Free Skins
© Fisana

Does Anyone Else See Things In Their Peripheral Vision And Are Gone When Looking Straight At It?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

I am pretty sure I mentioned before about something that happened at work on a Saturday.  I work for a (computer) processor company.  The lab I work in has windows on all the exterior walls in the lab.

I came in on a Saturday 6-8 months ago.  The lights in the lab are automatically turned on M-F 7am-7pm and turned off the rest of the time.  We can turn them on when we come in after hours.  They will stay on for 2 hours and then turn off again.  The lights were off that day, no one else was here in the lab.  I turned the lights on and went to my workbench.  I went to the restroom for my morning constitutional.  The lights in there are off and are motion activated.  They come on and I am pleased to know the handicap stall is available as the first stall when you walk in.

I am sitting there and about done when a small gust of air blows across the back of my neck.  I immediately look up to see where the AC vent is in the ceiling.  As I look up and see that it is much farther away than I had expected and thought "huh".  The motion activated urinal flushed...by itself!  Needless to say I was done and out of the bathroom ASAP!!!

Our lab is not just one big space.  It is more like 2 sides and has 2 - 30' hallways that join the 2 sides.  One of these hallways is where the bathroom & break room is located.  My workbenches are aligned with the same hallway with the break room / bathroom.  The hallways, like the bathroom and break room have motion activated lights.

After the gust of air and urinal flushing, I was keeping my eyes open around here.  More times than I can count, I have caught something moving out of the corner of my eye.  It was in the other side of the lab seen through that hallway.  I have seen the lights in the hallway come on during the weekend when I knew that no one else was here.  I started leaving my phone on my bench and started taking pictures (LOTS) of the view from my bench and down the hallway.  I never saw anything show up in the pics.

Since this all started at work, I occasionally see something out of the corner of my eye.  When I turn to look, I see nothing.

I feel like I have really good peripheral vision.  I seem to recall hearing that some things (supernatural) are seen indirectly...is this true?  Or am I just getting old and my eyesight is going :-)
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#2 Snowlord

Snowlord

Ghoststudy's Official Photo Expert

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Chess ... Nature ... Astronomy ... Kicking Butt...stuff like that.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:48 PM

I think it is pretty natural to see things move or flicker out of the corner of the eye. I think that is just a normal function of the way the eye is set up to work.

#3 NightWalkerGStudy

NightWalkerGStudy

Pooky's Keeper

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts
  • Interests:paranormal happenings, music, video games, smartphones, politics, keeping my fangs clean.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

I agree with Snowlord.  It could be something like your eyes adjusting to the lighting in the room, maybe passing a few tears, or it may have been a bug flying around.  I thought I saw a black shadow run across the room the other day, but it ended up being a fly.  I have seen shadows out of the corner of my eye before, and have also come face to face with a couple shadow ghosts that were peeking out from around a corner.  I don't believe I was seeing things then :)
Posted Image

#4 MsISeeYou

MsISeeYou

Apport

• GS Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:29 PM

Louczar, that's the main way I see Spirits.  They are normally off to the side and rarely appear in front of me.  There has been many times where I'm on the computer and someone is standing off to the left or right.  I'm thinking to myself... now look at that.  Who is standing there watching me.  It's clear as day... so I turn quickly to look at it, and poof!  It's gone.  Minutes later, it's there again.

When my father died in 2009, I started playing B.B. King because he was a big fan. Less than five minutes later, there he stood... off to the side.  I decided I'd had enough of BB, so I played another song, and it stopped in its tracks.  I guess my father was saying put B.B. King back on!  So I started playing his songs again, and the figure stood there.  They are always standing off to the side, and on some occasions, it will move and come closer.  It happens all the time.  I liken this to a person seeing a mouse. (not saying I have mice, but we had one or two when I was a child) :confused0068:

But you can be sitting in the chair and "think" you just saw something run past because you saw something move via your peripheral vision.  And then the mice runs again, and you see it, but it's peripheral vision that first brought your attention to the mouse in the first place.  To me, it's just as if I were looking straight at it, because we can clearly see something standing off to the side, or moving off to the side whether it's to the left or right.

Elaine

#5 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:41 AM

Thank you for the feedback.  The weird thing is at work, when I had (thought I) seen something out of the corner of my eye, it was something passing between me and the windows across the lab.  As if someone had walked past the hallway in the lab.  I have gone as far as getting up from my bench and run the 30' to the other side of the lab to see who it was...to find no one there.
Life is short, enjoy it!

#6 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Crop Circle

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

Could it be something outside the windows casting shadows inside the windows?

I am inclined to think that it's creep factor.  You had an unsettling experience so your mind fills all sorts of things and you probably do see movement out of the corner of your eyes occasionally for some totally explainable reason and your apprehension turns it into all the time.

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen.  But my experience is that I know exactly what I've seen out my peripheral vision when I've seen something but when I'm anticipating something I see just vague nothings that are all about my worry that I'm going to see something.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright

#7 Chris Charles

Chris Charles

EVP

• GS Member
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Anything odd and crazy, who doesn't love a good mystery.

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

I've seen things in my peripheral vision so often I'm not too shocked by it any more, sometimes I see off shapes that look like animals, or even people walking, but the moment you look straight at it, it's gone, you are definitely not alone in this.
Things go bang in the night, but don't be scared.

I do a series of ghost report videos on youtube, feel free to check them out https://www.youtube....y4-p5N_JYw50-SQ

#8 CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge

Spirit

• GS Member
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Applying as much science as possible to paranormal investigation.

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

If you see a lot of 'things' in your peripheral vision, it's a good idea to go to an eye doc for a glaucoma test. That is a symptom.

#9 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,441 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

I've had a theory about why people see things from their peripheral vision they can't see straight on. If you assume spirits/interdimensional entities or whatever vibrate at a different frequency, consider this.....on LED readouts like car radios, some monitors etc, have you ever noticed of they seem to flicker when viewed from the side in your peripheral vision, but look solid straight on?  Maybe something similar to this is happening in some cases
Posted Image

#10 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

How about Flicker Fusion Rate?

#11 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,441 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

Can you explain from the point of view from someone in your field, Michelle?
Posted Image

#12 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

I will try - The retina has two types o f photo-receptors cones and rods. Cones are responsible for color vision and central acuity, while rods are designed for peripheral vision and scotopic or night vision. The cones are designed for daytime vision and require greater light while the rods are more sensitive to dim light. The flicker fusion rate is different for rods and cones. What this means it you have a strobe light firing at a low frequency you will see the light flashing on an off. If you increase the frequency to the point where the recovery period of the photo-receptors is exceeded, then the light appears constant. The flicker fusion rate of the cones system and the rod system are different - this is why when you look at a computer screen, especially older designs you see the screen flicker more if you are not looking straight at the screen. LCD or liquid crystal displays are polarized in nature and they filter horizontal light so if you look off axis the image will disappear, also if you wear polarized sunglasses the the image can not be seen. This often happens at the gas pump when you are trying to read the display. Theoretically, if an apparition is trying to reveal itself photopically, it will do so with low luminance and be more sensitive to the peripheral vision or the rod photo-receptors which are more sensitive in scotopic (dark light) or mesopic (medium light)  environment. This may be why more ghost sightings happen after dark.  Be easy on me, it has been a long day.

#13 Vlawde

Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,441 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the explanation! It makes sense! I feel better about my (unproven) theory
Posted Image

#14 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Vlawde!  That was my very 1st attempt at explaining something in my field. :)

#15 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

You did good, Kid.  ;)

#16 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:02 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 14 January 2016 - 09:47 PM, said:

You did good, Kid.  ;)
Wow!! Thanks Jim!!!!

#17 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:24 AM

Thank you very much for that explanation.  That was awesome.  My eyesight, when last checked about 2 years ago) was 20-50 in one eye and 20-70 in the other.  No other issues discovered by them.
Life is short, enjoy it!

#18 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:29 AM

View PostLouczar, on 15 January 2016 - 06:24 AM, said:

Thank you very much for that explanation.  That was awesome.  My eyesight, when last checked about 2 years ago) was 20-50 in one eye and 20-70 in the other.  No other issues discovered by them.
You are very welcome. I am not the best 'explainer' in the world ;) so I am glad it made sense.

#19 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

I have seen more than my share of "things" out of the corner of my eyes at home recently.  Even the night before last, I saw what I thought looked like a small shadow show up briefly at the base of our bedroom door.  The door is not far from when my dogs pillow is that he sleeps on.  He did not move or wake at all.  I passed it off as maybe I was tired/ my eyes playing tricks on me.  Last night while my wife and I were in the kitchen, my dog barked.  He never barks in the house.  Not if someone rings the doorbell or anything else.  My wife looked at each other and walked into the living room to see him looking towards the closet door that is under our stairs and right next to our bedroom door.

We saw nothing and I said nothing to my wife (she would not be keen to know I have seen stuff out of the corner of my eye).  During the rest of the evening, he looked that same direction several times.  I let him get on the recliner with me.  After a little bit, he moved around to get comfortable and stared at the closet door again for a good 30-40 seconds and then back at me.  He then decided he had to be right next to me rather than curled up next to my legs.

He did not react any more the rest of the night.
Life is short, enjoy it!

#20 the entity

the entity

EVP

• GS Member
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:I do not have a paranormal group or team and have only investigated haunting a few times but have been studying the paranormal for many years now.I am always interested in new information and talking with others reguarding theories and paranormal events so with that said...ready...set...go!

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:09 PM

Once in a while I'll get suprts where I start seeing things out of the corner of my eyes,it might be months before it happens but for about a week I'll keep seeing things out of the corner of my eyes;then nothing...weird