MacQdor

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:27 AM

Creepy True Tale Tuesday: The Thornton Health Poltergeist

https://paranormal-m...th-poltergeist/

In the 1970s, in Thornton Heath, England, a family was tormented by poltergeist phenomena that started one August night when they were woken in the middle of the night by a blaring bedside radio that had somehow turned itself on and tuned in to a foreign-language station. This was the beginning of a string of events that lasted nearly four years.
Attitude is your acceptance of the natural laws, or your rejection of the natural laws

#2 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

True may not necessarily be applcable.

I realize Wikipedia isn't always accurrate, but Fodor was widely recognized for his poltergeist studies. Here's a quote with reference. I'm reluctant to call anything true from a user account from 75 years ago :)

In 1938, Fodor investigated the Thornton Heath poltergeist case that involved Mrs. Forbes. According to Rosemary Guiley "Fodor asserted that the psychosis was an episodic mental disturbance of schizophrenic character, and that Mrs. Forbes' unconscious mind was responsible for the activities finally determined to be fraudulent. Fodor eventually identified the cause as sexual trauma that had occurred in Mrs. Forbes's childhood, and had been repressed."[6] Because he was skeptical of the case, Fodor was heavily criticized by spiritualists and was dismissed from his post at the International Institute for Psychical Research. The spiritualist Arthur Findlay, the founder of institute did not approve of his research and resigned. Fodor was attacked in the Spiritualist newspaper, Psychic News which he sued for libel.[6]

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Edited by EVP, 19 December 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#3 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

I think I would trust Paranormal-Magazine.com over Wikipedia.

Interesting stuff... thanks for sharing MacQdor!  :)

#4 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

I hope you not discrediting Fodor's research from a mention in Wikipedia. If that's the case everyone in the world would be discredited because of their database. Fodor pioneered poltergeist research. Read about Fodor's research. His studies exceed all of us here combined including intellect. He apparently documented REAL poltergeist activity. He was mentored by Carl Jung. I'm sure you know that great man. Knowledge is a powerful tool to those willing to see.

Edited by EVP, 19 December 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#5 MacQdor

MacQdor

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

This EZ

Well let this be an example of not jumping the gun (by just reading the title).  EVP you're referring to a 1938 case with the same name.  The link I posted is totally different and didn't involve Fordor at all.   We're talking a 30+ year difference

In the 1970s, in Thornton Heath, England, a family was tormented by poltergeist phenomena that started one August night when they were woken in the middle of the night by a blaring bedside radio that had somehow turned itself on and tuned in to a foreign-language station. This was the beginning of a string of events that lasted nearly four years.
A lampshade repeatedly was knocked to the floor by unaided hands. During the Christmas season of 1972, an ornament was hurled across the room, smashing into the husband’s forehead. “As he flopped into an armchair,” reports Haunted Croydon, “the Christmas tree began to shake violently. Come the New Year and there were footsteps in the bedroom when there was no one there, and one night the couple’s son awoke to find a man in old fashioned dress staring threateningly at him. The family’s fear grew when, as they entertained friends one night, there was a loud knocking at the front door, the living room door was then flung open and all the house’s lights came on.”
Having the house blessed failed to rid the house of the phenomena. Objects flew through the air, loud noises were heard and the family would sometimes hear a noise which suggested some large pieces of furniture… had crashed to the floor. When they went to investigate, nothing would be disturbed.

One does themselves credit by looking at the phenomena being reported in this case(the one I posted) speaks about
  • blaring bedside radio that had somehow turned itself on...tuned to a foreign-language station
  • lampshade repeatedly fell to the floor by some unseen force
  • 1972, an ornament was hurled across the room, smashing into the husband's forehead
  • Objects flew through the air, loud noises were heard and the family would sometimes hear a noise which suggested some large piece of furniture...had crashed to floor
These are but a few of the poltergeist like tendencies that families experience .  This family being one of them.

http://phantomsandmo...tergeist Ordeal

The Thornton Heath poltergeist case is not to be confused with the 1938 case of the same name

Edited by MacQdor, 19 December 2017 - 08:04 PM.

Attitude is your acceptance of the natural laws, or your rejection of the natural laws

#6 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

I stand corrected. I was referencing the famous case. The one from the 70's contains little information and is virtually unheard of. Can you give references to who investigated and what peer review took place? Claims are empty words without references and validation.Your article shows no references whatsoever. Maybe you're guilty of the same charge.

Looking further on the internet I found only a medium and a religious leader involved. No recognized Psychical Research investigated. Could you please point me to further information that might inform me better?

Edited by EVP, 19 December 2017 - 09:19 PM.

#7 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

He doesn't have to prove anything or show facts, EVP... he was simply sharing a fascinating event.

Besides there's very little that anyone can really prove. There are extremely strict rules about that on the other side. And if you do share something amazing and you can prove it... The proof will be taken away and or the person will suffer and probably die for his efforts. So I have given up trying to prove anything. Besides, people have become so cynical these days! No one would believe it anyway. Even in a controlled environment.  

So Evp....please be easy on the members who are sharing stories and/or events... they are my guests. And those kind of tactics will definitely drive them away.

#8 Dazzled Dad

Dazzled Dad

Goblin

• GS Member
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:40 AM

View PostEVP, on 19 December 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

He was mentored by Carl Jung.

Are you sure you didn't mean Sigmund Freud?

#9 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:33 AM

View PostJim@GhostStudy, on 19 December 2017 - 11:13 PM, said:

He doesn't have to prove anything or show facts, EVP... he was simply sharing a fascinating event.

Besides there's very little that anyone can really prove. There are extremely strict rules about that on the other side. And if you do share something amazing and you can prove it... The proof will be taken away and or the person will suffer and probably die for his efforts. So I have given up trying to prove anything. Besides, people have become so cynical these days! No one would believe it anyway. Even in a controlled environment.  

So Evp....please be easy on the members who are sharing stories and/or events... they are my guests. And those kind of tactics will definitely drive them away.

Please refer to my original post Jim. I was making a point about using the word "True" when there was little to verify the story and I asked for references and more details. I admit I was questioning the wrong case but then again the one I as referring to was the most recognized of Fodor's research sharing the exact same name. I asked for information for further research. Isn't it an asset to dig further in to areas or do we accept accounts by people words alone?

If I am not allowed to question other members on sources and it's perceived as rude, how can this be an exchange of ideas? I never said anything out of line.

You and I both agree that the paranormal can't be proven but exploration of the finer details, how it was investigated and anything with supportive evidence can make the different of a true account or a perpetuated myth.

My words were not meant to be challenging. Some of us need no proof of an event while others demand more details to make an assessment. I'm obviously one of the later and I hope that is permitted on this board.

I will not comment any further in this thread.

Edited by EVP, 20 December 2017 - 04:50 AM.

#10 EVP

EVP

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:10 AM

View PostDazzled Dad, on 20 December 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

Are you sure you didn't mean Sigmund Freud?

I'm trying to track down where I have read this specifically in my books. Freud comes up frequently in context with Fodor because of his association with Sandor Ferenczi who also majorly influenced his work. Ferenczi (psychoanalysis) was an associate of Freud and Jung was as well. Freud wrote a letter of approval to Nandor's work when he was under heat with the Thornton Heathrow case. Both Jung and Fodor shared psychoanalytical research.

DD I appreciate the inquiry, it has made me look deeper into my sources which is important. Accuracy is paramount.

Edited by EVP, 20 December 2017 - 04:26 AM.

#11 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

I think we pushed MacQdor away.  :confused:

And as for my statement above (post 7).... I suppose it can be interpreted in a few different ways... but the statement stands as it.

Any further discussion concerning it can be addressed in a PM.

#12 MacQdor

MacQdor

Residual Haunting

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

I'm here.  I've read the comments.

#13 JIMOverSeer

JIMOverSeer

Forum Owner

• Root Admin
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

Cool... glad you're still around, MacQdor.