Mystery Man

• You cannot reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic

#1 gordo

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi everyone. This is a pic I took about 11-16-2015 in Big Cypress Swamp.I hike out there sometimes and take some random photos. While viewing them on my computer, my wife asked about the man in the photo, which I didn't see. Most people are sure it is a man or spirit, but I'm thinking it's a pareidolia. You can see him in the center of pic wearing a khaki hat.
The camera is a Nikon p500 set to auto, and was zoomed in somewhat, I don't remember how much.  I have cropped it here for posting, here is a dropbox link to the original.
hxxps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37759044/mystery%20man.JPG
Replace the xx in link.
What is your opinion?

Attached Files

Edited by gordo, 26 December 2015 - 04:14 PM.

#2 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,649 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

Hey Gordo, welcome to the forums!  Thanks for the direct link by the way, it's much clearer.  I wish we knew if there were rocks or whatever behind the trees, I'd say pereidolia, but it really does look like a guy in a jungle hat. Are you sure there wasn't anyone else in the area? It would more obviously be rock/pareidolia but the flesh colored area in the middle is throwing me off! ;) Posted Image
My Signature
Posted Image

#3 CDS

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

Looks like a fleshy to me...

Posted Image
My Signature

#4 MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

Using the large link, I am leaning more toward pareidolia. It does make you take that second and third glace, I'll give it that!

God Bless
Graves
My Signature
Who you gonna call?

#5 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

Wow, good capture...  I'm not sure what to think...
My Signature

Posted Image

"Life doesn't get easier...

You just get stronger."

#6 CuriousGeorge

Orb

• GS Member
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Applying as much science as possible to paranormal investigation.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:47 PM

Blow it up enough, you can clearly see that his shoulders and chest are nothing more than two fronds of a plant. Durn it.

Attached File  mystery man2.jpg   403.63K   20 downloads

#7 Vlawde

Seance

• GS Member
  • 11,649 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking the flesh color may just be browned plant. Still a very cool photo. I love all that green!
My Signature
Posted Image

#8 Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,469 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy good people and wholesome activities.

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:59 AM

I'll have to play around with it. To me it looks like it could be a fleshy.... but not ruling out supernatural.
My Signature
Posted Image
Check out the GhostStudy.com "YouTube Channel!" Click here

#9 Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:46 AM

Okay, I enhanced it a bit and here's what I see that may or may not be relevant.
I see what looks like his left hand with curled fingers right about where it should be in the photo and it seems to be flesh-toned as well (circled).
Also I see what could be flesh just beyond a rolled up shirt sleeve (circled).

Also, I'm thinking we're seeing black shadows on his white shirt and not white leaves forming a shirt.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm still not ruling out the supernatural
My Signature
Posted Image

#10 Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:33 AM

Another photo I found of Big Cypress Swamp, in Florida.

Posted Image
My Signature
Posted Image

#11 SpukiKitty

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:39 AM

View PostMortimerGraves, on 26 December 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

Using the large link, I am leaning more toward pareidolia. It does make you take that second and third glace, I'll give it that!

God Bless
Graves

Same, here.

Paredolia...but does a very good job at convincing you otherwise. The "hat" and "shirt" are leaves and the "face/head" is some dried brownish stuff on the ends of slightly closer leaves.
My Signature
Posted Image

#12 gordo

False Positive

• GS Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. There weren't any rocks back there and I didn't see any people. I've noticed when hiking that palm fronds do play tricks with your eyes so when I spot something unusual in the distance I zoom and take a pic for viewing later. This one I thought was a possible Florida panther that was a little to the right of the mystery man, but the photo proved otherwise.
Thanks again, and great site, with honest opinions.

#13 SpukiKitty

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

View Postgordo, on 27 December 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. There weren't any rocks back there and I didn't see any people. I've noticed when hiking that palm fronds do play tricks with your eyes so when I spot something unusual in the distance I zoom and take a pic for viewing later. This one I thought was a possible Florida panther that was a little to the right of the mystery man, but the photo proved otherwise.
Thanks again, and great site, with honest opinions.

Glad we could help.
My Signature
Posted Image

#14 MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

Have to play Devil's Advocate once in a while to just keep sharp. In Jim's last blow up, it could be said that it is a man in a khaki jacket and tie. He would have dark hair and a mustache throw back to another era. Cowboy hat or sombrero. The leaves marking the tie are especially clear. Just saying...

God Bless
Graves
My Signature
Who you gonna call?

#15 Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

I agree with leaves and plant pareidolia. I don't see it as anything else.

#16 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

I almost thought it was Wild Bill Hickok reincarnated as a trail guide ^_^
My Signature

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

#17 Jim@GhostStudy

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

Well, I have to point out the believers side of things because I feel like I'm the only one.... so I stand my ground.  ;)
My Signature
Posted Image

#18 vave82

The Fairy with an Attitude

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Family time, my pets, travelling, outdoors, shopping, pretty things and paranormal - quite a good mix here!

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:57 AM

Jim, I am with you and Graves on this! Looking at your enhancements and the original, I am drifting further away from the pareidolia I thought it may be... It almost looks like someone from a different era. If it was a real fleshy, I think you would see a clearer and more defined figure (not an expert though, so just guessing based on my photo experiences in jungle areas nearby where I live). I know that every location and situation are different, but I have taken so many photos of jungly areas and sent them to my parents back in Europe to show them, I have never seen a bunch of fronds or leaves that may look like a human fugure. And I am terrible with pareidolia, I am one of those people that never ever picks up things in photos that 'may' look like something else - I saw this straight away and the silhouette just doesn't look like just a bunch of leaves to me! Just sayin' :)

#19 MortimerGraves

Incubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

Vave82, I have not flip-flopped, I still think pareidolia. It is just that I wanted to point out why it could be mistaken for a ghost. Notice I said "The leaves marking the tie are especially clear." The figure would be grossly out of shape. But it is a good catch and a good discussion!

God Bless
Graves
My Signature
Who you gonna call?

#20 NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:48 AM

View Postvave82GStudy, on 28 December 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

Jim, I am with you and Graves on this! Looking at your enhancements and the original, I am drifting further away from the pareidolia I thought it may be... It almost looks like someone from a different era. If it was a real fleshy, I think you would see a clearer and more defined figure (not an expert though, so just guessing based on my photo experiences in jungle areas nearby where I live). I know that every location and situation are different, but I have taken so many photos of jungly areas and sent them to my parents back in Europe to show them, I have never seen a bunch of fronds or leaves that may look like a human fugure. And I am terrible with pareidolia, I am one of those people that never ever picks up things in photos that 'may' look like something else - I saw this straight away and the silhouette just doesn't look like just a bunch of leaves to me! Just sayin' :)

I lean both ways on this picture...  It definitely looks like it could be pareidolia, but it also looks like it could be someone from another dimension/era like what was mentioned.  I like to believe the latter :)
My Signature

Posted Image

You just get stronger."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com