• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 G man

G man

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hello, new to the forum. I have numerous hunting cameras on my property for capturing wildlife reconnaissance. I have numerous cam's that are white flash, red glow, no glow and HD 720 video cams posted all over 800 acres. There are some dwellings miles away but, nothing within a mile of this location. A small graveyard is approx. 2-3 miles down the road. I've captured many weird but, explainable things on the cams. I saw this on my DSC W220 V3800 Homebrew trail cam. This camera is a regular Sony W220 handheld cam modified to be a game camera as you'll see in the picture. These are alternative builds we make instead of buying unreliable commercial cam's in the big box stores etc. The V3700 is an extra Vivitar 3700 slave flash that was used on old 35mm cameras mounted on the tops of them. Extremely bright! The camera is a 12mp so zooming of far off animals is super without serious pixilation. This orb is approx. 15 feet from the camera so the zoom is very easy and clear and the V3700 has it lit up real nice. I added the zoomed and cropped image of the orb and it's almost transparent and has the traits of an orb having the comet like trailing tail and a forward motion look. Normally, pic's of orbs are blurry, foggy, sunshine blasting them etc. but, this is majorly clear and crisp. The camera activates from heat sensing and movement. See what you think.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by G man, 29 January 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#2 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Orbs like this are possibly moisture ( rain or snow ) or dust or debris of some kind moving past the camera in a light wind. It is very likely to be fairly close to the camera even though it seems to be further away to our eyes. Judging by the type of flash, and it's position to the camera, it is unlikely to be smaller dust really close to the lens. But it's not too far away.

The movement of the orb is probably from right to left across the image, as the "tail" of this type of orb usually points in the direction of movement. Probably because the flash dies off a bit slowly after it fires. All my snow and rain orb pictures show this.

#3 G man

G man

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I have many images of dust, rain, water, spider webs, insects, birds and none of mine on 8 different cameras have produced an image such as this. It appears the orb is moving left to right to me if the tail is on the left of it. Do you have some examples of what your talking about I can compare please?

Thanks in advance.

#4 Snowlord

Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'll dig something up for you, hopefully by tomorrow.

#5 Snowlord

Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Ok ...

The weather was predicting rain and high winds for tonight ( here for me, anyway ) which is why I waited a day to post my reply. I thought I would get some new examples to show. So I took some new shots tonight out in the rain to confirm my statements made earlier above. I set my camera to the closest settings I could get to the original shot posted here and I snapped some raindrops flying by.

In this shot I faced into the wind and got a raindrop orb that looks fairly similar to the original picture in light and color, but with no tail as it was coming directly at me ...

Posted Image

In these shots I turned to my right and shot with the wind blowing fairly hard from left to right in the image. You can see the tail pointing off to the right, in the direction of movement of the raindrop. Also the tails vary in length due to changes in the wind speed ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These two images are of snow falling fairly quickly in a downdraft. They were taken a few years ago. They show strong tails in the direction of movement.

Posted Image

http://i22.photobuck...NewImage3-1.jpg

#6 Stride

Stride

Apport

• GS Member
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation, Photography (Actually, more than an interest, I'm a professional), Producing Video/DVDs (A side job), Music (Really into Dream Theater), Movies (Horror)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

As always, excellent examples by Snowlord. Just thought I'd throw in that tail length will be affected not only by windspeed, but by shutter speed as well.

#7 Menet

Menet

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Now that is simply amazing to me....the snow falling.   Is it being lifted upward by winds?   How exactly does that work...again, if you please.

View PostSnowlord, on 30 January 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Ok ...

The weather was predicting rain and high winds for tonight ( here for me, anyway ) which is why I waited a day to post my reply. I thought I would get some new examples to show. So I took some new shots tonight out in the rain to confirm my statements made earlier above. I set my camera to the closest settings I could get to the original shot posted here and I snapped some raindrops flying by.

In this shot I faced into the wind and got a raindrop orb that looks fairly similar to the original picture in light and color, but with no tail as it was coming directly at me ...

Posted Image

In these shots I turned to my right and shot with the wind blowing fairly hard from left to right in the image. You can see the tail pointing off to the right, in the direction of movement of the raindrop. Also the tails vary in length due to changes in the wind speed ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These two images are of snow falling fairly quickly in a downdraft. They were taken a few years ago. They show strong tails in the direction of movement.

Posted Image

http://i22.photobuck...NewImage3-1.jpg

The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#8 Snowlord

Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostMenet, on 31 January 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

... Now that is simply amazing to me....the snow falling.   Is it being lifted upward by winds?   How exactly does that work...again, if you please ...

The snow is falling down in that image, not being lifted up by the wind. It is actually being pushed down quickly by a downdraft. Gently falling snow ( or rain ) under most conditions will make a normal looking orb. Dependent on camera conditions such as exposure and shutter speed ( as Stride added ) and all those other settings. When the flake or drop is moving quickly it will display a comet-like tail in the direction of it's movement, the length and clarity of which will depend on all those settings in the camera coupled with wind speed conditions and such.

My guess as to why this happens is that the flash comes on quickly, but dies off more slowly thus illuminating the moving flake/drop with a progressively dimmer light till it is gone. This would cause a gradually dimming streak in the direction of movement of the flake/drop or even dust or debris under the right conditions. The resulting effect would be anywhere from mild to dramatic depending on the strength of the flash and the speed of the object and all those things. I got lucky with the snow shot.

#9 G man

G man

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Looks like the orb has been debunked. Thanks for the time spent and examples of the theory. Now I can go back in that area and hunt without fears of Hank hunting with me being a disturbance. Funny how my camera acted on a single rain drop when none have ever done that before. The PIR's are not that sensitive or I'd have a SD card slammed with no animal images. always something that makes the hobby exciting. Thanks again for your hard work. WC

#10 evp

evp

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:anomalous audio recordings & avian photography

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I believe this is common with the first curtain and the flash sync.

Further info can be found at this link. I remember seeing this when I took a flash course :)

http://www.cambridge...era-flash-2.htm

Edited by evp, 31 January 2013 - 06:31 PM.

Posted Image
"Men who have excessive faith in their theories and ideas are not only ill
prepared in making discoveries; they also make poor observations."
---Claude Bernard---

#11 Snowlord

Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostG man, on 31 January 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

...  Thanks for the time spent and examples of the theory ...

No problem at all. That's what they pay me for. Well, I'm retired ... so someone is paying me for it anyway.  :)

Thanks for the link, EVP. It's good to see personal experience translated into proper technical information. They even had a similar snow picture there. Nice.

#12 Menet

Menet

Demon

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

Thanks all, its been fun....Snowlord, you take the best pictures.   Keep looking, G man, ya never know what will turn up unexpectedly.   Hi, evp.  I go out in the golden hours, preferably early morning but it's way too cold for me these days.   I seen your signature line.   lol
The ultimate test of skepticism is questioning your own beliefs-attributed to Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) Mathematician & Astronomer

#13 petunia4998

petunia4998

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Playing Devil's Advocate here:  but what if it's not?  Similar photos can definitely be taken but there is only one photo taken by the OP and it might very be a true orb.

#14 petunia4998

petunia4998

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Oops, might "very WELL" be a true orb.

#15 Snowlord

Snowlord

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

View Postpetunia4998, on 01 February 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

... Playing Devil's Advocate here:  but what if it's not?  Similar photos can definitely be taken but there is only one photo taken by the OP and it might very be a true orb ...  

Yes, for sure. There is no way to prove from just a photograph whether it is something paranormal that is very similar to something normal, or actually just something normal. All we have to help with that decision is probability, which is largely in favor of the normal explanation. But nothing can be 100% definite under these conditions ( photograph .. internet .. etc. ).

#16 evp

evp

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:anomalous audio recordings & avian photography

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

View Postpetunia4998, on 01 February 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Playing Devil's Advocate here:  but what if it's not?  Similar photos can definitely be taken but there is only one photo taken by the OP and it might very be a true orb.

With all respect you would have to prove that an orb has been documented as "proof" to be paranormal before you could suggest that it's paranormal :) So far orbs have only been explained as natural causes. I'm unsure that the paranormal can be photographed or taped. With the innumerable teams across the world, there are few examples that raise an eyebrow.

Here's a great article to read:

http://www.assap.ac....one Theory.html

How to produce good orb pictures:

http://www.assap.ac..../Greatorbs.html

Edited by evp, 02 February 2013 - 12:53 PM.

Posted Image
"Men who have excessive faith in their theories and ideas are not only ill
prepared in making discoveries; they also make poor observations."
---Claude Bernard---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users