Free Skins
© Fisana

My 175 Year Old House ( And New Haunting?)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Haunted

Haunted

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hello everybody.  I don't post very much, but I have been a mostly lurking member for many years, and now I need some advice.

A little background on my house:  It is a 175 year old farm house (though in a suburban neighborhood) that my husband and I had renovated seven years ago when we bought it.  The house was completely gutted down to the wall studs and remodeled. The only original part of the house is the foundation and the cellar.  I honestly was a bit worried about moving in at first, because how can a house that pre-dates the Civil War NOT be haunted!?

But, my fears were (initially) put to rest, as up until a few weeks ago, I had had absolutely no paranormal experiences in this house.

Fast forward to 2012, and we now have two daughters, ages 2 1/2 and 4, but we have not done any more work on the house since we moved in.  About three weeks ago, my husband was sleeping in my 2 year old's room, because sometimes she needs help staying asleep.  I heard the hallway floor creaking and looked up to see if it was my husband.  I saw a tall shadow standing outside my bedroom that then walked away.   I knew at once that it wasn't my husband, because I could hear him loudly snoring away in the other room.  I thought maybe I had dreamed it, so I forgot about it.

Last week, I had just went to the bathroom and laid back down, so I wasn't asleep, when I heard the hallway floor creaking, like someone was walking toward my bedroom.  I at first thought it was my husband, so I looked up toward the door and saw a form walk by, which I knew at an instant was not my six foot tall husband.  This shape was at least a foot shorter than that and not very well-formed, kind of just a dark shape.  I was very unnerved, but I got up to look out my door, and I can see into my daughter's room that my husband is sound asleep and snoring away.  There was no form, earthly or otherwise in there with them.  My hair was standing on end, and I got very sick to my stomach.  I didn't sleep the rest of the night.

The other night, I again heard the hallway floor creaking, but I did not look up.  I can't stand the thought of seeing another shape again. My solution has been to sleep with my door closed ( I usually leave it open a few inches to hear my kids).  I am very disturbed by this.

I can't seem to figure out why it is happening now, after seven years of living in this house.  Why out of the blue?  I have had many paranormal experiences in other houses growing up, there was even a shadow person in my house that I lived in with my parents, so I am not unfamiliar with ghostly goings-on.  Has anyone had a "haunting" that seem to start out of the blue?  What did you do about it?

Thanks for reading.  Any responses are appreciated.

Haunted

#2 hatsheput63

hatsheput63

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:egypt..crafts..reading...history..drawing..my family...antiques..ghosts...evps...

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

we have spirits that "pass" through here....  we smell smoke from a cigarette for a few days then it is gone.  Things move around for a bit - missing DVDs or make-up....then it all quiets down....  so I would say yes,  spirits can come and go as they please.   Residual haunting goes on without knowledge of time or change.
What is this ghost shadow that brushes my shoulder?

The night wind whispers
And I must follow.

Long is the shadow
cast by the black wings of fear.

#3 Haunted

Haunted

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

View Posthatsheput63, on 19 April 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

we have spirits that "pass" through here....  we smell smoke from a cigarette for a few days then it is gone.  Things move around for a bit - missing DVDs or make-up....then it all quiets down....  so I would say yes,  spirits can come and go as they please.   Residual haunting goes on without knowledge of time or change.

Thank you so much for your response, hatsheput63.  I also was thinking that maybe it is residual.  For all I know, this has been going on for some time and I just happened to be awake at the right time to notice it.

#4 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

If you think it's residual you should work to clear the atmosphere.

Clean the house thoroughly, including washing the walls with a weak vinegar and water solution.  Sweep, vacuum, basically do a thorough "spring cleaning".  Then smudge the whole house with sage (buy loose sage... those "smudge sticks" often contain sweetgrass and other ingredients that work at odds with the neutralizing properties of sage).  Air out the house (open windows) after you've smudged.  Then mist Florida Water (a specific perfume... you can buy it commercially or you can make your own off of recipes on the internet) throughout the house and have a party or have a few really great friends over and have an evening of laughter and fun.

Repeat the process as many times as it takes for your house to feel light and sunny when you walk into it.

The first three things are to clear the atmosphere and erase any energy "tapes" that are in the house.  The last is to replace the missing energy with positive energy.

If it doesn't make the haunting go away it's not residual.

ArcusArcanum
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#5 hatsheput63

hatsheput63

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:egypt..crafts..reading...history..drawing..my family...antiques..ghosts...evps...

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Tantric! You are so on top of things!!  I should have said something about smudging.....  
  If it is able to hear you,just tell it to leave..in a firm voice and say with meaning.
What is this ghost shadow that brushes my shoulder?

The night wind whispers
And I must follow.

Long is the shadow
cast by the black wings of fear.

#6 Haunted

Haunted

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have been thinking about this, and I do believe that it is residual.  The creaking of the floor and the figure going past my door has been going on at least since last year, I have concluded.  

Last year, from April until September, my husband's parents stayed with us as they were visiting from out of the country.  I THOUGHT my mother-in-law was going into my daughter's room early every morning to look at her, then going back to her own room down the hall (although, I can't say that I saw this figure go past my door as it was leaving).  This shape that I saw is her height and build, and when I saw it last week, I immediately thought of her.  I now think that it wasn't her and I was seeing and hearing this residual ghost the entire time.  I guess I just haven't been awake and aware at just the right time to see it since they left to go back home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users