Waverly Hills

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doublejinxed

doublejinxed

Orb

• GS Member
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Michigan-based artist and graphic designer with a healthy interest in the supernatural.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

My husband and I were in Louisville recently for the Powerman 5000 concert (amazing!) and decided to check out Waverly while we were there. There's a manufactured haunted house in the whole first floor for halloween (you end up running out the death tunnel being chased by a dude with a fake chainsaw:) and you could also take a mini-tour of the building. We did both. They did the tour in pitch black with absolutely no lights,  but obviously the environment wasn't ideal for any actual ghost hunting since there were screaming teenage girls running rampant around the area.

I didn't personally get any weird feelings anywhere in the building, though the tour was very interesting historically. I asked our guide what the scariest thing he'd ever experienced there was and he said he was doing rounds at the end of a night of tours and was walking down the stairs and felt what seemed to be a cane whack across his back and it actually brought him to his knees and he had a big mark when he checked later (or so he said...)

He also said one night around 2004 he and some other guides were hanging around a burn barrel outside keeping warm when they heard screaming inside. They went up to the 4th floor, opened a door from the stairwell and 3 teenage boys were sobbing and saying thank you thank you. Which was weird, because usually trespassers will run away and hide so they don't get arrested. He showed us the doors- there are no locks on them and they are rusty, but all of them swing easily. They don't jam or even latch at all. The boys had broken in with an ax into a boarded up window and the door had ax marks all through it as if they were swinging at it with everything they had. They said they were surrounded by shadow people who wouldn't let them leave. And you can see the the force they were hitting this door with- that was pretty cool.

He took us up to the 4th floor to "look at shadow people" and I thought I saw things a couple of times, but you can't really discount external factors (such as the lack of windows and debris that may be in the room and also just the darkness and the power of suggestion) It is supposedly easier to see the shadow people when you have a frame of reference, so he asked for a volunteer to walk down to the end of the hall alone and walk back slowly so we could see things moving around them, and of course my husband jumped at the chance. At one point I did see him kind of stop and he said that he felt something run by him that was definitely not a normal breeze.

Other than that, our visit was pretty uneventful (except for the poor girl in our haunted house group that was sobbing and fell into the fetal position by the time we were in the death tunnel... probably she shouldn't go to any more haunted houses...)

Tha mo chridhe maille ruibh

#2 daphnerose

daphnerose

Ghoul

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for sharing!  I've seen and heard ghosts all my life but I still can't handle halloween haunted houses and scary movies..go figure.  I'd be fetal for sure! tee hee
daphnerose

#3 darwin

darwin

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

in 2006 when my oldest was 10, we planned a road trip to D.C. in which we would come close enough to waverly to stop by if we wanted to. having seen taps and other shows i watch, my kids knew all about it, so when we, jokingly, informed my 10 year old of our (not real) plans to visit, he just about had a fit. it started off with a nonchalant "no we're not" and ended in a panicked "i'm not going!!"
i just about died laughing.
i'd really like to see it for myself one day, but obviously without kids. :happy0194:

#4 Safire973GStudy

Safire973GStudy

Board Tech

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

I'd love to get into Waverly.  I have a sort of strange fascination with that place.

I fully believe that not everyone is meant to see things; some things you just aren't meant to know.

Posted Image

Torn by the storms in my head
Like a victim of fate
Born to regret
Still denied by the spirits of hell
A call to repent
Til the visions still stand in silence

#5 doublejinxed

doublejinxed

Orb

• GS Member
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Michigan-based artist and graphic designer with a healthy interest in the supernatural.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

It's for sure worth seeing! The mini tour was only a half hour and I could have followed the guide around for hours listening to his stories. We want to go back and try the overnight one someday:)

Tha mo chridhe maille ruibh

#6 Leogirl13

Leogirl13

EVP

• GS Member
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:reading,dancing,cooking,music,movies,and antiques

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

I love Waverly!!! I go around twice a year but can never seem to make it for the haunted house. If you can spring it go for a private investigation (it's pricey at $1000) so the building is quiet and you have it to yourself pretty much. (we try to split the cost 10 ways) We've had some amazing experiances there.
I am what you will be...

#7 scip

scip

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I am a Ghost Hunter from a group in Central Minnesota, as a group we are science orientated and very skeptical about what we see. Aside from that I personally am really friendly.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

the history of Waverly is interesting, but sadly distorted due to the ghost hunting fad making millions of dollars. there are many lies told by the staff and owners of the establishment. the 60,000 deaths number is over exaggerated and records show that it was maybe about 5,000-7,000 in the whole 50 years of it being open. There is no record of a nurse ever killing herself in 502 or a nurse named Mary Hillenburg on record ever working there.(and some ex tour guides say that this story was actually made up from a local band and adopted by Keith Age as "true" fact) though on record 2 nurses did die. Due to TB. The body chute was made to transport supplies but LATER adopted to transport bodies. Its sad, the storys can be fun, but should never be lied about to make a profit.
http://www.hauntedam...obbyZoeller.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users