• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AnnapolisParanormal

AnnapolisParanormal

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

What do you guys think about these so called "Ghost Hunting Apps" running on smartphones. More and more people are using them like they are REAL investigation tools. Do you think they work? Are the genuine? Which ones do you have praise/complaints about?

The only one I use is "Ghost Hunter M2", because it has a working Geoscope, Audio Analyzer, and (suprisingly) an accurate EMF meter.

#2 beniciaparanormal

beniciaparanormal

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

Personally, I am not a fan of any of the smart phone ghost hunting apps.  There have been to many fake ghost apps that IMO introducing evidence gathered from a phone is not reliable.

I understand that newer phones have better cameras on them, mine is a 5MP resolution, but I would rather not use it.  The only reason for this is the reason I gave above about the poor record of reliable evidence given in the past.  

The geoscope may be helpful in identifying patterns, but that seems to be it's most reliable portion of the app.  As far as the Audio Analyzer goes, I've always been warned away from using the voice recorder on phones for EVPs because the audio quality is usually poorer than you could get on a digital voice recorder.  I'm not going to disagree with you that the EMF meter in this app works, because I am not there to check it against my EMF meter, but I will say that my cell phone emits an EMF field and I wouldn't trust a device to measure EMF if it also emitted EMF.

As the founder of a young group, I understand the allure of using free or inexpensive apps that can do what expensive equipment could, but I would rather go without than collect evidence that skeptics could easily cast doubt upon.

Posted Image

Benicia Paranormal
on Twitter @beniciaparanorm
www.beniciaparanormal.webs.com

#3 PumpkinWraithGStudy

PumpkinWraithGStudy

1D's #1 Fan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • Interests:Mainly my family and chatting to and getting to know the many good friends I've made here over the years. I love Rock, Metal and alternative music as well as having a profound interest in the paranormal.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

I started a thread about the Ghost Radar quite a while ago http://www.paranorma...=1
There are some pretty mixed views. I know tings have movred on but I don't trust any smart phone apps that claim they are ghost hunting tools,  Don't smart phones and cell phones give off EMF in the first place so wouldn't that defeat the object really?  :Picture 562:

Posted Image

Signature created by SilentWalkerGStudy

The Aliens said I could take a friend next time. Apply below ......but no mad people!

I <3 One Direction.  Harry 4Ever!

#4 Richard

Richard

Apport

• GS Member
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Reading, Xbox 360 Video Gaming, Paranormal Research, Member AGS, Comic Book Collecting

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:00 AM

I've seen them but just am not sure about anything they "discover"?
~ Investigating the Unknown ~
Posted Image

#5 spooki

spooki

EVP

• GS Member
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, zombie movies, photography, art

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

I only use them in the capacity of having additional EVP detectors. I personally prefer the Paranormal Recorder app ( although it is a pain to have to take it from the phone to audacity to be able to listen to it in its entirety) While I really don't trust them for much more than simple, low cost back up recorders I have found them good to have around to just set and forget lol.

If anyone has any suggestions on good EVP or recording apps I'd love to hear them :) I'm always in the market for new apps as well as new paranormal toys lol

The Okinawa Paranormal Files

~ Respecting the Past and Looking to the Future~

Find us on Facebook!

#6 Jim@GhostStudy

Jim@GhostStudy

Ghost Master

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

I read an article the other day that stated ""EMF meter" apps can't really work on a cell phone. The phone does not have any of the components necessary for such a function. It's just a fun gimmick or toy.
Posted Image

Posted Image
The new GhostStudy.com is coming!

#7 messageinabottle

messageinabottle

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Law Enforcement, Military, Ghost Study/Paranormal, Fitness, Spirituality, Culinary, Shooting, Martial Arts, Video Games

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

In my personal opinion, I don't think smartphones can contain the same accuracy and purpose as much as an actual EMF reader and other ghost-hunting tools. I'd rather use the actual tools then a phone.
Posted Image

#8 SilentWalkerGStudy

SilentWalkerGStudy

Hen-Pecked Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Interests:Football (Leicester City fanatic), Rammstein, In Flames, Trivium, Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch, most heavy / death bands. Most important thing is my FAMILY.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Phones give off EMF when they are used so there is no way that they would be a reliable tool.

There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery. ~ Joseph Conrad

Posted Image

#9 jam

jam

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

I also never take cell phones or smart phones with me on an investigation for two main reasons,  1) They give off EMF at random times and 2) Once while investigating when things started to get very active, something wiped out the blackberry I was carrying at the time.  When I took it to the store for service after I could not get it rebooted, BTW, I just told them it stopped working. The tech who looked at it said the device's hard memory sections of systems that were completely erased. He said it looked like Swiss cheese.

So, now all cell phones, Iphones, Black Berries etc stay at home when I am investigating.

#10 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

SilentWalkerGStudy, on 25 July 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

Phones give off EMF when they are used so there is no way that they would be a reliable tool.

Exactly. My impression is that they always give off EMF (unless they are turned off)

Edited by Vlawde, 31 July 2012 - 08:15 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#11 FFStudios

FFStudios

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

I saw a gallery from a professional investigation that included a few shots of a man seriously holding out his iPhone with an EMF app running on it. Needless to say, I was both entertained and just utterly shocked. If you're going to do this for other people, don't make it look like such a huge joke.

#12 Bender

Bender

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Completely garbage. Phones don't have any detectors to indicated any physical change outside of the phone.

#13 GhostHunterM2

GhostHunterM2

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'd just like to clear up some misinformation.  First off, let me state that people are mostly correct when they state that smartphones do not have the hardware necessary to detect EMF fluctuations.  I say this because "most" smart phones are not equipped with the appropriate hardware.  However, some smartphones like the iPhone (3GS and up), for example, are indeed capable of detecting EMF fluctuations.  The iPhone, for example, is equipped with a wealth of powerful sensors: triple axis magnetometer, triple axis gyro, accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor etc. and, thus, is very capable of detecting and measuring EMF.  Also, keep in mind that electromagnetic fields (naturally occurring or otherwise) are all around us, all of the time.  Smart phones do emit EMF, but so do standalone EMF detectors (e.g. KII), but this is a known quantity and can be adjusted for.  Additionally, smartphones, like the iPhone, have a very powerful processor (e.g iPhone 5 - 1.2 ghz dual core) and operating system and a wealth of capabilities that standalone devices do not have.  The question isn't if a smartphone can compete with traditional ghost hunting equipment, the question is can traditional equipment compete with the smartphone?  Hope this helps.

#14 Safire973GStudy

Safire973GStudy

Pooky's Guardian/Board Tech

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

http://www.buzzfeed....ith-your-iphone

This article actually links back to us here, on this thread.  Thought it would be cool to share :)

Believing in Ghost Hunter M2 as something that “works” requires two steps: first, believing that ordinary measurements like audio signals, seismic signal intensity, cameras, and the ever-popular electromagnetic frequency (or EMF) can measure paranormal activity. The second step is believing that a phone can even take these measurements in the first place. (On this issue, in the paranormal message boards, you’ll find mixed reviews.)

I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

Posted Image

Torn by the storms in my head
Like a victim of fate
Born to regret
Still denied by the spirits of hell
A call to repent
Til the visions still stand in silence

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users