• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sb05191

sb05191

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

For an English class at my college, we were required to research certain pseudosciences, and I chose to research ghosts and haunted houses. For one of our papers, we had to interview someone who believed in our topic. I interviewed my cousin, a 19-year-old college freshman, and she stated her belief:

"I think that ghosts are demons, masked with people that we love, or know, or are famous or something, because we’ve become more vulnerable to it. Because if demons were to show themselves, they’d be scary, and we wouldn’t want to see that, and so we wouldn’t be vulnerable to it."

I found this to be an interesting belief. I am curious as to what all of your thoughts on this claim might be.

Thanks for your input!

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

I've always thought it possible that some communications supposedly from dead friends or relatives could possibly be an entity mimicking that person. I'm not sure about them being demons tho

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#3 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

I think the idea that ghosts are demons simply comes from fear and nothing more. The only demons in this world are people when they decide to be nasty.

#4 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

That's what several people I know believe.

That is not my experience, nor is it my belief.

There are nasty things that will mimic more innocent things (little kids... children are almost never children) but the lie shows in what they want you to do -- our loved ones would only have our best interests at heart.  Dark?  Not so much.

ArcusArcanum
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#5 the entity

the entity

Apport

• GS Member
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:I do not have a paranormal group or team and have only investigated haunting a few times but have been studying the paranormal for many years now.I am always interested in new information and talking with others reguarding theories and paranormal events so with that said...ready...set...go!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

My thought is that if a spirit where aware of your religious beliefs maybe if that spirit were kind of a jerk in his life perhaps that spirit might use that information against you to scare you.

#6 Es_En_Ce

Es_En_Ce

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Maybe that is why the Bible says to discern the spirits :Picture 562:

#7 Ghuoest

Ghuoest

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

The statement is influenced by her religion.

#8 Zeph

Zeph

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

I personally dont have that belief, mainly because I dont believe in demons. But I do believe in ghosts and I dont think that they are all here to do us harm
I'm a find you, I'm a blind you, with a camera flash I'm right behind you.
Our dreams are only limited by our passion to pursue them.

Check out my Blog

#9 spineofsnake

spineofsnake

Orb

• GS Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Yes, that is a Christian belief. In the Bible all human souls immediately meet their eternal judgment after death, and have neither the ability nor the interest to come back and haunt the living. The only entities who can and want to communicate with humans that way are demons, and they also like to lie and pretend they're people's dead grandmas. That's the general theory.

My belief is that what we see as a "ghost" is just an astral body without a physical body. What it is, how it got there and what it wants probably differs from situation to situation. What we see as demons may just be hallucinations, or they may be other life forms from a different plane of existence. It's important to keep an open mind - there's so much we don't know about the universe, I always roll my eyes slightly when someone acts like they know what these things are.

#10 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

View Postspineofsnake, on 08 May 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

Yes, that is a Christian belief. In the Bible all human souls immediately meet their eternal judgment after death, and have neither the ability nor the interest to come back and haunt the living. The only entities who can and want to communicate with humans that way are demons, and they also like to lie and pretend they're people's dead grandmas. That's the general theory.

My belief is that what we see as a "ghost" is just an astral body without a physical body. What it is, how it got there and what it wants probably differs from situation to situation. What we see as demons may just be hallucinations, or they may be other life forms from a different plane of existence. It's important to keep an open mind - there's so much we don't know about the universe, I always roll my eyes slightly when someone acts like they know what these things are.
That may be the Protestant belief, but I was brought up by my Catholic family to believe that Purgatory is where souls wait until judgement day to be judged worthy of heaven or hell. So no, not all Christian belief.

#11 spineofsnake

spineofsnake

Orb

• GS Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 09 May 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

That may be the Protestant belief, but I was brought up by my Catholic family to believe that Purgatory is where souls wait until judgement day to be judged worthy of heaven or hell. So no, not all Christian belief.

Yes, I was raised Catholic too. According to both doctrines souls leave the earth immediately after death to be judged - whether now or on Judgment day, my point was that the Christian doctrine doesn't support the idea of souls remaining on the earth after death. Hence the idea that ghosts can only be demons.

#12 1 Samuel 28

1 Samuel 28

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Biblical scholar and photographer who has always been intrigued by the paranormal. Am genuinely interested in what people think about the supernatural, have found my life's purpose in helping others, and believe that truth is objective.

We can ALL be wrong, but we can't ALL be right...

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

View Postspineofsnake, on 11 May 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

Yes, I was raised Catholic too. According to both doctrines souls leave the earth immediately after death to be judged - whether now or on Judgment day, my point was that the Christian doctrine doesn't support the idea of souls remaining on the earth after death. Hence the idea that ghosts can only be demons.

Totally agree...  However there is the Christian cult Seventh Day Adventists, that believe in something called soul sleep.  Soul sleep is the belief that when someone dies their soul rests in  the ground until the resurrection of the body and the Final Day of Judgment.  Personally I don't really believe in ghosts in the traditional sense and pretty much agree that ghosts are demons.  But I have always thought that if there were such a thing as ghosts that might coincide with Christian doctrine, soul sleep might be it...  of course this would also be irreconcilable with the rest of Scripture.

"I am not mad; there are colours that we cannot see.
And, God help me! the cursed Thing is of such a colour!"- Ambrose Bierce

#13 salizander

salizander

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Didn't the Vatican retract their belief a few years ago about purgatory? Now they say that there isn't one....

Regardless, I think people believing that ghosts are demons reflects more on someone's religious beliefs than on what a ghost may or may not be....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users