Pepsi Uses Cells From Aborted Fetus For Flavoring

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 blizabeth

blizabeth

Apport

• GS Member
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, aliens, cryptids, books, comics, video games, movies about comics and video games, giant robots, cats, the ocean, the color aqua, travel, and various other geeky things.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

There is NO WAY this is true! No way!

The Pepsi Company, which is set to release the new product Pepsi Next in the coming weeks, is facing a more robust boycott as pro-life activists protest the company use of cells derived from an aborted fetus in flavor-enhancing research. But Pepsi has succeeded, with help from the Obama Administration, in keeping its controversial operations from consideration by its shareholders.

In a decision delivered Feb 28th, President Obama’s Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) ruled that PepsiCo’s use of cells derived from aborted fetal remains in their research and development agreement with Senomyx to produce flavor enhancers falls under “ordinary business operations.”

The letter signed by Attorney Brian Pitko of the SEC Office of Chief Counsel was sent in response to a 36-page document submitted by PepsiCo attorneys in January, 2012.  In that filing, PepsiCo pleaded with the SEC to reject the Shareholder’s Resolution filed in October 2011 that the company “adopt a corporate policy that recognizes human rights and employs ethical standards which do not involve using the remains of aborted human beings in both private and collaborative research and development agreements.”

Read More
Posted Image

"Like a boomerang thrown by a vengeful ghost on a carousel, unwanted hair always returns." - Random quote on laser hair removal ad

#2 Ser

Ser

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

:blink: There's just no way that can be true...right? I don't drink Pepsi, but that seems just...too unbelievable for words. I googled it though, and it seems to be trending along multiple, though mostly unreputed, websites. Just,  :blink: is my only reaction at the moment.

#3 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Yeah me too, there were only a few articles, most on just a couple of websites...mosh of those from conservative right wing religious folk.
Also, it looks like the story circulates around every few years

Edited by Vlawde, 15 March 2012 - 08:23 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#4 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Pepsi is people!

Sorry, but i think the article is Rubbish.*

*Nice language filter. ;)

Edited by Ghuoest, 15 March 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#5 blizabeth

blizabeth

Apport

• GS Member
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, aliens, cryptids, books, comics, video games, movies about comics and video games, giant robots, cats, the ocean, the color aqua, travel, and various other geeky things.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

I truly hope it's Rubbish...
Posted Image

"Like a boomerang thrown by a vengeful ghost on a carousel, unwanted hair always returns." - Random quote on laser hair removal ad

#6 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Here's the only source on the story I found from a website not connected to that religous organization's : http://news.yahoo.co...-232600064.html

It's funny how these "special interest groups" (I'm trying to be nice here) twist things to serve their agenda and get people all worked up

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#7 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

Urban legend... it pops up from time to time every few years since... about 15-20 years ago (possibly more, that's just when I first saw it).
Everytime it's attached to another brand or a different set of brands, and part of the purpose of the story getting revived is to rile up political action where none is needed.

Keep in mind how difficult it is to get permission/access to stem cells for research into serious medicine/ very serious diseases.  
these cells are not going to be easily or cheaply accessed for such a frivolous use. EVER.  

IF you are seriously concerned about such things, look at the labeling for the markings that establish whether a product is Kosher.
K inside a circle means product is kosher but contains a meat product (and it has to be something that chews it's cud AND has a split hoof or it CAN'T get this mark)   you inside a circle means the product is kosher but contains DAIRY product (again has to be from a split hoof ungulate) and P inside a circle means tht product is Kosher and contains neither meat nor dairy products (and can be served with either).

also if something is marked "Kosher for Passover" it's more specific about what grains are used and whether it includes yeasts.  (weirdly many of the artificial sweeteners, and HFCS are Kosher at other times (or close enough) but not for the Passover holiday. Coca Cola with cane sugar is a big deal in some local neighborhoods at that time of year. )

These are CERTIFIED markings, so if the recipe changes it has to go through the panel for approval again, and are useful for people with digestive, or other dietary issues.

Edited by trin, 16 March 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#8 Beatlefish

Beatlefish

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, music, tv, reading ghost stories, conspiracy theories, real life mysteries.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

I'm sitting here drinking my Pepsi Throwback ....and see this  :huh:   :yucky:  ...not gonna believe it...if it turns out true..I'll be in the psych ward  :confused: <_<

#9 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

And if it isn't kosher?  :blink:

#10 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

View PostGhuoest, on 16 March 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

And if it isn't kosher?  :blink:

don't forget how difficult it is to get the same material for MEDICAL RESEARCH, for producing "artificial flavor" it's simply NOT going to happen.
It's not like there's a ton of stuff and a company can just call up or go on the net and order such things like they do sugar.
(if for example it's a medical study, it has to do the same experimentation/testing/study with chicks and rats, and have substantial successes before their application to GET human stem cells won't get laughed at... )

(you'd be amazed how much is marked and certified kosher, I don't normally drink much soda, so I can just run to the kitchen and look at a can of Pepsi)

I strongly suspect that the current round of the rumor has started because state legislature has banned "food products made from human fetuses" even though there aren't any...
(they're aiming at a slightly different issue, possibly inspired by an Asian Horror Movie...    When the legislator who introduced the bill was asked it was actually happening or if this had EVER been reported, and the answer was "No, but we want to prevent it from happening..."

A lot of current bills, across the country are coming from big business concerns' committee & are happening in part as a huge distraction to those same state level legislatures ALSO passing bills that try to over turn safe water and air concerns (despite the EPA), restrictions on doing business in fair ethical manners, or even that they aren't doing ANYTHING to actually help produce jobs, or help people who have been working, or studying and Want to work.

Urban legends are being utilized and revived to feed the political machinery.

Edited by trin, 17 March 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#11 TheAbomination

TheAbomination

Orb

• GS Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Now why would they add discusting stuff to flavour something? :)))) that's just sick ...

#12 stampingchick

stampingchick

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

More info here.

Thank you Ghosthuntersluvr75for my siggy!!!

http://www.kscakes.com/LolCats/Detail.aspx...k-iz-broked1-2/

#13 CaniswalensisGStudy

CaniswalensisGStudy

Spongebob Swearpants

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • Interests:History & the study of anything paranormal.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Wow, That's quite a claim!  It is amazing what lengths people will got to to influence others.

I always wondered what they meant by "The Pepsi Generation." lol
Posted Image

#14 SpukiKitty

SpukiKitty

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

It's a myth! The usual Far-Right/Fundie "let's make crud up to alarm folks" game. Ignore it!
Posted Image

#15 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see unicorns in my garden. This would be called 'fear mongering' by a political faction.

#16 Zeph

Zeph

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

This made me look up what the MK in a circle on my coca cola meant (Montreal Kosher). Never knew that coca cola was kosher. I have always found that kosher products taste better. Might be a big fat placebo, but it tastes better to me. Taste test some kosher pickles up against some regular pickles if you dont believe me :)
I'm a find you, I'm a blind you, with a camera flash I'm right behind you.
Our dreams are only limited by our passion to pursue them.

Check out my Blog

#17 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostZeph, on 07 May 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

This made me look up what the MK in a circle on my coca cola meant (Montreal Kosher). Never knew that coca cola was kosher. I have always found that kosher products taste better. Might be a big fat placebo, but it tastes better to me. Taste test some kosher pickles up against some regular pickles if you dont believe me :)

In the case of the kosher symbol, it's really kosher according to all the rules, which can be a bit complicated.
... though with a local deli, and the grocery deli, there's also a difference between Kosher and Kosher STYLE...

but I kinda know where you are coming from.

#18 Adventure Wolf

Adventure Wolf

Apport

• GS Member
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Boxing, Sleep, Weightlifting, Business, Economics, Finance, Politics

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

It's not true. It is an urban legend that I've heard and researched before. Nothing about it is true.
Posted Image
Created by SilentWalkerGStudy

#19 Paranormal_RN

Paranormal_RN

Anomaly

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Reading!!!!!!!!
    Redoing old furniture
    Paranormal

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Horse doo doo!  Cells from an aborted fetus?  Hey, they say any publicity is better than no publicity. :anim_63:
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!"  Ash, aka T-Rex

"Your just jealous because the little voices talk to me!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users