Free Skins
© Fisana

Someone Stole My Ovilus X - Buy Another Or Switch Devices?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DejaVuSoul

DejaVuSoul

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

Need some advice please.

My Ovilus X was stolen about 3 weeks ago [insert frustration level to the max here].

When I originally bought it, it was about $80-$100 less (depending where you look now) than it is now.

I don't know if I want to shell out another $220-$250 .. that's what I've seen lately, everywhere I've checked.. unless someone's seen them for less?

Anyway, before I invest again, do you think the Ovilus X is the best ESS device around right now? Or, does anyone think something is better?

I already have the DTD for the OX, so, well.

Thoughts on this? Ovilus X vs a competitor?

Posted Image

déjà

#2 Vlawde

Vlawde

Resident Grumpy Old Married Man Prone To Senior Moments

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

My personal opinion is the Ovilus and similar devices are useless. I've used one, also Franks Box and a radio scanner device. They spit out random words, and it's easy to try and fit those words into the particular situation/investigation. IMO using a digital recorder for EVP's is a much better route to take.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Pacific Paranormal Research Association: Documenting the paranormal and providing solutions to the living and the dead (and whatever else!)

Pacific Paranormal Research Association Myspace Page

Vlawdes Myspace Page

#3 trin

trin

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'm with Vlawde on this one.

Thinking from a POV of "if *I* were a ghost...." and think it would be very frustrating.
for starters "what is your name?"

I have an odd ethnic name, even my nickname is still odd/ethnic.
What are the chances that if the ghost were in MY situation they'd be able to get the box to cough up their unusual name.
Easy if you are Tom, John, William, Susan, or Marie...

How useful if you are Tziva, Gertrude, Trin Le, Chang, Chaim ...Bannafanafofana "but you can call me Princess..." ?

Or the "how did you die? what happened to you?" when it's something kind of unusual or weird.

In most of the cases where I've seen it used (unfortunately only the tv), it seems like there's a one word answer or sort of reply
and the wild speculation filling in the gaps.  (imagining very frustrated ghost going "That is NOT what I meant! dang nab it! stupid fleshies!" )

The level of ARRGGHHHH I'm imagining is like when I'm trying to communicate with a LIVING relative or friend who is losing their hearing but won't
wear their hearing aid, or keep it charged up.

Edited by trin, 26 September 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#4 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Disembodied Voice

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Do you have a smartphone?

I have little faith in the Ovilus.  I have seen some interesting things (like cussing when they're not loaded with swear words and like sound effects) but I mostly think of them as a toy to play with when you're bored on an investigation.

BUT... for $1.99 you can download I-Ovilus (for both iphones and android platforms) instead of buying the machine.  It works just as well as the original.  Save some money on the toy.

ArcusArcanum
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#5 evp

evp

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:anomalous audio recordings & avian photography

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostVlawde, on 24 September 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

My personal opinion is the Ovilus and similar devices are useless. I've used one, also Franks Box and a radio scanner device. They spit out random words, and it's easy to try and fit those words into the particular situation/investigation. IMO using a digital recorder for EVP's is a much better route to take.

I have to agree here except I'm still a firm believer that analog is better than digital.

Edited by evp, 02 November 2012 - 03:33 PM.

Posted Image
"Men who have excessive faith in their theories and ideas are not only ill
prepared in making discoveries; they also make poor observations."
---Claude Bernard---

#6 DTR

DTR

EVP

• GS Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

I was watching one of the latest youtube videos of Huff Paranormal, and he had the spirit box running at the same time as his Ovilus X, and he asked "can you make this say words?" or something like that, and the voices coming through was like "doesn't work", I'm pretty skeptical of them, but I'd love to see real evidence of this working.

DTR

Island Ghost Research - Youtube Channel

http://www.youtube.c...ndGhostResearch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users