7 replies to this topic

#1 dtommy79

dtommy79

Banshee

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

What is the best scientific way to verify if you think paranormal activity happened somewhere?

Has any paranormal activity been verified through this method?

#2 Tobyk

Tobyk

False Positive

• False Positive
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Photography
    Crime investigations

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

Interesting no one has replied. I have been watching for responses to your inquiry. Perhaps others feel this has been answered in other posts. Don't know.

I joined to try to get some education on ghost/spirt research, but, (pardon the pun) the forum seems pretty dead.

Maybe all the good questions have been asked and answered.

#3 Frater OEV

Frater OEV

Cold Spot

• False Positive
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

I don't think there is a valid scientific way to verify paranormal activity, hence why it is paranormal, and not just a field of (legitimate) scientific study. I do believe that we will eventually get to the point where we can verify these things, and they will stop being paranormal and just be an esoteric field of science. Unfortunately, we aren't there yet.
As of now, personal experience, and a solid understanding that many things that "seem" paranormal, simply aren't is the best way to prove it to yourself. Be willing to debunk your experiences. I don't see any way to prove it to someone else, aside from bringing them along to places where they may experience something.
V∴E∴I
93 93/93

#4 AugustineGStudy

AugustineGStudy

Creeping Death

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,475 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostTobyk, on 22 August 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

Interesting no one has replied. I have been watching for responses to your inquiry. Perhaps others feel this has been answered in other posts. Don't know.

I joined to try to get some education on ghost/spirt research, but, (pardon the pun) the forum seems pretty dead.

Maybe all the good questions have been asked and answered.

Not to go on a tangent away from the subject of this thread, but the Ghoststudy forum has been around for more than a decade (in one version or another) and we're coming up on nine years for this particular incarnation of the forum.  That's a lot of threads comprising a lot of information.  A lot of theories have evolved, been debunked, or otherwise discussed at length until those participating in the discussion had nothing left to add--at the time.  Many members have come and gone once their questions were answered, or they'd shared all of their personal stories, or they ran out of ideas to discuss.  Even though the forum is not very active right now, there is still a wealth of information in past threads.  If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend that you go back through some of the older topics and see if you find what you're looking for there.  If not, feel free to start a new thread.

Posted Image

Many thanks to SilentWalkerGStudy for the awesome banner!

#5 evp

evp

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Interests:anomalous audio recordings & avian photography

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

From an empirical standpoint, the abundance of evidence that presents itself comes in the form of audio. EVP and AVP have a signature that is different from human vocal characteristics. One would require hypothesis based experimentation and use a bell jar, a faraday cage and a high quality audio recorder.

To simplify the faraday cage would rule out extraneous sources such as cell phones, radios etc. The bell jar would rule out external voices as sound cannot travel in a vacuum and and high quality audio recorder would limit the possibility of artifact created by inferior devices.

As mentioned initially EVP/AVP has their own signature with frequency response lower than 300 Hz and exhibit very flat vocal banding. The human voice does not carry this signature and using a program like Adobe Audition’s Spectral Frequency Display, the telltale signs can be determined fairly easily if the capture is strong enough.

Unfortunately, the requirements aren’t for the weak of heart. It takes an understanding in the scientific method, the ability to use a rather expensive audio program and willingness to be exceedingly patient.
True paranormal audio captures come  at their own time and even pioneers such as Sarah Estep put in countless hours daily initially before contact was made on a regular basis.

Edited by evp, 24 August 2013 - 05:30 PM.

Posted Image
"Men who have excessive faith in their theories and ideas are not only ill
prepared in making discoveries; they also make poor observations."
---Claude Bernard---

#6 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Paranormal Stuff, Computer Games, Gadgets

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hi evp.  What is AVP?  I'm fairly new at this and haven''t heard of it.  You mentioned that it has fairly flat vocal banding. Does that mean that on a program like Audacity the line looks fairly flat as opposed to human speech which looks jagged?  So much to learn!
What now, Holmes?

#7 evp

evp

Ghostlight

• GS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Interests:anomalous audio recordings & avian photography

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

AVP is aural voice phenomena. These are captures heard at the time of recording and is sound phenomena whereas EVP is EMF based and can only be heard after playback from a recording device. Audacity only shows amplitude (loudness) and doesn't have a frequency based display. Adobe Audition has the spectral frequency display which my reference was made to.

Posted Image
"Men who have excessive faith in their theories and ideas are not only ill
prepared in making discoveries; they also make poor observations."
---Claude Bernard---

#8 InquiringMind

InquiringMind

Ectoplasm

• GS Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Paranormal Stuff, Computer Games, Gadgets

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thanks, evp!  I'll put Adobe Audition on my "to get and learn" list.
What now, Holmes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users