day and she thought I was clawing myself too in my sleep, ummm, I have no finger nails lol just about.  I don't keep long nails. And my nails aren't rough or ragged.
So I don't see how that could have happened.  We have no inside animals or cats either.
But, back to your post sorry this is happening and hope you get some answers.  Nothing is poking you in the mattress or anything is it?  That was just a thought that popped in my mind at the last min.
Take Care and hope you get some sleep soon if it's keeping you up at night.
Kate.

#19 Firewolf Ironriver

Firewolf Ironriver

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:my intrest include dirty vocals, drumming. music and the goddess thats my life nothing more nothing less. after i finish my medium training i want to go on to join a team of paranormal investagators and help those who need guidance or need a spirit cleansing or maybe just to see if someone has passed on that is my souls calling.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

ghost kitteh? :innocent0005:
peace, light, and bright blessings
FW.

#20 Ms. Tify

Ms. Tify

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:22 AM

I sleep "like a log", too.  I barely move.  Sometimes I wake up and have to turn over because my shoulder is completely numb.  However, I am still a light sleeper, and the slightest noise will wake me up.

I woke up with strange bruises, just once.  It was on my right arm (I'm right handed), upper part of my arm, there were four bruises, in a line as if fingers made them.  They were made by a small hand (I am petite), but they couldn't have been made by me, unless I could have turned my left hand backwards.  Those bruises were there for a few weeks.

We did have a cat, she has since passed.  I suppose it's possible, I'll put it in the "maybe" file.

I did some research on the 'net, and there are a lot of people who experience this.  Some have a theory that it is related to alien abduction or something like that.  I'm pretty open minded, but I am not ready to accept that theory just yet.  

One interesting thing to add, I tried to recreate the scratches.  First, I scratched myself.  The marks left by my fingernails were too wide.  I tried scratching myself with the nail cross wise, to make a thinner mark, it was still too wide.  I took a post earring, and scratched myself with the back of it, and that mark looked the most like what I had on my arm.  That scratch also lasted most of the day, like the ones I wake up with.  

From that experiment I determined that I was most likely not scratching myself, nor was my husband scratching me in his sleep.  His hands are too big.  I also realized that being scratched hard enough to leave marks that last 10 hours or more really hurts!  Being the light sleeper that I am, I don't see how I could sleep through that.

Funny, too, when I first noticed scratches, I was terrified.  I cried, I was so scared, I called my husband at work.  Then after a few more times, I was mad.  Now when it happens, I am more like "Oh look, more scratches, whatever."  Strange how quickly one can become desensitized to things.

BTW, I have checked the matress/bedding/pillows many times and it is not that.  Thanks for letting me ramble!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users