15 replies to this topic

#1 FFStudios

FFStudios

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hello all,

I most often am reluctant to discuss my personal paranormal experiences because I feel that there is a greater reason for them happening to me; as such, I leave them to be whittled away by my own thought process. However, this is a circumstance where I'd like an opinion on others. It has been discussed for a long time in the paranormal field on whether or not pets are able to hear/see/feel things that may not be apparent to the human senses. I would like to toss in my own kindling to the fire. My cat, Shadow, is a seven year old black American short-haired cat. He lost his sense of sight in 2009 after developing complete cataracts in both eyes. On top of that, he is slowly going deaf. Scientific studies have shown that in humans, the other four senses become improved after one of the senses is lost. For example, a blind person may be able to hear much better than the average person.

For the past two years, I've noticed that my cat will be laying down, then suddenly pick his head up and track something across the room. This isn't just mindless kitty nosiness; he will go from near-sleep mode (I say near sleep to draw the line between actual sleep and just laying down with eyes half open) to alert and astute in a very short time period. There is a very distinct difference between when he does this and when he just looks around on an average day. The most recent occurrence happened this past Wednesday. I was sitting in my computer chair when my cat came literally BOUNDING up the stairs and into my room. Once there, he planted himself firmly at the base of my bed and stared underneath the table that holds my TV/cablebox. I played dumb, like most pet-lovers would do, and said "What is it, boy? Whatcha see?". During this, he didn't so much as turn his head, move his tail, or anything. I turned back around and it was no more than a minute or two before I heard a sliding sound across the hardwood floor followed by very loud, anxious meows. I spun around quickly, expecting to see my cat tangled in a mess of wires and inevitably disconnecting something. However, he was standing in the exact same spot where he had been before, save for the fact that he was standing completely rigid with his tail straight out, meowing his head off. Further inspection showed me that my Guitar Hero controller had slid across the floor about a foot, and was now almost completely under my bed rather than underneath the table.

My first instinct was rats were at play. But I had gotten rid of an entire rat family hidden inside my walls a few months ago and had blocked any possible entry to my room save for the door. It was a little rattling; it was the first time in six years that something had physically moved in my room like that. Back in 2005-2006, I used to have things in my closet strewn about after painstakingly re-organizing everything the night before. Before anyone says the cat was doing it, I keep my closet door shut constantly because the heat that builds up in the crawlspace behind it leaks into the room and overpowers my tiny window air conditioner. I used to have batteries in flashlights, cameras, you name it and they'd mysteriously drain after putting brand new ones in very recently.

Along with this, I feel I may have captured one of my cat's "visions" on camera. A year ago, I was doing some experiments with videotaping myself sleeping and then speeding it up to see what I actually looked like while blissfully peaceful. This particular clip, I had cut short because I had originally thought it was funny that the cat just happened to wake me up so viciously. Now that I am looking back on all the events that have accumulated, I am now considering the possibility that this was not a random cat alarm; rather something beyond explanation.

If you'll notice, right at the beginning he turns his head very fast off camera, then tracks something moving somewhere with a medium speed to the ceiling. He looks at it for a few seconds before turning around and sounding the warning bell. Disregard the captions; again, I had put this upload on Youtube humorously at first. He doesn't jump off the bed, implying he wants to leave my room to eat; he stares right at me the entire time and continually meows. A possible explanation could be bugs in the room. I have considered this many times, done tests with similar small objects being launched into the air in front of him but nothing. He's completely blind. He can't even follow my finger an inch in front of his face.

This is very open to discussion. I'd like to hear many different thoughts on this. I am not a liar, I take my paranormal things seriously and with a scientific air. I do not like to exaggerate claims.

#2 Safire973GStudy

Safire973GStudy

Pooky's Guardian/Board Tech

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Do you actually not have any room on either side of your bed or is that just the way the camera was positioned?  I have claustrophobia badly enough where if that was my bed, I'd never sleep in it lol

I personally believe that animals can see and sense things that we can't.  So, is your cat seeing something one would consider to be paranormal?  Most likely.  

99% of the time, my cats are the ones to alert my husband and I when we have a guest.  They don't run and wake me up persay, but they do the stare down with a couple of meows thrown in.  However, none of the ghosts we've had have been mean.  My husband deceased grandmother likes to give me grief now and then, but it's silly stuff.

It sounds as if your cat may not like whatever is hanging around your home.
I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

Posted Image

Torn by the storms in my head
Like a victim of fate
Born to regret
Still denied by the spirits of hell
A call to repent
Til the visions still stand in silence

#3 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

the cat is visually impaired? (actually blind?)   remember that cats also have amazing hearing and sense of smell...
he can't see you, but knows exactly where you are, and how asleep you are at a given moment.

what time is this occurring?

I'm not a #1 cat whisperer, but I can often figure out a lot of cat behaviors...
any chance there are bedbugs? or some tiny insect that bit him... as he seems to jump up with a feline "what the heck?!"
rather than watching something.  he's approaching you and waking you up, because you, as his  human minion/can opener are supposed to know
how to fix his discomfort.

Or, it's 3-4 am and he's a cat and he's bored.
(which is what it is 90% of the time.... )   One of mine gets a bee in her bonnet if I don't come to bed at my usual bed time.
"stupid human, if you stay on the internet much longer you'll be in no shape to pet me at 4am, or to get up at 6 to open my can of mushy foods... COME TO BED STUPID HUMAN SERVANT..."

(she doesn't actually SAY that, I am anthropomorphizing... but that's what she MEANS by poking me, jumping to the bed, and Meowing loudly.)

Edited by trin, 26 August 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#4 FFStudios

FFStudios

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

@Safire, the layout of my room has since changed since that recording. This is a picture of it when it was originally re-arranged:

Posted Image

@trin, that portion of the video was recorded somewhere around quarter to 6 in the morning. I am VERY very finicky about my bed. I don't like when people other than me lay down on it or in it; sitting on it is fine. I keep it meticulously clean, which is ironic considering the state of the rest of my room. There is a potential for bed bugs, but I'd like to think that it is null. The other times in which the cat has freaked out are all over the place. The story I told of last Wednesday happened around 8pm.

EDIT: An interesting bit was shared with me last night on a paranormal chat I had with a few other people. "Blindness is not the harbinger of blackness and deafness is not the harbinger for silence".

Edited by FFStudios, 26 August 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#5 Strider

Strider

Orb

• False Positive
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

I've had cats for nearly 13 years but only one at a time.  One eventually lost its hearing which led to it being surprised now and again when one of us walked into the room.

The tracking motion reminds me of how my cats have tracked a moth or even a bit of their own fur caught up in the air motion set up by a ceiling fan.

What would impress me about a paranormal event would be if your cat had seemed scared.  Our "only cat" has grown accustomed to the two adults living in our home.  Strangers and even neighbors who occasionally visit are cause for alarm.  Our present cat - another one up in age - commonly hides in the basement or under a bed when strangers arrive.  A paranormal "stranger" would likley elicit fearful meows and/or flight to cover.

From just the video I cannot dismiss that your cat was bored in the early morning and just wanted you to get up.

Edited by Strider, 26 August 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#6 FFStudios

FFStudios

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

The video was not supposed to be my main point; moreso to attempt to punctuate what I was saying.

#7 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Cats do sometimes startle at just about anything... (i think  sometimes mine is watching the  room, but is actually asleep and dreaming)
and then bounce around freaked  out at nothing.

is the "hey dad! wake up" a regular occurrence at about the same time all the time?

#8 FFStudios

FFStudios

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

No. It very rarely happens. My door is kept open because I can't stand having the a/c blowing right on my during the night and he'll generally leave before I wake up. It's very seldom that I wake up and he's still cuddling with me.

Edited by FFStudios, 27 August 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#9 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Heh, mine are all over me... all the time.

I sometimes am awake enough to see the two of them doing their "changing of the guard" ritual.

#10 Menet

Menet

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hi, FFStudios:

Without looking back at my Cat Fancy magazines, but relying on what I've read, cat eyes have 10x+ better sight than humans.    My cat LilKi (short for little kitten) is feral and prone to watching things that I don't see.    I've seen him startled many times but contribute it to his feral upbringing (loud noises, strangers, that kinda stuff) even then, he crouches w/ears back.   No spitting or hissing.    I've only seen him scared once.

He came came out of the back bedroom, sailed over the counter top that offers a break in the Great Room separating kitchen from living room, took out the spice rack and disappeared into the front of the house.  I didn't see him for hours.   That was one scared kitty.    I've never seen him make that leap again.   He usually skitters around the counter when being chased at play.    I'm thinking that if your cat was scared, he would have disappeared like a bolt of lightening.   They all have their own personalities and what I've stated is just my opinion.

I do think that animals are sensitive to the "unknown"  and how they react is due to instinct and how they position themselves in your life.

I LOVE KITTIES!!!
The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#11 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostMenet, on 01 September 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

Hi, FFStudios:

Without looking back at my Cat Fancy magazines, but relying on what I've read, cat eyes have 10x+ better sight than humans.    My cat LilKi (short for little kitten) is feral and prone to watching things that I don't see.    I've seen him startled many times but contribute it to his feral upbringing (loud noises, strangers, that kinda stuff) even then, he crouches w/ears back.   No spitting or hissing.    I've only seen him scared once.

He came came out of the back bedroom, sailed over the counter top that offers a break in the Great Room separating kitchen from living room, took out the spice rack and disappeared into the front of the house.  I didn't see him for hours.   That was one scared kitty.    I've never seen him make that leap again.   He usually skitters around the counter when being chased at play.    I'm thinking that if your cat was scared, he would have disappeared like a bolt of lightening.   They all have their own personalities and what I've stated is just my opinion.

I do think that animals are sensitive to the "unknown"  and how they react is due to instinct and how they position themselves in your life.

I LOVE KITTIES!!!

Me too! KITTIES!!!

When my pair are playing tag, Megumi (the oldest) does this amazing leap as she barrels out of the hallway and goes from on the floor at the end of the hallway to landing (sometimes ON  me) on the couch with an aprx 6 ft long arc...   every time I see it, it looks IMPOSSIBLE, but she seems to be in actual flight/ levitated for several seconds... they are amazing animals.    

If it weren't for the landing calmly and happily (rather than going to hide) or the changing direction to go barreling after her little brother Seimei... you'd think Cerberus were pursuing her...

Seimei will lurk on the top of the fridge, and then leap out to catch a bug in mid air. with no concern about landing... he even catches and eats wasps and hornets that get in... (I try to get them before he does, but sometimes the only sign that there WAS one, is a mark from a smushed bug that I now have to clean up...)

I'd also swear there is  a game of "OMG. LOOK AT THAT" and then laughing at the humans who will turn around, or go to figure out what they're looking at... or humans getting scared because they can't see something.

Edited by trin, 01 September 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#12 FFStudios

FFStudios

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

In your opinions, is it possible that the cat could be more curious than scared? Perhaps the spirit is benevolent rather than malevolent and thus more of a fleeting glimpse?

#13 Menet

Menet

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi, FFStudios!

You know your cat better than anyone here.    And your home.

Cats are not at all like dogs.    If you said to your dog, "Get that ghost!"   Your dog would rally to your cry.

Say that to your cat and he'll give you that squinty eyed, "Get that ghost yourself" look.

Cats are laid back.   They can live with you and anything else you share space with.    They aren't particular unless someone is into their stuff.

Look for the space that he doesn't mark as his own.    And then pay attention.    

The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#14 Menet

Menet

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yikes!   LilKi's favorite game is stalking me as I head for the bed.   It's my least favorite game and unnerves me more than any house ever has.   I suppose it's like Monster Under The Bed because I know he's going to attack before I make it into my bed.   He grabs my ankles and if I happen to leap before he makes the grab, he'll pounce on me once I get settled.   Cats.   It's a love/hate relationship.

View Posttrin, on 01 September 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

Me too! KITTIES!!!

When my pair are playing tag, Megumi (the oldest) does this amazing leap as she barrels out of the hallway and goes from on the floor at the end of the hallway to landing (sometimes ON  me) on the couch with an aprx 6 ft long arc...   every time I see it, it looks IMPOSSIBLE, but she seems to be in actual flight/ levitated for several seconds... they are amazing animals.    

If it weren't for the landing calmly and happily (rather than going to hide) or the changing direction to go barreling after her little brother Seimei... you'd think Cerberus were pursuing her...

Seimei will lurk on the top of the fridge, and then leap out to catch a bug in mid air. with no concern about landing... he even catches and eats wasps and hornets that get in... (I try to get them before he does, but sometimes the only sign that there WAS one, is a mark from a smushed bug that I now have to clean up...)

I'd also swear there is  a game of "OMG. LOOK AT THAT" and then laughing at the humans who will turn around, or go to figure out what they're looking at... or humans getting scared because they can't see something.

#15 FFStudios

FFStudios

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

In terms of "watching where he does not mark his territory", I have another theory. I've got a second cat, Cocoa, who is a year or two older than Shadow but without any health issues. She will NOT go upstairs in my house. On three occasions I have seen her climb the steps, get to the second to last step, look around, then hurriedly turn around and run back down the stairs. In addition, any of the times that I've brought her to my room in particular, as soon as I set her down, she speeds out of the room and down the stairs as fast as she can go. Nobody in our family knows why she's so skittish. Maybe she's more scared of whatever is here than Shadow is? Just a thought.

#16 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

cats, even cats that live peacefully together, have territories...
and sometimes time share like territories.

For example, in the afternoons, Seimei hogs my bed.  If I take a nap he's on top of me.
If it's late at night or early in the morning, that bed is totally Megumi's territory.  If I'm sleeping or lounging there she is right next to me or on top of me.

Also a particular bookcase in the living room, or the back of the couch, seems to me reserved for one cat or the other during particular periods of the day.
With occasional shared time in those spots at the 'changing of the guard' time.  

it's possible that while Cocoa and Shadow may share 90% of the house just fine, that particular part of the house is Shadow's personal domain.
Cocoa might be put off by scent, some sound in that part of the house (echoes), or EMF... she can't tell you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users